Options

WTF is Ed's problem???

iwasthereiwasthere Posts: 511
edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Just got back from Philly, so don't mind me if has already been discussed.

I've been to 2 shows this tour now where Ed has got pissy and showed it on stage. last night, throwing shit and even leaving the stage early. In Detroit, walking to the back of the stage with his face in his hands and half assed singing, I'm barely alive.

Does anyone know what the problem was at either one of these shows?. In Detroit, it looked like he was just a little trashed, and upset about his mic chord getting caught on stuff. Then last night, the problem looked to be in the crowd, as he did throw a towel at someone, just before he left the stage.

Anyone?
tacos
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Spark123321Spark123321 Posts: 39
    Detroit? i dont know. As for Camden 2, read the other posts on the topic.
  • Options
    It's Stone's fault.
  • Options
    jam_headjam_head Posts: 125
    yah damn crappy fans who do they think they are jumping around having a good time...losers
    dude i was there last night and if u looked around the place was rockin.
    7/1/03- DC, 7/12/03- Hershey, 9/28/04- Boston, 10/1/04- Reading, 10/3/05- Philly, 5/27/06- Camden I, 5/28/06- Camden II, 5/30/06- DC, *7/22/06- Gorge I, 7/23/06- Gorge II*, 6/20/08- Camden II, 6/22/08- DC, *6/24/08- MSG I, 6/25/08- MSG II*
  • Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    iwasthere wrote:
    JIn Detroit, it looked like he was just a little trashed, and upset about his mic chord getting caught on stuff.

Anyone?

We were on Stone's side for Detroit show and I did see Eddie covering his face with his hands - wasn't too happy about something. He even sat down at one point, as if to mumble or cursing at himself. For a second there, I was thinking to myself, "uh oh" and then went back in my mode 'cuz I didn't want to go into HIS mode. I'm a visualization person, so what I see really affects me.

But I didn't pay too much attention, I was enjoying 'Alive' myself.

Didn't even pay attention to the crowd, either - but Bobby, my husband, did notice. He thought it was really lame. He enjoyed the Cleveland's crowd much better. And Grand Rapid as well. :)

Perhaps it was frustration of not getting much out of the crowd as he expected to - but as for me, I'd have to say I was really enjoying the show - whether he knows it or not. :)

I was just in my little world and found out a lot more details afterwards.

I wouldn't sweat it too much - just let him deal with it himself. He always manages to kick ass, doesn't he?

;)
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I think hes just trying to add emotion to the show. Doing whatever he can to tap that extra passion.. sort of like when your trying to bench heavy waits and you have your friends calling you names to get riled up.. He was overall in a good mood at the Chicago shows, but I do remember him getting upset with the mic stand position and eventually slamming it down in rage.
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    It's unkind of you to be upset or criticize him because he might have been feeling emotional!

It's part of his job to pour them out and if he has some of his own to deal with, how can you be so harsh about it? :(
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    iwasthere wrote:
    Just got back from Philly, so don't mind me if has already been discussed.

I've been to 2 shows this tour now where Ed has got pissy and showed it on stage. last night, throwing shit and even leaving the stage early. In Detroit, walking to the back of the stage with his face in his hands and half assed singing, I'm barely alive.

Perhaps you mean 'scared alive' from Unemployable? That is a sad song. He wrote it with feeling. He sings it with feeling. These songs mean things, to him, to us. He's not just a robot repeating words. If you're singing about ideas, people in bad situations, things you really care about, maybe you might feel like covering your face with your hands. Pearl Jam's songs have made me do that at a show when the ideas in the song are overwhelming....
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    no no matt did it

