Options

Fighting For GA Is No Different Than Fighting For Yourself

Comments

• Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Carey wrote:
    Fuck yes it's because I want to be up front. I think 100% in line in Missoula would have said the same.

Well there you go. Finally someone without a bullshit excuse of why they want GA shows. :clap:

Now I counter with...do you think it's fair to throw away the seniority system?
  • Options
    SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    Carey wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Who decides what time the list starts, and what prevents someone from starting a different list earlier then the generally-obeyed list?

No one determines what time the line starts, it's just the craziest, er I mean first person who arrives. They arrive at the Tenclub Entrance, start the list, and STAY there.

The list was suggested and we started it at 5:30am right after I got there, I was 10th, first guy got there at 2:30. One guy got there at midnight but was chased off.

Funny right after ten club tickets we being handed out this euro dude decides to stand, AT THE FRONT of the line like he'd been there all day. It was pretty unbelievable.
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    Carey wrote:
    Fuck yes it's because I want to be up front. I think 100% in line in Missoula would have said the same.

Well there you go. Finally someone without a bullshit excuse of why they want GA shows. :clap:

Who the hell do you think you are bro? Really? Calling people out because they want to be closer to the band with GA shows... saying people have ulterior motives for wanting GA? Who does this? What is the matter with you? :roll:
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    btw..we have seniotity system at GA europe shows ..when they sell 10c seated...

at the wings...seniority..i had seated with seniority at manchester 09.

Arena...GA...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    SolarWorld wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    The venue in MT has the time to deal with a couple of hundred fans in line who had GA tickets who cared about getting in early. MSG in NYC could give two fucks about any list. :lol: Those gates open the line moves in. Do you think bigger venues would actually give a shit about this? Do you think the 10c would hire someone to go from show to show to monitor this? :lol:

No buddy but you're acting like its not possible ever. There is no reason why the line cant be respected, well I guess people like you wont respect it, but once the door is opened all bets are off. The line just gets you in better position to not be a total jerk and push your way to the front. Maybe that's why they dont do GA cause they know people like you act like this...

"F those people who stood in line all day!" "Im getting in front of them!" I dont really care but I choose not to be an asshat at shows...

I guess you don't know me at all "buddy". Glad you think you know me though "buddy". I guess you don't know "people like me" too well then "buddy". I suggest you do a little reading around here before you start calling me "buddy" and assuming you know me...."buddy".
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    SolarWorld wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    The venue in MT has the time to deal with a couple of hundred fans in line who had GA tickets who cared about getting in early. MSG in NYC could give two fucks about any list. :lol: Those gates open the line moves in. Do you think bigger venues would actually give a shit about this? Do you think the 10c would hire someone to go from show to show to monitor this? :lol:

No buddy but you're acting like its not possible ever. There is no reason why the line cant be respected, well I guess people like you wont respect it, but once the door is opened all bets are off. The line just gets you in better position to not be a total jerk and push your way to the front. Maybe that's why they dont do GA cause they know people like you act like this...

"F those people who stood in line all day!" "Im getting in front of them!" I dont really care but I choose not to be an asshat at shows...

I guess you don't know me at all "buddy". Glad you think you know me though "buddy". I guess you don't know "people like me" too well then "buddy". I suggest you do a little reading around here before you start calling me "buddy" and assuming you know me...."buddy".

Oh you haven't heard!?

"Buddy" is a term of endearment! You are so awesome! :fp:

I dont need to ask around about you, you are doing a fine job yourself...
  • Options
    SolarWorld wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Carey wrote:

Who the hell do you think you are bro? Really? Calling people out because they want to be closer to the band with GA shows... saying people have ulterior motives for wanting GA? Who does this? What is the matter with you? :roll:

How is this calling out anyone? Have you even read my original post? Seriosuly, have you? Right in my post I clearly stated that if I were kn those members shoes I would be pushing for the same thing. You did read that right? I'm just sick of hearing all these bullshit excuses for GA instead of just the truth. Just members saying "yes...I want GA shows so I can sit close". That's it. Not the BS...just the truth.
  • Options
    btw..we have seniotity system at GA europe shows ..when they sell 10c seated...

at the wings...seniority..i had seated with seniority at manchester 09.

