turntable help

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    jamburger wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    ...although would never ever buy a turntable without a hood.

Dustcover included.
    Ah, well then, that's pretty sweet. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • I've been reading this post and have found the information useful. Thank you!
    I was hoping someone would know if the Audio Technica turntable needed a stylus upgrade? And what are the different options for needles?
    Thanks in advance for the advice. I have some new vinyl I want to really treat right :mrgreen:

No upgrade needed!!! :)

Audio-Technica AT-LP120:http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-LP120-USB-Direct-Drive-Professional-Turntable/dp/B002S1CJ2Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355267799&sr=8-1&keywords=audio+technics
    Run for it, Marty.
    IT'S EVOLUTION BABY!!!!!
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    Did you end up getting the lp120?

How are you finding it? I'm currently using a $99 Sony that's about 4 or 5 years old. It's about as low end as you can get (prior to that I'd been using my grandparents 1970s Sony which actually sounded really good. unfortunately they had asked for it back).

I've been looking at the pro-ject III, but the fact you have to remove the platter and change the belt just to spin 45's, seems extremely annoying to me. (The same reason I don't really want a rega p1 which I think I would of chosen over the project carbon).

The lp120 seems to be the only turntable in the under $500 range that doesn't completely suck and isn't completely manual.

I had looked at sl-1200's, but they seem to go for about 400-500 used (not the 300 mentioned earlier in this thread). They seem to be extremely popular, and ebay prices (and craigslist prices) are getting quite high.

How is the audio quality of the the lp120? I heard they upgrade the cartridge/stylus it comes with so its alot better now. I did purchase a phono pre-amp (the one mention on p.2 of this thread) so I wouldn't need to use the internal pre-amp of the lp120.....

hmmmm....
  • yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
    Best Buy online only has 100's of turntables to choose from from cheap to outrageous but sells nothing in the actual store
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    info@wishlistfoundation.org
    Unfortunately I live in Canada. bestbuy.ca isn't nearly as versatile as bestbuy.com :(
  • reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    These are a quality turntable brand, Rega from the UK. Here's my RP1 which is the entry level model. I've had it for a little over a year and have had no problems with it, great sound, great components, highly recommended. You will need a preamp though.

2emoggm.jpg
    10gefbo.jpg

Website link here: http://www.rega.co.uk/
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
    How hard is the RP1 to switch from 45rpm to 33rpm?

If I'm going to go with a new tech (and give up my quest to find a decent used table that can switch between 33 and 45rpm) I'm leaning slightly more toward the rega rp1 over a debut carbon.
    I might have a winner:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Denon-DP300 ... ategory=46

It seems the denon-dp300f table is pretty good, but it comes with a mediocre cartridge. So I can either buy one and swap the cartidge myself, or checkout this deal from needledoctor.

Time for more googling and reviews :)

It seems to be a decent entry table and pretty good sound if using a better cartridge. It's also automatic which is something I actually want to change speeds, or have the unit power down when an album is done playing....
  • pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    Zod wrote:

good question
    aqo2t.jpg
    Zod wrote:

If I'm going to go with a new tech (and give up my quest to find a decent used table that can switch between 33 and 45rpm) I'm leaning slightly more toward the rega rp1 over a debut carbon.

Really easy. You lift off the platter, theres a small rubber band that you move from the 33rpm to 45rpm by adjusting it about 5mm, then place the platter back down. Ok it's not a switch but it's very simple.
    reesdog wrote:
    Zod wrote:

Really easy. You lift off the platter, theres a small rubber band that you move from the 33rpm to 45rpm by adjusting it about 5mm, then place the platter back down. Ok it's not a switch but it's very simple.

While it doesn't sound difficult, it does sound annoying. I do find it a little annoying that modern higher end players have a distinct disdain for being automatic.

I don't think that was the case with high end retro players?

Right now I'm in a tossup between finding a used sl-1200 or the Denon 300f with a cartidge upgrade.
    Zod wrote:
    reesdog wrote:
    Zod wrote:

While it doesn't sound difficult, it does sound annoying. I do find it a little annoying that modern higher end players have a distinct disdain for being automatic.

I don't think that was the case with high end retro players?

Right now I'm in a tossup between finding a used sl-1200 or the Denon 300f with a cartidge upgrade.

Yeah the reason this particular model isn't automatic for the switching between rpm's is because Rega are trying to make something considered high end more affordable. Most of what you are paying for is the tone-arm and a quality low vibration motor, a good platter, a decent cartridge etc, They've really simplified things and for the price its a really good turntable.

Though I had a look at that Denon link you showed and that looks like a pretty nice bit of kit too, good luck.
  • sparky_frysparky_fry Posts: 760
    edited April 2013
    Update:

When I started this thread I was hardcore on getting a turntable for christmas. After reading all the helpful posts I decided to save up and buy a better table. I don't want to ruin the vinyl by spinning it on a lower grade table but now I'm ready to divulge.

