Options

Ed's Long Road speech in San Diego

AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,205
edited November 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
"Well... I tell ya, we played a uh, we played a show last night and uh... we're a hard woking band, we play a show just about every night, but um... but it was in Las Vegas and, and there was some health issues... It was the worst fucking gig and, I just hated that gig. This is just great. Thanks so much for...

*crowd cheers*

...and the crowd was good last night, but uh... it was just a tough one, so uh, to get your encouragement to come out and, uh, get our uh, get all four wheels back on the road, we appreciate it greatly. Couldn't have done it without you. Or Sonic Youth.

And uh, and I also... you know last night, what I'd like to do is, is tell you a little story if I can. Uh... it might go on for a couple minutes, so if you're comfortable, or uh, go to the restroom, or, just make out with your girl, whatever you want to do... but uh, it'd be great to, to, to talk to you for a second uh, uh about something I went through and share it with you in regards to the music that we're playing uh, and uh, our presence here tonight. But, uh... it has to do with, with uh, with education, and, and in particular an educator. And, um...

Think about your lives, will ya? And uh, and if you have one teacher that really meant something in your life, and it changed your life, raise your hand. Let me see. Keely, let's see the lights.

*THOUSANDS of people in the crowd raise their hands*

So... not that I was expecting that, that's actually a higher percentage than to be expected but, really, if you see that around ya, you think of all the billions of dollars that's spent on other efforts and, and you think that, uh, education should probably be first off to create a better, more intelligent, loving, caring..... especially here in the U.S. where, where we have the opportunity to lead, and uh, and if we can do it with an artistic and intelligent sensibility you could only imagine the way things would be different. And environmentally, uh, thoughtful as well.

So, anyways, I just want to tell you a story about, uh, my experience if I may. And uh, I had, I had *a* teacher, who, uh, who got me through some things and, and taught me so much, and, and uh, a lot of us were touched by him, and uh, and, and it was a heart touch *places his fist on his heart*... it, uh, he's still with us today. And, um, and through a campaign of letter writing and, uh, there was a, uh, a small campaign that, that came together and, and we are getting now, a theater in Encinitas, in North County, named after my teacher.

*crowd cheers*

So there's gonna be a theater in North County, up in Encinitas, called the Clayton E. Ligget Theater. And uh, and some of the money from tonights, uh, tonights, uh, tickets go to that. And we're really proud of it and thank you for participating, and making me proud.

Now, uh, my friend and, uh, and mentor, Clayton, he's, he's no longer with us but he still lives inside of all those that he touched. Uh, and, and I just wanted to, 'cause I, I remember when I got the call that he had, he had passed. And uh, we were actually in the studio with Neil Young. We were recording a record called Mirrorball, and uh... We were in the back room, we were, we were having dinner, I think it was Japanese food. And um, and it was Neil and the guys and we got this phone call and, and as soon as I heard who it was I, I knew what it was. And, uh, after I heard the news, even though it was Neil, and the guys, I, I um, I just had to leave the room. And, and I left the room and I went into the studio, this empty studio and, uh, I picked up a guitar, uh, I think I was looking for someone else to talk to, outside of the conversation, but there was no one, but this guitar. So I, I picked it up and I hit a chord

*hits the first chord of Long Road*

and I

*chord*

I hit the chord again.

*chord*

*chord*

And I think I was trying to, like, ring a bell, right?

*chord*

I was trying to ring a bell, to, to say that, uh

*chord*

*Matt comes in*

we lost one of the good ones.

*chord*

This is an important moment, in history, we *chord* lost one of the good ones.

*chord*

So I kept hittin' the bell.

*chord*

For, like, eight minutes. Ten minutes.

*chord*

Then the other guys, and Neil, they came into the room.

*chord*

Without saying anything or anything.

*chord*

They just picked up their instruments.

*chord*

And started hittin' the bell with me.

*chord*

We were all recognizing

*chord*

We were all ringing a bell.

*chord*

And I went up to the mic and then this song happened, yeah?

*chord*

*chord*

So this night is for Clayton and this song is for Clayton. Thanks for listening.

*chord*

And I wished for so long...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I just transcribed it for the RM board, so I figured I'd post it here. Enjoy!
  • Options
    dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,285
    This boot is still in my car...has been since it came out. Partially because it was a one of the shows I attended and partially because of "Long Road". The band in general and Eddie in particular have so many memorable live moments that are worth hearing again and again for whatever the reason that they move you.

