turntable help

Comments

• mikerlmikerl Posts: 580
    Im wondering if i can keep this thread going with a little discussion about speakers.

I have always been one of these dudes that "likes the sound of older speaker, man". My last pair were large floor standing Pioneers, with 15 inch woofers. Those are amazing to my ear, but are WAY to big. My Current speakers are made by a small company named "OHM". These things kick ass, and are very detailed in the midrange, but are getting on in age, i have redone the foam surrounds on them, and for the past couple years i have had intermittent problems with one of the speakers cutting in and out, and being low in volume (this is a 3 way speaker, and there is a sizable crossover circuit in it).. i have some electronics experience, but i just don't feel like dealing with it anymore.. bottom line, i think i MAY get a modern speaker, something that will have a long life of maintenance free use ahead of it.

Im thinking something in the 8" or 10" woofer range.

What are old school "record playin'" people using for new speakers, i don't really want some of the super sleek home theater stuff i see out there.
    Hartford 1996, Hartford 1998, Mansfield 1 1998, Mansfield 1 2000, Mansfield 2 2000, Albany 2003, MSG 2 2003, Mansfield 3 2003, Boston 2 2004, Albany 2006, Boston 2 2006, Mansfield 2 2008, Boston 2010, Worcester 1 2013, Worcester 2 2013
  • slinger256slinger256 Victoria Posts: 371
    mikerl wrote:
    Im wondering if i can keep this thread going with a little discussion about speakers.

I have always been one of these dudes that "likes the sound of older speaker, man". My last pair were large floor standing Pioneers, with 15 inch woofers. Those are amazing to my ear, but are WAY to big. My Current speakers are made by a small company named "OHM". These things kick ass, and are very detailed in the midrange, but are getting on in age, i have redone the foam surrounds on them, and for the past couple years i have had intermittent problems with one of the speakers cutting in and out, and being low in volume (this is a 3 way speaker, and there is a sizable crossover circuit in it).. i have some electronics experience, but i just don't feel like dealing with it anymore.. bottom line, i think i MAY get a modern speaker, something that will have a long life of maintenance free use ahead of it.

Im thinking something in the 8" or 10" woofer range.

What are old school "record playin'" people using for new speakers, i don't really want some of the super sleek home theater stuff i see out there.

I was in the same boat but after several trips to the shop and conversations with audiophiles I still ended up with an old school pair. Boston Acoustic A100, $275 and they had just done a minor refurb. There were no new speakers at that price point that did anything for me. The sound out of these is incredible and after listening to a bunch of diff sets when i decide to upgrade, i jump into an $800 pair. Great sound. I guess what I'm saying is dont count the older stuff out.
  • TC282314TC282314 Posts: 378
    I got a Pro-ject debut carbon the other day. I'm going out to buy a preamp and speakers today! If you have any must do advice let me know. Also, with somewhat limited space what kind of table you all setting it up on? Not that it will matter much...has to be wood?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    TC282314 wrote:
    I got a Pro-ject debut carbon the other day. I'm going out to buy a preamp and speakers today! If you have any must do advice let me know. Also, with somewhat limited space what kind of table you all setting it up on? Not that it will matter much...has to be wood?
    Doesn't have to be wood (although mine is). What's important is that it's very stable and won't wobble or vibrate (like when you walk by, run by, bump into it, whatever). So the heavier the better (i've even seen websites recommend concrete blocks), whatever it's made of. If it's not heavy you might want to consider shoring it to the wall to keep it totally motionless (especially if you have kids or pets).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • TC282314TC282314 Posts: 378
    Doesn't have to be wood (although mine is). What's important is that it's very stable and won't wobble or vibrate (like when you walk by, run by, bump into it, whatever). So the heavier the better (i've even seen websites recommend concrete blocks), whatever it's made of. If it's not heavy you might want to consider shoring it to the wall to keep it totally motionless (especially if you have kids or pets).[/quote]

Thanks. I set it up on a heavy wooden chest. Very stable and sounds great!
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Anybody own (or owned) a Stanton? Any real negatives? Have a few different brands in mind, but the Stanton is favored right now. May pull the trigger soon.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • -decodified--decodified- mobile device Posts: 2,686
    anyone has the Gramovox The Floating Record Player?
    is worth it? good sound with built in speakers?
    thanks!
    Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - Jul 15, 2006
    Outside Lands Festival - Aug 28, 2009
    Key Arena - Sep 21, 2009
    Viejas Arena - Oct 09, 2009
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 23, 2010
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 24, 2010
    Oracle Arena Nov 26, 2013
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 26, 2014
    Parque Simon Bolivar - Bogota, Colombia - Nov 25, 2015 - MY HOMETOWN!!!
    Madison Square Garden - May 01, 2016
    Madison Square Garden - May 02, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 20, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 22, 2016 - MY B-DAY!!!

dL7POFOTD9H0c.gif
    edited September 2015
    (this is a good thread - glad to see it resurrected)

I've been thinking about adding a preamp to my system. I don't need one, but think it will make the sound even better. Needledoctor recommended a Vincent Audio PHO-8 Phono Preamp for my TT. But it's $300, and I would rather spend a lot less. Like $100 max. But I don't want to sacrifice quality. Anyone with a lot of knowledge about preamps know of my best option for much less money? Is there an issue with using older preamps with a nearly brand new system? I had problems with receivers and speakers when I got a new TT, so ended up getting everything new. I'm worried I could come across the same kind of old vs new compatibility issue with preamps.
    Thanks!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • cjzolycjzoly Posts: 508

anyone has the Gramovox The Floating Record Player?
    is worth it? good sound with built in speakers?
    thanks!

It doesn't get released to the public until December 2015, so I don't think anyone can answer your questions yet...I think there was a couple of prototypes that the demonstrated and it got really good reviews...Sorry...That's all I got...
    I'm a Thief, I'm a Liar, There's my Church, I sing in the Choir...Hallelujah...
    thanks for the feedback, and what about the uturn?
    Key Arena - Sep 21, 2009

dL7POFOTD9H0c.gif
  • reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    PJ_Soul said:

I've been thinking about adding a preamp to my system. I don't need one, but think it will make the sound even better. Needledoctor recommended a Vincent Audio PHO-8 Phono Preamp for my TT. But it's $300, and I would rather spend a lot less. Like $100 max. But I don't want to sacrifice quality. Anyone with a lot of knowledge about preamps know of my best option for much less money? Is there an issue with using older preamps with a nearly brand new system? I had problems with receivers and speakers when I got a new TT, so ended up getting everything new. I'm worried I could come across the same kind of old vs new compatibility issue with preamps.
    Thanks!

If you don't need one PJ_Soul then why buy one? Wouldn't a pre-amp just put something inbetween your turntable and receiver that you don't really require? I think there's better ways to upgrade without a pre-amp. In my humble opinion, on the limited amount I know is that you need a decent TT with a quality cartridge, decent amp/receiver and of course good speakers. That's it.
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    reesdog said:

PJ_Soul said:

Thanks!

If you don't need one PJ_Soul then why buy one? Wouldn't a pre-amp just put something inbetween your turntable and receiver that you don't really require? I think there's better ways to upgrade without a pre-amp. In my humble opinion, on the limited amount I know is that you need a decent TT with a quality cartridge, decent amp/receiver and of course good speakers. That's it.
    That's what I've always found works as well. Right now I'm running a Project Carbon Debut (great turn table, only problem is having to lift off the platter and manually move the band to go from 33 1/3 RPM to 45 RPM and back for different speeds) directly into a Marantz 2220 B tuner/amp and out a pair of Polk Audio TSi100's via Monster cables. Simple and direct. The only downside are the speakers- though smaller bookshelf sized, they push the low ends a too hard for my tastes, especially in my small room.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:

reesdog said:

PJ_Soul said:

Thanks!

That's what I've always found works as well. Right now I'm running a Project Carbon Debut (great turn table, only problem is having to lift off the platter and manually move the band to go from 33 1/3 RPM to 45 RPM and back for different speeds) directly into a Marantz 2220 B tuner/amp and out a pair of Polk Audio TSi100's via Monster cables. Simple and direct. The only downside are the speakers- though smaller bookshelf sized, they push the low ends a too hard for my tastes, especially in my small room.
    How/where does Needledoctor recommend components/setups? Is it on the site, or do you have to send someone there an email?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    dankind said:

brianlux said:

reesdog said:

PJ_Soul said:

Thanks!

How/where does Needledoctor recommend components/setups? Is it on the site, or do you have to send someone there an email?
    Send them an email, Needledoctor is great. I have bought a few components from them.
    edited September 2015
    reesdog said:

PJ_Soul said:

Thanks!

I do have a decent TT with a quality cartridge, a good receiver, and good speakers, but I was told specifically by needledoctor that a good preamp would make the sound even better (and no, I don't suspect that they said that just because they hoped to sell me a preamp, lol)..... I'm just trying to get the best sound I can out of what I have. Do you think it would make absolutely no difference? My other option would be to upgrade from red ortofon to blue.... do you think that would make more of a difference?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    MedozK said:

dankind said:

brianlux said:

reesdog said:

PJ_Soul said:

Thanks!

Send them an email, Needledoctor is great. I have bought a few components from them.
    Yeah Brian, they will answer any questions you have. The email is info@needledoctor.com
    Anyone has the U-turn? good quality?

Key Arena - Sep 21, 2009

dL7POFOTD9H0c.gif
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416

thanks for the feedback, and what about the uturn?

A buddy of mine just got one and loves it. I honestly haven't heard a bad thing about them
    MedozK said:

dankind said:

brianlux said:

reesdog said:

PJ_Soul said:

Thanks!

They really are a great company. I emailed them numerous times last year when I was in the market for my TT. Not only do they respond quickly, they also write personal responses with good information. What I really liked about them was they didn't try to upsell me. I told them my budget and gave them a few models I was looking into, and much to my surprise, they actually recommended the one that cost the least. Seems as though they really care about their customers getting the best bang for their buck.
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Anyone have luck finding a speed box for the Pro-ject Debut Carbon DC? I've read there are compatibility issues with the voltage.
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164

I don't have it but have read good things about it. And their customer service got back to me in under an hour via email. Lightning fast!
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Anyone have other things to say about Marantz or Harmon Kardon receivers? I want a receiver only for playing music. No need for it to have A/V capability like for running a Blu Ray player to a surround system.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962

Anyone have other things to say about Marantz or Harmon Kardon receivers? I want a receiver only for playing music. No need for it to have A/V capability like for running a Blu Ray player to a surround system.

I own a few '70's era Marantz receivers and I have restored and sold about a dozen of them. I recommend the 2245 and 2270 if you're looking to go the vintage route. (These can be found totally restored on auction sites all day long.)

The new Marantz stereo receivers are nice, but not entirely worth the premium paid over some of their competitors, IMO. For my money, regarding new-production receivers, Yamaha is the company to beat.

The only experiences I have with Harmon/Kardon receivers have been largely negative. They are notoriously hard to work on and I don't find the sound or build quality is representative of the brand cache' that they seem to enjoy.

Hope this helps.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    PJ_Soul said:

Thanks!

@PJ_Soul.... I used to have the same TT as you but i sold it and now I have an original Yamaha TT from early 80s with a 70s era Shure cartridge. sounds really good but after I added a tube pre-amp.... sounds even better. I would recommend the Bellari VP129 or VP130. usually retails for about $250.00 but you can sometimes find a deal on Ebay. I also use a Mullard tube. beautiful warm, quiet and neutral

I tried it with the table you had and it sounded really good with that setup too.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• Anyone has the U-turn? good quality?

I have one and I am very satisfied with it.
    lolobugg said:

PJ_Soul said:

Thanks!

@PJ_Soul.... I used to have the same TT as you but i sold it and now I have an original Yamaha TT from early 80s with a 70s era Shure cartridge. sounds really good but after I added a tube pre-amp.... sounds even better. I would recommend the Bellari VP129 or VP130. usually retails for about $250.00 but you can sometimes find a deal on Ebay. I also use a Mullard tube. beautiful warm, quiet and neutral

I tried it with the table you had and it sounded really good with that setup too.
    Thanks! :)
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    I'd love some rec's on a straight up modern receiver (nothing vintage, or that has to be modified) that is a direct connect to a TT, CD player, and tape deck. I don't need any A/V capabilities for home theater use. Would be strictly for music (vinyl, cd, tape).
    www.cluthelee.com

do you have the basic one or the plus, how's your setup if you don't mind sharing, thanks!
    Key Arena - Sep 21, 2009

dL7POFOTD9H0c.gif

do you have the basic one or the plus, how's your setup if you don't mind sharing, thanks!
    :-)
    Key Arena - Sep 21, 2009

dL7POFOTD9H0c.gif
  • Anyone has the U-turn? good quality?

I have the plus. As far as the speakers are concerned I used some recommended on their website. I will need to invest in a better amp as the one I purchased on Amazon doesn't push enough. One for each speaker I purchased may do the trick. My puppy did a number on all my wiring last week, so I may need to reinvest in speakers and amps. Sorry I cannot give more detail. I may try to look at the specific brands if I find the chance this evening. The dimensions are nice as it comfortably sits on an end table and obviously has a modern look. Assembly was far easier than I imagined when unpackaging the equipment.

Found the link:

http://uturnaudio.com/stereo-setup
  • Hey,
    Hope no one minds if I throw some questions into this thread but theres a wealth of info in here so figured its a good place to start. I'm a vinyl newbie and I'm debating between two cheap turntables ($100-$200 range) to start - Victrola and Crosley.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on these? Or any other suggestions in this price range?
    I'd also like to add external speakers to them.And ideally looking for that vintage look as these two have so it fits in our home.
    Appreciate any feedback!
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/victrola-6-in-1-bluetooth-entertainment-center-mahogany/7786072.p?skuId=7786072
    http://www.target.com/p/crosley-rochester-5-in-1-entertainment-center-paprika-cr66-pa/-/A-10382955