Options

Obama's Way

Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
edited September 2012 in A Moving Train
Regardless of how you feel about the President, the recent Michael Lewis article in Vanity Fair is pretty damn outstanding. A pretty candid look into the position and President. Lewis is one of the best non-fiction writers we have.

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/2012 ... rack-obama
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    :lol:
    Wrong-Way-Sign-K-6608.gif
  • Options
    Only makes sense you'd post something nonsensical and contribute nothing. Like I said, regardless of political affiliation, it's a great read. That's definitely too much to ask of some though.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Only makes sense you'd post something nonsensical and contribute nothing. Like I said, regardless of political affiliation, it's a great read. That's definitely too much to ask of some though.

No, it was a painful read. But thanks for posting.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

How so? Wasn't all that political. Was it just because you don't like the guy? It didn't talk positively or negatively about his political success or failure, but I thought, was a good glimpse into how he goes about things and what goes into being president in such a stange time.
  • Options
    whygohomewhygohome Posts: 2,305
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

How so? Wasn't all that political. Was it just because you don't like the guy? It didn't talk positively or negatively about his political success or failure, but I thought, was a good glimpse into how he goes about things and what goes into being president in such a stange time.

It's not worth the effort with these trolls, dude.
    I've been looking forward to this read, and will check it out when I'm in the library.
  • Options
    whygohome wrote:
    It's not worth the effort with these trolls, dude.
    I've been looking forward to this read, and will check it out when I'm in the library.

I hear you. Pointless. Like I said, I thought it was a great article, but I am already a big fan of Lewis. Yeah, I picked up a copy of Vanity Fair, I hate reading articles that long on the computer screen.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    I have my issues with Obama, but I really liked this article..good insight into a day in the life..
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    I have my issues with Obama, but I really liked this article..good insight into a day in the life..

Good stuff, yeah, I thought it was really well done. I also heard a good interview of Lewis on Fresh Air, and he expanded a bit on the coffin on Air Force One and bullet on the balcony stuff. It makes sense, but he was more or less shocked that in basically everything the president does, he is reminded that there are many people that want him dead. No matter what he does, he is reminded of it in some way or another. Lewis was a bit surprised by it. Am sure that takes some getting used to.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,422
    Sounds interesting. I'll check it out.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

And a typical aggressive post. :lol: Are you going to start calling me names now or should I wait until later? :lol:
  • Options
    Long read, but a good one, thanks.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

And a typical aggressive post. :lol: Are you going to start calling me names now or should I wait until later? :lol:

Well, was your post nonsensical? Yes. Did you contribute anything worth while to this thread? No. Did you read the article? I'd put a lot of money on no.

Thanks for playing.
  • Options
    Long read, but a good one, thanks.

Definitely a long read but I thought it was really well done. Glad you enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Very long read. Didn't finish it yet. Pretty good.

I like the part where he picked the basketball teams and divided them up to be fair in his eyes...sounds like what he likes to do with everyone's $!!!! I keed, I keed.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Very long read. Didn't finish it yet. Pretty good.

I like the part where he picked the basketball teams and divided them up to be fair in his eyes...sounds like what he likes to do with everyone's $!!!! I keed, I keed.

Yeah, I had to pick up a hard copy. I couldn't read that whole thing on the computer.

:lol::lol:

With the basketball thing, I also thought it was funny that if you take it easy on him you're not invited back, but if you mess his face up because you are playing too hard (or sloppy), you're also not invited back.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    Cliffy thanks man, that was an awesome read done in two parts for me. That was the first time ever reading anything substantial about the President's daily life. I can remember reading something similiar about GWB and was surprised how he did things behind the scenes, I even had a new appreciation for what these men do taking on the job of being President of this country.

I played ball in HS and 1 year college and i wouldn't have taken it easy even with the watchful eyes of the SS all about. i liked these parts..... :D

As he climbed into the back of a black S.U.V., a worried expression crossed his face. “I forgot my mouth guard,” he said. Your mouth guard? I think. Why would you need a mouth guard?

“Hey, Doc,” he shouted to the van holding the medical staff that travels with him wherever he goes. “You got my mouth guard?” The doc had his mouth guard. Obama relaxed back in his seat and said casually that he didn’t want to get his teeth knocked out this time, “since we’re only 100 days away.” From the election, he meant, then he smiled and showed me which teeth, in some previous basketball game, had been knocked out. “Exactly what kind of game is this?” I asked, and he laughed and told me not to worry.

and this...

“No one seems to be taking it easy on him,” I said.

“If you take it easy on him, you’re not invited back,” he explained.

I thought to myself, It must be hard not to take it easy on the president.

The point guard laughed, turned to another guy on the bench, and said, “Remember Rey?”

“Who’s Rey?” I asked.

“Rey pump-faked, turned, and just connected with the president right in the mouth,” the other guy said. “Gave him 16 stitches.”

“Where’s Rey?” I asked.

“Rey hasn’t been back.”

Man if I had the chance to dunk on him I certainly would've...I could ALWAYS make that my claim to fame *I dunked on the President....then have him sign it some time later* :lol:

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under p wrote:
    Cliffy thanks man, that was an awesome read done in two parts for me. That was the first time ever reading anything substantial about the President's daily life. I can remember reading something similiar about GWB and was surprised how he did things behind the scenes, I even had a new appreciation for what these men do taking on the job of being President of this country.

I played ball in HS and 1 year college and i wouldn't have taken it easy even with the watchful eyes of the SS all about. i liked these parts..... :D

As he climbed into the back of a black S.U.V., a worried expression crossed his face. “I forgot my mouth guard,” he said. Your mouth guard? I think. Why would you need a mouth guard?

“Hey, Doc,” he shouted to the van holding the medical staff that travels with him wherever he goes. “You got my mouth guard?” The doc had his mouth guard. Obama relaxed back in his seat and said casually that he didn’t want to get his teeth knocked out this time, “since we’re only 100 days away.” From the election, he meant, then he smiled and showed me which teeth, in some previous basketball game, had been knocked out. “Exactly what kind of game is this?” I asked, and he laughed and told me not to worry.

and this...

“No one seems to be taking it easy on him,” I said.

“If you take it easy on him, you’re not invited back,” he explained.

I thought to myself, It must be hard not to take it easy on the president.

The point guard laughed, turned to another guy on the bench, and said, “Remember Rey?”

“Who’s Rey?” I asked.

“Rey pump-faked, turned, and just connected with the president right in the mouth,” the other guy said. “Gave him 16 stitches.”

“Where’s Rey?” I asked.

“Rey hasn’t been back.”

Man if I had the chance to dunk on him I certainly would've...I could ALWAYS make that my claim to fame *I dunked on the President....then have him sign it some time later* :lol:

Peace

Nice, man. Yeah, that is why I really liked the article. It talked a bit about his decision making process but stayed away from the politics for the most part. I really enjoyed reading what goes into one of the most difficult jobs in the world.

I dug all the basketball stuff too.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,422
    Read it last night. So interesting.

It made me feel guilty for not paying any attention to the Libya stuff, although i doubt any action I took would've had any effect. Sometimes you get the idea that the president is really just a figurehead and all the people around him make all the decisions, but the man really has a lot of pressure to get it right.

Also interesting how Barack seemed to gain some sympathy/empathy for GWB since he's been in office.

He worked on that Nobel Prize speech all night. Wow.

Thanks for the link. 8-)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Well, was your post nonsensical? Yes. Did you contribute anything worth while to this thread? No. Did you read the article? I'd put a lot of money on no.

Thanks for playing.

I actually did read it. I still stand by my original post. :lol: