Options

football championship > rape victim

Comments

• Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    And this dickhead on the video isn't going to be held accountable for anything.

Actually, he probably will be accountable in that his name is out there on the internet saying these despicable things and looking like a non-human.

Any employer who does a search on him will come across this video. I think his life is not going to be too easy after this.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Aside from the pathological narcissism and complete void of empathy on the part of the assailants, wtf is wrong with all of the people who witnessed this and did nothing to intervene? About 7 minutes in you hear 2 guys in the background begin saying that it's rape and it's wrong and asking what if it happened to your daughter or sister, but no one did anything to stop the assault. And this dickhead on the video isn't going to be held accountable for anything. A similar thing happened after the Richmond, CA rape when 20 bystanders stood around and watched and texted pictures of a savage gang rape, but none of them were charged because there were no bystander laws on the books. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Richm ... _gang_rape

It astounds me that cases like this with multiple witnesses are so hard to prosecute. The Deanza gang rape case went without any criminal charges because the victim was too drunk to be a good witness, despite the fact that there were 3 witnesses that pulled her out of the party and took her to the hospital.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=7770835
    http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=7770899
    http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=7770924

There needs to be an entire culture shift. As long as people pretend like this only happens because the victims drank too much, etc, this will continue to happen. Getting drunk doesn't cause someone to get gang raped. People feeling entitled to do what they want to someone else's body and having others who stand by and support that belief causes it to happen.

legally im not sure the kid broke any laws or is required to act (teachers, healthcare workers etc are)...morally indefensible, in-despicable...reality his life is ruined.
    im not so sure that osu can kick him out of school either, if they do they will be defending a lawsuit.

imagine what his friends and family think of him, imagine what his girlfriend thinks, future girlfriends, wife, daughter...
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,621
    There needs to be an entire culture shift. As long as people pretend like this only happens because the victims drank too much, etc, this will continue to happen. Getting drunk doesn't cause someone to get gang raped. People feeling entitled to do what they want to someone else's body and having others who stand by and support that belief causes it to happen.

Agree 100%. NeilJam posted that people at OSU, where the asswipe that made this video is a student, are making issues for him. If I went there and saw this kid I would have a tough time not becoming a criminal myself and beating him bloody for the content of that video and his attitude. Damn, this is disturbing.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    know1 wrote:
    And this dickhead on the video isn't going to be held accountable for anything.

Actually, he probably will be accountable in that his name is out there on the internet saying these despicable things and looking like a non-human.

Any employer who does a search on him will come across this video. I think his life is not going to be too easy after this.
    that brings some relief and hopefully based on the link NeilJam posted he will lose his scholarship and be expelled from school. I'd like to see more accountability within the criminal justice system for this kind of behavior though.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Options
    JC29856 wrote:
    Aside from the pathological narcissism and complete void of empathy on the part of the assailants, wtf is wrong with all of the people who witnessed this and did nothing to intervene? About 7 minutes in you hear 2 guys in the background begin saying that it's rape and it's wrong and asking what if it happened to your daughter or sister, but no one did anything to stop the assault. And this dickhead on the video isn't going to be held accountable for anything. A similar thing happened after the Richmond, CA rape when 20 bystanders stood around and watched and texted pictures of a savage gang rape, but none of them were charged because there were no bystander laws on the books. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Richm ... _gang_rape

It astounds me that cases like this with multiple witnesses are so hard to prosecute. The Deanza gang rape case went without any criminal charges because the victim was too drunk to be a good witness, despite the fact that there were 3 witnesses that pulled her out of the party and took her to the hospital.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=7770835
    http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=7770899
    http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=7770924

legally im not sure the kid broke any laws or is required to act (teachers, healthcare workers etc are)...morally indefensible, in-despicable...reality his life is ruined.
    im not so sure that osu can kick him out of school either, if they do they will be defending a lawsuit.

imagine what his friends and family think of him, imagine what his girlfriend thinks, future girlfriends, wife, daughter...
    that's what is frustrating - that many times there are no laws to hold someone accountable for this. He didn't just look the other way. This is encouraging the crime and then helping to cover it up.
    Forgot to add - in many states, such as NJ, everyone is considered a mandated reported, not just health care workers, teachers, etc.