I thought it was Boom's fault
    |9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    I'm sure he'll be fine.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    kerrangkerrang Chile Posts: 434
    Ed hates you!
    Santiago, Chile (November 22, 2005)
    Santiago, Chile (November 23, 2005)
    Santiago, Chile (November 16, 2011)
    Sao Paulo, Brasil (March 31, 2013)
    Santiago, Chile (April 06, 2013)
    Santiago, Chile (November 04, 2015)
    Santiago, Chile (March 13, 2018)
    Santiago, Chile (March 16, 2018)
    Rio de Janeiro, Brasil (March 21, 2018)
  • Options
    romybianromybian Posts: 1,644
    iwasthere wrote:
    WTF is Ed's problem???
    Rumor has it he was born a HUMAN BEING and I've heard they tend to react to feelings in many different ways... But hey, that's just a rumor.
    :rolleyes:
    "The joke in your language won't come out the same" (Tom Petty)
    I'm no dude! Dudette!
  • Options
    GivenToWalkGivenToWalk Posts: 48
    i wish i was the one ed threw something at.
    See you @: Camden I, Camden II & MSG II
  • Options
    kerrangkerrang Chile Posts: 434
    i wish i was the one ed threw something at.

Hey... that line will appear on "Wishlist Part II"
    Santiago, Chile (November 22, 2005)
    Santiago, Chile (November 23, 2005)
    Santiago, Chile (November 16, 2011)
    Sao Paulo, Brasil (March 31, 2013)
    Santiago, Chile (April 06, 2013)
    Santiago, Chile (November 04, 2015)
    Santiago, Chile (March 13, 2018)
    Santiago, Chile (March 16, 2018)
    Rio de Janeiro, Brasil (March 21, 2018)
  • Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    romybian wrote:
    Rumor has it he was born a HUMAN BEING and I've heard they tend to react to feelings in many different ways... But hey, that's just a rumor.
    :rolleyes:

*gasps*

Oh my god... is it true?????

I mean, he's GOD... I...I...

:D

I know...I don't give a rat's ass, either.

But if he needed a hug or something...I'll give him one!

But he's got plenty of people to hug him... soo... :)

The man can handle himself - a whole lot better than us.

If it were me and I see people posting things about me - I'd get personal and go nuts.

Article after article after article... god.
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    romybianromybian Posts: 1,644
    IamMine wrote:
    *gasps*

Oh my god... is it true?????

I mean, he's GOD... I...I...

:D

I know...I don't give a rat's ass, either.

But if he needed a hug or something...I'll give him one!

But he's got plenty of people to hug him... soo... :)

The man can handle himself - a whole lot better than us.

If it were me and I see people posting things about me - I'd get personal and go nuts.

Article after article after article... god.
    lol
    agree
    "The joke in your language won't come out the same" (Tom Petty)
    I'm no dude! Dudette!
  • Options
    DEEPDEEP Posts: 274
    do you go to the show to listen to pearl jam play or do you go to analyze ED? if you had a good time, i think thats all that matters, right?
  • Options
    Sexy2aFaultSexy2aFault Posts: 388
    Apparently Ed does need to chill sometimes..I sometimes wonder if the other PJ members dislike him some of the time... Mike on Single Video Theory said he gets scared of Ed on stage occasionally....Stone pretty much distanced himself from him in SPIN mag. last month and said they, while "friends", were not "palsy-walsy".
  • Options
    kerrang wrote:
    Hey... that line will appear on "Wishlist Part II"

Well you Really did make me laugh, Thank you :D
    Our band is like an old car, and this record is our new engine.

"I wish I was the sound of 50 million hands upraised, you're something else in this town!"
  • Options
    Sexy2aFaultSexy2aFault Posts: 388
    Could be lead singer syndrome too...

I remember thinking Dave Grohl was this extremely laid back cool individual too ,until I seen snap at his guitar player... He was not playing the right riff or not playing it to Dave's liking and Dave snapped at him and said "Play the right fucking riff..Jesus" and he glared at him...Poor fella look liked he had his heart ripped out..Felt kinda bad for him.
  • Options
    esealb00esealb00 Posts: 8
    I think hes just trying to add emotion to the show. Doing whatever he can to tap that extra passion.. sort of like when your trying to bench heavy waits and you have your friends calling you names to get riled up.. He was overall in a good mood at the Chicago shows, but I do remember him getting upset with the mic stand position and eventually slamming it down in rage.

