Options

fired. cause she is a WOMAN.. an attractive woman!!

catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
edited December 2012 in A Moving Train
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2012/1 ... attractive

A dentist acted legally when he fired his assistant for being "irresistible", a US high court has found.

The all-male Iowa Supreme Court ruled that Melissa Nelson's termination wasn't sexual discrimination because it wasn't based on her gender. Rather, she was fired because her boss and his wife felt she was a threat to their marriage.

The court heard Ms Nelson, 32, worked as a dental assistant for James Knight, 53, for more than 10 years, only wore standard scrubs to work and had not been flirtatious.

Ms Nelson said she thought the decision was not "fair". She said she was happily married and had never been interested in her boss romantically.

"These judges sent a message to Iowa women that they don't think men can be held responsible for their sexual desires and that Iowa women are the ones who have to monitor and control their bosses' sexual desires," Ms Nelson's attorney Paige Fiedler said.

But Mr Knight's lawyer, Stuart Cochrane, said the court would have had to "ignore every other (similar) case we could find" to come to a different conclusion

"(Mr Knight) and his wife really agonised about it," Mr Cochrane said.

"He didn't want to terminate her."

The court heard that Mr Knight told Ms Nelson that her clothes were too tight and that "if she saw his pants bulging, she would know her clothing was too revealing".

After Ms Nelson made a comment about her infrequent sex life, Mr Knight reportedly said it was like "having a Lamborghini in the garage and never driving it".

Mr Knight's wife was employed at the same business and told her husband to fire Ms Nelson after she found text messages he had exchanged with the dental assistant outside of work.

With a pastor present, Mr Knight then fired Ms Nelson and said she was a "detriment" to his family

He later told her she "was the best dental assistant he ever had".

Ms Nelson filed a lawsuit and argued that she was fired because of her gender.

But Mr Knight said she was fired because of the "nature of their relationship" and he had hired another woman to replace Ms Nelson.
hear my name
take a good look
this could be the day
hold my hand
lie beside me
i just need to say
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    Instead of siding with this spineless cretin, the dentists wife should have fired her husband.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    What a bunch of crap! Very unfair! :nono:
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Options
    the ADAM defence i call it.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    markin ballmarkin ball Posts: 1,066
    Sounds like a lost Seinfeld. What a loophole in the law. Something only a George Costanza could have thunk up.
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ."

"With our thoughts we make the world"
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    Sounds like a lost Seinfeld. What a loophole in the law. Something only a George Costanza could have thunk up.

That and I'm thinking the "...all-male Iowa Supreme Court ruled that Melissa Nelson's termination wasn't sexual discrimination because it wasn't based on her gender" had something to do with it
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Yeah, it's always the skanky home-wrecking slut who forces men to accidentally have sex with women other than their wives.

Honestly... are some people just incapable of controlling themselves?
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Honestly... are some people just incapable of controlling themselves?

My favorite part of the story was him telling her that if she saw a bulge in his pants, she was dressing too provocatively. It was all HER fault. :roll:

I read another article about it where she said she wore scrubs to work. Trying to figure out how someone looks provocative in scrubs.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    I really do feel bad for good looking people. :D
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Ha!

Some people are just idiots. I hope they don't have children.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    and in iowa of all places... (i am sorry i guess we do have some assholes over here after all)
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    actually, this WAS a Seinfeld episode. George was hiring a secretary, and he went through applicant after applicant and told all the hot ones he couldn't hire them because "I'm looking at you and I can't even remember my name". He hired the unattractive one and ended up having sex with her anyway.

this is actually pretty disgusting. so the onus is now on the woman to look unattractive at work so the boss doesn't have the uncontrollable male boss urge to fuck her? that's a new one. what a stand up guy. :fp:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    markin ballmarkin ball Posts: 1,066
    actually, this WAS a Seinfeld episode. George tiowas hiring a secretary, and he went through applicant after applicant and told all the hot ones he couldn't hire them because "I'm looking at you and I can't even remember my name". He hired the unattractive one and ended up having sex with her anyway.

Holy smokes, your right. Ha!
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ."

"With our thoughts we make the world"
  • Options
    Saw this on the Pumpkins' board yesterday... unreal
  • Options
    I read another article about it where she said she wore scrubs to work. Trying to figure out how someone looks provocative in scrubs.

Well...
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    People can be fired for no reason at all so I'm not sure why this even went to court.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    People can be fired for no reason at all so I'm not sure why this even went to court.

I don't know about labour laws where you live, but it's actually really difficult, legally, to just fire someone for no reason in Canada. where I work, specifically (non union office), you need pages and pages of documented bullshit to cover your ass.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    Being told point blank that you are being fired because your boss cannot control himself is beyond ridiculous.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305

Well...
    Leave it to you, man. :lol:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    this dude is a lidle dick little bastage with absolutely no testicles. a solid jerk off. here are more facts i have for you... she is not super-dupper irrestible. the dude is a baldy freak w/ nearly no testosterone at all crawling or slithering about within him.

basically he is a weak little man with zero self confidence & very little to no manliness about him at all.

she'll have a killer fucking job in a matter of days. watch and see
    Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Being told point blank that you are being fired because your boss cannot control himself is beyond ridiculous.
    he should have his ass kicked

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    know1 wrote:

I think a union would have protected her but at will employees can be fired indeed. The dude that did it is a complete douche as it sounds and I mean it's really kinda unfounded as I saw a picture of her and its not like she was a super model or anything which of course would be wrong too. Society has been very disappointing as of late, where's the compassion????
  • Options
    to say im sick and tired of guys and their bullshit would be beyond an understatement... and thats not to say chicks dont have their own bullshit going on.. but as a woman my guyradar pings almost constantly.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    groovemegrooveme Posts: 353

Absolutely. So the guy sexually harassed her then fired her when his wife found out. And an all-male supreme court thought that was just fine. Perhaps we need more women in the judiciary (and the government in general)
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    From the glass is half-full perspective, how awesome would it be to tell people you were fired because you were too hot?

8-)

This whole thing seems like a plot pulled from Anchorman 2.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,154
    Loulou wrote:
    What a bunch of crap! Very unfair! :nono:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”