• Options
    http://www.nemannlawoffices.com/bio/adam-l-nemann.cfm

The attorney is saying that he is fearful that because of all of the national attention he is fearful that his client and potential witnesses will be physically harmed from those seeking vigilante justice.

and this doosy...
    One of the attorneys, Adam Nemann, told the Times that the girl was able to consent because she was able to remember her cellphone code after the alleged assault. He also added that she had posted comments and photos on Twitter and Facebook, which, he says, demonstrate she was sexually active and "clearly engaged in at-risk behavior".
    Apparently, you can't be raped unless you're a virgin.

This attorney considers passed out drunk and/or drugged and described as "so dead" as "sexually active". He considers "at risk" behavior of being raped and sodomized as drinking and partying with friends and ex boyfriends.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,621
    JC29856 wrote:

The attorney is saying that he is fearful that because of all of the national attention he is fearful that his client and potential witnesses will be physically harmed from those seeking vigilante justice.

Ahhh, those poor people.
    There is no chance of innocence here as far as the jackass that made the tape.
    Wake Up, Rage Against The Machine "...what you reap, is what you sow!"
  • Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,071
    JC29856 wrote:

and this doosy...
    One of the attorneys, Adam Nemann, told the Times that the girl was able to consent because she was able to remember her cellphone code after the alleged assault. He also added that she had posted comments and photos on Twitter and Facebook, which, he says, demonstrate she was sexually active and "clearly engaged in at-risk behavior".

This attorney considers passed out drunk and/or drugged and described as "so dead" as "sexually active". He considers "at risk" behavior of being raped and sodomized as drinking and partying with friends and ex boyfriends.

As an attorney, I can tell you, the guy's doing his job. I think his client is scum, but he wasn't paid to sell his client out. He was paid to protect his client's interests.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    vant0037 wrote:
    JC29856 wrote:

and this doosy...

As an attorney, I can tell you, the guy's doing his job. I think his client is scum, but he wasn't paid to sell his client out. He was paid to protect his client's interests.
    So you are saying he was just hard up for a pay check? I mean he isn't a public defender so he wasn't forced to take this case, correct?
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    JC29856 wrote:

and this doosy...

I know what you're saying here, but an attorney's job is to defend their clients. It's doubtful he would say these things if he wasn't in their employ.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    vant0037 wrote:
    JC29856 wrote:

and this doosy...

i agree 100% that its his job to protect his clients interests... i just dont think making ludicrous statements like the ones above protect his client. in fact i think it does the opposite, but maybe he is a genius and inciting rage is his game plan. talk to the press, make outrageous statements as to try to ensure his client cant / wont get a fair trial. i personally would have went with the classic "we dont want this tried in the media or in the court of public opinion, online or by some cyber vigilante group, we will continue to cooperate with investigators, hope for a fair trial and let the facts and circumstances speak for themselves"
    whats your take???
  • Options
    vant0037 wrote:
    JC29856 wrote:

and this doosy...

So you are saying he was just hard up for a pay check? I mean he isn't a public defender so he wasn't forced to take this case, correct?

Could be. I don't know. But the point is, he was hired to represent his client. I don't think anyone would like a world where you can't find someone to represent you in a court.

Like I said, I'm not defending the kid or the lawyer. You're correct that the lawyer didn't have to take the case. I wouldn't. But that begs the question: what if no one takes the case? Is this kid just shit out of luck in terms of due process and his right to an attorney? I'm not sure we want to be in the business of castigating attorneys hired to represent unpopular defendants. We may not like what they say, we may hate their clients, but a nation where people aren't afforded representation is worse.

Remember: John Adams represented British soldiers because he believed in due process. Regardless of what we think of this piece of shit, he has a right to an attorney and his attorney then has an obligation to do his job. We don't have to agree with it, but that's what juries are for. For now, hate the kid. But don't hate his right to an attorney or his attorney's attempts (albe-they disgusting) to do his job.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    JC29856 wrote:
    but maybe he is a genius and inciting rage is his game plan. talk to the press, make outrageous statements as to try to ensure his client cant / wont get a fair trial.
    whats your take???

That might be exactly what he's trying to do. In a smaller community like that...shit...a change of venue is the only hope that kid has (slim chances to begin with, mind you), but even that doesn't avoid the incredibly inciteful video tape evidence.

Now...the bigger question will be...can the prosecutors string together the authenticity of this video? Its one thing if this is a surveillance video, but if an online hacker group is your source, would anyone come to court to testify as to its contents? Or how they got it? Or where they got it from? I'm just shooting from the hip here, but my guess is these will all be questions the prosecution and defense haggle over (in or out of public view).
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    vant0037 wrote:
    JC29856 wrote:
    but maybe he is a genius and inciting rage is his game plan. talk to the press, make outrageous statements as to try to ensure his client cant / wont get a fair trial.
    whats your take???

