Options

So is Grand Rapids becoming the new "State College?"

2»

Comments

• Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    adusick wrote:
    Here's my argument FOR Grand Rapids...

First of all, for those saying that the pre-set was "no big deal", heres why it's special...Ed did 'Dead Man', then started putting on the headset harmonica, most likely to play 'you've got to hide your love away'. The guy in front of me shouts out, "Happy Birthday Pete!", then Ed pauses, puts up his index finger, takes of the harmonica, and immediately goes into "can't explain". It was a special moment.

Fifth: Other Rarities - Crazy Mary, Leatherman, Baba....

I can agree with you that pre-sets are special but pre-sets are special for the people that were there, as I said before I got several pre-set on 03 and they were all special to me, though it doesnt make WPB 2003 legendary even though they played Glorified G after a shit load of years of not playing it.

No one is arguing that this show was awesome, great setlist and for what I heard awesome crowd, the argument if whether this show is legendary or not, I think its to soon to tell we have an entire tour ahead of us...

Just one more question?

How are Crazy Mary and Baba rarities?
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    BeerBaron wrote:
    It's funny to see that people can be comparing GR to some of the most Epic shows like State College 03.

I was unable to go to GR and I am pissed after seeing the setlist. But, all in all there are other shows (like State College) that I am more upset about missing.

GR was a great setlist, but personally, I think Chicago II was even a better setlist.

Since I wasn't there I have no clue about the atmosphere though ...

The only thing I think was better about the Chicago II setlist is the inclusion of Crown of Thorns. That is the one song I most want to hear. Otherwise I preferred what I heard in GR over the Chicago II setlist.

I think the comparisons to State College is from the similarity of the setlists. Both had rockin' first sets, followed by a set of slower songs, with a another rockin' set which felt like it would never have to end to close the show.

BTW - I was at both State College and Grand Rapids, and it was a similar atmosphere for both shows. So much energy from the crowd and the band just wanted to keep playing. These and London, Ontario last year are the 3 best shows My wife & I have seen.
  • Options
    JoePJrocksJoePJrocks Posts: 24
    You can't just look setlist to setlist and say one show was better. I agree that maybe Chicago II looks better on paper, but I was AT GR - and that was the highest energy show I have EVER seen and I've been to 10 plus.

What made it so cool was that the band recognized how great the crowd was and made it a special night because of that - BEST crowd - band relationship experience I've ever witnessed at ANY show - and I've seen a shitload of varuious concerts (200+ ??)
  • Options
    nothingman44nothingman44 Posts: 1,495
    guess ya had to be there...

that goes for almost every show.

you cant judge just by looking at the setlists
  • Options
    JoePJrocksJoePJrocks Posts: 24
    guess ya had to be there...

that goes for almost every show.

you judge just by looking at the setlists

yeah - It's almost pointless to compare shows unless you were at them, because the energy has a lot to do with it, even then, it's still really subjective.
  • Options
    I was at both State College and Grand Rapids. They are currently tied at 2nd for my favorite Pearl Jam shows attended. I hate to pick one over the other. My favorite attended show is London, Ca last year.

SC and GR had great crowds full of energy and ready to rock. It was very obvious that the band was feeding off of this intense energy. All and all it was a very magical experience at both shows. Almost like a religious experience. Both set lists were good but I don't think a set list necessarily makes or breaks a show. I had way better seats at GR though but that doesn't make or break a show either. It's all about synergy and both of these shows had it.
    The reason the main stream is thought of as a stream is because it's so shallow. -George Carlin-
  • Options
    nothingman44nothingman44 Posts: 1,495
    is the GR show a 3-disc bootleg?
  • Options
    RomanzaRomanza Posts: 115
    is the GR show a 3-disc bootleg?

yes!

(10 characters)

"This feeling is wonderful...don't you ever turn it off."
    -JJ
  • Options
    MasterFramerMasterFramer Posts: 2,268
    warrenfse wrote:
    No offense, but Charlotte is not one of the legendary shows from the PJ history books. Maybe to you, but you gotta be able to subtract yourself from the situation. If I included shows I attended as legendary, I'd toss in Philly one in '00, but I don't think anyone would call that anything special. This is more of a question of whether or not people will talk about it going forward, whether they were there or not. I don't think anyone has ever brought up Charlotte '96. It probably goes as legendary:

Unplugged
    Pink Pop
    That acoustic show in '92 in Europe (where they had there equipment stolen)
    Boston '94 (Orpheum and honestly, shouldn't we mention that Chicago Stadium show they did in '94 as well? That was pretty sick)
    Atlanta '94
    Soldier Field '95
    Randall's Island '96
    MSG 2 '98
    Katowice '00
    Seattle '00 (Night 2 . . . Although, I kinda think this show is overrated. Not much rare, but first 3 disc set, so I guess it counts).
    Buffalo, Penn State, MSG 1 and Boston 3 in '03
    The Gorge and Philly in '05

These are shows that people still talk about. I don't know if Grand Rapids will get the same mentions as these. We still have 3 more legs of this before we can judge.

Just wanted to point out you should put the unplugged show under the show that they had their stuff stolen from :)
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    Rider wrote:
    Add Charlotte Memorial 96 to the legendary list. Great energy, sold out Saturday Night General Admission full football stadium of rowdies. Huge Mosh Pit. Band was on fire, terrific old school set list. Guest spot by Gloria Steinem, Ed was very pleased with her reception and really gave us a show.

Insane. It converted me from Pearl Jam is pretty good live (the Lollapalooza's I saw) to Man, they are incredible.

What a great show that was! I don't think it was sold out though, I ordered my tickets less than 2 weeks before the show. Glad I made the journey for this. I even made it into a photo from this show in Place/Date.

I'm still looking for a recording of this show. I have heard the only source isn't very good for part of it, (unless a better one has surfaced) but I'd still like to hear it. I hope PJ starts releasing archive shows soon, starting with the 96 No Code tour.
  • Options
    pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    JoePJrocks wrote:
    You can't just look setlist to setlist and say one show was better. I agree that maybe Chicago II looks better on paper, but I was AT GR - and that was the highest energy show I have EVER seen and I've been to 10 plus.

What made it so cool was that the band recognized how great the crowd was and made it a special night because of that - BEST crowd - band relationship experience I've ever witnessed at ANY show - and I've seen a shitload of varuious concerts (200+ ??)

Couldn't agree more. I was at both Chicago shows and GR. GR blew away either Chicago. The crowds in Chicago were lame in my opinion. I was 14th row in the first section on the side for Chicago II and hardly anyone on the floor was moving during the songs (to each their own, but damn this is a rock concert). At Grand Rapids the entire floor (I was in 10th row) was jumping around and singing every lyric to every song. This was not even close to the case in Chicago.

Personally I think the band would love to have given Chicago a GR type show but they didn't earn it. GR earned that show and they got what they deserved. That being said, I can't wait for Summerfest. While I am also very excited to see Tom Petty, lets show the Petty fans what a rock concert is and rock that place out. I really hope the Petty fans who don't care aren't even their cause if I see people sitting Im gonna be pissed!!!!
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • Options
    gettingrightgettingright Posts: 550
    There will be shows that top Grand Rapids this tour.

Just looked at the set list for Detroit and I think we might have a winner. I am kicking myself for not skipping class and going. Damn my sense of responsibility.

Made me think of this:
    "I'll do it what I want, but irresponsibly"

I have learned nothing...
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    I was at State College as well as both toronto's and let me tell you, GR was a better show than state college and only Randalls island topped it!
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    GR or Chicago 2 are the best of the tour so far and I am so freaking excited that I was at both of those beauties!!
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    Bubba wrote:
    I think a lot of the hype is because of the whole ticket issue. If it wasnt for that, would this show be any different than others so far?? I mean Im listening to Small Town and Ed stops to let everyone sing and the place goes silent 1:30 into the song....

But then again, the band isnt actually as loud on a bootleg as in person right? For the first 4-5 songs I could barely hear Ed singing because everyone was matching the volume. It was crazy.
    Happiness is only real when shared