Consenting adult sex is criminal now?

Hugh Freaking DillonHugh Freaking Dillon Posts: 14,010
edited January 2013 in A Moving Train
while this is depraved behaviour, this is NOT criminal.

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2012/08/15/t ... udents-sex

UPDATE: High school teacher Brittni Colleps has been found guilty of having sex with five of her students. Colleps was convicted on 16 counts of improper relationship between an educator and student. The jury took less than an hour to reach their verdict. She could face up to 20 years in prison.

High school teacher Brittni Colleps was accused of having affairs with five of her students.

Colleps, a 27-year-old married mother of three, was accused of using text messages to pursue five 18-year-old students. There was a video shown in court that allegedly shows Colleps having group sex with four of the young men in her home.

Colleps' husband, who is in the military, was stationed out of state during the time of the alleged affairs. He says he is standing by his wife. If convicted, Colleps could face 20 years in prison.
Gimli 1993
Fargo 2003
Winnipeg 2005
Winnipeg 2011
St. Paul 2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    I understand that, technically, the boys were 18 and therefore legally adults, however, the teacher violated the authority relationship that exists between them. I don't know what her contract states but mine has a "morality" clause in it, if you will. While I don't know if that constitutes criminal proceedings I would say that teachers have extra duties and responsibilities that go along with the job, including not violating a student.
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    while her behavior is definitely depraved
    it should not be illegal
    lose her job? absolutely
    but not her freedom
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • pretty sure she knew getting gangbanged by her students could get her in trouble. That was probably part of the thrill of it for her. ....if she didn't know that she shouldn't have been teaching anyone.
    Hope it was worth it.
  • riotgrl wrote:
    I understand that, technically, the boys were 18 and therefore legally adults, however, the teacher violated the authority relationship that exists between them. I don't know what her contract states but mine has a "morality" clause in it, if you will. While I don't know if that constitutes criminal proceedings I would say that teachers have extra duties and responsibilities that go along with the job, including not violating a student.

This is a pathetic display of behaviour by the teacher and I do not condone it at all. Obviously she should lose her job and she should be filled with shame. But I guarantee the boys never brought charges towards her. I'm pretty sure they were high-fiving leaving 'the den'.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    pretty sure she knew getting gangbanged by her students could get her in trouble. That was probably part of the thrill of it for her. ....if she didn't know that she shouldn't have been teaching anyone.
    Hope it was worth it.

and any woman that has sex with that many boys is sick in the head anyfuckingway

• mysticweed wrote:
    pretty sure she knew getting gangbanged by her students could get her in trouble. That was probably part of the thrill of it for her. ....if she didn't know that she shouldn't have been teaching anyone.
    Hope it was worth it.

and any woman that has sex with that many boys is sick in the head anyfuckingway

and her husband is standing behind her. Much like the 5 boys did in turn. :lol:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    mysticweed wrote:
    Hope it was worth it.

:lol:

were i her husband i don't think i could ever go back in there

• mysticweed wrote:

were i her husband i don't think i could ever go back in there
    odds are this isnt her first GB - he probably likes to watch -- they are probably into some weird shit -- which is all good but you can't fuck your students. she just had to wait a few months for them to graduate
  • It is a crime to take advantage of a position of power such as a teacher. This is what folks didn't get about the Clinton-Lewinsky thing. It is criminal to do stuff like from a position of powert regardless of either party's intent.

Now, you can argue we should change those laws. But, you should study the can of worms before you open it.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Doesnt appear to be criminal but shit, can you imagine this poor husband? His wife tag teams the senior basketball team while he is deployed? Wow.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Doesnt appear to be criminal but shit, can you imagine this poor husband? His wife tag teams the senior basketball team while he is deployed? Wow.

How do you know he wasn't "watching?"

As someone said above - you don't stand by this if you weren't condoning it. And the only plausible reason is that there is some reciprocation of enjoyment somehow.

To each his/her own, but this is criminal because of her position (forgive the pun).
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I feel for her children more than anything...how do you explain this to them? That part is even more fucked up than her actions. If she could be so stupid and careless with herself and her students, it makes me wonder what other breaches in life she has committed.

Any way you roll it, I guess "Brittni" will be taking on a whole new line of work.
  • Doesnt appear to be criminal but shit, can you imagine this poor husband? His wife tag teams the senior basketball team while he is deployed? Wow.

As someone said above - you don't stand by this if you weren't condoning it. And the only plausible reason is that there is some reciprocation of enjoyment somehow.

To each his/her own, but this is criminal because of her position (forgive the pun).

but it's not criminal under the law. and we know he wasn't watching because he was out of town while the alleged bang happened.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • It is a crime to take advantage of a position of power such as a teacher. This is what folks didn't get about the Clinton-Lewinsky thing. It is criminal to do stuff like from a position of powert regardless of either party's intent.

Now, you can argue we should change those laws. But, you should study the can of worms before you open it.

it's a crime if the "victim" is not legally an adult. it can be sexual harassment, or maybe sexual misconduct, but not jail time, especially not up to 20 years. that's just a waste of the taxpayer's money. they are using a law that is meant for underage students, not students who are adults. it's abuse of the legal system.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • surely if she gets a lawyer she can avoid jail time

it's a crime if the "victim" is not legally an adult. it can be sexual harassment, or maybe sexual misconduct, but not jail time, especially not up to 20 years. that's just a waste of the taxpayer's money. they are using a law that is meant for underage students, not students who are adults. it's abuse of the legal system.