That might be exactly what he's trying to do. In a smaller community like that...shit...a change of venue is the only hope that kid has (slim chances to begin with, mind you), but even that doesn't avoid the incredibly inciteful video tape evidence.

Now...the bigger question will be...can the prosecutors string together the authenticity of this video? Its one thing if this is a surveillance video, but if an online hacker group is your source, would anyone come to court to testify as to its contents? Or how they got it? Or where they got it from? I'm just shooting from the hip here, but my guess is these will all be questions the prosecution and defense haggle over (in or out of public view).

i hear ya, it could be a groundbreaking case. the videos arent from the hack group they are from the youtube cache, same with the tweets, instagram and facbook postings all from cache after user deletion. im curious what happens the those that that witnessed all of this and did nothing and i mean not just the guys seen or heard on the video, those that were at the parties and etc.
  • Options
    JC29856 wrote:
    vant0037 wrote:
    JC29856 wrote:
    whats your take???

i hear ya, it could be a groundbreaking case. the videos arent from the hack group they are from the youtube cache, same with the tweets, instagram and facbook postings all from cache after user deletion. im curious what happens the those that that witnessed all of this and did nothing and i mean not just the guys seen or heard on the video, those that were at the parties and etc.
    vant may be able to speak more to this than I can, but Ohio does have a bystander law if the perpetrators are charged with a felony and if the guy in the video is charged with helping to conceal the crime.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/some ... tander-law
    "Among other Midwest states, only Ohio has a bystander law. A federal law makes it a crime to conceal a felony, but does not punish those who witness a crime and don't report it."

Bystander issues have become a big issue with these kinds of crimes and most prevention programs focus on bystander intervention.

• Options
    I will be cheering the BCS championship game tonight with my Notre Dame jersey on, #19 "Seeberg"

GO FIGHTING IRISH

http://ncronline.org/news/accountabilit ... ns-answers

This statement speaks of the University of Notre Dame as a place of teaching and research, of scholarship and publication, of service and community. These components flow from three characteristics of Roman Catholicism that image Jesus Christ, his Gospel, and his Spirit. A sacramental vision encounters God in the whole of creation. In and through the visible world in which we live, we come to know and experience the invisible God. In mediation the Catholic vision perceives God not only present in but working through persons, events, and material things. There is an intelligibility and a coherence to all reality, discoverable through spirit, mind, and imagination. God's grace prompts human activity to assist the world in creating justice grounded in love. God's way to us comes as communion, through the communities in which men and women live. This community includes the many theological traditions, liturgies, and spiritualities that fashion the life of the Church. The emphasis on community in Catholicism explains why Notre Dame historically has fostered familial bonds in its institutional life.

A Catholic university draws its basic inspiration from Jesus Christ as the source of wisdom and from the conviction that in him all things can be brought to their completion. As a Catholic university, Notre Dame wishes to contribute to this educational mission.

The University of Notre Dame is a Catholic academic community of higher learning, animated from its origins by the Congregation of Holy Cross. The University is dedicated to the pursuit and sharing of truth for its own sake. As a Catholic university, one of its distinctive goals is to provide a forum where, through free inquiry and open discussion, the various lines of Catholic thought may intersect with all the forms of knowledge found in the arts, sciences, professions, and every other area of human scholarship and creativity.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,195
    JC29856 wrote:
    I will be cheering the BCS championship game tonight with my Notre Dame jersey on, #19 "Seeberg"

GO FIGHTING IRISH

http://ncronline.org/news/accountabilit ... ns-answers

This statement speaks of the University of Notre Dame as a place of teaching and research, of scholarship and publication, of service and community. These components flow from three characteristics of Roman Catholicism that image Jesus Christ, his Gospel, and his Spirit. A sacramental vision encounters God in the whole of creation. In and through the visible world in which we live, we come to know and experience the invisible God. In mediation the Catholic vision perceives God not only present in but working through persons, events, and material things. There is an intelligibility and a coherence to all reality, discoverable through spirit, mind, and imagination. God's grace prompts human activity to assist the world in creating justice grounded in love. God's way to us comes as communion, through the communities in which men and women live. This community includes the many theological traditions, liturgies, and spiritualities that fashion the life of the Church. The emphasis on community in Catholicism explains why Notre Dame historically has fostered familial bonds in its institutional life.