Arena...GA...

Will never work or happen in this country.
  • Options
    SolarWorld wrote:
    Oh you haven't heard!?

"Buddy" is a term of endearment! You are so awesome! :fp:

I dont need to ask around about you, you are doing a fine job yourself...

Whatever buddy. And remember thats a term of endearment.
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    How is this calling out anyone? Have you even read my original post? Seriosuly, have you? Right in my post I clearly stated that if I were kn those members shoes I would be pushing for the same thing. You did read that right? I'm just sick of hearing all these bullshit excuses for GA instead of just the truth. Just members saying "yes...I want GA shows so I can sit close". That's it. Not the BS...just the truth.

All these bullshit excuses? Man must be a lot of them for you to go all "Fuck you Guys!" on the board, go ahead list them... I'll wait.

1. I want to be closer to the band........... :think:
  • Options
    SolarWorld wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

All these bullshit excuses? Man must be a lot of them for you to go all "Fuck you Guys!" on the board, go ahead list them... I'll wait.

Now it's even more apparent you truly haven't read the first post. They're right there.
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    SolarWorld wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Now it's even more apparent you truly haven't read the first post. They're right there.

:lol::lol::lol:

I read your post, but I didn't realize THOSE are your "excuses" that made you so mad!!! "ARRRGHHHH!!!!" :lol::lol::lol::lol: People want to be together? People like to party up front instead of seats? How do you know what their intentions are? Again, who do you think you are? Ridiculous.... :fp:
  • Options
    SolarWorld wrote:
    :lol::lol::lol:

I read your post, but I didn't realize THOSE are your "excuses" that made you so mad!!! "ARRRGHHHH!!!!" :lol::lol::lol::lol: People want to be together? People like to party up front instead of seats? How do you know what their intentions are? Again, who do you think you are? Ridiculous.... :fp:

I know who I am and I am making my observation. Who do you think you are? :fp:

It's just a simple case of people pushing for a means that they think gets them to the front. Like I said in my post, if I were in their shoes I'd push for the same thing. But stop with all of the bullshit excuses that GA shows are better becasue the crowd is more into it...I can stand with my friends....I can see better....bullshit. There isn't a member here that would turn down a reserved third row ticket at a show for a general admission ticket to a show. Not one.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

I will man-up and say that as someone with a 72xxx member number, I want them to keep things status quo. I am glad they found a middle ground with the lottery.

Well put and honest. :clap: Nothing wrong with pure honesty. I'm 64xxx so why the fuck would I not want GA shows? The exact reason why people with high numbers want them...but I'm the asshole for actually saying it.
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    but I'm the asshole for actually saying it.

Nooooo, I think its how you are saying it....
  • Options
    mookieb10mookieb10 Posts: 930
    After being a fan for years, I finally joined the 10c a year ago. I'll never be up close without GA, that's why I went to Europe this summer. Yup, it's to my benefit to have GA shows.

There's two issues here:
    1) What is the best form of meritocracy? I know meritocracy is a terrible word to all the lefties around here, but should the guy who joined a year ago be closer to the stage than the guy who joined in 1992 if he gets to the venue earlier? I think so, if you wait 12 hours in line, you're going to bring more energy to the building, plus, if you've been a fan club member since I was 4 years old, that's OK, you have the same chance to get as close as I do.

2) Can there ever be a system that works well enough?
    You'll never get to perfect, but the European style seemed to work well enough. Your not giving wristbands to 10,000 people either, your giving them to 1,500 or so, probably 300 of which will line up by noon the day of the show. It's not really an overwhelming number of people to deal with.
  • Options
    mookieb10 wrote:
    After being a fan for years, I finally joined the 10c a year ago. I'll never be up close without GA, that's why I went to Europe this summer. Yup, it's to my benefit to have GA shows.

