Options

Fighting For GA Is No Different Than Fighting For Yourself

12346»

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524
    Wilds wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Until it gets back to this keep your GA shows. :lol: If it's this then I'm all in. Until then it's just people smushed togeter for no reason doing nothing than what happens with reserved seating. I think I saw a dolphin jump through the air at 53 seconds. :lol:

Pick one head and try to follow it the whole video! Good luck. This is GA at a PJ show ladies and gentlemen the way it should be. Love the mass of people that fall at the 1:20 mark on the left. Thats a rock show with GA!!! :lol: Excuses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl6FunZimGQ
    :lol::lol: I think it was a sand shark!

I don't know why you guys don't like the ga with camping idea. It's not standing amonst your tents watching. There would be an open field in front of the stage. I'm sure if the band had there other bands playing throughout the day, people would be less likely to be squeezed in like sardines once Pearl Jam goes on. Hopefully a lot of people will get wasted by then pass out and the survival of the fittest and soberist wil go into effect. ;)

Camping at "Lemonwheel" 1996 Phish Loring Air Force Base Limestone, ME

phish.gif

And the venue for "The Great Went" 1997 Phish Loring Air Force Base Limestone, ME

phish1.jpg

And Phish New Years Eve 2000 Big Cypress, FL

c31site.jpg

In all of these 50,000-80,000 person festivals there is a tent/camping area, and an area for the show.

I went to the The Great Went, Oswego, and Big Cypress.

Had a blast. Now I was in my 20's, wasn't married, and didn't have kids.

Now I'm 38 and this idea appeals a little less to me. But it is totally possible.

I think what this whole argument boils down to is really just an understanding of what Pearl Jam's fan base is.

We (the lucky ones) who were in our teens or 20's when Pearl Jam bust onto the scene got to experience Pearl Jam in GA with the crowd surfing, diving, moving in a mosh style all over the pit.

They were appropriate concert etiquette with the appropriate band at the appropriate time. Fuck, Eddie was stage diving, and crowd surfing, and climbing up the rafters.

He doesn't do that anymore. Just as he has evolved and moved passed that frantic teen angst and reckless abandon, so have the bulk of the 30something, 40something, fans.

Now of course if you find yourself to be 18 at the moment, I'm sure you long for those days. But they aint coming back for Pearl Jam concerts.

I was in Europe. There was GA. The crowd was great, but just like DS says, a GA show now a days isn't much different from a seated show.

Everyone rocks out in their spot, be it with or without a chair.

So sure, if you are willing to wait around from 6am to get up front, you are happy with GA. If you want to be uncomfortable for 10 hours, to have an amazing up front show, that is great. Those opportunities will arise.

But most of us don't want to fight against the assholes that push up front, invade our personal space, and pack us in so tight that you can't see shit.

The 90's are over. Sorry you missed it.

They fucking rocked.
    It's just a matter of what you're into. Camping in a huge field amongst thousands (of mostly drunk and/or high people) is my idea of hell, that's all. Those photos made me think "holy fuck, that's awful!!!" (Not the stage part - the mass-camping part. Although I have no interest in going to festivals that are that massive anymore either; I don't actually like crowds all that much, at least not where you can't get away from it if you want to). Ugh, all those people crammed together in this huge open area, many getting fucked up the whole time (not that there's anything wrong with that), no one is showering, and I don't even want to imagine the fucking porta-potty situation. :? But I'm positive that the 1992 - 1999 me would have been there is a millisecond!!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    You guys must have low membership numbers. :mrgreen:
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • Options
    Is there really a group of people who say that GA yields "more energy" or something? I really think it's pretty obvious that people want GA because they'll get a better spot, just like YOU (OP) don't want GA because that infringes on your ability to have a great reserved spot. Selfish? Yes. Wrong or immoral? No. I mean, it makes total sense from both perspectives. I'm 20, I missed growing up with PJ shows in the '90s, I know that. I know the old days aren't coming back again. That doesn't change the fact that I'd like to get up closer to see them than my number allows, and I think it's not inherently wrong to think that, as you're suggesting with the "TOUGH BANANAS LIFE AINT FAIR SONNY!" thing you've got going. I'm well aware that "life ain't fair", and I'm also well aware that I don't have an intrinsic right to see Pearl Jam the closest I possibly can. But that doesn't change the fact that I would like to have GA shows to see them as close as I possibly can.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524
    mtolan514 wrote:
    Is there really a group of people who say that GA yields "more energy" or something? I really think it's pretty obvious that people want GA because they'll get a better spot, just like YOU (OP) don't want GA because that infringes on your ability to have a great reserved spot. Selfish? Yes. Wrong or immoral? No. I mean, it makes total sense from both perspectives. I'm 20, I missed growing up with PJ shows in the '90s, I know that. I know the old days aren't coming back again. That doesn't change the fact that I'd like to get up closer to see them than my number allows, and I think it's not inherently wrong to think that, as you're suggesting with the "TOUGH BANANAS LIFE AINT FAIR SONNY!" thing you've got going. I'm well aware that "life ain't fair", and I'm also well aware that I don't have an intrinsic right to see Pearl Jam the closest I possibly can. But that doesn't change the fact that I would like to have GA shows to see them as close as I possibly can.
    It is true for some, but for me and many others, wanting a better spot has nothing to do with preferring GA.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mtolan514 wrote:
    Pearl Jam Back to the 90's Festival :clap:
    With RV hookups and hotel packages for all you wimps that can't handle camping in a tent. :lol:
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    mtolan514 wrote:

Thank you for being honest. :thumbup: I have never hid my feelings. And yes, there are MANY members here who feel GA shows brings more energy which is pretty false except for the fact they may be closer so perhaps they feel more connected with the show. And youre number doesn't exclude you from seeing the show up close. You have a 40% chance of being guaranteed in the first 10 rows if you can score 10c tickets. Probably a better shot than GA actually especially when PJ plays the bigger venues that they do when they actually do tour.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,058
    DS1119 wrote:
    And youre number doesn't exclude you from seeing the show up close. You have a 40% chance of being guaranteed in the first 10 rows if you can score 10c tickets. Probably a better shot than GA actually especially when PJ plays the bigger venues that they do when they actually do tour.

While I agree with your larger point, your math is way off here. The odds of being in the first ten rows with a low member number are single digits (even lower in amphitheaters where the number of seats in a row up close are fewer).

Total seats in rows 1,2,9,10 / Total Ten Club tickets sold for that show

And that's even assuming that every seat in those lottery rows is a ticket going to a Ten Club member and not guests of the band, etc.