I tend to agree with this. I don't think the young men are scarred from this encounter. This is an employment issue and a professionalism issue. She needs to lose her job. She needs to lose her license. The law needs to focus on other things- surely there are more criminal things that need attention than this case of perversion?

but it's not criminal under the law. and we know he wasn't watching because he was out of town while the alleged bang happened.

Don't take everything so literal. If there's video for the courtroom, might there be video for someone else?

I tend to agree with this. I don't think the young men are scarred from this encounter. This is an employment issue and a professionalism issue. She needs to lose her job. She needs to lose her license. The law needs to focus on other things- surely there are more criminal things that need attention than this case of perversion?

So, we're saying some laws are more important than others? Why is it one or the other?

Anyway, I do agree that jail time seems a bit silly in this case, and as mookie said above - if she gets a decent lawyer, she won't be doing jail time.
  • For my people, consenting adult sex has only been legal for about 12 years and the GOP lost their shit.

However... If having sex with 5 18 year-old men is a crime, I would be on death row.
  • mysticweed wrote:
    Hope it was worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcYppAs6ZdI
    I carried a watermelon
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    edited December 2012
    It's definitely official misconduct and an abuse of power since the teacher had authority over the kids. She should lose her job and be prevented from teaching or working in an official capacity with kids again. Age 18 is the age of full consent in most states (meaning that by this age people can legally consent to sex with anyone, including people who have authority over them - including a parent :? ), but I agree with Edson in that I don't know if someone can really consent to someone who has authority over you. If these were 18 year olds she had met in any other capacity it would be a different story. Definitely an ethical and moral violation that would result in civil sanctions, but I think they will be hard pressed to get criminal charges to stick.
    Post edited by comebackgirl on
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • So, we're saying some laws are more important than others? Why is it one or the other?

Anyway, I do agree that jail time seems a bit silly in this case, and as mookie said above - if she gets a decent lawyer, she won't be doing jail time.

I'm not really saying that- although that's how it read. I'm saying that they are making something out of nothing.
  • So, we're saying some laws are more important than others? Why is it one or the other?

I'm not really saying that- although that's how it read. I'm saying that they are making something out of nothing.

How do you know? I'm not saying you're not right, but without knowing all the facts, I'd tend to err on the side that the law should be used until otherwise indicated. Could one of the 18 year olds be of limited capacity in some way? And, you can't simply ignore the reality of the power she held and the slippery slope of loopholes the legal system would create if one were to ignore certain cases and not others. Do you really want to give defense attorneys more ammunition when what you perceive as a "real" case arises?

I'll trust they can handle this case and the armed robbery cases they are doing.
  • For my people, consenting adult sex has only been legal for about 12 years and the GOP lost their shit.

However... If having sex with 5 18 year-old men is a crime, I would be on death row.

If those 5 18 year olds were students in the public school where you taught, it might be.
  • klusterfukklusterfuk Posts: 1,411
    not gonna touch this one.
    The future's paved with better days

Alpine Valley Resort is etched in my brain!!!

• Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    She's already been sentenced. I think she got 7 years. Her teaching certification has been revoked for life.

This happened in a small town about 10 miles from where I live. The students she had sex with were all over the age of consent and none felt that she should be charged with a crime. However, in Texas the law states that it's illegal for school personnel to have sex with students. Period. They didn't have to be her students or even go to school where she taught. They didn't have to be underage. It's still illegal.

The whole situation generated plenty of discussion around here about what kind of punishment she should have faced. Some people think she should have gotten the maximum, some think she should have gotten probation. I don't know what would have been appropriate. What she did was unethical and really stupid and she didn't behave very well after being sentenced either--going on a talk show and claiming she was the victim because she didn't know she was being taped.

I feel sorry for her kids.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."

How do you know? I'm not saying you're not right, but without knowing all the facts, I'd tend to err on the side that the law should be used until otherwise indicated. Could one of the 18 year olds be of limited capacity in some way? And, you can't simply ignore the reality of the power she held and the slippery slope of loopholes the legal system would create if one were to ignore certain cases and not others. Do you really want to give defense attorneys more ammunition when what you perceive as a "real" case arises?

I'll trust they can handle this case and the armed robbery cases they are doing.

Good point regarding the need to deploy the same level of attention towards every case.

I'm only going on what I have seen on the video clip (as we all are). There's no question she acted poorly and unethical and given such, she can deal with whatever consequence she might face. Do not confuse me with a sympathizer- I'm not.
    For my people, consenting adult sex has only been legal for about 12 years and the GOP lost their shit.

:o

i bet they weren't your students though (students of love maybe)

• Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305

There was never any mention during the trial and sentencing that any of the young men were of limited capacity or unable to consent. I believe most if not all of them testified at her trial.

I'll try to find a story link from the local snooze.

Edit: My bad, she got 5 years. Here's a description from the end of year wrap-up. Scroll down, it's story #3.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/12/28 ... k=misearch
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Pjzepp67Pjzepp67 Posts: 445
    Would we be discussing this so lightly if the teacher had been male and the pupils were young girls :shock: