no women in IKEA catalogue in saudi arabia

catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
edited October 2012 in A Moving Train
food for thought.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/854155 ... -catalogue

Women shelved in Ikea's Saudi catalogue

Swedish furniture giant Ikea has landed itself in hot water in its home country after women and girls were airbrushed out of some of the pictures in its Saudi Arabian catalogue.

A local version of Ikea's yearly catalogue, published on its Saudi website, shows images that are identical to those in other editions save for one detail: the women are gone.

"We are looking into the issue and holding a dialogue with our Saudi franchise holder," said Ulrika Englesson Sandman, a spokeswoman for Inter IKEA Systems, which owns the Ikea trademark and concept.

When entering a new market the company always takes into account the ability to balance local culture and legislation with its own values, she added.

The removal of women from the pages of the Saudi edition, including a young girl who was pictured studying at her desk, has prompted a strong response from Swedes, who pride themselves on egalitarian policies and a narrow gender gap.

"You can't remove or airbrush women out of reality. If Saudi Arabia does not allow women to be seen or heard, or to work, they are letting half their intellectual capital go to waste," Trade Minister Ewa Bjoerling said in a statement.

Her sentiment was echoed by Swedish European Union Minister Birgitta Ohlsson, who branded the incident "medieval" on social networking site Twitter.

Saudi Arabia applies strict rules of gender segregation, banning women from driving and requiring them to have permission from a male guardian before travelling or receiving medical care.

Ikea's Saudi franchise partner currently operates three stores in the country, where it has seen 'double digit' yearly growth over the past five years, according to its website
hear my name
take a good look
this could be the day
hold my hand
lie beside me
i just need to say
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Thankful I live in Australia, then again women aren't treated as equal here either, better than the way they are treated in other countries however. Go Storm!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Food for thought indeed - although no meatballs and that lovely lingonberry sauce for them, I suppose?

I have to say my stomach turned at this - "Saudi Arabia applies strict rules of gender segregation, banning women from driving and requiring them to have permission from a male guardian before travelling or receiving medical care."

It never ceases to amaze me that there is such disrespect - contempt, even - for HALF OF THE POPULATION there. Mothers, daughters, sisters, etc...another class? A lower class? But good enough to cook for you, breed with you, raise your children, and on.

It's almost like the airbrushing is a digital version of the burka.

Sad.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    it's like a form of brainwashing in a way
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    I cannot judge other cultures and their rich history.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Jason P wrote:
    I cannot judge other cultures and their rich history of oppressing women.

i fixed it for you. ;)8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    Well, can't say I blame them. I know how hard their furniture is to put together, let alone a woman. :?
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
    Loulou wrote:
    Well, can't say I blame them. I know how hard their furniture is to put together, let alone a woman. :?

it was easier when all you needed was an allen key. now i need 2 different types of screwdrivers for my billys... who knew there were 2 different types of screwdriver. ;):lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Loulou wrote:

it was easier when all you needed was an allen key. now i need 2 different types of screwdrivers for my billys... who knew there were 2 different types of screwdriver. ;):lol:
    There's 2??? :? :shock: :lol::lol::lol:
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Loulou wrote:
    Loulou wrote:

http://www.ehow.com/about_5379973_type- ... ivers.html :P
    Holy shit! :shock: :o there's 7? No wonder I got someone else to finish off my woodwork in high school! :lol:

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    8-)
    hedonist wrote:
    Loulou wrote:
    http://www.ehow.com/about_5379973_type- ... ivers.html :P

i just feel so much more smarter now. :mrgreen:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    :lol::lol::lol:
    Admit it Cate, your gonna build yourself a cabinet now aren't you?

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Loulou wrote:

actually im going to the beach in about an hour so cabinetry will have to wait for when i could be bothered... which knowing me will be around the time alan jones stops being bitchy. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Loulou wrote:

actually im going to the beach in about an hour so cabinetry will have to wait for when i could be bothered... which knowing me will be around the time alan jones stops being bitchy. 8-)
    :lol::lol::lol: he has been a little naughty hey? SNAP! I'm taking my little one down there when she wakes up. Have fun! :D

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Loulou wrote:
    Loulou wrote:

:lol::lol::lol: he has been a little naughty hey? SNAP! I'm taking my little one down there when she wakes up. Have fun! :D

well i havent actually decided which beach yet.. we have so many here. ;) :P 8-) alls i know is it wont be bondi.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Ours are nice but completely deserted half the time. :?

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Loulou wrote:

well thats cause nobody lives in sth australia. ;) :P
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Loulou wrote:

Or it's actually body dumping ground! :lol::lol: don't you worry I'm working on getting the hell out of here next year. ;):D

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Loulou wrote:
    Loulou wrote:

Or it's actually body dumping ground! :lol::lol: don't you worry I'm working on getting the hell out of here next year. ;):D

well yes theres that too. just be weary of 44 gallon drums that seem to be just nonchalantly sitting around.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    LOL!!!! :lol::lol:

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Jason P wrote:

I guess I can see how some women get militant about women's rights. Even in the Western culture where things are finally getting close, most the progress has been made in the last 100 years.

It's too bad the only religion isn't Buddhism. Their fanatics just wear robes in the mountains and make yak butter.
    Jason P wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

I guess I can see how some women get militant about women's rights. Even in the Western culture where things are finally getting close, most the progress has been made in the last 100 years.

It's too bad the only religion isn't Buddhism. Their fanatics just wear robes in the mountains and make yak butter.
    Mmmmmmmm yak butter.....

sv1ctdjpg.gif

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Jason P wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

imagine if due to some perverse tear in the time-space continuum you and our family found themselves growing up in saudi arabia as saudis, would you be cool with the way your daughter/mother/sister/aunt/grandmother/wife was treated???

buddism is more a philosophy than a religion. we are all able to attain buddhahood.. with religion we cant become gods.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    imagine if due to some perverse tear in the time-space continuum you and our family found themselves growing up in saudi arabia as saudis, would you be cool with the way your daughter/mother/sister/aunt/grandmother/wife was treated???
    If I was indoctrinated into that way of thinking from the onset of birth and there was no other voice of reason (because voices of reason are hauled off and never seen again by a religious police squad), unfortunately I would probably be cool with it.

It's tough to see outside a religious mold in the US even with so much freedom to explore other train of thoughts. Just think if you have no freedom and you could be killed / murdered for even questioning or defying traditions.

The only way it could ever possibly change is if the Royal family makes it so. Which I don't see happening. And women in that region are just screwed for generations to come (UNLESS THE GLOBAL SOCIETY TELLS THESE A-HOLES TO KNOCK IT OFF!)

(which they won't because then people will be dying in global riots and setting off nail bombs in crowded markets)
    Jason P wrote:
    If I was indoctrinated into that way of thinking from the onset of birth and there was no other voice of reason (because voices of reason are hauled off and never seen again by a religious police squad), unfortunately I would probably be cool with it.

It's tough to see outside a religious mold in the US even with so much freedom to explore other train of thoughts. Just think if you have no freedom and you could be killed / murdered for even questioning or defying traditions.

The only way it could ever possibly change is if the Royal family makes it so. Which I don't see happening. And women in that region are just screwed for generations to come (UNLESS THE GLOBAL SOCIETY TELLS THESE A-HOLES TO KNOCK IT OFF!)

(which they won't because then people will be dying in global riots and setting off nail bombs in crowded markets)

having no freedom to express myself is so much of a foreign concept to me that i cant even fathom it. growing up australian ive had a very healthy distrust of authority bred into me. and for me not to be able to take advantage of that would be soul crushing. to not be bale to do certain things just because i dont have a penis... i cant help but think thats more than just a little bullshit. living in a religious state is bad enough but for it to also be one where the monarchy holds such sway... well thats just a double slap in the face.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say