Options

A serious question

Comments

• Options
    amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    its supposed to be a free country. with ownership of anything comes responsibility.

it's when people own but are not responsible that causes problems, pretty much across the board.
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • Options
    otterotter Posts: 753
    otter wrote:
    Ok I'll ask it a different way. Why doesn't Canada have the same problems with guns as the United States?
    Do we feel safe enough in our country not to feel the need to protect ourselves and family?
    Maybe we have less crazy people in Canada that shoot people with assault rifles.

Maybe the US should have the same gun laws as Canada for a year and see if it changes anything.

Have you ever been to Canada?

Sure have pal, I live there. Have lived there my whole life. Aside from 3 years when I was a teenager I lived in Alaska.

Have you been to Canada? Do you live there?

I have. I spent some time in Val David and Toronto. Canada could be on another planet; Canada can't be compared to US, not at all. US culture is completely different.
    I found my place......and it's alright
  • Options
    I guess all I'm trying to say is this.

If people didn't have such easy access to guns, and there weren't so many guns out there, whether legally or illegally there probably wouldn't be so many problems.

1. I don't buy the "I need a gun for protection". That is a crock of shit.
    2. Guns are meant for 1 thing.....pulling the trigger and shooting a bullet, either 1 at a time or a thousand in a second. Either way bullets do damage, whether a can, target or person.
    3. Odds are if the gun laws are changed there will be change.

but guns are produced all over the world. Obviously if all of the sudden all guns disappeared nobody would be shot with a gun but that is not reality. And even if you stopped ALL gun sales right now what about all the guns out there now? It is true..."the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun" so can we eliminate all bad guys? nope. evil exists
  • Options
    otter wrote:

If people didn't have such easy access to guns, and there weren't so many guns out there, whether legally or illegally there probably wouldn't be so many problems.

2. Guns are meant for 1 thing.....pulling the trigger and shooting a bullet, either 1 at a time or a thousand in a second. Either way bullets do damage, whether a can, target or person.

but guns are produced all over the world. Obviously if all of the sudden all guns disappeared nobody would be shot with a gun but that is not reality. And even if you stopped ALL gun sales right now what about all the guns out there now? It is true..."the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun" so can we eliminate all bad guys? nope. evil exists

There's no doubt you would experience some growing pains, but just like the soldiers you are placing on a pedastal in the other thread that 'saved the world without anyone's help' according to you... sacrifices must be made sometimes.

Follow me here:

Imagine handguns and assault style rifles banned as well as the ammunition for these guns.

Imagine a buy-back program that gets some of the guns off the street (with no ammunition outside of illegal means... selling might look pretty good to some).

The guns that remain become useless once the existing ammunition caches are spent. People that attempt to acquire ammunition illegaly are outside of the law and run the risk of facing criminal consequences as a result.

Criminals that do keep their guns and find ammunition for them illegally may become a bit of a problem, but here's the thing: big time criminals with the means and money to purchase black market weapons and ammunition are not interested in invading your homes or shooting up kindergarten classes as much as they are protecting their industry from rivals. The only reason two-bit thugs have those guns right now are because they are cheap, abundant, and easy to get. How hard is that to understand?

For all other home invasions... you can use your legally owned 12 gauge shotgun to blast the intruder to pieces before they cross the threshold.

So... after 10 years give or take, your war on weapons will have been won. Just like the UK accomplished with only six homicides by gunfire and no kindergarten classes shot to death this past year. Wouldn't that be great? No 10,000 homicides by gunfire? If you could actually parallel the UK's example... you would experience- proportionately of course- 93% fewer homicides than your current rate!

Think of it... safe classrooms in 10 years. Worth it?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    Canada could be on another planet; Canada can't be compared to US, not at all. US culture is completely different.

:lol:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Canada opens Colombia to 'new opportunities' for its automatic weapons sellers

By: Mike Blanchfield, The Canadian Press

OTTAWA - Just one day before last month's elementary school massacre in Newtown, Conn., Canada offered its gun merchants "new market opportunities" to export banned assault weapons to Colombia, one of the world's most violent countries.

Canada quietly eased its ban on the export of assault-style weapons to Colombia after Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird recommended an order amending the Automatic Firearms Country Control List (AFCCL).

That opened the door for Canadian gun merchants to sell fully automatic weapons with high-capacity magazines — banned in Canada — to Colombia.

