Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• Did the boxsets come with a box to house the albums. Or was it just the albums?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    Did the boxsets come with a box to house the albums. Or was it just the albums?
    They come in a box (2 out of the 4 individual jacket inside the box split open at the seams for me though - like the glue they use doesn't work properly).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:
    They come in a box (2 out of the 4 individual jacket inside the box split open at the seams for me though - like the glue they use doesn't work properly).
    Ive had my vinyls in my moms storage since 2003 so I dont know what Neil albums I have and not (and If they have been destroyed during these years) but tempting getting these...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,251
    I couldn't get hold of the volume 1-4 box when it came out so I bought the NY to Harvest reissues individually. Volumes 5-8 and 8.5-12 are in the boxes and it really bugs me!
    I wish I could get hold of an empty 1-4 box to put my records in.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    edited January 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    Ive had my vinyls in my moms storage since 2003 so I dont know what Neil albums I have and not (and If they have been destroyed during these years) but tempting getting these...
    TBH, I think that so far only the 5-8 box is better than buying individually, just because it's the only one where all 4 albums are truly fucking awesome as a complete bundle. For the rest of them I'd only really ever want to play maybe half of them. I may as well save my money and only get the individual albums that I know I'll spin. Also, I think I find the box an unnecessary burden. It just makes it that much harder to get to the record I want to put on the turntable, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,174
    I saw a used copy of Vol 1 box. it is going for outrageous money.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

lolobugg said:
    Yeah I've seen some crazy prices for it too. I've got the ORS records so I don't need to buy them again just for the box, unless I find one at a crazy low price.

I also haven't got the 1-4 cd box either. I've got the 5-8 and 8.5-12 boxes, and 1-4 is easy to find. But the 1-4 cds are in jewel cases and the others are in slip cases, so the box is a different size to the other ones and that would bug me too!
    First world problems I know!

(Tim Rogers)
    edited January 2018
    goldrush said:
    lolobugg said:
    Yeah I've seen some crazy prices for it too. I've got the ORS records so I don't need to buy them again just for the box, unless I find one at a crazy low price.

I also haven't got the 1-4 cd box either. I've got the 5-8 and 8.5-12 boxes, and 1-4 is easy to find. But the 1-4 cds are in jewel cases and the others are in slip cases, so the box is a different size to the other ones and that would bug me too!
    You don't ever have to apologize for "First World Problems" in my opinion. that is the stupidest shit i have ever been called on. of course we  are first world. do you think people in Third World countries would even have internet connections. i hate that term so much. yes we have disposable cash, time, etc.

and this wasn't aimed at you.. i just wanted to say that you don't have to apologize for it. just feeling a little feisty tonight. i wanted to clear that up a while back.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

edited January 2018
    lolobugg said:
    goldrush said:
    lolobugg said:

You don't ever have to apologize for "First World Problems" in my opinion. that is the stupidest shit i have ever been called on. of course we  are first world. do you think people in Third World countries would even have internet connections. i hate that term so much. yes we have disposable cash, time, etc.

and this wasn't aimed at you.. i just wanted to say that you don't have to apologize for it. just feeling a little feisty tonight. i wanted to clear that up a while back.
    I agree! That first world problems thing pisses me off - it's so dumb as an accusation (not against you goldrush). And I guess that's another one of my fucking first world problems, lol.
    PJ_Soul said:
    lolobugg said:
    goldrush said:
    lolobugg said:

I agree! That first world problems thing pisses me off - it's so dumb. And I guess that's another one of my fucking first world problems, lol.
    right on. i guess it is some bullshit thing people who are guilty have to "throw out there". fuckers

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

edited January 2018
    lolobugg said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    lolobugg said:
    goldrush said:
    lolobugg said:

I agree! That first world problems thing pisses me off - it's so dumb. And I guess that's another one of my fucking first world problems, lol.
    right on. i guess it is some bullshit thing people who are guilty have to "throw out there". fuckers
    Oh I agree, it's complete bollocks. If I'm honest I only threw it in there because it's something that's been aimed at me elsewhere in the forum before, so I thought I'd get in first!

Who really gives a shit about the size of a Neil Young box set, as long as there's Neil Young music inside it, right? :lol:
    Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)
  • goldrush said:
    lolobugg said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    lolobugg said:
    goldrush said:
    lolobugg said:

Oh I agree, it's complete bollocks. If I'm honest I only threw it in there because it's something that's been aimed at me elsewhere in the forum before, so I thought I'd get in first!

Who really gives a shit about the size of a Neil Young box set, as long as there's Neil Young music inside it, right? :lol:
    I hate inconsistencies. 
    edited January 2018
    I stumbled across this again today, it's been a while since I saw it:

https://youtu.be/4-R94DKpX14

I hope this gets a blu ray release eventually (along with Weld and Unplugged) like the recent Live Rust and Human Highway reissues
    Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)
  • goldrush said:

I hope this gets a blu ray release eventually (along with Weld and Unplugged) like the recent Live Rust and Human Highway reissues
    Oh, there's the "acoustic version of Crime in the City that's better than the album version" my brother was talking about.
  • cornelia.hcornelia.h Vienna Posts: 47
    The "Freedom" acoustic sets he did in 89 in Europe were out of this world. Crime in the city and Eldorado being the highlights!
    Salzburg 2000, Vienna 2006, Munich 2007, Novarock 2007, Prag, Berlin 1 + 2, Stockholm 2012, EV London 1 + 2 2012, Vienna 2014, EV Berlin 2017, Berlin 2018, EV Amsterdam I + II 2019
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    lolobugg said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    lolobugg said:
    goldrush said:
    lolobugg said:

It’s really gotten twisted around from what it initially meant. I always took it to mean more like whatever the problem is, it’s really not worth getting they worked up about. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
    goldrush said:

Great stuff!  I haven't watched this in a while even though I have it on VHS.  I love it that Ben Keith is on some of this.  Sad that he's no longer around.  Yeah, I would dig having this on a good quality DVD.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

I love the version of Ohio that's on that video. I found a link to just that song earlier; it's so good it's worth posting on its own!

https://youtu.be/cgD4Ts30Hcg

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    I love the version of Ohio that's on that video. I found a link to just that song earlier; it's so good it's worth posting on its own!

I love that!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• goldrush said:

Nice!
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Neil... brother... we need some damn tour dates!!!
    edited January 2018
    Looks like the Roxy Archive release is on its way after all. It's changed to "now in production" on the NYA website

(Tim Rogers)
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Is anyone else like me and only hone in on a certain style of Neil's albums/songs. He's got so much material available but I find myself primarily going back to the same stuff. 
    edited January 2018
    bflynn1 said:
    Is anyone else like me and only hone in on a certain style of Neil's albums/songs. He's got so much material available but I find myself primarily going back to the same stuff. 
    I really dislike the more country-sounding stuff. Albums like Old Ways. Not my thing at all. Plus he put out a few real shit albums in the 80s, and a few more in recent years.
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I like to ride the Crazy Horse
    bflynn1 said:

I like to ride the Crazy Horse
    My favorites are Neil with The Horse, but I'm also a big fan of Tonight's the Night, On the Beach, American Stars 'n Bars, Time Fades Away, Comes a Time, and Trans.

I saw a great comment on one of the Facebook NY fan pages:

"Music is one Ocean. Neil swims where he will from day to day. Folk, grunge, rock, country. He goes where the tides take him."

I'm not a fan of the country songs either, but I love acoustic folkie Neil just as much as I love the Horse, if not a little more. I very rarely listen to the 80s stuff, but there are some really great songs hidden in there. I'd love to hear some of the Geffen records get the 'Hitchhiker' treatment; they'd sound great with just Neil's voice and an acoustic guitar.

(Tim Rogers)
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    One of my favorite NY albums is Silver & Gold from 2000.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • One of my favorite NY albums is Silver & Gold from 2000.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgiOJNnOjdk
  • I still think his solo debut is his secret masterpiece. It's mindblowingly amazing.