Options

Chicago Cubs baseball!!!

Comments

• Options
    Gtilley8Gtilley8 Detroit Posts: 985
    bflynn1 said:
    Glad that's over. I would've hated to watch this selfish offense get swept by the Brewers.
    That's a great way of putting it.  Offensively, this was a very selfish team.  And Baez had a good year in spite of that.  Sadly, year 4 into this run, and I don't think they're going to get it.  
    2000 - 8/21 - Columbus, OH
    2003 - 6/18 - Chicago, IL
    2006 - 5/22 - Auburn Hills, MI
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL
    2015 - 9/26 - New York, NY
    2016 - 4/16 - Greenville, SC; 8/20 - Chicago, IL; 8/22 - Chicago, IL
    2018 - 8/18 - Chicago, IL; 8/20 - Chicago, IL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3045
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Ben Zobrist has now played in both the AL & NL Wild Card, AL & NL Division Series, AL & NL Championship Series, and is a World Series Champion for both leagues.

He has appeared in 8 of the last 11 Postseasons.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Well, it’s been fun fellas. See y’all back here next Spring. 
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    sad chicago cubs GIF by NBC Sports Chicago
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,463
    Welp. Tough battle on both sides. 2 runs and 9 hits in 22 innings isn’t gonna win many games. Congrats Wobbie, the Big Bad Cubs are going home. At least we don’t have to listen to you freakin cry about it the rest of the year. :weary:

I was very good about staying out of your thread. with your guy's talent I can't for the life of me figure why the offense is so pathetic.

brewers are the best team left. go brew crew!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    Welp. Tough battle on both sides. 2 runs and 9 hits in 22 innings isn’t gonna win many games. Congrats Wobbie, the Big Bad Cubs are going home. At least we don’t have to listen to you freakin cry about it the rest of the year. :weary:

I was very good about staying out of your thread. with your guy's talent I can't for the life of me figure why the offense is so pathetic.

brewers are the best team left. go brew crew!
    Trust me, we don’t understand it either. 
  • Options
    Yeah that’s what the Cardinals we’re doing Friday. :wink: How’d their last playoff appearance go?
  • Options
    Russell suspended 40 games without pay, retroactive to Sept. 21 so will sit out the first 29 games of next season. 
    I say buy out his contract and cut him altogether. Send a message. We don’t need the headache in the media or the clubhouse. 
  • Options
    Russell suspended 40 games without pay, retroactive to Sept. 21 so will sit out the first 29 games of next season. 
    I say buy out his contract and cut him altogether. Send a message. We don’t need the headache in the media or the clubhouse. 
    Yep. Adios. 
  • Options
    Yeah that’s what the Cardinals we’re doing Friday. :wink: How’d their last playoff appearance 
    fuck the cards
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

• Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,763
    edited October 2018
    Ahhh...the days when Schwarber had trade value.

The last time I saw the Cardinals play in person, the Cubs hit 6 HR's against them. It was phenomenal!
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options

So which was the bigger choke job? The 1969 Cubs? Or this years nonsense? I'm going with this year!

Lose 3 of their last 4 games at home, including a division tie-breaker and the wild card.

Score 1 run in each of those 3 losses.

Blow a 5 game lead in September.

AN EPIC CHOKE! Even by Chicago standards.

FUCKING NITWITS!

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    Baseball playoffs are absurd.  You play 162 games and then ONE game is sufficient for a wild card?  You need 162 games to determine who the best team in a division is but ONE game is sufficient to determine a playoff series. 
  • Options
    Baseball playoffs are absurd.  You play 162 games and then ONE game is sufficient for a wild card?  You need 162 games to determine who the best team in a division is but ONE game is sufficient to determine a playoff series. 

BUT

Those teams in the wild card wouldn't be in the playoffs period, if it NOT for the wild card. Over the years many a team has finished 1 game out, after 162 games, and they miss the playoffs completely. This wild card now gives them a 1 game chance. I guess. But yeah, I can also see going to a 3 game series too.

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190

So which was the bigger choke job? The 1969 Cubs? Or this years nonsense? I'm going with this year!

Lose 3 of their last 4 games at home, including a division tie-breaker and the wild card.

FUCKING NITWITS!

no black cats to blame either, Speedy!!!!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    lolobugg said:

FUCKING NITWITS!

no black cats to blame either, Speedy!!!!!

I blame Trump.

Its always that guys fault.

No black cats

No 81 games of day baseball at home

No Ron Santo kicking his heels, and pissing off the opposing teams.

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,428

BUT

Those teams in the wild card wouldn't be in the playoffs period, if it NOT for the wild card. Over the years many a team has finished 1 game out, after 162 games, and they miss the playoffs completely. This wild card now gives them a 1 game chance. I guess. But yeah, I can also see going to a 3 game series too.

Divisional Winners already have too many days off, so i can't see them going to 3 games. Plus, teams don't deserve best of 3 if they can't win the Division.
  • Options
    I wasn't alive for the '69 Cubs but I'd have to go with that as the more epic choke job.  Tied or led the division from Opening Day to Sept. 10th.  9 games up on Aug 16, finished 8 games back.  How the fuck do you drop 17 games in the last 6 weeks of the season??  The 69 team also didn't have to play 42 games in 43 days to close out the year.

Chili Davis needs to go.  Boston's bats improved this year without hiim, ours got worse with him. Much worse.  How in holy fucking hell do you have as many games scoring 0 or 1 runs in a season as a team who had (by far) not only the worst record in the majors this year, but the worst in their franchise history with 115 losses?  In 162 games, the Orioles had 40 games scoring just a single run or getting shut out. In 164 games (WC included), so did the Cubs.

They did choke away the division but it was also a season long problem that seemingly had no answer.  I think Joe's constant tinkering with the lineup, his stubborn refusal to start Almora over Happ from April to mid-August, his stubborn refusal to accept the pitcher batting 8th produces fewer runs, the guys just never got in any sort of rhythm.  One guy gets hot, then suddenly he's riding pine for the next 3 days. Rizzo batting 3rd, then 5th, then leadoff, then cleanup, then 6th, then back to 3rd.  Etc, etc...

Well, up to right now, they've played more games than anyone in baseball the last 4 seasons. They deserve some rest.
  • Options

BUT

1993 Giants won 103 games and didn’t even have a WC game. thanks, rockies....0fer v. the braves.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

BUT

1993 Giants won 103 games and didn’t even have a WC game. thanks, rockies....0fer v. the braves.
    Because it sucks to have been in the world series just 4 years prior to that.  
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

• Options
    Gtilley8 said:
    Wobbie said:

BUT

Because it sucks to have been in the world series just 4 years prior to that.  

and swept. :angry:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
  • Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Good
  • Options
    Chili Davis, one and done.
    I believe Boston fired him last year. Look at their offense this year. 
  • Options
    Giants legend!

not really, but the 80s were rough.

I believe both chili and hac man Leonard hit exactly 100 HR for the Giants 

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Exactly what I was thinking the second I heard he was fired.  
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

• Options
    Gtilley8 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Hopefully we’ll follow suit next season. 
  • Options
    Oh...and F the Brewers. 

From,

A not at all salty Cubs fan.  ;)
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,763
    bbiggs said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Hopefully we’ll follow suit next season. 
    I think a lot of that will depend on how well either Harper or Machado produce for them next season. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Hopefully Machado.  I really don't want another overpriced right fielder.  You know Machado will produce.  I think he'll stay in LA or join the Yankees, though.