This one is particulary mine.

Why you took the time to transcribe this, I don't know, but it was definitely worthy of your efforts, so thank you.

Cheers.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    Thanks for posting that. That is such a beautiful symbol: the ringing of the bell... such a great song.
  • Options
    dharma69 wrote:
    Why you took the time to transcribe this, I don't know.

I really don't either. But I, too, think it was worth it.
  • Options
    Low_Light03Low_Light03 Posts: 1,227
    It's probably the most listened bootleg in my car. Greatest show of my life.
    If You Give, You Begin To Live

But You Might Die Trying
  • Options
    AndySlash wrote:
    I really don't either. But I, too, think it was worth it.

Thanks, Andy. I love it! One of the best shows I've ever attended.
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Options
    thank you so much. i really want to hear it now.
    20.04.06, 23.08.06, 27.08.06, 14.09.06, 16.09.06, 17.09.06, 19.09.06, 20.09.06, 18.06.07
  • Options
    thank you so much. i really want to hear it now.
    Yeh, me too! Such a beautiful powerful song, I love it.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    OneLoveOneLove Posts: 563
    Wow! That actually made me tear up a bit. That song is one of my favs, pretty powerful stuff.

I work with kids. Mine are probably too young to remember me when they grow up, but I think at the end of the day all teachers want to make a small difference in the child's life if they can. Especially those kids who are struggling with something, academic or otherwise.

What a touching tribute to a great man in Eddie Vedders life. Kudos to Clayton Liggett.

I will be passing this along to some of my teacher friends who are also Pearl Jam fans :) No doubt atleast one of them will print out the transcript, and there will be red pen crossing out all those "uh"s. j/k ;)

What show was this from? I'd really like to buy the boot :) Thanks!
  • Options
    I'm actually listening to this tonight. I was there in San Diego, Long Road! Arrrgh that was the shit!

You don't understand...I love the long road. I heard it for the first time by accidend 3 years ago after someone who I know died. When I didn't get it in San Diego as the first song I thought oh well I guess it was just not meant to be. I was dickslapped in the audience when they built up to it in the encore. This is what rock music is made out of. I was a mess by the end of the first encore.

I only had Riot Act and Live at the Garden garden then and San Diego was my first concert!!!! Please please pleeeezzz make this into a DVD!
    Confucious Says: He who buries a man's wife alive, should not expect to sit at that man's dinner table without the subject coming up.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Being a teacher who cares I was very touched by his speech. :)
  • Options
    beautiful :)

thank you so much for typing that out!
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    Amazing song, truly truly beautiful, please which show was this speech in, i have to download it!!!???

vision oOnly Greyyy
  • Options
    SPALMASPALMA Posts: 2,279
    Beautiful, thank you.

And understandably it is one of the songs he chose for the Molo Sessions. Nice.
    "I don't want to hear any splatty tongues!"
    J.M., Jr. High Band Teacher

I raise my Freak Flag High!!
  • Options
    Just another reason to love the band.

Is this the july7th show? Might have to order it..
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

• Options

Yes. July 7, San Diego. Long Road is the first song of the first encore.

Prioir to this show, I could take or leave Long Road. For whatever reason, I just didn't get into it all that much. Being at this show radically changed my opinion of this song. Just KNOWING the meaning behind the song, having BEEN there when Ed was telling the story, seeing the emotion not only in the band, but in the faces of the audience is something that I will always think of whenever I hear Long Road. Such an amazing experience to have been a part of... I really wish all of you could have been in that arena.
  • Options
    bgirl59bgirl59 Tucson AZ Posts: 888

I would highly recommend this boot, I thought the show was one of the top 5 of the states-- The Long Road intro was a highlight for sure, not to mention Kelly Slater playing guitar for RITFW!
    xo
    PEARL JAM in 2024! Dark Matter and MORE ! THANK YOU!!   
    Peace Love & Pearl Jam forever!!
  • Options
    Wow, I just got goosebumps... :o

Such a beautiful story and personal too. Yes, another reason to love the band and this beautiful song :)