There's two issues here:
    1) What is the best form of meritocracy? I know meritocracy is a terrible word to all the lefties around here, but should the guy who joined a year ago be closer to the stage than the guy who joined in 1992 if he gets to the venue earlier? I think so, if you wait 12 hours in line, you're going to bring more energy to the building, plus, if you've been a fan club member since I was 4 years old, that's OK, you have the same chance to get as close as I do.

You'll never get to perfect, but the European style seemed to work well enough. Your not giving wristbands to 10,000 people either, your giving them to 1,500 or so, probably 300 of which will line up by noon the day of the show. It's not really an overwhelming number of people to deal with.
    and depence the show...i would say 150 tops line up....the biggest line up must be at copenhagen this year..
    and 150 means...all at first 3 rows...so if u dont line up and arrive 5 min before early entrance starts..then..u are 3-4 row..simple as that..
    early entrance with wristbands is a great benefit..
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    My sister and her boyfriend went to a few shows over in Europe this summer and they were disgusted with the way some people were self-policing the line.

I'll be honest, I've been in a lot of GA crowds, I was in two this past week, and when it comes to idiot pricks pushing their way past you in a crowd, acting stupid or plain just not following proper concert etiquette Pearl Jam fans are the worst. Not saying those people are on this forum, maybe they are, I'm just saying from my own personal experience, I find PJ fans as a whole, to be very selfish at shows.

I don't agree with GA in North America because I truly believe the seniority method is fair. My number is crap and I'll never win the lottery. I sit between 19-24 rows away every show but I accept the fact that there were people who signed up before me and there will be people who signed up after me. Adding the 4 lottery rows makes it even more fair. For example, My old man signed up in 2009. His number is up in the 450 range and he won 10th row in Hamilton last year. Still 9 rows closer than I've ever been, and I'm okay with that because this method is fair. It lets the people with seniority use it, and gives a shot to people with crap numbers a chance to get close. Everyone wins.

Keeping my fingers crossed that one day I'll win row one. If I don't You bet your ass I'm still going to enjoy the shit out of what ever show I'm at.

Great points. I just think of the merchandise lines at PJ shows. Wonderful sense of community there. :lol: :crazy: :roll:
  • Options
    SolarWorld wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

So the brutal truth offends you. I cut right to the shit. Sorry about that.
  • Options
    mookieb10 wrote:

There's two issues here:

and depence the show...i would say 150 tops line up....the biggest line up must be at copenhagen this year..
    and 150 means...all at first 3 rows...so if u dont line up and arrive 5 min before early entrance starts..then..u are 3-4 row..simple as that..
    early entrance with wristbands is a great benefit..

There was more than 150 in MT and even a percentage of those people couldn't and didn't stay in line all day. The GA system won't work for PJ in the States with the limited number of shows they play and the size of the venues in the major markets they go to. Shit, if the "first three rows" theory is correct the first two rows are randomly allocated and then 9 and 10....40% of the first ten rows through the lottery with reserved seating so we are already further ahead. :lol: Also, no stress, no waiting in line, no one pushing to get a position. Just overall a much cleaner and better system. Plus don't forget all of the seats that are already licensed out to season ticket holders in the venues that PJ now plays. Trust me...those aren't going anywhere especially with the prices those people pay for those seats.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    DS1119 wrote:
    Carey wrote:
    I am not sure you have a completely accurate picture of how the line and the list works. And I have only had one experience with a GA line at Missoula, but here is my take. The first person in line starts the list, everyone signs in and their hand gets numbered accordingly. I arrived at the line around 9:30 AM and was 39th in line at Missoula. I left the line a few different times to use the restroom, but otherwise I was there the entire day. And when I say "line" I mean the area near the 10 club entrance. People were sitting in a grassy area, or sitting on the curb, or sitting in chairs in the general area of the "line", but no one was in a single file line all day. The majority of the people were there all day long. Sure there were some people who signed in and then tried to leave for the entire day and that pissed many of us off. And there were also people who waited in line all day and then suddenly had several friends join them to go in when the doors opened. There were also a couple of people who arrived too late and then just tried to write a random number on their hand (bald guys, you know who you are :nono: ). But the majority of the people ushe the system in a fair and respectable manner. If people could just act civilized and respect the system it would all work out fine. But once you get in you also have people pushing their way to the front of you, which fortunately did not happen to me because I have a giant brother and there were some other giant dudes standing near me. I am not against GA, nor am I against the "unofficial" line. The numbering system and list is crucial because people cannot stand in line all day without using the restroom. Sure, a guy could just pee in a bottle or something, but where does that leave the ladies? Also, to step away from the line to get food or drink should not be a big deal either. The tricky part is that people abuse the system, and it leaves people like me who tried to follow the rules somewhat pissed off by the end of the day. All of this is to say, the system can work, and much like everything else in life, some people will just try to fuck it up.

No one says you can't step out of line to use the restroom and have someone hold your place. We all know this didn't happen and usually doesn't happen. Also, this GA crowd was slighlty different in MT. There was what....1,000 people....anyone here expect this system to work in NYC, Philadelphia, Boston, LA, etc. It would be pure chaos. 1000's and 10000's of people working on the honor system at MSG! :lol::lol: Good luck with that. :lol::lol: Thank goodness the band will never seriously play GA shows in the States.
    Worked for the most part the way Carey described at the 6 Europe shows I went to. It's not perfect and there will always be the jerks that cut in front, but that will happen with or without a list. I would argue it would be easier for people to cut in line without the numbers.

The numbers are meaningless after about the first 50 or so anyway in my opinion. I was in a line where #189 was mad at #180 because she was gone for a little while and #189 wouldn't let #180 in front of her. Honestly doesn't make much of a difference at that point you all end up more or less in the same vicinity. It's when you arrive early and sleep overnight and you are trying to get to the rail where the list and numbers becomes crucial. Everyone who was in line with you will know you are there, and you have your number on your hand and the "list" to prove it. No one's buddy can slide in and insist they were there all day. The numbers just helps that along when everyone's half asleep, hungry and not thinking straight. Without the numbers and list, it's your word against theirs.

And I disagree with your original post. Yes, it's about getting closest to the stage but it's also about being with your friends and making new ones. With seated shows, you show up in time for the show and you sit with your 10c ticket buddy. Sometimes you know this person, sometimes you don't. But because you show up just to make it into the show, you wouldn't have bonded with this person if you didn't know them. If you've waited in line all day to get up close for GA, even if you weren't friends before, you end up being friends with people around you. I met some awesome people in Europe that I would never have met if I had seated tickets.
  • Options
    CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    GA is clearly the way to go..

Shake up some of these low number douche canoes who just stand there with there nieces and feel entitled...

I loved Germany.. Run for it!! and if you can hang through X, you have a shot at being up close...

First night we tried hard, I only had to punch one person :D but we were never more than four people away from Mike..

Second night we realized (and remembered) we were just to old for that shit.. so we hung back.. way back.. maybe 15 or 20 rows from Mike.. way better.. and we had a much better show...

But at least GA gave us the option..
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

I will man-up and say that as someone with a 72xxx member number, I want them to keep things status quo. I am glad they found a middle ground with the lottery.

Well put and honest. :clap: Nothing wrong with pure honesty. I'm 64xxx so why the fuck would I not want GA shows? The exact reason why people with high numbers want them...but I'm the asshole for actually saying it.
    You're both assholes. Unless your # gets you within single digit rows from the stage at MSG, in which case I love you and please take me to the next MSG show :mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Options
    btw..what if you DONT score tix from 10c?????or 10c cant get fan club tix for a venue???
    lets forget seniority is the issue...and your low/high number isnt count.....

then what.....??

simple..if the venue is seated..you will buy as MANY tix need for be with all your friends..