I saw this one in a previous post and it seems intriguing.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/uturnaudio/the-orbit-turntable-0

Good price and seems like a quality machine

Or i may just go with

http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject-Debut-Carbon-in-Red?sc=2&category=46

Any thoughts? Thanks for all the previous help, and future help :D
    Post edited by sparky_fry on
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Of those two you listed, I would go with the Project Debut...
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    Would you mind explaining why, Dr. Delight? I'm starting to think about getting a new turbtable myself. Mine is great, but vintage, and the arm is no longer lifting at the end of the record... time for a new one I guess! Probably smarter than spending $ on a repair for a 50 year old record player - I'll put it in storage and wait until I can afford to have the thing completely restored probably. Anyway, I'd love to know what the more knowledgeable turntable enthusiasts look at when they say one is better than the other. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734
    Also Project offers the Speedbox which allows you to change from 45 <
    > 33 rpm just by hitting a button, if you're not into swapping the belt.

http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=speedbox&cat=accessories
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

lotsalemon wrote:
    Also Project offers the Speedbox which allows you to change from 45 <
    > 33 rpm just by hitting a button, if you're not into swapping the belt.

http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=speedbox&cat=accessories
    Yes, that's important!
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Would you mind explaining why, Dr. Delight? I'm starting to think about getting a new turbtable myself. Mine is great, but vintage, and the arm is no longer lifting at the end of the record... time for a new one I guess! Probably smarter than spending $ on a repair for a 50 year old record player - I'll put it in storage and wait until I can afford to have the thing completely restored probably. Anyway, I'd love to know what the more knowledgeable turntable enthusiasts look at when they say one is better than the other. :)
    For this particular case, the reviews for the Project Debut have been phenomenal across the board. I would pay an extra $150 for a brand name with a reliable product.

I also happen to like the cartridge that comes with it a little better than the other TT listed. Like Salemon just said, you also do not need to keep popping off platters and swapping a belt to switch between rpm speeds.

I've been buying and fixing up turntables from flea markets since the very early 90's. If you can do it somewhere, try and test out some players for your own liking..though its not easy to find an audio store that specializes in record players. Ease of setup/use is a big thing that buyers look for in a new turntable as well.
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I would pay an extra $150 for a brand name with a reliable product.

But I guess that's what i'm debating, Is the brand name worth $150. It seems the whole point of the orbit is to make a quality TT without the brand name pricing. The lack of reviews is my only concern
    sparky_fry wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I would pay an extra $150 for a brand name with a reliable product.

But I guess that's what i'm debating, Is the brand name worth $150. It seems the whole point of the orbit is to make a quality TT without the brand name pricing. The lack of reviews is my only concern
    Sparky, let me ask you, what kind of setup do you have as far as speakers/receiver, etc..?
    well I'm going to be in the market for preamp after i decide on a TT. I've been looking at

http://www.guitarcenter.com/BBE-FJB-200X-Phono-Preamp-103540886-i1155721.gc#customer-reviews

which has been posted earlier. As for speakers I'll be mostly using my set Sony MDR-V6 Headphones until I get a good set of speakers
    sparky_fry wrote:
    well I'm going to be in the market for preamp after i decide on a TT. I've been looking at

http://www.guitarcenter.com/BBE-FJB-200X-Phono-Preamp-103540886-i1155721.gc#customer-reviews

which has been posted earlier. As for speakers I'll be mostly using my set Sony MDR-V6 Headphones until I get a good set of speakers
    Ok, based on that info...sounds like you are in no hurry to get the setup of your dreams..willing to take your time, I'll suggest you go with the first, cheaper one. That way you can save some money.

Now you can get your speakers/preamp, and enjoy the entire setup.
    You can always upgrade any and all components of your system in the future.
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    For this particular case, the reviews for the Project Debut have been phenomenal across the board. I would pay an extra $150 for a brand name with a reliable product.

I also happen to like the cartridge that comes with it a little better than the other TT listed. Like Salemon just said, you also do not need to keep popping off platters and swapping a belt to switch between rpm speeds.

I've been buying and fixing up turntables from flea markets since the very early 90's. If you can do it somewhere, try and test out some players for your own liking..though its not easy to find an audio store that specializes in record players. Ease of setup/use is a big thing that buyers look for in a new turntable as well.
    Fortunately, I have a GREAT store that specializes in used turntables (and related equipment) in Vancouver. Lotusland - amazing place; the help is great. But no new stuff... which is fine too - I might go that way - and they still give good advice on new turntables and would even help with set up if I brought them a player, but they don't sell them new, so it's great to hear about the specifics on the new ones here. :)
    Oh, also, I don't have a preamp, and don't want one if I can avoid it. I'm happy with just my receiver. I've not been clear on whether or not many new turntables NEED a preamp? Can anyone say how common or uncommon new turntables that don't require one are?
    sparky_fry wrote:

Ok, based on that info...sounds like you are in no hurry to get the setup of your dreams..willing to take your time, I'll suggest you go with the first, cheaper one. That way you can save some money.

Now you can get your speakers/preamp, and enjoy the entire setup.
    You can always upgrade any and all components of your system in the future.

I am in no way looking for the setup of my dreams, I need a house before that :lol: I've only graduated university a year ago and I'm just looking for something that I won't regret playing my vinyl on 10 years from now. My old man also has an old school floor model table which will be mine when I eventually get my own place
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Oh, also, I don't have a preamp, and don't want one if I can avoid it. I'm happy with just my receiver. I've not been clear on whether or not many new turntables NEED a preamp? Can anyone say how common or uncommon new turntables that don't require one are?
    Does the back of your receiver have a Phono input?
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Yes.
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Yes.
    You dont need a preamp then. Plug in and play.
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Yes.
    You dont need a preamp then. Plug in and play.
    Yay. Thanks. :)