"Colombia's addition to the AFCCL opens new market opportunities by providing residents of Canada with the opportunity to explore and compete for contracts in Colombia for items controlled under the AFCCL," says a government notice, posted Tuesday.

The amended order places restrictions on the permits required for the weapons exports, including a case-by-case review by Ottawa.

The notice says that Canadian weapons exporters will face "very strict controls" under the Export and Import Permits Act before they will be allowed to export "prohibited weapons and prohibited devices (as defined in the Criminal Code of Canada), examples of which include fully automatic firearms, electric stun guns and large-capacity magazines."

The change went into effect on Dec. 13, one day before a gunman walked into Sandy Hook Elementary School and killed 20 first-graders and six school employees, sparking fresh debate about gun control in the United States.

Canada recently completed a controversial free trade deal with Colombia, which has been plagued by a half century-long guerilla insurgency, serious human rights abuses and its emergence as a world leading cocaine producer.

Colombia is gradually overcoming its violent legacy, becoming relatively more peaceful, while developing one of the fastest growing economies in the Americas.

The Harper government's pursuit of a free trade deal with Colombia was opposed by rights groups, but the deal was ultimately approved in 2011.

Now, Colombia has been added to a list that includes Canada's 27 NATO allies, along with Australia, Finland, New Zealand, Saudi Arabia, Sweden and Botswana, where prohibited firearms manufactured in this country may be sold.

"The amendment to the AFCCL will formally add Colombia to the list of countries that the Governor in Council deems appropriate to export prohibited firearms, prohibited weapons and prohibited devices and to which the Minister of Foreign Affairs may issue an export permit for such items," the notice says.

"The inclusion of Colombia on the AFCCL does not guarantee that a permit will be issued for the export of these items and all applications will remain subject to the Government of Canada's case-by-case review process."

In October, Foreign Affairs, along with the Defence and Justice departments, conducted a public consultation over the Internet on the possibility of adding Colombia to the list.

There were three responses.

One favoured the addition of Colombia, while two were opposed.

The two objectors "cited concerns relating to the long-time armed conflict and human rights issues within Colombia as the reasons for their objection," says Tuesday's notice.

Foreign Affairs dismissed the objections after conducting an analysis.

"This consultation process included a review of multiple issues, including a review of potential human rights and existing conflicts issues," says the notice.

"As stated previously, the addition of a country to the AFCCL does not guarantee that an export permit will be issued. All applications are reviewed on a case-by-case basis, including a review of any human right concerns."

Canadian arms manufacturers will now be able to submit applications to export the banned weapons to Colombia.

The government notice says the amendment is "consistent with the aim of the AFCCL to promote transparency in the export and transfer of prohibited firearms, prohibited weapons and prohibited devices by making public that Canada will now consider export permit applications for the export of those items to Colombia."

Colombia has endured half a century of violence, pitting its U.S.-backed government forces against a leftist guerilla insurgency led by the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC).

Despite its impressive economic growth, Colombia continues to suffer from serious human rights violations. For example, more union leaders are killed in Colombia than anywhere else.

The Colombian justice system is clogged with more than 1,700 cases involving extra-judicial executions that have claimed the lives of 3,000 people, most from the last decade.

In late November, the Conservative government repealed Canadian gun show regulations, a move that Ontario's chief firearms officer has said could bring American-style gun-show problems to Canada.

The regulations would have required the sponsor of a gun show to notify local police and the chief firearms officer of the province before an event, and to ensure the security and safety of the location and the firearms.

The changes killed a set of rules that were introduced by the Liberals in 1998, but never came into force after years of consultations and deferrals.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Have you been to Canada? Do you live there?[/quote]

I have. I spent some time in Val David and Toronto. Canada could be on another planet; Canada can't be compared to US, not at all. US culture is completely different.[/quote]

With this last comment you are a officially fucked!
    And you are right is culture is different. You' re a bunch of gun crazy fools that are blinded by something, not sure if its your government or you've all been brainwashed growing up in that country.

I'm done, I can't read your bullshit anymore.
  • Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    Can someone please explain to me why you need a gun?
    Simple question, should be a simple answer.

Unless you are a hunter I see no need to have one.

Bonus question.

If you live in a concrete jungle of a city and never hunt why do you need a handgun tucked in your jeans?

Super bonuses

Why can you get a gun anywhere? Why can you get an assault rifle?
    Why can a regular person full out some forms and buy these killing machines?
    Does everybody in the world that make decisions lack common fucking sense?

That's all, thanks for your time.

Ever Lived in Texas???? the UT Shooter was taken down by pissed civilians. He shot a pregnant woman first.. after the second death... Citizens with Guns were Pissed. There was no TASK or SWAT Team. Pissed off Texans doing what's right. That's why. I watched a CARAVAN of Hunter FOLKS go out for the season (TODAY!!!!!) ... Practice and good eating (Yuck), they are back in a heartbeat if stuff goes down. ILLEGAL GUNS..? BLACKMARKET GUNS..? scary stuff

LOOK this up? I'm tired of defending the south. Sandy was crap compared to what the gulf coast endured the past 4 years. I'm not apologizing. Texas.... Florida is not . Louisiana? Please. Serious as ever

Just bought a Shot GUN.. for Zombies and stuff. Too heavy to lift and I don't even know the combo to the safe..

My pepper spray (personal), is in my make-up bag... I'm the stupid one :lol::lol:
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    STAYSEA wrote:
    Just bought a Shot GUN.. for Zombies and stuff. Too heavy to lift and I don't even know the combo to the safe..

My pepper spray (personal), is in my make-up bag... I'm the stupid one :lol::lol:

Was there a background check when you bought that shotgun? ;)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    With this last comment you are a officially fucked!
    And you are right is culture is different. You' re a bunch of gun crazy fools that are blinded by something, not sure if its your government or you've all been brainwashed growing up in that country.

I'm done, I can't read your bullshit anymore.

I am not a fan of the comments you are referring to, and I'm not a fan of yours either.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    otter wrote:

There's no doubt you would experience some growing pains, but just like the soldiers you are placing on a pedastal in the other thread that 'saved the world without anyone's help' according to you... sacrifices must be made sometimes.

Follow me here:

Imagine handguns and assault style rifles banned as well as the ammunition for these guns.

Imagine a buy-back program that gets some of the guns off the street (with no ammunition outside of illegal means... selling might look pretty good to some).

The guns that remain become useless once the existing ammunition caches are spent. People that attempt to acquire ammunition illegaly are outside of the law and run the risk of facing criminal consequences as a result.

Criminals that do keep their guns and find ammunition for them illegally may become a bit of a problem, but here's the thing: big time criminals with the means and money to purchase black market weapons and ammunition are not interested in invading your homes or shooting up kindergarten classes as much as they are protecting their industry from rivals. The only reason two-bit thugs have those guns right now are because they are cheap, abundant, and easy to get. How hard is that to understand?

For all other home invasions... you can use your legally owned 12 gauge shotgun to blast the intruder to pieces before they cross the threshold.

So... after 10 years give or take, your war on weapons will have been won. Just like the UK accomplished with only six homicides by gunfire and no kindergarten classes shot to death this past year. Wouldn't that be great? No 10,000 homicides by gunfire? If you could actually parallel the UK's example... you would experience- proportionately of course- 93% fewer homicides than your current rate!

Think of it... safe classrooms in 10 years. Worth it?

You know that cops in Britian used to not carry guns and now they do? Do you really think all the bullets would be used up in 10 years?

Do you think that if the government said "time to turn in your guns" everybody would? By definition the only people who would would be those who obey the law. There are so so many guns in this country even if half went away there would still be so so many guns in this country. Absolutely nothing would change. That's why any gun laws won't do a thing. It's meaningless. The only thing it would do is help politicians. That is the only reason they put this stuff in legislation, to get votes.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,878
    There are reasons to own a handgun (protection, defense) and there are reasons to own a hunting rifle (um...hunting). But there are no reasons to own an assault rifle. These should be banned and to do so would infringe not at all on the second amendment.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    There are reasons to own a handgun (protection, defense) and there are reasons to own a hunting rifle (um...hunting). But there are no reasons to own an assault rifle. These should be banned and to do so would infringe not at all on the second amendment.

What if someone wants one? Isn't that a reason too? What if instead of being called an assault rifle they called it an sunshine rifle? There is no reason to eat a twinky but we don't ban them.

Banning these guns won't save a single life all it will do is make some asshole politician a big hero to all the people who got scared by that same asshole politician.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,878
    otter wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:

What if someone wants one? Isn't that a reason too? What if instead of being called an assault rifle they called it an sunshine rifle? There is no reason to eat a twinky but we don't ban them.

