Options

12 year old @#&% memes

catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
edited October 2012 in A Moving Train
http://melindatankardreist.com/2012/10/ ... luts-page/

‘As long as there are sluts we will put them in their place’:QUT students behind ’12 year old sluts’ FB page

Melinda Tankard Reist Add comments

When will QUT take action against James Silverwood and Dominic Terry?

A petition was recently launched to pressure Facebook to remove a page called ’12 year old slut memes.’

The page, used to bully, humiliate, expose and shame young girls had attracted over 200,000 ‘likers.’

Thousands of complaints have been submitted to Facebook via the page’s reporting system and a petition directed to Facebook. Facebook has refused to remove the page, defending it on the grounds of free speech and tagging it as ‘controversial humor.’

It has now emerged that the creators of the page are two 19 year old QUT students from Brisbane. James Silverwood and Dominic Terry are immensely proud of their creation and have continued to defend it.

Due to the amount of legal strife that we have been running into about the group, and the fact that we are just two 19 year old guys that obviously can’t afford a law suit to their name, we have regrettably decided to close the page, permanently.

I know we have lots of devoted fans that come on here to see the countless arguments and dumb sluts trying to justify themselves, sometimes it’s just too personally detrimental to have something like this group and it has to die.

We’ll miss you guys. Thanks for everything guys.

Dom & James.

Nahhhhhh, just gammin’.
As long as there are sluts, we will put them in their place. Keep the submissions coming guys.
We’re not going anywhere. x

How Dominic Terry and James Silverwood bully young girls in front of over 200,000 people. We’ve removed the young girl’s image

One wonders what QUT thinks of their students bullying, harassing and shaming little girls to ‘put them in their place.’ QUT has said they are investigating the issue. Since this has come to light James Silverwood’s personal Facebook page has disappeared and references to QUT have been removed from Dominic Terry’s page. A number of photographs have been removed from the offending page although the “12 year old slut memes” Facebook page is still there.

Of course, this is not enough. The creators of the page – 19 year old men – need to be held accountable and the page removed. It is never acceptable to target, bully, harass and shame little girls.

QUT responds with Facebook statement

“QUT does not condone exploitative, discriminatory or sexist behaviour. Our policies show clearly that we are committed to the strongest principles of equity and it is disappointing that the university has been associated with such content.

I am sure you would appreciate that QUT has no jurisdiction over the behaviour of its student population independently of their relationship with us, but the university has convenyed its views on these activities to the students.

We are unable to comment further on this situation in social media.”

The 12 Year old Slut Meme and Facebook’s misogyny problem

Hey, Facebook:
One in three women on the planet will be raped or beaten in her lifetime
Millions of girls and women are murdered in “domestic violence” situations
Millions are sold, scarred, tortured, sexually abused and more

For being born female on a planet that tolerates unconscionable levels of violence against half of the humans that live on it.

So? What does this have to do with Facebook? Turns out a whole lot, because there is no being neutral in this situation. You either help change it or you actively tolerate it and encourage the perpetrators of violence by doing so.

Earlier this week I wrote about how the use of photography (especially without the subject’s consent) intensifies harassment, abuse and violence against women. Quicker than I could type “Feministe” this Change.org petition appeared in my inbox: “Please sign to remove 12 Year Old Slut Memes from Facebook.” One of the offending page’s profile photos is of a pink-lipped and pouty child (she looks a lot younger than 12) wearing a tank top that reads “I love COCK.” Now, anyone can create a page in Facebook (published at Facebook’s discretion) and this page doesn’t openly advocate violence against 12-year-old sluts. It is, however, the virtual equivalent of street harassment and, as such, demonstrates the way the photography serves to exponentially magnify the effects of subtle and real violence along a broad spectrum. Read entire article here.

Sign the petition calling on Facebook to remove ’12 year old slut memes’

http://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/p ... s-facebook

Contact Queensland University of Technology

https://www.facebook.com/QUTBrisbane

[UPDATE]

Courier Mail – Degrading Facebook page created by Queensland university students shut down

QUT students, creators of banned ’12-year-old sluts’ Facebook page, vow to return

Morons or crusaders? The two Brisbane university students behind a controversial Facebook account that was shut down yesterday have vowed to return to “uncover other problems in society”.

Created under the names of Queensland University of Technology students James Silverwood and Dom Terry, the page published photos of young girls posing in pictures that had been already posted on the social media site on their own pages.

These pictures were then branded with lewd tags and posted on the crudely named “12-year-old sluts” page.

It urged the public to leave comments, and implored others to post their own pictures. Read complete article here.

The Facebook page mentioned in an ABC 7.30 report.

Watch the program at this link: Facebook pages reveal not so social media

Australian Communications and Media Authority response

One of our supporters made a complaint to the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) and received this response:

The internet content specified in your complaint has been found to be hosted outside Australia. The ACMA is therefore required to take action in accordance with Schedule 5 to the Broadcasting Services Act 1992 (the BSA).

Further, following investigation of your complaint, the ACMA:

· Found that the content was potential prohibited content, in accordance with the definitions under clause 21 to Schedule 7 of the BSA.

· Referred the content to the makers of Internet Industry Association (IIA) approved filters.

· Referred the content to the appropriate law enforcement agency.

Despite media reports suggesting that Facebook had banned the page, this is not the case. It is clear that it was the two men who opted to close the page, not Facebook. Prior to closing the page the two men had posted a message stating their intention to close it along with a pathetic attempt at justifying their behaviour. We believe it was the increased media attention, reports of an investigation from the Australian Federal Police, their University and parents being notified of their behaviour that ultimately caused the two men to close the page.

Since this page was closed, several other identical pages have been created by ‘anonymous’ users. Facebook refuses to take these pages down, instead tagging them with [Controversial Humor]. According to Facebook, a page set up to facilitate bullying and harassment of little girls does not violate its policy:

Thanks for your recent report of a potential violation on Facebook. After reviewing your report, we were not able to confirm that the specific page you reported violates Facebook’s Statement of Rights and Responsibilities.

We will continue putting pressure on Facebook to enforce its terms

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/nation ... 6494736269

MORONS or crusaders? The two Brisbane university students behind a controversial Facebook account that was shut down yesterday have vowed to return to "uncover other problems in society".

Created under the names of Queensland University of Technology students James Silverwood and Dom Terry, the page published photos of young girls posing in pictures that had been already posted on the social media site on their own pages.

These pictures were then branded with lewd tags and posted on the crudely named "12-year-old sluts" page.

It urged the public to leave comments, and implored others to post their own pictures.

The page had more than 216,000 followers before it was canned yesterday, and had been the subject of intense debate in online forums and panel shows in the UK and US.

The two QUT students behind the account said in their last post that they created the page to "bring to light the fact that many girls under the age of consent are sexualising themselves in provocative photographs that they themselves post on their own Facebook".

"Watch this space" were their last words on the now defunct page.

The last message said: "Some have condemned our actions. The media have misrepresented our actions and our message, many articles, (even reputable news sources) have provided completely fabricated information that has since been taken as fact."

The Courier-Mail made contact with Mr Silverwood after his shocked mother passed on his mobile phone number two weeks ago.

He said: "Yeah, I know why you are calling . . . I am busy at the moment."

Follow-up calls went unanswered.

Mr Silverwood's father, Alan, said on Thursday that he was unimpressed with his son's involvement.

"They have pulled right out of it," he said.

"It is a rogue site now I think."

All attempts to contact Mr Terry went unanswered.

Facebook also did not respond to questions before deadline.

Gympie teacher Ann Rasenberger, who launched an online petition against the site, said yesterday she was disappointed it wasn't shut down sooner.

"I think Facebook has a lot to answer for. It can be a positive medium for communication but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to how they police it," she said.

QUT Acting Registrar Bruce McCallum said: "QUT does not condone exploitative, discriminatory or sexist behaviour and is committed to the strongest principles of equity and it is disappointing that the university has been associated with such content.

"QUT has no jurisdiction over the behaviour of its student population independently of their relationship with the university but has conveyed its views on these activities to the students.