I need to hear this boot now :o

Thank you for transcribing and sharing.
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    wow i just got fucking chills after reading that,i need this boot.never knew ed said uh alot
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Buy the boot. I did after reading this and I have to say it is fast becoming my favorite PJ show. The mood of the show is amazing, the crowd is really into it and once you put the audio with what you read it'll blow your mind.:)
  • Options
    i just bought the boot a couple days ago and i notticed that compared to the other bootlegs from the 06 tour that i have, the vocals seem a little drowned out by the intruments... anyone else have this problem?
  • Options
    I wish I was there for that show I used to live in San Diego, specifically the town Encintias and the school San Dieguito Highschool now Academy that Eddie attended. So awesome to know that a show that PJ performed will a benefit a school I used to attend.
    EV Bridgeschool - October 24, 2004
    San Francisco - July 15/16/18, 2006 Bridgeschool - October 21/22, 2006
    Lollapalooza - August 5,2007
    EV Berkley - April 7/8, 2008 The Who Rock Honors - July 12, 2008
    Outside Lands - August 28, 2009 Seattle - September 21/22, 2009 San Diego - October 9, 2009
  • Options
    BuruBuru Posts: 8,473
    when i heard that boot, and that speech I was really moved
    almost to tears
    it's trully great
    and such a hauntingly beautiful song... has been playing in my mind lately, quite a bit
    y la banda de Guille... cuando toca?
  • Options
    TheSkyEtcTheSkyEtc Athens, GR Posts: 63
    Many thanks for posting... This song means a lot to many of us.
    It's nice to see where it's coming from..
    A whisper through a megaphone
  • Options
    any video?????

i tried looking on youtube but no luck............somebody please post it
  • Options
    I've been on this board for years and this is actually my first post.....

From the east coast but happen to be at this show and have a video of this speach and song but its too big to post on youtube. Any tech guru's out there that know how to compress this or send it let me know and I'll get it out to anyone. But....

Amazing moment, but the funny thing is Ed screwed up the lyrics. I was sitting directly behind the stage, in the section right above Matt. Instead of singing "and the winds are blowing and the sky is turning grey" Ed actually skips a head by accident and starts with "And the sun is setting".....he mumbles, actually looked back at Stone and starts to laugh.... he then does some improve to finish off the line like "and I know you're with me and I know you're here today"

Even with the screw up he finishes strong and the song is just amazing. I always hope for a long road opener and was blown away when I heard those cords during Ed's speach! Totally unexpected! Awesome show!
    7.5.03 Camden I, 10.2.04 Toledo, 9.15.05 Montreal, 9.16.05 Ottawa, 10.1.05 Atlantic City, 5.13.06 Hartford, 5.27.06 Camden I, 5.30.06 DC, 6.3.06 NJ II, 7.7.06 San Diego, Lollapalooza 2007, 6.24.08 MSG I, 6.25.08 MSG II, 6.27.08 Hartford, 6.28.08 Mansfield I, 6.30.08 Mansfield II, 10.28.09 Philly II, 10.30.09 Philly III, 10.31.09 Philly IV
  • Options
    dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,285
    ...he then does some improve to finish off the line like "and I know you're with me and I know you're here today"
    I know....and I actually like it just so.

Listening to other versions of "Long Road" (and I've hardly heard them all), that one line remains exclusive and quite fitting for this performance.

Good for him for screwing up so well!
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    Proud to be a fan.
    All that's sacred, comes from youth....dedications, naive and true.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I was there, SD ROCKED, and this moment was so great to share with everyone. Enjoy the memories :)
  • Options
    jrrrrr15 wrote:
    I've been on this board for years and this is actually my first post.....

From the east coast but happen to be at this show and have a video of this speach and song but its too big to post on youtube. Any tech guru's out there that know how to compress this or send it let me know and I'll get it out to anyone. But....

Amazing moment, but the funny thing is Ed screwed up the lyrics. I was sitting directly behind the stage, in the section right above Matt. Instead of singing "and the winds are blowing and the sky is turning grey" Ed actually skips a head by accident and starts with "And the sun is setting".....he mumbles, actually looked back at Stone and starts to laugh.... he then does some improve to finish off the line like "and I know you're with me and I know you're here today"

Even with the screw up he finishes strong and the song is just amazing. I always hope for a long road opener and was blown away when I heard those cords during Ed's speach! Totally unexpected! Awesome show!

what format is the video in? you can upload it to megaupload.com and someone can encode it, or go over to http://www.videohelp.com and look around. there are a bunch of free video encoders there.
    i'd love to see this clip!
    From Tim Bierman's interview for 10c job: "what about computers, how are you with computers?" And I was like, "well, you know what, I don't have a computer. I've never had one and I really suck at it." And they were like, "ok, well, you can get a book."