Options

Toronto May 9th Concert Review...what did you think?

zr2paulzr2paul Posts: 10
edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
For those that were there last night (May 9th) at the Tour opener in Toronto...what did you think of the concert?

I thought the show was awesome and I really enjoyed the opening band, My Morning Jacket. MMJ put on a good show and rocked hard! Pearl Jam seemed to have a lot of energy and I'm sure everyone felt it at the show. I wish I was feeling a lot better to enjoy the show more. My fiance and I had great seats (Floors 13th row right side) Thanks 10C!!!

The only problem was the first couple of songs...I noticed the band was having some technical difficulties with the equipment. Looked as though Mike was having troubles with his Guitar Equipment and Eddie couldn't hear his own voice, kept looking over and pointing to his ear. His voice was being over powered by the instruments and was hard to hear him. However, it got fixed and the show Kicked Ass!!!

One of the best things I like about Pearl Jam concerts is the crowd...everyone seems to be so fucking cool. Everyone is there to have a great time. Even the security guard (w/ red jacket) walking up and down the isle on the floor was rocking out to Pearl Jam.

Thank you to Pearl Jam, the Crew, 10C and everyone else involved!!! The Concert Kicked Ass!!!

Paul
Aug 22, 1998 - Barrie, Ontario
Oct 5, 2000 - Toronto, Ontario
June 28, 2003 - Toronto, Ontario
Sept 19, 2005 - Toronto, Ontario
May 9, 2006 - Toronto, Ontario
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    shareshare Posts: 551
    it was a very special show

I've been to a lot and I've never felt the way I felt last night

the love was just flowing between the band and the crowd - it felt like a back yard bbq

the new stuff is unbelievable - the music is just mind blowing, first night kinks and all

although I think we should get Mike a crane so he can get the guitar on

:)

fuck anybody who doesn't have something good to say about it - if that's the case then you just didn't get it

I left there wowed
    we're all sentient snowflakes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm a number that doesn't count
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    the nothing ventured - the nothing feigned
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,690
    Excellent show !!

The new songs are just awesome. Come Back was unbelievable and Inside Job was great as well. Best new song live has got to be Marker In the Sand !!
    I still can't believe how good that was

The re-vamped Garden was a nice suprise as was Why Go.

The band had a ton of energy. It never ceases to amaze me how this band can personalize each and every show every night and give the fans such memorable performances. Pearl Jam live is just such an awe inspiring uplifting event.

It hasn't even hit me yet that I'm acutally going tonight as well !!

Wow !!

Enjoy
  • Options
    I think that was the best show i've ever seen them play.
    The Toronto Sun http://www.canoe.ca has an awesome review! 4.5 out of 5 !
    Josie on Edge 102.1 totally slammed the show bad this morning, saying it
    was so boring and Oasis was way better!! um I think not.
    She wants our personal reviews though, so email her
    some positive reveiws at http://www.edge.ca or call!!
    looking up...wondering if there is anything that you cannot do....
  • Options
    24veddie24veddie Posts: 267
    the show was great.
    lots of energy in the crowd.
  • Options
    MasterFramerMasterFramer Posts: 2,268
    Anyone wanting to contribute stories of last night and tonights concert to my web site, please contact me...

There is also some cool media available for download as well!
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    Did anyone hit up the CCFC/CCFA fundraiser beforehand at the Loose Moose?

If so, how was the crowd?

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    VOLITIONVOLITION Posts: 328
    I think that was the best show i've ever seen them play.
    The Toronto Sun http://www.canoe.ca has an awesome review! 4.5 out of 5 !
    Josie on Edge 102.1 totally slammed the show bad this morning, saying it
    was so boring and Oasis was way better!! um I think not.
    She wants our personal reviews though, so email her
    some positive reveiws at http://www.edge.ca or call!!

Josie is a stupid bitch, she's has got the worst taste in music. I can't believe she said that that was easily one of their best shows in Toronto. I think i'm going to email her

They played last night like they were full swing in the middle of the tour. Freakin fantastic. So much energy and aggression, the crowd was really into it. Singing along to Present Tense. The new songs stood up really well up next to the older ones. THe crowd was very receptive to it.

I thought it was really classy of Mike to turn and play YL to his wife as it was their annivarsary.
    "it feels like it's the end of the world and we all got a good seat. you know -- step right up, get your tickets...here we go."

