Official Neil Young Thread

12930313234

Comments

  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 19,920
    edited April 27
    goldrush said:

    Just found out Jonathan Demme (who passed today) shot Neil Young playing with Crazy Horse in 1996 on 35mm film with the guy who shot Silence of the Lambs and Sixth Sense etc. Would love to see that.

    It was called "The Complex Sessions", and it was 4 songs from the Sleeps With Angels record. It was only released on VHS, I've got a copy in a storage box somewhere. The audio tracks were included on a bootleg called "TV EP and Best of The Unreleased" (which includes a fantastic version of Interstate, by the way)



    It's never come out on DVD but the videos are all on YouTube:

    My Heart


    Prime of Life


    Change Your Mind


    Piece of Crap
    I have the VHS of "Complex Sessions" and watched it a LOT when I had the sound from my VHS player run through my stereo set up. I need to get the DVD so I can watch this yet again that way (my DVD player is set up through the stereo). Unfortunately, "Weld" is not available on DVD nor, for that matter, Lou Reed's live version of "New York". I wish more of these things would be released on DVD!

    Edit: I'm not seeing Complex Sessions out there anywhere on DVD. Bummer!
    Post edited by brianlux on
    We're living on the edge of something big. It's a fantastic time in history to be alive.
    AMT, 1.25.15, 00:36 hrs.
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 3,510
    brianlux said:

    goldrush said:

    Just found out Jonathan Demme (who passed today) shot Neil Young playing with Crazy Horse in 1996 on 35mm film with the guy who shot Silence of the Lambs and Sixth Sense etc. Would love to see that.

    It was called "The Complex Sessions", and it was 4 songs from the Sleeps With Angels record. It was only released on VHS, I've got a copy in a storage box somewhere. The audio tracks were included on a bootleg called "TV EP and Best of The Unreleased" (which includes a fantastic version of Interstate, by the way)



    It's never come out on DVD but the videos are all on YouTube:

    My Heart


    Prime of Life


    Change Your Mind


    Piece of Crap
    I have the VHS of "Complex Sessions" and watched it a LOT when I had the sound from my VHS player run through my stereo set up. I need to get the DVD so I can watch this yet again that way (my DVD player is set up through the stereo). Unfortunately, "Weld" is not available on DVD nor, for that matter, Lou Reed's live version of "New York". I wish more of these things would be released on DVD!

    Edit: I'm not seeing Complex Sessions out there anywhere on DVD. Bummer!
    There's always hope for an Archives release. Journey Through The Past, Rust Never Sleeps, Human Highway have been rereleased recently so fingers crossed for Weld and The Complex Sessions - and Trunk Show while we're at it!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 12,555
    PLEASE release The Trunk Show!!!! I was at those shows
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 3,510
    Neil was on stage at Willie Nelson's birthday at Stagecoach on Saturday. There's a video of him playing harmonica towards the bottom of this article:

    http://www.brooklynvegan.com/stagecoach-2017-saturday-photos-willie-nelson-neil-young-margo-price-john-doe-of-x-more/

    Good to see he's well again
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 19,920
    goldrush said:

    Neil was on stage at Willie Nelson's birthday at Stagecoach on Saturday. There's a video of him playing harmonica towards the bottom of this article:

    http://www.brooklynvegan.com/stagecoach-2017-saturday-photos-willie-nelson-neil-young-margo-price-john-doe-of-x-more/

    Good to see he's well again

    Good to know! :plus_one:
    We're living on the edge of something big. It's a fantastic time in history to be alive.
    AMT, 1.25.15, 00:36 hrs.
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitarPosts: 6,917
    edited May 26
    I laid down all the songs in a row, pausing only for weed, beer, or coke. Briggs was in the control room, mixing live on his favorite console.  - sounds good - hope he has another tour in him.
    Cork-Eddie-17 Chicago 1&2-16 Miami-16 Ft. Lauderdale-16 New York City(Colbert,Sound Check,Show)-15 Moline-14 Detroit-14 Amsterdam 1&2-14 Chicago-13 Noblesville-10 Grand Rapids-06 Grand Rapids-04 Auburn Hills-00 Auburn Hills-98 Toledo-96

