Options

Best North American '06 Boot!?!?!

Comments

• Options
    mpg82mpg82 Posts: 83
    Unless you were at the show, noone gives a shit about how loud the crowd was. US crowds are weak anyway. The European crowds will put us to shame.

Best bootleg? Los Angeles 7/9
    6/26/98, 6/27/98, 06/13/99, 10/08/00, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/29/06, 6/30/06, 5/7/10
  • Options
    no doubt about it. Gorge1 is plain sick and SF3 has the best setlist (in terms of rare songs being played) and sound out of all other boots. There are other good shows but this post is for the best and its these two.

Rating in terms of sound quality, setlist, level of band performance (which is probably distorted by some of earlier boots)
  • Options
    warrenfsewarrenfse Posts: 74
    boroff89 wrote:
    Yes, I understand this, but the fanviews can often reveal the magnitude of a show. When you see people saying they have been to 30+ Pearl Jam shows and SF3 ranks in the top 2-3, that says something. I have seen Pearl Jam 13 times. I freely admit the Shoreline show here in 2003, which I attended, was not very good. Same for the Fresno show in 2000. I wouldn't recommend those boots to others (aside from Crazy Mary at Shoreline). I rank all three of the recent SF shows above the other boots I have heard from this tour(including the boots from the other three shows I attended) because the crowd energy, band energy, and band performance were all at levels I have never otherwise heard/witnessed. The boots do a great job of capturing those things. Because it was such an intimate venue, the crowd noise is really captured well on these boots. I felt that all of the songs (particularly Inside Job and Marker in the Sand) were much tighter in San Fran than earlier on in the tour. I could go on about particular songs that sound especially good on these boots if needed.

I was at all the SF shows, and I don't get the love for that 3rd show. That encore was junk, other then All Along the Watchtower. Nothing but staples. The main set was the best of the 3, but for overall set and crowd reaction, I thought the 1st night was the best. They mailed in the encore. Pearl Jam by numbers. . . Junk

In terms of the bootlegs that I've listened to:

1) San Diego
    2) Grand Rapids
    3) Camden 2
    4) Boston 2
    5) Santa Barbara

I need to get the Gorge and LA shows.
  • Options
    cant go wrong with SF 1 and 2, Santa Barbara, LA 1 (sound quality isnt perfect and tim robbins messed up a good song), San diego or from the looks of it Gorge 2 either. SF, SB and Gorge 1 have better sound quality then the others.
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    I'm really interested in SF3 - lots of No Code, Last Exit, All Along the Watchtower, etc.

Can anyone who has downloaded it comment on the boot quality?
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    Nakedeye66Nakedeye66 Posts: 94
    Those of you inquiring about a more thorough commentary, check out my reviews of the early shows on this Red Mosquito thread.

http://www.theskyiscrape.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=44100

Once I digest some of the more recent shows I'll give an obnoxiously long synopsis of all of them. Although I have praised SF3, I've only begun to listen to the other post-LA shows and so my commentary may have been premature. And no matter what I say, it's just one's mans opinion for you to take it or leave it. But admittedly I'm a sick fan who listens to all of them repeatedly, so it isn't just going by setlist, the show(s) I was at, or repeating what I read from others. (I'm an old fan, but new to posting ... and randomly split between here and Red Mosquito)
  • Options
    Hands down, Grand Rapids (of all places)! Best Boot I've listened to from the U.S. Tour.
  • Options
    I Am GoneI Am Gone Posts: 831
    The Gorge - every song is performed better than ever before - regulars like WWS blew me away, songs with dodgy tendencies like Unemployable were phenomonal and, well... Dirty Frank!
    REMEMBER KIDS....

The Bible is full of lies - Stone is the leader of us all!
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    Grand Rapids was very cool.... But after just coming back from the Gorge night 1 was superior to GR. It had everything even ed standing on the roof top for Last Kiss, Crown of Thorns and Mike, Jeff, Matt and Stone doing Little Wing (ed joins in on night 2).
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    From the boots I've heard:

1. SF 1
    2. Grand Rapids
    3. San Diego

I just downloaded Gorge 1 and haven't listened to it yet.
  • Options
    LongRhodeLongRhode Posts: 93
    These are always tricky because 'best shows' mean different things to different people. Some want crowd noise, some want rare tunes, some want odd setlist orders (unusual openings etc).

I will leave out Boston1 or Albany because i was there.

Boots I find myself listening to the most?
    Cinci
    San Diego
    Grand Rapids
    Toronto 2

Downloading Gorge 1 now...
    1991 - Warwick RI
    1994 - Boston Garden 1
    2003 - Mansfield 1
    2004 - Boston 1 & 2
    2006 - Albany, Boston 1, Dublin Ireland
    2008 - Mansfield 1 & 2, EV Boston 1
  • Options
    Mamasan BrenMamasan Bren Posts: 959
    Until I hear some of the Left Coast shows....I'd pick either Cleveland or Pittsburgh after hearing almost all of the 06 boots thru Cincy.

I'm sure most won't agree but....

I agree, Ed's mood and friendliness in Cleveland was cool. Of all, I'd say Cleveland too!!
    1/95 DC 7/95 Chicago Tor Tol Cha 96 AlpV I II Chi St L KC 98 BSB I II 99 Phx Vegas Fresno SBern 00 BSB I II 01 (met ed) Vegas Phx Fargo St. Paul Chicago Alpine V Indy Col Virg Phi I II MSG I II (got on DVD!) 03 Calg 05 Clev Vegas LA I II SBar 06 Lon Dus Cop Nij Bel 07 Phi I II DC MSG I II Har BOS I II 08, LA3/4, SD '09, MSG I II '10, Missoula, London ONT, Wrigley, SD, LA1/2, Portland. Wrigley '16 I and II. 
  • Options
    Mamasan BrenMamasan Bren Posts: 959
    Nakedeye66 wrote:
    Glad to see Cleveland get some love. Best shows of first leg were Cleveland, Camden 2, Detroit, and Albany. Grand Rapids is overrated. the first encore of Grand Rapids (all slow songs) very well may be the highlight of the leg, but the entire show does not live up to that segment, to the shows listed above, or to Chicago 1 ... the most underrated of the leg.

As for the second leg, the short pre-Petty shows slowed the band down a bit. They are all good, but not up to typical PJ full-show standards. the good news was that they came out of that stretch ON FIRE. Las Vegas, San Diego, Santa Barbara, SF3 are superb.

I'm still trying to get multiple listens on the recent shows, but here are my early rankings after hearing all shows except the last 2 (Gorge).

1. San Francisco 3
    2. Las Vegas
    3. Cleveland
    4. Camden 2
    5. Detroit
    6. San Diego
    7. Albany
    8. Chicago 1
    9. Grand Rapids
    10. Santa Barbara

Sometime before Europe starts I'll have commentary on every show to justify these choices.

Again, I must agree, Cleveland was just really really great, get the flac version and you'll see why!
    1/95 DC 7/95 Chicago Tor Tol Cha 96 AlpV I II Chi St L KC 98 BSB I II 99 Phx Vegas Fresno SBern 00 BSB I II 01 (met ed) Vegas Phx Fargo St. Paul Chicago Alpine V Indy Col Virg Phi I II MSG I II (got on DVD!) 03 Calg 05 Clev Vegas LA I II SBar 06 Lon Dus Cop Nij Bel 07 Phi I II DC MSG I II Har BOS I II 08, LA3/4, SD '09, MSG I II '10, Missoula, London ONT, Wrigley, SD, LA1/2, Portland. Wrigley '16 I and II. 
  • Options
    Gorge 1 - trust me..
    |9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran
  • Options
    Sexy2aFaultSexy2aFault Posts: 388
    Nakedeye66 wrote:
    GR is overrated, for many of the same reasons State College '03 is a bit overrated. Both shows get props for being so long, and having some unexpected setlist treats. Both of these absolutely are good reasons to highly rate a show. GR I believe is the longest of the tour and it is a VERY GOOD SHOW. I just don't agree it is among the very best. By pure setlist alone, I was drooling to buy this boot, and wonder if many of the people touting it are doing so based simply on the setlist and not listening.

The Grand Rapids FIRST ENCORE maybe IS the best part of the whole tour. But insofar as rating the entire show ... there are a handful of better ones.

Okey-doke.... If not those things that you mentioned (Long show,set-list) and as far as the boots from the tour go..how do you seperate Severed Hand from Albnay from Severed Hand from Cinci? Crowd energy? Band Energy? What makes a show over-rated...Was GR lacking in these areas? No, most people when showing GR love first notice the energy of the group... In fact it was exceptionally high. The crowd on the boot during Matt's drums on "Why Go"...circa 93 with the "Hey Hey Hey Hey".. Was State College? No, not really...Some people like to be in the minority and they let that skew their judgement. There is a reason why State College is highly rated by listeners, because it blows Uniondale away..

I thinks you thinks it is overrated for the simple fact that every one loves these shows and you wish to be different.. Yes Yes?