- EV
  • Options
    VOLITION wrote:
    Josie is a stupid bitch, she's has got the worst taste in music. I can't believe she said that that was easily one of their best shows in Toronto. I think i'm going to email her

They played last night like they were full swing in the middle of the tour. Freakin fantastic. So much energy and aggression, the crowd was really into it. Singing along to Present Tense. The new songs stood up really well up next to the older ones. THe crowd was very receptive to it.

I thought it was really classy of Mike to turn and play YL to his wife as it was their annivarsary.

she basically said that PJ is too old to rock cause they're not in their 20's anymore, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. She's probably just pissed because the Sun gave it such a good review, and gave Oasis and Franz Ferdinand her 2 fav. bands such a shit reviews.
    looking up...wondering if there is anything that you cannot do....
  • Options
    brainofcbrainofc Posts: 60
    BeerBaron wrote:
    Overall I think the show was great. I was a little disappointed with the overall length of the show and I also didn't like the song selection in the encores at all.

Overall, it was much better than the 2005 Toronto show but it was far from being a "special" show (like Buffalo 2003 or London & Ottawa 2005).

Couldnt agree more.

Great show, but nothing 'special'.
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,690
    Apparently... Josie Dye stole an Edge Credit Card last night and spent the entire night passed out in a Vodka indused stupor at the Hard Rock Cafe. The truth is; she never actually made it to the show last night. Obviously while lying in a puddle of her own piss and vomitt, "Wonderwall" was playing on the radio at the bar.

The show was kick ass !! anyone with a pair of ears and eyes was witness to Pearl Jam's mastery of Kick ass Rock'n'Roll

Josie Dye is a third rate DJ and a idiot blonde waterhead. It's a shame that opinions are wasted on such useless trash.

Hopefully Josie Dye will stay off the fucking hootch this evening and actually join us at the show.

Later
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Posts: 2
    Pearl Jam were rocking and it WAS a TREMENDOUS show. I had heard that My Morning Jacket were OK before I saw the show, but I couldn't wait for them to finish. Nothing special there at all. I think Pearl Jam could do much better for an opening band. I only wish Sonic Youth were with them for the entire tour and not just the western dates. It's always memorable to see these guys live.
  • Options
    Green Di$ea$eGreen Di$ea$e Posts: 158
    Thanks Rob,

Everyone has their own opinionJ

That’s what makes music fantastic.

_____

Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 12:37 PM
    To: Josie Dye

Subject: pearl jam review

Josie,

I didn't personally hear your review of last night's show but it is being reported that you called the show boring? I think there must have been some kind of mistake as that show was electrifying, the crowd was into it from the first note.* I have been to quite a few shows and nothing can compare to the energy of a pearl jam show.* I know that very talented Dean Blundell does a blind movie reviewer which is quite funny, perhaps what you said was a new skit..."deaf concert reviewer" or something anyway if you were joking or serious, not funny as Pearl Jam is the best live show out there right now (see toronto sun review today) 4.5/5 stars, and they own shit bands like Franz Ferniand/Oasis.* Anyway if you have a seat to the show tonight give it to someone who isn't deaf. Peace
  • Options
    the show was awesome. the sound and lights were great. i especially liked those cool laser type lights :)

heard lots of new songs, which is what it is ALL about. i'm glad they didn't forget to play corduroy, though! it was perfect to open the show with 4 new songs and those tunes did not disappoint. this album is filled with great songs.

the surprises for me were garden, inside job

the songs i most loved were ALL the new songs but especially unemployable deserves mention cause it came off amazing live. i knew severed hand and marker and life wasted would be killer but i was floored by how good unemployable was. blew my mind...scared alive...indeed...wow...if he can't sleep, how will he ever dream...wow......

i still love that new porch intro and another shout out has to go to sad

the 10c ticket pick up was a breeze. the floor security were being anal about being a 1/2" over the taped line on the floor. we had friends all around. everyone was smiling. the lower bowl looked like they were on their feet all of the night but i did see some "sitters" up in the upper level, but when the house lights went up for the last 2 songs everyone in the building was standing and roaring.

it will be nice to do it all over again tonight. i'm hoping for big wave and gone but mostly i really want to hear army reserve. after that i hope they get boom's mix figured out cause if crazy mary comes down tonight he must be turned up!

kudos to mike and stoney for giving gifts. mike was tossing picks back to as far as the 10th row!

i'm probably forgetting some things i wanted to say here but...

oh ya...i saw the poster, had a chance to buy one, and didn't like/buy it../ oh well that's art for ya ;)