Banning these guns won't save a single life all it will do is make some asshole politician a big hero to all the people who got scared by that same asshole politician.

People want a lot of things that they cannot have.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:

this says it all. Jesus H Christ. :fp:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:

very well said JimmyV
    otter wrote:
    Banning these guns won't save a single life

all speculation...very close minded. Nobody likes to answer when asked how many people in a crowded room a person could kill with a pistol vs. an AR-15. So the CT shooter would've killed exactly the same amount of people had be been unable to get a Bushmaster? :?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:

very well said JimmyV
    otter wrote:
    Banning these guns won't save a single life

all speculation...very close minded. Nobody likes to answer when asked how many people in a crowded room a person could kill with a pistol vs. an AR-15. So the CT shooter would've killed exactly the same amount of people had be been unable to get a Bushmaster? :?

The Fort Hood shooter used a handgun and so did the VA Tech nut. It makes no difference what kind of gun a crazy killer uses does it? I don't know if he would have killed more or less innocent and helpless people. Everybody is emotionally tied to this sad event but doesn't it make more sense to fix the problem rather than feeling all gooey inside because a new law was passed?
    More laws are not the answer. I would say community is.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    The Fort Hood shooter used a handgun and so did the VA Tech nut. It makes no difference what kind of gun a crazy killer uses does it?

It certainly does. its hard to say that a gun that is more efficient at spraying bullets like an AR-15, at faster rate wouldnt kill more people. of course it does/would. Thats what its designed for. If the FT hood guy or VA tech guy used an AR-15 I'd bet all the money in the world there'd been more casualties.
    otter wrote:
    I don't know if he would have killed more or less innocent and helpless people. Everybody is emotionally tied to this sad event but doesn't it make more sense to fix the problem rather than feeling all gooey inside because a new law was passed?
    More laws are not the answer. I would say community is.

I agree community is part of the answer too. Has nothing to do with gooey...
  • Options
    That's another reason why everybody is jumping on the new law band wagon: the media is using these words and phrases that scare the hell out of people like "spray bullets". I never shot a bushmaster but I know it is not a machine gun you have to pull the trigger to fire it one bullet at a time. Just like a 9mm but I would argue that you could fire a hand gun just as fast if not even faster than a rifle.

We have to look out for one an other and help people who are on the brink of losing it. That will save people not saying "okay, you can have this gun but not this one" because all guns are made for shooting.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    That's another reason why everybody is jumping on the new law band wagon: the media is using these words and phrases that scare the hell out of people like "spray bullets". I never shot a bushmaster but I know it is not a machine gun you have to pull the trigger to fire it one bullet at a time. Just like a 9mm but I would argue that you could fire a hand gun just as fast if not even faster than a rifle.

We have to look out for one an other and help people who are on the brink of losing it. That will save people not saying "okay, you can have this gun but not this one" because all guns are made for shooting.

You can ignore the fact all day long that the bushmaster and AR-15 are designed to fire more bullets, with the purpose of speed, agility, and more killing than a handgun. thats the bottom line. Dance around it all you want.
  • Options
    You're wrong about the VA Tech killer. He shot nearly every single person he came into contact with. I just read the story.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    You're wrong about the VA Tech killer. He shot nearly every single person he came into contact with. I just read the story.

Fine...I dont know the details, maybe that is one instance...but I still say if he had an AR-15 he has a better chance to kill more people more quickly. fact.

again: You can ignore the fact all day long that the bushmaster and AR-15 are designed to fire more bullets, with the purpose of speed, agility, and more killing than a handgun. thats the bottom line. Dance around it all you want.
  • Options
    donnaruhldonnaruhl Posts: 2,157
    You know when someone buy's a gun,They run a background check. Do they apply any psychiatric check's to the background of individual's? Or is that still Dr., Patient confidentiality ? And if not, I feel that something more should done with the process. I also feel that if a family has a mentally or emotionally unstable person living in the home, It should be a gun free zone. I have a cousin who is challenged,and when he was younger and would lose his temper,It would take up to four people to hold him down. God forbid,If he ever got a hold of a gun when he was angry. I don't believe that police officers should even have those assault riffle's,let alone the general public. A place for them is in the military, That's my opinion.
  • Options
    donnaruhl wrote:
    You know when someone buy's a gun,They run a background check. Do they apply any psychiatric check's to the background of individual's? Or is that still Dr., Patient confidentiality ? And if not, I feel that something more should done with the process. I also feel that if a family has a mentally or emotionally unstable person living in the home, It should be a gun free zone. I have a cousin who is challenged,and when he was younger and would lose his temper,It would take up to four people to hold him down. God forbid,If he ever got a hold of a gun when he was angry. I don't believe that police officers should even have those assault riffle's,let alone the general public. A place for them is in the military, That's my opinion.