    NO SAMPLES, KEYBOARDS OR SYNTHESIZERS USED IN THE MAKING OF THIS RECORDING....
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNSPosts: 5,833
    livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446
    1995- New Orleans, LA
    1996- Charleston, SC
    1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN
    2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN
    2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA
    2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)
    2006- Cincinnati, OH
    2008- Columbia, SC
    2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Ved- Atlanta, GA x 2
    2010- Bristow, VA
    2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Ved- Chicago, IL
    2012- Atlanta, GA
    2013- Charlotte, NC
    2014- Cincinnati, OH
    2015- New York, NY
    2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA: Raleigh, NC: Columbia, SC: Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 19,920
    jjflash said:
    http://www.stereogum.com/1943245/long-lost-neil-young-album-hitchhiker-reportedly-coming-this-summer/news/


    I'm so stoked reading this news I made the quote feature F*ck up but oh well- exciting!  Just post "Tonight's the Night" and "Zuma"- gotta be awesome!!
    We're living on the edge of something big. It's a fantastic time in history to be alive.
    AMT, 1.25.15, 00:36 hrs.
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 5,581
    The man they call my enemy. I've seen his eyes, he looks just like me - A mirror...
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 3,510
    edited May 29
    The Diverse Vinyl site has a track listing for Hitchhiker. It remains to be seen how accurate this is (there's been a lot of speculation) but, either way this could be a real classic.

    SIDE 1 
    1. Pocahontas 
    2. PowderFinger 
    3. Captain Kennedy 
    4. Hawaii 
    5. Give Me Strength 
    SIDE 2 
    1. Ride My Llama 
    2. Hitchhiker / Like An Inca V1 
    3. Campaigner 
    4. Human Highway 
    5. The Old Country Waltz
    Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 3,510
    edited June 14
    goldrush said: 
    Thanks goldrush! LOL, yeah one of these days I'll add that to my other 36 Neil LP's, which for completists is a relatively small Neil vinyl collection! Nice RSD additions to yours, by the way! Edit: I should file this one under the "You know you're getting old when..." thread. I had already replied to your comment a while back Goldrush! I had scrambled brains for breakfast this morning along with my coffee, waffles and blueberries. :lol:
    Ha ha, no worries Brian! I'm pretty pleased with the 2 new additions. Decade has the tri-gatefold layout (with record 2's sleeve inside record 1's), and 2 cool Henry Diltz photographs. A Letter Home has 2 LPs, 7x clear vinyl 7"s, the CD and a DVD, as well as a really cool book. I've also got one more 'replacement' on the way that I'm very excited about. I'll post a pic when it gets here...
    So, the replacement that I was excited about actually turned out to be two replacements...





    Two awesome albums that I'm VERY happy to have in my collection again :)
    Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 19,920
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said: 
    Thanks goldrush! LOL, yeah one of these days I'll add that to my other 36 Neil LP's, which for completists is a relatively small Neil vinyl collection! Nice RSD additions to yours, by the way! Edit: I should file this one under the "You know you're getting old when..." thread. I had already replied to your comment a while back Goldrush! I had scrambled brains for breakfast this morning along with my coffee, waffles and blueberries. :lol:
    Ha ha, no worries Brian! I'm pretty pleased with the 2 new additions. Decade has the tri-gatefold layout (with record 2's sleeve inside record 1's), and 2 cool Henry Diltz photographs. A Letter Home has 2 LPs, 7x clear vinyl 7"s, the CD and a DVD, as well as a really cool book. I've also got one more 'replacement' on the way that I'm very excited about. I'll post a pic when it gets here...
    So, the replacement that I was excited about actually turned out to be two replacements...





    Two awesome albums that I'm VERY happy to have in my collection again :)
    "Weld" on vinyl??  Holy smokes!  I've never even seen one before and I have 37 Neil Young LPs!  I'm envious but also super happy for you, goldrush.  Nice!
    We're living on the edge of something big. It's a fantastic time in history to be alive.
    AMT, 1.25.15, 00:36 hrs.
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 3,510
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said: 
    Thanks goldrush! LOL, yeah one of these days I'll add that to my other 36 Neil LP's, which for completists is a relatively small Neil vinyl collection! Nice RSD additions to yours, by the way! Edit: I should file this one under the "You know you're getting old when..." thread. I had already replied to your comment a while back Goldrush! I had scrambled brains for breakfast this morning along with my coffee, waffles and blueberries. :lol:
    Ha ha, no worries Brian! I'm pretty pleased with the 2 new additions. Decade has the tri-gatefold layout (with record 2's sleeve inside record 1's), and 2 cool Henry Diltz photographs. A Letter Home has 2 LPs, 7x clear vinyl 7"s, the CD and a DVD, as well as a really cool book. I've also got one more 'replacement' on the way that I'm very excited about. I'll post a pic when it gets here...
    So, the replacement that I was excited about actually turned out to be two replacements...





    Two awesome albums that I'm VERY happy to have in my collection again :)
    "Weld" on vinyl??  Holy smokes!  I've never even seen one before and I have 37 Neil Young LPs!  I'm envious but also super happy for you, goldrush.  Nice!
    Thanks Brian. Yeah these 2 were pretty hard to find, I'm really happy to have them again.

    The first time I heard the Weld version of Hey Hey, My My on vinyl I thought there was something wrong with the needle! I mean, it sounds like Neil is murdering Old Black! It's just a filthy sound.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 19,920
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said: 
    Thanks goldrush! LOL, yeah one of these days I'll add that to my other 36 Neil LP's, which for completists is a relatively small Neil vinyl collection! Nice RSD additions to yours, by the way! Edit: I should file this one under the "You know you're getting old when..." thread. I had already replied to your comment a while back Goldrush! I had scrambled brains for breakfast this morning along with my coffee, waffles and blueberries. :lol:
    Ha ha, no worries Brian! I'm pretty pleased with the 2 new additions. Decade has the tri-gatefold layout (with record 2's sleeve inside record 1's), and 2 cool Henry Diltz photographs. A Letter Home has 2 LPs, 7x clear vinyl 7"s, the CD and a DVD, as well as a really cool book. I've also got one more 'replacement' on the way that I'm very excited about. I'll post a pic when it gets here...
    So, the replacement that I was excited about actually turned out to be two replacements...





    Two awesome albums that I'm VERY happy to have in my collection again :)
    "Weld" on vinyl??  Holy smokes!  I've never even seen one before and I have 37 Neil Young LPs!  I'm envious but also super happy for you, goldrush.  Nice!
    Thanks Brian. Yeah these 2 were pretty hard to find, I'm really happy to have them again.

    The first time I heard the Weld version of Hey Hey, My My on vinyl I thought there was something wrong with the needle! I mean, it sounds like Neil is murdering Old Black! It's just a filthy sound.
    Cool!  It's on my want list now, for sure!!
    We're living on the edge of something big. It's a fantastic time in history to be alive.
    AMT, 1.25.15, 00:36 hrs.
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.
  • reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ.Posts: 1,802
    edited June 4
    Will have to pull out my copy of Weld now after these posts, such a great live record..
    Auckland NZ 03-24-1995, Auckland NZ 03-25-1995, Sydney AU 03-11-1998, London, UK 05-30-2000, Reading UK 08-27-2006, London UK 06-18-2007, Christchurch NZ 11-29-2009, Auckland NZ 01-17-2014.

    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 19,920
    reesdog said:
    Will have to pull out my copy of Weld now after these posts, such a great live record..
    Crank it!  :smile:

    Now if we could just get Mr. Young to release that video on DVD.  I would love it!
    We're living on the edge of something big. It's a fantastic time in history to be alive.
    AMT, 1.25.15, 00:36 hrs.
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 5,581
    Will Harvest Moon ever get a re-issue on vinyl?
    The man they call my enemy. I've seen his eyes, he looks just like me - A mirror...
  • MedozKMedozK TennesseePosts: 6,135
    If you like Neil Young, there are some deals to be had here:
    http://www.insound.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Neil+Young&order=relevance&dir=desc

    Official Release Series Box Sets:
    Volume 5-8 = $79.68
    Volume 8.5-12 = $59.75
  • reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ.Posts: 1,802

    Playing now........loudly!
    Auckland NZ 03-24-1995, Auckland NZ 03-25-1995, Sydney AU 03-11-1998, London, UK 05-30-2000, Reading UK 08-27-2006, London UK 06-18-2007, Christchurch NZ 11-29-2009, Auckland NZ 01-17-2014.

    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 3,510
    Will Harvest Moon ever get a re-issue on vinyl?
    I believe all of Neil's vinyl is being reissued, as the 4lp box sets and as individual albums - he did say Archives would be 5 boxes, reaching the 2000s albums (although that was years ago now!)

    Harvest Moon would probably be in the 6th or 7th box set (depending on what he does with the 80s Geffen stuff)
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 3,510
    Here's a new rumour/update on the possible Hitch hiker release.
    Neil Young will release a new studio album—which he originally recorded in 1976. The disc, dubbed Hitchhiker, is set for an August 4 release via Reprise Records and will be available on vinyl, CD and digitally.

