Options

Chicago Cubs baseball!!!

Comments

• Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,750
    In the meantime, I'm very curious as to who the starters for the north side are going to be next season. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Hhopefully not Chris fucking Archer. Don’t know why everyone thinks he’s so great.
  • Options
    Yeah, I never got it either. I mean he's not awful either, but not the blue chipper everyone seems to think he is.

And it's not just SP either, but what about the bullpen? I think the thought was to hand it to Edwards Jr. next season, but I don't think that's going to be the case anymore.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    $13million a year for another less than mediocre pitcher.  Dude went 8-15 with an ERA near 5 on a playoff team.  Yeah, he'll be great.
  • Options
    Gtilley8Gtilley8 Detroit Posts: 985
    edited December 2017
    $13million a year for another less than mediocre pitcher.  Dude went 8-15 with an ERA near 5 on a playoff team.  Yeah, he'll be great.
    He's had a sub 3.00 ERA on the road the last 2 seasons.  I really like his splits away from the HR derby park in Denver.  If he's our 4 or 5, I think we're in good shape.  As for the money, heck, that just what SPs are getting these days.  I do believe it's a little crazy at 13M, but it is what it is.
    2000 - 8/21 - Columbus, OH
    2003 - 6/18 - Chicago, IL
    2006 - 5/22 - Auburn Hills, MI
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL
    2015 - 9/26 - New York, NY
    2016 - 4/16 - Greenville, SC; 8/20 - Chicago, IL; 8/22 - Chicago, IL
    2018 - 8/18 - Chicago, IL; 8/20 - Chicago, IL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3045
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,251
    Gtilley8 said:
    He's had a sub 3.00 ERA on the road the last 2 seasons.  I really like his splits away from the HR derby park in Denver.  If he's our 4 or 5, I think we're in good shape.  As for the money, heck, that just what SPs are getting these days.  I do believe it's a little crazy at 13M, but it is what it is.
    Yeah, it's crazy what SP's get anymore, but this I think was an alright pick up.  He'll def be an upgrade to Lackey.  
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I like the deal. Maybe just have him skip a start should hire turn in the rotation come up when the Cubs are in COL. Sub 3.00 ERA on the road is great for a 4 or 5.
  • Options
    With Wade Davis signing in Colorado, who is the closer going to be? 

Also, who do you prefer:

Darvish, Cobb or Arrieta 
  • Options
    Hhopefully not Chris fucking Archer. Don’t know why everyone thinks he’s so great.
    Dude can strikeout batters period. 
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930
    With Wade Davis signing in Colorado, who is the closer going to be? 

Also, who do you prefer:

Darvish, Cobb or Arrieta 
    Rondon?  JK...gotta be Brandon morrow imo.

good question. With the money Jake is gonna get...let him walk. Of the other 2, give me darvish. Cobb wants $20m a year. Not sure he’s worth it.  
  • Options
    ^^^I agree with that. Plus letting someone else get Jake gets the Cubs an extra draft pick. 
  • Options
    Period is right. He can't do anything else.
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Period is right. He can't do anything else.
    God forbid we get a dude that can k 10+ batters per game. He got no run support in Tampa for years. He's a career 3.6 era. Why not?
  • Options
    Past two seasons he's a combined 19-32 with a 4.05 ERA and 1.25 whip.  His hits allowed have climbed every season of his career. He has more starts giving up 10 or more runs than many teams in the past 3 or 4 seasons.
  • Options
    Past two seasons he's a combined 19-32 with a 4.05 ERA and 1.25 whip.  His hits allowed have climbed every season of his career. He has more starts giving up 10 or more runs than many teams in the past 3 or 4 seasons.
    So that means you forget the first 3 years of his career? This guy needs a change of scenery and he will be fine. He's a great pitcher. 
  • Options
    So that means you forget the first 3 years of his career? This guy needs a change of scenery and he will be fine. He's a great pitcher. 
    It doesn't mean ignore it, but it gives me more of a "what have you done for me lately?" idea, which is nothing but strike people out and get shelled. He's not that good.
  • Options
    It doesn't mean ignore it, but it gives me more of a "what have you done for me lately?" idea, which is nothing but strike people out and get shelled. He's not that good.
    I suppose we can agree to disagree about him. Id rather have archer than Quintana. 
  • Options
    I suppose we can agree to disagree about him. Id rather have archer than Quintana. 
    I'm up in the air about the two.  I like Quintana a lot. I think he has great upside, and I think we're going to see a hell of a year out of him in 18.  Archer is a great talent, much like Arrieta was when we picked him up.  He could just as easily be a 20 game winner as he could be a bust in the long run.  

Just saw we offered Arrieta 4 years at 110M.  Interesting to see if that gets it done, or we're just upping the ante for another suiter.  
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

• Options
    Gtilley8 said:
    I'm up in the air about the two.  I like Quintana a lot. I think he has great upside, and I think we're going to see a hell of a year out of him in 18.  Archer is a great talent, much like Arrieta was when we picked him up.  He could just as easily be a 20 game winner as he could be a bust in the long run.  

Just saw we offered Arrieta 4 years at 110M.  Interesting to see if that gets it done, or we're just upping the ante for another suiter.  
    I think jake wants out. I don't know why. That's a great offer on both sides. I just feel like jake wants way more than that. Years and contract value.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930
    ^ Jake and Boras as well. 
  • Options
    I don't know exactly why, but I have always viewed Jake as a baseball player, not really a Chicago Cub. I don't see him as being the guy that hangs around Wrigley when he's long retired. It just makes it easier for me to say good bye to a player when it's that way.
  • Options
    I was skeptical of Quintana, but he put up some really good performances down the stretch.  Anxious to see what he brings this season.

One thing is for sure, if we have another year of 1-8 (with the exception of Bryant) batting .235 into August -  a rotation of Kershaw, Max, Sale, Kluber, & Greinke couldn't save us.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I was skeptical of Quintana, but he put up some really good performances down the stretch.  Anxious to see what he brings this season.

One thing is for sure, if we have another year of 1-8 (with the exception of Bryant) batting .235 into August -  a rotation of Kershaw, Max, Sale, Kluber, & Greinke couldn't save us.
    You give me those 5 pitchers, and I wouldn't care if you sat bryant for 3/4 of the season!
  • Options
    Gtilley8 said:

I think jake wants out. I don't know why. That's a great offer on both sides. I just feel like jake wants way more than that. Years and contract value.
    I agree.  I think a part of it is his "aces get paid" comments.  If he comes back for anything but a record payout, he doesn't save face.  I think that's more important to him now, since winning one.  
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

• Options
    $27.5M per year.  At Jake's latest rate, that's about $167k per inning.
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind having him back though, don't get me wrong.  He's lost some command the past couple seasons, but it seems like when we've needed someone to step up in a big game, he's always done so.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I don't know why the cubs would offer baez for one if San Diego's "controllable" starters.  I wouldn't think any of SD's starters are worth much of anything.
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007

Go Cubs ;)

• Options
    I wouldn't mind having him back though, don't get me wrong.  He's lost some command the past couple seasons, but it seems like when we've needed someone to step up in a big game, he's always done so.
    No doubt. Jake has been the man for us.  Totally not even an argument there. Work ethic, preparedness, attitude - love the way he approaches the game.  There's a lot to like.  His comments prior to becoming a free agent, about how he thought he should be paid - they put me off a bit.  Combine that with his political comments on Twitter, which- yeah I'm a liberal, so I thought he looked like an ass..... Either way, that had nothing to do with his baseball skills.  Would take him back for anything that didn't cripple the organization.  
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

• Options
    Gtilley8 said:
    No doubt. Jake has been the man for us.  Totally not even an argument there. Work ethic, preparedness, attitude - love the way he approaches the game.  There's a lot to like.  His comments prior to becoming a free agent, about how he thought he should be paid - they put me off a bit.  Combine that with his political comments on Twitter, which- yeah I'm a liberal, so I thought he looked like an ass..... Either way, that had nothing to do with his baseball skills.  Would take him back for anything that didn't cripple the organization.  
    I am only referring to your last comment here. I don't think Theo would ever out the cubs in a position where one guys contract would cripple them. He has to be, along with BB in New England,  the best general manager in all of professional sports when it comes to player salaries.