2,then buy 2..5 then buy 5..simple..but no choice..where the seats are..or must be lucky to score close seats..

simple.again..GA..you choose where u will be at the show,and with who...

is the most important to enjoy your self with the things and people YOU choose..not what others choose for you..

and ofourse there are people dont have friends so,they dont care for anyone than themselfs..
    i can understand that..
  • Options
    Suziemay wrote:
    And I disagree with your original post. Yes, it's about getting closest to the stage but it's also about being with your friends and making new ones. With seated shows, you show up in time for the show and you sit with your 10c ticket buddy. Sometimes you know this person, sometimes you don't. But because you show up just to make it into the show, you wouldn't have bonded with this person if you didn't know them. If you've waited in line all day to get up close for GA, even if you weren't friends before, you end up being friends with people around you. I met some awesome people in Europe that I would never have met if I had seated tickets.

That's on you then with all respect. I've met several wonderful people through the years at shows. A hell of a lot more at reserved shows then when PJ was doing GA shows in the US. And yes I've been to five GA shows here.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    btw..what if you DONT score tix from 10c?????or 10c cant get fan club tix for a venue???
    lets forget seniority is the issue...and your low/high number isnt count.....

then what.....??

simple..if the venue is seated..you will buy as MANY tix need for be with all your friends..

2,then buy 2..5 then buy 5..simple..but no choice..where the seats are..or must be lucky to score close seats..

simple.again..GA..you choose where u will be at the show,and with who...

is the most important to enjoy your self with the things and people YOU choose..not what others choose for you..

and ofourse there are people dont have friends so,they dont care for anyone than themselfs..
    i can understand that..

Then it's up to you to decide. Do you sit back further so you can sit with all of your friends, or do you perhaps find seats closer where you can't. SOrry, sometimes you just can't have everything. I guess you can always make new friends with the people you're sitting around. BTW...it's quite the assumption you have made that people who prefer reserved seat shows versus general admission must not have friends. Quite the assumption I must say my friend.
    Post edited by DS1119 on
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    Suziemay wrote:

That's on you then with all respect. I've met several wonderful people through the years at shows. A hell of a lot more at reserved shows then when PJ was doing GA shows in the US. And yes I've been to five GA shows here.
    I don't think you understand what I'm saying. I'm not saying you can't meet awesome people with seated tickets. I've made some good friends that way. However, the people I met standing in line for GA are people I would not have met with seats because they would have been scattered all over the venue in pairs and I would not have chanced upon them. For example, you and I would never happen to be in the same vicinity with seats because your number is far better than mine. It's highly possible we might meet at a preparty or post party but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the bonding and friendships that a GA situation precipitates that doesn't exist with seats.
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    SolarWorld wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

So the brutal truth offends you. I cut right to the shit. Sorry about that.

Nothing offends me buddy... just dont understand why you think you can call people out the way you did. Looking at your post count I see you dont have anything better to do, so ill let you back at it. Keep insulting people...
  • Options
    SolarWorld wrote:
    Nothing offends me buddy... just dont understand why you think you can call people out the way you did. Looking at your post count I see you dont have anything better to do, so ill let you back at it. Keep insulting people...

I didn't call anyone out buddy. And this post pretty much sums you up. When all else fails...try insulting someone. Pretty comical actually. :lol:
  • Options
    Suziemay wrote:
    I don't think you understand what I'm saying. I'm not saying you can't meet awesome people with seated tickets. I've made some good friends that way. However, the people I met standing in line for GA are people I would not have met with seats because they would have been scattered all over the venue in pairs and I would not have chanced upon them. For example, you and I would never happen to be in the same vicinity with seats because your number is far better than mine. It's highly possible we might meet at a preparty or post party but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the bonding and friendships that a GA situation precipitates that doesn't exist with seats.

And that's your opinion and I truly respect it. For me I would have never met some of the awesome people I have at pre parties that I have drinking beers and listening to PJ blare over the speakers rather than wasting my time standing in line. It's all perspective.