"The situation will continue to be monitored and appropriate action taken as required."
hear my name
take a good look
this could be the day
hold my hand
lie beside me
i just need to say
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    i weep for a society that finds this kind of thing amusing. it is not funny and yet again we have the denigration of females by males who are chuffed with their own 'cleverness'. theres nothing clever about branding a vulnerable section of our society in this way. all it does is perpetuate that females are available to be harassed, laughed at, disempowered, cheapen all because they were born without a penis. why is the toleration level for misogyny so high. sure you could say these idiots are just stupid teenagers going for cheap laughs.. but at what cost. however they should be held accountable and this kind of behaviour should not be swept under the carpet as youuthful high jinks.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    our young & old are soo fucked up with modern technology and whatnot. i feel sad for anyone being targeted and i feel for those who target because they are so fucking stupid and weak.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    I don't even know where to begin with how appalling this is. That the choice was to ridicule children, that it had 200,000 followers, that Facebook considered it "free speech," that the young men's school could take no action, or that these two fools seem to think they had accomplished something worthwhile.

Disgusting.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    I don't even know where to begin with how appalling this is. That the choice was to ridicule children, that it had 200,000 followers, that Facebook considered it "free speech," that the young men's school could take no action, or that these two fools seem to think they had accomplished something worthwhile.

Disgusting.
    very much disgusting indeed. those fools accomplished making themselves useless & cruel
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options

Disgusting.

its not so much that their school cant take action, its that they wont.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    Do parents even get involved anymore, if my kid did something like these two young fool have done it would be a whole lot of trouble for him ...

Facebook = Crapfest
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    my youngest daughter is 13 and i watch daily as she struggles with her identity. who she wants to be, who she thinks poeple want her to be.. her private self/ her public self. her journey from child to young women. and it pisses me off that people like these boys find it amusing to insult and mock vulnerable children. but im afraid to say its just a reflection of society in general.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    I've seen a lot of articles about this over the past several weeks but haven't had the heart to look at the page. I can't believe people think we don't live in a rape culture. I hope those two boys' names are so widely circulated and associated with this website that they can never get a job - or get laid.
  • Options
    _ wrote:
    I've seen a lot of articles about this over the past several weeks but haven't had the heart to look at the page. I can't believe people think we don't live in a rape culture. I hope those two boys' names are so widely circulated and associated with this website that they can never get a job - or get laid.

i wonder how theyre going to explain their heinous behaviour to their teenage daughter should it befall us that they breed one day.. youthful highjunks?? daddy was a douche??
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,720
    chadwick wrote:
    our young & old are soo fucked up with modern technology and whatnot. i feel sad for anyone being targeted and i feel for those who target because they are so fucking stupid and weak.

"Old and fucked up with modern technology." I have to confess that sounds all too familiar. :lol:

But seriously, damn bullying. I hate it. Bullying is the biggest form of cowardice.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I think these two young "men" are utter pieces of shit...but I also have to wonder about this part of the article - it's been in my head since reading the thread yesterday:

"One of the offending page’s profile photos is of a pink-lipped and pouty child (she looks a lot younger than 12) wearing a tank top that reads “I love COCK.”

Was that a photo legitimately taken & posted by said child?

If so - is anyone looking at her parent(s) for not only having their daughter wearing a shirt proclaiming cock-love, but also access to Facebook at that age, and putting photos online?

As disgusting as the page itself, shouldn't we also consider the lack of - not sure of the proper word here, self-esteem? self-respect? - within these young girls to even put themselves in these types of positions?

(not judging, thinking aloud)
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    Yeah i know for sure my daughter is not ever wearing a T with a slogan like that and yeah how could the parents not have known that something like this was brewing ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    hedonist wrote:
    I think these two young "men" are utter pieces of shit...but I also have to wonder about this part of the article - it's been in my head since reading the thread yesterday:

"One of the offending page’s profile photos is of a pink-lipped and pouty child (she looks a lot younger than 12) wearing a tank top that reads “I love COCK.”

Was that a photo legitimately taken & posted by said child?

If so - is anyone looking at her parent(s) for not only having their daughter wearing a shirt proclaiming cock-love, but also access to Facebook at that age, and putting photos online?

As disgusting as the page itself, shouldn't we also consider the lack of - not sure of the proper word here, self-esteem? self-respect? - within these young girls to even put themselves in these types of positions?

(not judging, thinking aloud)

I only saw that photo briefly so I can't say whether it was legit or Photoshopped. But, if I recall correctly, the girl was young enough that I don't think she possibly had a FB page or the ability to post anything herself.
  • Options
    LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    This is terrible. Makes me terrified to think what my daughter's school life will be like when she is 12.
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014