Also shout out to LAII, Unbelievably fast performance. State of- and Better Man are amazing. San Diego for atmoshphere, and Albany for great sound.
  • Options
    OneLoveOneLove Posts: 563
    Great input...lots of ideas on what to get first.

For those who us who enjoy a good Ed rant/speech, what boot would you reccomend? Strange question, I know, but I have a lot of the older boots, and find myself listening to some just to enjoy the Ed-isms along the way :)

Thanks for any input
  • Options
    Chicago I and II are awesome, and San Diego is killer. I haven't listened to the Gorge yet.
    I'll swallow poison, until I grow immune
    I will scream my lungs out till it fills this room...

New Orleans 08/14/2000, 04/08/2003
    Chicago 05/16/2006, 05/17/2006
    San Diego 07/07/2006
  • Options
    kwalkersvkwalkersv Posts: 7
    Best show best boot SAN DIEGO. 2nd place goes to Gorge 1st night!
    Surfitkj
    "Can't you see
    The oceans size?
    Defining time
    And time
    Arising
    Arms laid upon me
    Being so kind
    To let me ride"
  • Options
    StrykerStryker Upstate, NY Posts: 585
    East Coast - Boston II
    West Coast - Gorge I
  • Options
    nukeboot wrote:
    I'm really interested in SF3 - lots of No Code, Last Exit, All Along the Watchtower, etc.

Can anyone who has downloaded it comment on the boot quality?

Anyone?
  • Options
    boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    nukeboot wrote:
    Anyone?

The boot quality is outstanding. It's an A+.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Options
    boroff89 wrote:
    The boot quality is outstanding. It's an A+.

No whistlers or screamers?

:D
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    I got the shows I went to (Vegas; SD; Portland: Gorge 1 & 2).

SD and Gorge 1 are the best of the bunch.

I also got the Grand Rapids boot based on the recommendations, and it lived up to my expectations. Very good show!

I also plan on getting SF3, but have yet to hear it yet.
  • Options
    boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    nukeboot wrote:
    No whistlers or screamers?

:D

No whistlers or screamers. Haha.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Options
    boroff89 wrote:
    No whistlers or screamers. Haha.

Thanks much for the rating/info.

Time to download!
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I'd have to agree that Grand Rapids is overrated. Don't get me wrong, it was a good show, but there are others that eclipse it. Here's my top 5:

1. Gorge 1
    2. SF 2
    3. DC
    4. San Diego
    5. Boston 2

Honorable Mentions: Vegas, Detroit (very underrated show), Cleveland (another underrated one), and any show from the South (oh wait, they never played the South).
  • Options
    I just listened to both boots back-to-back. First Grand Rapids and then Gorge I. I repeated this then in reverse order after waiting two hours to clear my head after a bike ride. My favorite is still Grand Rapids. Try this exact process and see what you think.
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    No politics in SF III (preaching to choir) -- here's transcription of what ed said: http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=207904

I think during evenflow drumsolo the bass drum is a bit hot which might be there throughout but is hard to tell. World Wide Suicide is a bit muddled. Weakest of the show.

Tower is sick, sick, sick with Lee Renaldo (Sonic Youth) feedin it back.
    Crazy Boom Mary -- and Ledbetter, ed does a little Dylan impression during first verse.

When European Boots first came out, Rolling Stone did a review of them all, by overall performance, quality, ambiance and then one song - Evenflow. They're top 5 choices were all good and I still listen to Hamburg and Dublin i think? Anyways -- they had a nice system to rate the boots.

I think Camden II makes a nice compliment (set list) to SF III.
    (Oooh, Boston II might be better choice with Army, Marker and Parachutes, might be only time those 3 got together....)

I don't think you can hold Santa Barbara and Gorge up to over all comparisons, just special ones that yer gonna want anywho.
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    kalikatkalikat Posts: 68
    warrenfse wrote:
    I was at all the SF shows, and I don't get the love for that 3rd show. That encore was junk, other then All Along the Watchtower. Nothing but staples. The main set was the best of the 3, but for overall set and crowd reaction, I thought the 1st night was the best.

I agree - I was at SF 1 and 3 (why oh why didn't I go to 2???).
    Anyway, the shows were pretty close, in terms of song selection - except for the exceptions - and I thought 1 was way better. Eddie was more "on", the energy was way bigger , except for Crazy Mary. RITFW and AATW were similar in energy in my book. Being there in person for the skimboarding was great, but thats not going to show up on a bootleg.
    **There is a sickness, a sickness coming over me - like watching freedom, being sucked straight out to sea**
  • Options
    kvanhimbkvanhimb Posts: 14
    there should have been a stipulation that you can't vote for a show you've attended...obviously there's bias.