Options

14 years since Missoula!

ZodZod Posts: 10,143
edited June 2012 in The Porch
I was just looking at the date and realized it's June 20th. It's already been 14 years since my first full headlining Pearl Jam show! (Previously I'd only seen them at the Lolla '92 show in Vancouver).

I think this show bumped me from a moderately big pearl jam fan to a huge pearl jam fan. The whole atmosphere of the event was epic.

I think we got into Missoula two days early. That night there was a huge thunderstorm and half the town seemed like it was flooded from the rain. We camped out at the KOA that night.. ended up sleeping in the car. We upgraded to a cabin for the next night.

The show itself was epic. I remember being stoked that the merch booth was outside of the Grizzly Stadium. I was able to buy a poster and shirt and stash it back in the car. Goodness (the opening band was pretty good). Pearl Jam came on and rocked the placed out. Some dude proposed to his g/f on stage, and lots of people who couldn't get tickets were able to watch from a hill right behind the stadium.

I'm a bit envious of everyone going to this year's Missoula show. Hopefully one day they do another show at grizzly stadium.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Zod wrote:
    Some dude proposed to his g/f on stage,.

Did PJ then play 'Betterman'?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Zod wrote:

They did.. lol.. at his request if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Zod wrote:

be funny if he asked for a divorce on stage this time
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,338
    I was there. Probably my most memorable show. Playing in a college football stadium right next to the big hill with lots of fans watching down was just so awesome! Glad I bought the poster at the show! Ive seen it selling on ebay for several hundred dollars.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    Zod wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Zod wrote:

They did.. lol.. at his request if I remember correctly.

that was a buddy of mine...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    RKCNDY wrote:

are they still together?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

are they still together?

She apparently found a Betterman...

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

are they still together?

She apparently found a Betterman...

:lol::lol:

is he going to teh show....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:

:lol::lol:

is he going to teh show....

He's been MIA for the last 2 years... :(

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    I was there. Probably my most memorable show. Playing in a college football stadium right next to the big hill with lots of fans watching down was just so awesome! Glad I bought the poster at the show! Ive seen it selling on ebay for several hundred dollars.

I'm also glad I bought the poster. It survived the rest of my Cross Canada trip (to Newfoundland and back). It's the oldest poster in my collection. I didn't even know PJ did show posters until I saw it by the tshirts.

That big hill was awesome. I often wonder why it would be look looking into the stadium from up on that hill.

I think it was Matt Cameron's first full sized PJ show as well (I think there was a club show in seattle, but I'll ignore that one).
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    I was there, too. McCready came out and played a song or two with Goodness (old friends of his/Shadow members/also in Rockfords).

The hill in question is Mount Sentinel, with the giant "M":

http://www.flickr.com/photos/torel78/6882523409/

You can clearly see the stadium at the foot of the mountain, and the Adams Center arena (where they will play in Sept) right next door. I spent my freshman year of college in the tall dorm building just behind the arena in that photo.

They had just finished the tour of Australia w/ Jack on drums, and then they swapped to Matt. This was Matt's first tour date with the band, although they did do a show in Seattle at a club, and a short set at the TFC.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.