    The 10-track acoustic album was recorded live in the studio August 11, 1976, at Indigo Studios in Malibu, California. It contains some of Young’s best-loved songs plus two previously unreleased tracks.

    The original session was produced by Young’s longtime studio collaborator David Brings with new post production by John Hanlon, who has worked with Young since 1990 and produced his most recent works, including Peace Trail, Earth, The Monsanto Years, etc.

    As these songs were recorded in a single session, the resultant performances are breathtaking and passionate. The simplicity of a single voice and guitar captured here are as pure and powerful as the creator intended with only Young and Briggs in the room at the time of recording.

    Many of the songs would not appear on vinyl until years later. The title track, for example, did not officially appear until 2010’s Le Noise and naturally sounds worlds apart from the original. The version herein of “Captain Kennedy” has certain raw spontaneity compared to the slightly gentler version that would eventually surface on Hawks & Doves in 1980.

    Perhaps the most noticeable jewels in the crown of Hitchhiker are the two previously unreleased tracks that have remained in the vaults since 1976: “Hawaii” a soaring ballad and unlike anything else Young had recorded at the time. Side one closes out with “Give Me Strength,” which would be occasionally performed live in the mid-Seventies but now available here for the first time and may well be considered one of Young’s best long lost gems.

    Hitchhiker Track Listing:
    1. Pocahontas
    2. Powderfinger
    3. Captain Kennedy
    4. Hawaii
    5. Give Me Strength
    6. Ride My Llama
    7. Hitchhiker
    8. Campaigner
    9. Human Highway
    10. The Old Country Waltz
    There's plenty of time for Neil to "do a Neil" and change his mind about releasing this - or it just could be fake news! - but I really want to hear this record
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 3,510
    The title track from Hitchhiker is streaming on a few websites now. It sounds great, classic mid-70s acoustic Neil, more of a raw feel than the Le Noise version
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 5,581
    edited June 27
    goldrush said:
    The title track from Hitchhiker is streaming on a few websites now. It sounds great, classic mid-70s acoustic Neil, more of a raw feel than the Le Noise version
    Would appreciate to know..where?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    The man they call my enemy. I've seen his eyes, he looks just like me - A mirror...
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 3,510
    goldrush said:
    The title track from Hitchhiker is streaming on a few websites now. It sounds great, classic mid-70s acoustic Neil, more of a raw feel than the Le Noise version
    Would appreciate to know..where?
    Ha ha, sorry I thought I put the link in there as well. D'oh...

    http://www.nhaccuatui.com/playlist/hitchhiker-single-neil-young.OdITWSnlb6fE.html
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNSPosts: 5,833
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said:
    The title track from Hitchhiker is streaming on a few websites now. It sounds great, classic mid-70s acoustic Neil, more of a raw feel than the Le Noise version
    Would appreciate to know..where?
    Ha ha, sorry I thought I put the link in there as well. D'oh...

    http://www.nhaccuatui.com/playlist/hitchhiker-single-neil-young.OdITWSnlb6fE.html

    Nice version. thanks for the link.
    livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446
    1995- New Orleans, LA
    1996- Charleston, SC
    1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN
    2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN
    2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA
    2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)
    2006- Cincinnati, OH
    2008- Columbia, SC
    2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Ved- Atlanta, GA x 2
    2010- Bristow, VA
    2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Ved- Chicago, IL
    2012- Atlanta, GA
    2013- Charlotte, NC
    2014- Cincinnati, OH
    2015- New York, NY
    2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA: Raleigh, NC: Columbia, SC: Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 10,403
    Preorder was up at Amazon but now taken down.
    August 4th release.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 5,581
    Preorder was up at Amazon but now taken down.
    August 4th release.
    My dads birthday. Neil Young is his favorite artist. 

    Birthday gift - check!
    The man they call my enemy. I've seen his eyes, he looks just like me - A mirror...
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 10,403
    Preorder was up at Amazon but now taken down.
    August 4th release.
    My dads birthday. Neil Young is his favorite artist. 

    Birthday gift - check!
    Awesome. NY was my Fathers favorite and the main reason why I became a fan.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 19,920
    Preorder was up at Amazon but now taken down.
    August 4th release.
    My dads birthday. Neil Young is his favorite artist. 

    Birthday gift - check!
    Lucky dad, good son!

    Mines 8/5 and Neil is one of my all-time favorites.  Might have to hint-hint to my wife!
    We're living on the edge of something big. It's a fantastic time in history to be alive.
    AMT, 1.25.15, 00:36 hrs.
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.
Sign In or Register to comment.