Options

This generation and priorites

2»

Comments

• Options
    kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    DURP wrote:
    SK359828 wrote:
    Don't forget this is also the generation of over parenting. Carlin knew it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo2Y4PzTCOc

Plus, is there any chance this person simply doesn't care about this job? Drop the leash!

Don't forget that everyone is a winner. Even if your kids sport team goes 0 and whatever they all still get a trophy. Which in my opinion sets them up for failure in life. Yeah it sucked playing sports and losing but it helped later in life in dealing with obsticles in life and knowing that if you get knocked down you can get up.

Getting a trophy, ribbon or whatever for just showing up sends the wrong message. Winners get trophies and the loosers have to work harder to get that trophy. Seriously what's next? Every single major sports team getting thier respective leagues trophy because we don't want anyone's feelings hurt?

I mostly agree. I coach on a swim team and at the end of the every year we hold a banquet and every kid gets a trophy. My boss (who is in her mid-20s) insists on this instead doing a small number of "most improved" or "team spirit" trophies or something.

Her main concern is that some kids will feel left out, to which I respond good! Maybe those kids will work harder next year. Plus, it allows the kids who actually get the award to feel proud at being recognized. Otherwise, the kid who worked her butt off all season gets the same trophy as the kid who didn't try hard at all; how is that fair?

The only caveat I have with this is that it shouldn't be centered on winning, at least not with kids. Losing a meet or a match or whatever sucks, but to just leave it at "you should have tried harder" is a world of suck. I see a lot of kids try harder than others with "natural" talent and they still fall short. That doesn't mean they're not winners, in my book.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    kw18 wrote:
    The only caveat I have with this is that it shouldn't be centered on winning, at least not with kids. Losing a meet or a match or whatever sucks, but to just leave it at "you should have tried harder" is a world of suck. I see a lot of kids try harder than others with "natural" talent and they still fall short. That doesn't mean they're not winners, in my book.

Fair enough I get that. I guess I was ranting about football. My friend her son plays in a league and his team went undefeated which they deserve trophies. On the flip side there is a team that didn't win a single game yet all of those players get trophies. The league also gives out trophies for kids who led the league in thier postion stats. There is no MVP trophy which I think is good.

Her son asked me all about football at the start of the season. I told him alot of things but I gave him my best advice. "It's just a game go out and have fun and do your best" a coach throwing a pizza party for the kids at the end of the season is fine. He or she could make the kids feel awesome by saying how good they did and yadda yadda yadda. But to give a trophy just for showing up like you said takes away from those who did something and worked harder.
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Maybe she took it literally when someone said to her "Your life as you know it, is over after having kids."
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    SK359828 wrote:
    Don't forget this is also the generation of over parenting. Carlin knew it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo2Y4PzTCOc

Plus, is there any chance this person simply doesn't care about this job? Drop the leash!

Caring about this job or not doesn't matter, SHE'S ENTITLED TO THESE BENEFITS, REGARDLESS IF SHE COMES BACK TO WORK OR NOT

it's FREE MONEY

you should be so lucky to have someone that cares that much about you that wants to make sure you get what you deserve and gets frustrated when you don't take advantage of it
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    Maybe she took it literally when someone said to her "Your life as you know it, is over after having kids."

It's not?
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    SK359828 wrote:

Caring about this job or not doesn't matter, SHE'S ENTITLED TO THESE BENEFITS, REGARDLESS IF SHE COMES BACK TO WORK OR NOT

it's FREE MONEY

you should be so lucky to have someone that cares that much about you that wants to make sure you get what you deserve and gets frustrated when you don't take advantage of it

I hear ya man, and I agree. I also see it's bothering you. You've done what you can, and your generosity is not being appreciated/reciprocated. So my comment was to you: drop the leash, I'm sure you could focus your care on people that could use it and be grateful for it.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    kw18 wrote:
    DURP wrote:
    SK359828 wrote:

Don't forget that everyone is a winner. Even if your kids sport team goes 0 and whatever they all still get a trophy. Which in my opinion sets them up for failure in life. Yeah it sucked playing sports and losing but it helped later in life in dealing with obsticles in life and knowing that if you get knocked down you can get up.

Getting a trophy, ribbon or whatever for just showing up sends the wrong message. Winners get trophies and the loosers have to work harder to get that trophy. Seriously what's next? Every single major sports team getting thier respective leagues trophy because we don't want anyone's feelings hurt?

I mostly agree. I coach on a swim team and at the end of the every year we hold a banquet and every kid gets a trophy. My boss (who is in her mid-20s) insists on this instead doing a small number of "most improved" or "team spirit" trophies or something.

Her main concern is that some kids will feel left out, to which I respond good! Maybe those kids will work harder next year. Plus, it allows the kids who actually get the award to feel proud at being recognized. Otherwise, the kid who worked her butt off all season gets the same trophy as the kid who didn't try hard at all; how is that fair?

My solution with this is easy. Only the winning person gets a trophy. All of the rest of the kids are lined up based by accomplishment. The lowest 25% are taken out back and permantly eliminated. :lol:
  • Options
    Mamasan23 wrote:

It's not?

:lol:

Just keep on assuming it is, just to be on the safe side. No need to risk it.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    kw18 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

It's not?

Just keep on assuming it is, just to be on the safe side. No need to risk it.

:lol: Good plan!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    kw18 wrote:
    DURP wrote:

My solution with this is easy. Only the winning person gets a trophy. All of the rest of the kids are lined up based by accomplishment. The lowest 25% are taken out back and permantly eliminated. :lol:

Darwinism children-rearing, by DS. Nice!
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Mamasan23 wrote:

It's not?

:lol: Hook line and sinker. Nail in the coffin. Kaput. Done. Arrivederci. Last song on Backspacer.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Mamasan23 wrote:

It's not?

:lol: Hook line and sinker. Nail in the coffin. Kaput. Done. Arrivederci. Last song on Backspacer.

I KNEW IT!
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,619
    DURP wrote:
    SK359828 wrote:

How did this stupid theory ever get wheels? That participation awards somehow have contributed to the downfall of the younger generation? I want to blame Sean Hannity, because I heard that crap start coming out of his mouth a few years ago. They've been giving these out since the 70's, if not before. I got 'em for my crappy ass pinewood derby cars and for playing baseball even though I couldn't hit the ball. Kids know those things are b.s., lighten up.