A Catholic university draws its basic inspiration from Jesus Christ as the source of wisdom and from the conviction that in him all things can be brought to their completion. As a Catholic university, Notre Dame wishes to contribute to this educational mission.

The University of Notre Dame is a Catholic academic community of higher learning, animated from its origins by the Congregation of Holy Cross. The University is dedicated to the pursuit and sharing of truth for its own sake. As a Catholic university, one of its distinctive goals is to provide a forum where, through free inquiry and open discussion, the various lines of Catholic thought may intersect with all the forms of knowledge found in the arts, sciences, professions, and every other area of human scholarship and creativity.

isn't it funny how Notre Dame people try and act all high and mighty. The Seeberg story is very sad and disturbing
  • Options
    the alleged rapist will be in uniform and on the field tonight. there is speculation to who the player is
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,195
    norm wrote:

disgusting reporting by CNN. should be no sympathy for those 2 boys. they showed a callous disregard for this girl. f them
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    pjhawks wrote:
    norm wrote:

disgusting reporting by CNN. should be no sympathy for those 2 boys. they showed a callous disregard for this girl. f them

i think the court attorney or was it the judge said it best ... this isn't a stuebenville problem ... it's a nation problem ...
  • Options
    What about the pieces of human garbage that commented on those videos taken during the parties? I hope they get some justice as well.
    It is an all around sad story, a truly sad problem that people find actions like this OK, funny, tolerable, etc. Most sad for this girl who is likely changed for life by this whole atrocity. Sad all around. It is hard to watch the young man realize what the impact of his actions are but I have to wonder if he felt that way when he woke up the next morning, sober, and realized what an animal he behaved like. Just all around sad. These kids should all have to do more than a year or 2 for what they did to this poor girl though.
    I also wonder if the CNN reporter watched the video footage of the kids talking about this incident and if that would have changed her stance at all.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Yeah, the sentence for the one young man (if that's what you could even call him) seemed like a fuck-you-slap to the woman who was raped...photographed...treated like a piece of shit.

Worse, really.

Good on the scumbag if he actually digested the gravity of his actions. Live with it and have it eat at you on a daily and nightly basis...again, like the woman you ravaged.

I don't get these supposed punishments. Like the dude in Colorado who was sentenced to two years for repeatedly raping a 13-yr-old girl.

TWO YEARS. That's it?

I say take the judges down too.

Lenient motherfuckers.
  • Options
    apparently the court attorney is not done with this case by a long shot ... he's going after the kids that took videos and distributed stuff ... no one talked in this investigation ... all them kids are gonna be subpoenaed to a grand jury ... you can expect more charges ...
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    hedonist wrote:

Lenient motherfuckers.

+1
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    hedonist wrote:

Lenient motherfuckers.

+1

judges have a criminal code to work with ... it's not like the sentences are arbitrary ... you have to change the criminal code ...
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    polaris_x wrote:
    redrock wrote:
    hedonist wrote:

Lenient motherfuckers.

+1

judges have a criminal code to work with ... it's not like the sentences are arbitrary ... you have to change the criminal code ...

True, but they have a lot of leeway within that code and their sentencing. Judges are far from being perfectly impartial. They also allow their own sentiments to influence their sentencing.

Edit: was wondering what the average was and found this: "Under federal law the punishment for rape can range from a fine to Life imprisonment". Depending on the 'type' of rape and where it happened (and the judge). Average seems to be 8 years.
    Post edited by redrock on
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I just did a search for the standard sentences in Ohio for rape (NOT what I'd like to google on a Monday morning - hell, ANYtime) - couldn't find a straight-up answer, which in itself is ridiculous.

I just find it hard to believe that a judge's hands were tied in doling out a heavier, and just, sentence.

Shameful.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Hedonist - check my edit. The judges DO have a LOT of leeway!

I have no pity for these 'nice young men with such a bright future' and the judge shouldn't have had any either.
    Post edited by redrock on
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    True, but they have a lot of leeway within that code and their sentencing. Judges are far from being perfectly impartial. They also allow their own sentiments to influence their sentencing.

Edit: was wondering what the average was and found this: "Under federal law the punishment for rape can range from a fine to Life imprisonment". Depending on the 'type' of rape and where it happened (and the judge). Average seems to be 8 years.

remember these kids were tried as juveniles ... not adults ... it's different ... the judge pretty much said if they were tried as adults ... they've would've gotten way stiffer sentences ...