I was also at the Chicago shows and I* would say Ed was in a great mood. I don't think rage had anything to do with slamming the mic stand, remember Ed is a entertainer and I remember quite a few people getting a good laugh out of it. But if Ed ever does get mad its because people post STUPID things about him on the net, WTF.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    Apparently Ed does need to chill sometimes..I sometimes wonder if the other PJ members dislike him some of the time... Mike on Single Video Theory said he gets scared of Ed on stage occasionally....Stone pretty much distanced himself from him in SPIN mag. last month and said they, while "friends", were not "palsy-walsy".

I don't think Mike meant ed needs to chill with that remark ... do you remember ed back in the day? A lot of people were scared of him ... it was part of the pearl jam charm. it's not like he was mad at mike, and that's why mike was scared of him.

I think you folks read waaaay too much into waaaay too much.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    There can be any number of reasons Ed got so pissed. He coulda been having a bad day to begin with. Who knows what happened in the afternoon...maybe he had an arguement with someone (won't elaborate cause I'll get banned), maybe he had a few people piss him off throughout the day and it set his mood for the evening.
    That photographer could have been the last straw or something. I'm hearing the black tag was intense and had more than we belong together in it.

My point is this...cut him some slack folks. He is human, and as such is entitled to have a bad day. Let it go.

You all saw a kick ass show regardless right?? THAT is the main thing.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    BangBugBangBug Posts: 34
    ddezso wrote:
    I thought it was Boom's fault

yeah he thought they were booing boom
    Toronto '96
    Barrie '98
    Toronto '00
    Toronto '03
    Hamiltion '05
    Toronto '05
    Toronto 05/09/06
    Toronto 05/10/06
  • Options
    janegosfordjanegosford Posts: 179
    Could be lead singer syndrome too...

I remember thinking Dave Grohl was this extremely laid back cool individual too ,until I seen snap at his guitar player... He was not playing the right riff or not playing it to Dave's liking and Dave snapped at him and said "Play the right fucking riff..Jesus" and he glared at him...Poor fella look liked he had his heart ripped out..Felt kinda bad for him.

I'd be devastated if Dave yelled at me too! I love the man. :D
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    iwasthere wrote:
    In Detroit, walking to the back of the stage with his face in his hands and half assed singing, I'm barely alive.
    He was upset because he could see luvistower and I getting harassed by security for no good reason during "Alive" and missing at least 10 minutes of the show ;)
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    Lol..i was at an Iron Maiden show in Seattle when Bruce Dickenson got really pissed at someone in the crowd. He said he was gonna go to that person's house and take a shit on his porch.

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come...."
  • Options
    Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    I saw him put his head in hands and go sit down on the side of the stage in Detroit. I didn't take it that he was pissed. I thought he was getting drunk.
    I thought Alive kicked ass, so he was just feeling his buzz.
    At the end of the night, the entire band applauded the crowd at least twice.
    Save room for dessert!
  • Options
    swardsward Posts: 586
    Then there is the whole possibility, albeit remote..that people are MISINTERPRETING the whole thing!

Who knows..I wasn't there..but I often read posts where people are surmising the motives or moods of whatever band member, and it is baseless...we have no way of knowing.
  • Options
    Camden II he was upset about something - he was throwing stuff around (some of that is typical) and then after throwing the towel at the camera guy or whoever - he left the stage while the guys finished up...but he came back ou and seemed intense as ever but fine...but again who knows what/why...he is just human...I just enjoy every freakin minute of it...Sunday night's show was awesome....great set list and the crowd where I was (sec 102) was cool. Sat. was another story - I had bad seats (204 back corner) cause I missed out on fan club tix and I was surrounded by so many dorks that were there just to say they went to the show - talking, going in and out, bascially clapping during just one or two TEN songs.... So bad I could hear my self sing...and that is awful....but I had fun - just gets me pissed though...Sunday made up for it 150%....I can't wait for Rutherford...inside staduims seem so much better to me....I wish they would play the freakin spectrum again!!!