Yeah, that's what I think too.

But don't you think that a person holding a pistol in each hand is just as dangerous as someone with a "assault" riffle?

If we took better care of those who are mentally unstable it would be safe for people to own freakin bazookas.
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136

The human being is the only mammal who goes hunting with a full stomach...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

The human being is the only mammal who goes hunting with a full stomach...
    To be fair, if people are hunting for food, they don't need to be hungry at the moment they're stocking up on and storing meat.

If we're talking trophy hunting, then I'm with you.
  • Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    STAYSEA wrote:

Was there a background check when you bought that shotgun? ;)

definitely. And you need a license.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    DS1119 wrote:
    Ok I'll ask it a different way. Why doesn't Canada have the same problems with guns as the United States?
    Do we feel safe enough in our country not to feel the need to protect ourselves and family?
    Maybe we have less crazy people in Canada that shoot people with assault rifles.

Maybe the US should have the same gun laws as Canada for a year and see if it changes anything.

Not sure. Perhaps Canada feels the protection that the US provides them. It's easy to have a calm feeling politically, which trickles to down to social behaviors, when you know the neighbors to your south will pretty much protect you just to protect our own interests. Perhaps it's because Canada is much more rural than the US. Perhaps it's the fact that Canada's total population is about 10% of the US. Perhaps it's the fact more people live in the state of California than in the entire country of Canada.

Apples and oranges.
    :lol: Trust me, we do not have a lack of a gun violence problem because we feel protected by the US! On the contrary... lots of Canadians feel threatened by the US on many different levels, including having guns cross the border into our country.
    I also don't think it's about population.
    I think it is just a difference in culture. We don't like guns, we don't tend to get off on guns like many Americans seem to, we don't, of course, have the 2nd amendment encouraging people, we certainly don't have an NRA influencing our government, etc. The US has just grown a strong gun culture (fetish). The US also has a fairly violent and aggressive culture compared to Canada. The US is a war nation. Canada is a peacekeeping nation. Speaking in sweeping terms, of course, not on an individual basis. And just as a disclaimer, I am not anti-American at all. No nation is perfect. Canada has its own problems. All nations, and citizens of them, should work to fix their problems... in the US, the gun culture is one of the problems that need fixing IMO.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Not sure. Perhaps Canada feels the protection that the US provides them. It's easy to have a calm feeling politically, which trickles to down to social behaviors, when you know the neighbors to your south will pretty much protect you just to protect our own interests. Perhaps it's because Canada is much more rural than the US. Perhaps it's the fact that Canada's total population is about 10% of the US. Perhaps it's the fact more people live in the state of California than in the entire country of Canada.

Apples and oranges.
    :lol: Trust me, we do not have a lack of a gun violence problem because we feel protected by the US! On the contrary... lots of Canadians feel threatened by the US on many different levels, including having guns cross the border into our country.
    I think it is just a difference in culture. We don't like guns, we don't tend to get off on guns like many Americans seem to, we don't, of course, have the 2nd amendment encouraging people, we certainly don't have an NRA influencing our government, etc. The US has just grown a strong gun culture (fetish). The US also has a fairly violent and aggressive culture compared to Canada. The US is a war nation. Canada is a peacekeeping nation. Speaking in sweeping terms, of course, not on an individual basis. And just as a disclaimer, I am not anti-American at all. No nation is perfect. Canada has its own problems. All nations, and citizens of them, should work to fix their problems... in the US, the gun culture is one of the problems that need fixing IMO.

Guns are not a "fetish" and it's the illegal guns that need fixing...not legal guns. Like you stated you fear guns crossing the border...those would be illegal guns not legal crossing the border.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    DS1119 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Apples and oranges.

Guns are not a "fetish" and it's the illegal guns that need fixing...not legal guns. Like you stated you fear guns crossing the border...those would be illegal guns not legal crossing the border.
    You're missing the point of my post entirely.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata