Comments

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    JB128716 wrote:
    Unthought Known is one of my favorite PJ songs

+1
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    Why do people think the band was "to good" to write backspacer? It's a great cd with songs that will be considered classics along side alive, daughter, betterman etc...

It's amazing how people can have such different opinions. Unthought Known, Supersonic, Amongst The Waves, Got Some and The Fixer are without a doubt in my top 10 worst PJ songs list. Just my opinion but I felt Backspacer was pretty rushed in the end, probably because of side project commitments. The only songs for me which can hold a candle to the classics are Speed Of Sound and The End. I don't think many would accept another album of Backspacer standard songs. I'm glad people like the album but I've never warmed to it. It's probably due another listen.
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    JB128716 wrote:
    Unthought Known is one of my favorite PJ songs

+1

I have to say, same here. As I said in my OP, Backspacer is still a great record. It's fucking Pearl Jam after all. In my mind though, overall, it is their safest album, making it my least favorite. That's all. I just want to really see them branch out for this next one like we've all been talking about.

I love the double album idea, concept album idea, long song opening idea... Achilles Last Stand and In My Time Of Dying comparisons are great... That would be amazing. I can definitely get into a 'Physical Graffiti' a la Pearl Jam.

Most of all though, I have to say I want to hear loads of different instruments and strange musical blends and transitions. A lot of Radiohead lately has done this to me. PJ is still my fav band easily over them... Which makes me unable to help thinking of them taking sort of Radiohead's approach and making something totally different and crazy. It would be amazing.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    The last thing I'd want to hear is pj being influenced any by radiohead! Lol. Keep making rock and fucking roll and I won't ever complain!
    :thumbup: :thumbup:
  • Options
    DP13DP13 Posts: 269
    Agree 100%

This band pushed the envelope and alienated the masses when it was on the top of the world. Now the past decade or so where they have only percentage points of the following they had in 1994, they seem to be content with churning out "Dad Rock". Don't get me wrong, I like a good Who song as much as anyone, but I am just surprised it is the route the band has taken. It doesn't make a ton of sense. The fan base that is left will be here as long as the band wants to exist. Not sure why they are concerned with not rocking the boat and attempting radio success has come now that now, when the Itunes generation couldn't care less.

The best stuff Ed/PJ have done since Binaural is Into the Wild and Man of the Hour. I feel the book/movie concepts focused Ed, and brought the best out of him. Maybe a concept album would do the same for PJ.

The little interviews and comments we have gotten from the band seem recently to suggest they might be leaning this way. Excited to hear/see what might come of their next effort.
  • Options
    The AkkusThe Akkus Posts: 1,093
    Pearl Jam should invite Jack Irons back to the band. Let Jack drum on half the songs, Matt drum on the other half. Would allow Matt enough energy for an SG/PJ tour. A No Code/Yield/Binaural hybrid album would be epic :D

In all actuality, I am just craving something epic like a new Nothingman :)
    1998 - Noblesville * Knoxville
    2000 - Noblesville * Cincinnati * Columbus
    2003 - Lexington * East Troy * Noblesville* Columbus
    2006 - Cincinnati
    2008 - NYC night 1 * NYC night 2
    2009 - EV Solo Nashville
    2010 - Columbus * Noblesville * Cleveland
    2011 - East Troy night 1 * East Troy night 2
    2014 - Cincinnati
    2016 - Greenville * Lexington
  • Options
    The Akkus wrote:
    Pearl Jam should invite Jack Irons back to the band. Let Jack drum on half the songs, Matt drum on the other half. Would allow Matt enough energy for an SG/PJ tour. A No Code/Yield/Binaural hybrid album would be epic :D

In all actuality, I am just craving something epic like a new Nothingman :)

How fucking great would that be? I would Love to hear jack pounding those drums again with pj.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,270
    I personally don't want to see any radical changes to their sound. I love the PJ we have now (and you can guarantee the "What the hell are PJ doing?" threads on here would far outweigh the supportive ones!) but it would be cool if the band started writing longer songs, even cooler if it was in the Neil Young & Crazy Horse mould!

Get Stone to write some killer riffs and just let Mike loose! No need for any Radioshite influence or any weird instruments, just jam out! As veddertown said, they have stretched songs out on stage before so we know they can handle it. It would need to be a bit more structured than Of The Earth though...
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    The AkkusThe Akkus Posts: 1,093
    goldrush wrote:
    I personally don't want to see any radical changes to their sound. I love the PJ we have now (and you can guarantee the "What the hell are PJ doing?" threads on here would far outweigh the supportive ones!) but it would be cool if the band started writing longer songs, even cooler if it was in the Neil Young & Crazy Horse mould!

Get Stone to write some killer riffs and just let Mike loose! No need for any Radioshite influence or any weird instruments, just jam out! As veddertown said, they have stretched songs out on stage before so we know they can handle it. It would need to be a bit more structured than Of The Earth though...

I agree... Maybe another Uncle Neal pep talk, Merkinball intervention.
    1998 - Noblesville * Knoxville
    2000 - Noblesville * Cincinnati * Columbus
    2003 - Lexington * East Troy * Noblesville* Columbus
    2006 - Cincinnati
    2008 - NYC night 1 * NYC night 2
    2009 - EV Solo Nashville
    2010 - Columbus * Noblesville * Cleveland
    2011 - East Troy night 1 * East Troy night 2
    2014 - Cincinnati
    2016 - Greenville * Lexington
  • Options
    goldrush wrote:

I see what you are saying in many ways. Certain things just aren't pj. I need to stop mentioning Radiohead, because I clearly wasn't explaining it right. I certainly don't want pj to make music that sounds even remotely like Radiohead, that's not them. I just meant that they are a good example of a band that experiments in whatever way fits them, each album... Something pj did much more in the Vitalogy - Riot Act stretch.

I'd really like to see them do something in the vein of Physical Graffiti or Houses of the Holy... Experimental, but in ways that make sense for them. Some long tunes, some short ones, some weird ones, some rockin ones, etc...
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,250
    In my opinion:
    Stone needs to write more.
    Ed needs to write less.
    Drop the "punk" sound.
    More original riffs (Stone)
    More original guitar leads (Mike)
    Upbeat songs need more Matt feel.
    Acoustic is always a plus.
    Experimentation has been lacking for years.
    More bluesy sound.
    Understand Ed's actual range.
    Get a fn album out!
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    :wave:

just keep doing what you guys do.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    In my opinion:
    Ed needs to write less.
    Drop the "punk" sound.
    More bluesy sound.
    Get a fn album out!

I agree with every single thing you just said.

But even with experimentation lacking they put out great records.
    I find Avocado to be garage rock perfection. Some of their best harder songs ever... and then you got Inside Job, Army Reserve, Gone... oh my... While it lacks experimentation, I find it phenomenal and much better than Backspacer (which I do still really like).

But enough of that rant... you were right with all the shit you said. Just time for a bit of a change.
  • Options
    Oceans 98Oceans 98 Posts: 232
    Does anyone else sense a little conflict within the band about what the new album should sound like, just like us in a sense? Stone has said that the new album would be like nothing they have done before, Mike has said the album will be a typical PJ album with your heavy songs, ballads, and a few in between, and Jeff has mentioned the album on occasion but seems to be a little standoffish about it and focusing on RNDM. Makes me curious to know if they even have an idea of what they are going to do.
    St. Louis 07/02/98, St. Louis 10/11/00, New York 07/08/03, New York 07/09/03, Chicago 05/16/06, Chicago 05/17/06, Bridge School 10/21/06, Bridge School 10/22/06, Chicago 07/05/07, Chicago 07/24/09, Kansas City 05/03/10, St Louis 05/04/10, PJ20 09/03/11, PJ20 09/04/11, Chicago 07/19/13, St. Louis 10/03/14, Ohana 09/24/21 (EV/Earthings), Ohana 09/25/21 (EV/Earthlings), Ohana 09/26/21, Nashville 09/16/22, Louisville 09/17/22, St. Louis 09/18/22, Oklahoma City 09/20/22

• Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,691
    goldrush wrote:

Thank god im not the only one.

if Pj went into that electronica shite I'd be heartbroken, disappearing up their arses with a Kid A album would be a disaster IMO.

It seems to me that the guys are embracing acoustic guitars more - and we might expect some acoustic tunes in the new record - the photo from the studio reinforced that. Eds new Loud Uke song, and the pump organ tune were great to hear and they werent far out and crazy - the guy knows how to write a tune these days, so please keep the radically different shit firmly in the box.

Of the Earth hasnt made it to a record and has been in the miox for 6 years plus, theres a reason for that.
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    mca47 wrote:
    In my opinion:
    Ed needs to write less.
    Drop the "punk" sound.
    More bluesy sound.
    Get a fn album out!

This
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    edited January 2013
    Why do people think the band was "to good" to write backspacer? It's a great cd with songs that will be considered classics along side alive, daughter, betterman etc...

Just, no. The last show 3 shows I've attended, where there were 20k people pumping their fists during Alive and turning to talk to a friend during Unthought Known was pretty indicative of that.
    mca47 wrote:
    In my opinion:
    Ed needs to write less.
    Drop the "punk" sound.
    More bluesy sound.
    Get a fn album out!

I agree with most of this. I've always thought that their unsuccessful attempts at punk far outnumbered anything close to a solid song in that vein.
    I've been feeling for a while that PJ needs their "Achilles Last Stand" or "In My Time of Dying".

I don't think they really ever had that in them, even during their prime. Inside Job is their longest tune to date and while it's an ok song, it just takes a long time to get where it's going with the long intro and slower pace. The transitions and arrangement aren't nearly as interesting as something like Faithfull or In My Tree, let alone 2 of the best tunes from the best band ever.

I get the feeling that Ed having so much control has finally become a detriment to the motivation of others. There have been some really great songs left off albums since Binaural. It seems like Jeff and Stone in particular are bringing fewer of their "weird" tunes in these days.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    mca47 wrote:
    In my opinion:
    Ed needs to write less.
    Drop the "punk" sound.
    More bluesy sound.
    Get a fn album out!
    This^
    And I'll add: more creative control to Jeff and Stone.
    Less Boom.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,149
    mca47 wrote:
    In my opinion:
    Ed needs to write less.
    Drop the "punk" sound.
    More bluesy sound.
    Get a fn album out!
    come on...i think all agree with this!!!!!!!!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    mca47 wrote:
    In my opinion:
    Ed needs to write less.
    Drop the "punk" sound.
    More bluesy sound.
    Get a fn album out!
    come on...i think all agree with this!!!!!!!!!!

Calling Mr McCready!!! Calling Mr McCready!!! He's not been seen on a Pearl Jam record since 2006.....
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    boyo79 wrote:
    Calling Mr McCready!!! Calling Mr McCready!!! He's not been seen on a Pearl Jam record since 2006.....

Seems like he the most input of anybody not named Ed on Backspacer.
  • Options
    To go along with what you guys are saying, I agree.. MUCH more Stone and Jeff writing is needed.
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,213
    Oceans 98 wrote:
    I would love to see them do a progressive rock album.

+1 Like Pavlov's Dog! :D

Defending BS: From the PJ20 movie (Disc 3): Stone Gossard: It's funny, but lots of those decisions we made, it took 10 years to see why they were good. You know, in terms of how we developed the fan club, and that kind of... Doing these posters and doing all this stuff, when you first start doing it, it's like, "Yeah, of course we can do this". And then you do it for a while and all of a sudden it becomes this thing. It's like... You just go, "God. Thank God we just keep trusting our instincts".
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    +1 Like Pavlov's Dog! :D

Haha! I was thinking more along the lines of Pink Floyd or maybe even Tool, but not quite as dark and as Tool, you get the drift (:
    Post edited by Oceans 98 on
    St. Louis 07/02/98, St. Louis 10/11/00, New York 07/08/03, New York 07/09/03, Chicago 05/16/06, Chicago 05/17/06, Bridge School 10/21/06, Bridge School 10/22/06, Chicago 07/05/07, Chicago 07/24/09, Kansas City 05/03/10, St Louis 05/04/10, PJ20 09/03/11, PJ20 09/04/11, Chicago 07/19/13, St. Louis 10/03/14, Ohana 09/24/21 (EV/Earthings), Ohana 09/25/21 (EV/Earthlings), Ohana 09/26/21, Nashville 09/16/22, Louisville 09/17/22, St. Louis 09/18/22, Oklahoma City 09/20/22

• Options
    I really hope they do nothing like Radiohead because that bands music has sucked for so long with all of that electronic shit. Pearl Jam would never do anything that awful. Radiohead does it just to be different and it sucks they have not put out a good album since the 90's.
  • Options
    I really hope they do nothing like Radiohead because that bands music has sucked for so long with all of that electronic shit. Pearl Jam would never do anything that awful. Radiohead does it just to be different and it sucks they have not put out a good album since the 90's.

+1 totally agree, maybe they could collaborate on a Boom Gasper solo record. That's about as electronic as I see them going.

• Options
    Oceans 98 wrote:

+1 totally agree, maybe they could collaborate on a Boom Gasper solo record. That's about as electronic as I see them going.

The stuff from Kid A on will never be on par with The Bends and OK Computer, but they've had 2 albums this century in Hail to the Thief and In Rainbows that I wouldn't classify as electronic and they're both really great. I agree it seems like they're lookin up their own asses quite a bit with some of that electronic bs, especially King of Limbs.
  • Options
    I like their albums from the 90s. Anything the past decade from them has been a bit of a disappointment for me.
    DewieCox wrote:
    Oceans 98 wrote:

The stuff from Kid A on will never be on par with The Bends and OK Computer, but they've had 2 albums this century in Hail to the Thief and In Rainbows that I wouldn't classify as electronic and they're both really great. I agree it seems like they're lookin up their own asses quite a bit with some of that electronic bs, especially King of Limbs.

• Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,691
    Radiohead could have been one of the biggest bands on the planet......
  • Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    they've never done a same as album yet so they sure wont start now we will just have to wait and see ........................its just the waiting i dont like but hey ho good things you have to wait for ..................like my wife making breakfast ..............he says out-load ................oopppps i think shes got the hint :lol::lol: