Options

the purity myth

catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
edited November 2012 in A Moving Train
thoughts?

http://www.mommyish.com/2011/12/08/stuf ... inity-387/

I first read The Purity Myth by noted feminist Jennifer Valenti when I was a young independent lady making my own life in the Big Apple. But upon finishing, I thought that the core elements of this book should be shared with much younger girls. Some parents like to believe that their little girls won’t be divided into a whore/virgin dichotomy until high school, but as The Purity Myth can attest to, this “good girls” and “bad girls” split actually happens much younger.

Even fast-paced metropolitan cities still float mythologies that virginity is a young girl’s most important attribute — above scholastic achievements, generosity, and other values that she chooses to pick up a long the way. Young girls abstaining from sex for other personal reasons is an entirely different issue from an entire culture that gleans a girls’ integrity from her sexual activity — while for boys, sex never seems to be a prominant factor in determining their moral character.

All these complexities are discussed and analyzed in The Purity Myth along with “purity balls” — organized parties in which daughters make promises to their fathers to remain virgins until marriage — and the actual definition of “virginity.” Spoiler: there isn’t one! According to Valenti and her research, there is no medical definition of virginity and the concept continues to be “riddled with ambiguity.”

The Purity Myth has now been developed into a film with Ms. Valenti narrating her findings up on the big screen, pointing out that our girls are more than “virgins” and “whores.” Reducing girls to these tropes ignores the accomplishments that they’ll ultimately make in their lives and dismisses them as complex people.

Within the trailer is a clip from one of Jessica’s TV appearances in which she boils down the purity myth to this concise explanation:

The purity myth is the lie that women’s sexuality has some bearing on who we are and how good we are, because really I think we all know that young women are so much more than whether or not they have sex. We really should be teaching our daughters that their ability to be good people should be based on their intelligence, on their compassion, their kindness, not what they do with their bodies.

Jessica’s argument takes on new resonance in light of the recent decision to overrule the FDA in allowing Plan B for American girls, allegedly for safety.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96n25hvuOTw
hear my name
take a good look
this could be the day
hold my hand
lie beside me
i just need to say
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    i think it's about context, if any girl goes with/dates a guy long enough it's implied they will have sex, but some girls really get around and leave a long list of broken hearts in their path just like some guys, it' think there's whores on both sides.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    what two or more consenting individuals do with their bodies is up to them ... it indeed does not take away from some of the more important things we should judge a person by ...
  • Options
    I think it stems from a long standing, I hate to use the word "tradition", but I'm linguistically failing at the moment, that it's part of a man's genetics to spread his seed. that is ultimately the goal of the human male, so the more that goal is achieved, the better the man.

and a woman's supposed role in our species is to bear the child of that male.

it's going to be a long time before it's socially acceptable for a woman to be confidently openly sexual and not married.

I have never been that kind of guy. My "number" is extremely low compared to most guys I grew up with. I view guys and girls who have high numbers (at a young age) the same. People who are looking for something emotional and compensating through the sexual.

But that's just my armchair shrink opinion.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    I haven't read any of Valenti's work. I know there's been some criticism among the feminist community, but I can't remember what it is. But I agree with what you posted here. I think the virgin/whore dichotomy is still going strong, especially among teen girls. Some have even postulated that our society's sexualization of girls while at the same telling them to keep their virginity is a determinant of the extremely high teen pregnancy rate, especially among Latinas. Regardless, I don't think those purity balls are good for the teen pregnancy rates. I think the forced belief that you will never have sex before marriage just leads to being unprepared when you do have sex. And think about the message we're sending when we tell girls that their virginity is the most valuable thing they have; what will they want to give to the first boy they think they're in love with to prove their love to him if not their most prized possession that he's asking for as proof? And once their virginity is gone, so is their reason for refraining from sex.