***The Official Boxing Thread**

HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
edited December 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
This may be the only post this thread every has, and I know it's nowhere near what it used to be, but are there seriously no boxing fans on here? The sport might be more than half crooked, with a lack of real fighters, but it's still better than watching two frat boys with too much testosterone rolling around in a cage, grabbing each others junk for 3 minutes. Here's to hoping that Miguel Cotto knocks that loudmouthed Mayweather on his ass tonight.
Anyone?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    I haven't watched a match since Lennox Lewis. It's either gone downhill or I've just lost interest.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,717
    I was a huge Lennox fan until his retirement and I've been an even bigger Mayweather fan since then. 5 years ago today Money dominated De LA Hoya and tonight he dominates Cotto.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    I was a huge Lennox fan until his retirement and I've been an even bigger Mayweather fan since then. 5 years ago today Money dominated De LA Hoya and tonight he dominates Cotto.

If by "dominate" you mean run, and then afterwards run his mouth then yes you are right ;)

the bad part about boxing is that Floyd (or any favorite) doesn't have to do much to win the fight. There is no way Cotto can win a decision tonght. He has to knock him out or he's already lost.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    fuck floyd mayweather :x
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    We had a thread going for a while with some good debates. Tonight should be fun.
  • troysp1troysp1 Posts: 412
    There are only a few fights and fighters left watch to see, this should be a good fight tonight.

As for boxing as a sport there needs to be a lot of regulation and change that creates 1 universal governing body and championship. There are to many titles and little known about each. At least when I was young there was the WBO, WBA, and IBF titles and if you held all 3 you were undisputed. Today who knows and that leads to lost interest. It can be fixed, but it has to hit rock bottom before it happens.

And finally for the statement about 2 fatties in a cage grabbing on junk, if that that is aimed at MMA you are just coming from an uneducated platform. MMA is dominating boxing and will catch up in the mainstream. Why? Because it is the closest thing to real you can get to. Why can boxers stand in a ring and through punches in bunches? No takedowns, no fear of being on the ground, and no need to keep posture/balance to avoid any other offense from the opponent. The fact of the matter is that if a boxer entered a cage they would be destroyed and that is all that matters.

The debate is the same as the DH in baseball.

RIP MCA - God love Pearl Jam - Get better Eddie Vedder we ant to see you in the fall - VOTE FOR THE BEST CANDIDATE IN THE NEXT ELECTION NO MATTER THE PARTY
    troysp1 wrote:
    There are only a few fights and fighters left watch to see, this should be a good fight tonight.

As for boxing as a sport there needs to be a lot of regulation and change that creates 1 universal governing body and championship. There are to many titles and little known about each. At least when I was young there was the WBO, WBA, and IBF titles and if you held all 3 you were undisputed. Today who knows and that leads to lost interest. It can be fixed, but it has to hit rock bottom before it happens.

wholeheartedly agree.
    troysp1 wrote:
    And finally for the statement about 2 fatties in a cage grabbing on junk, if that that is aimed at MMA you are just coming from an uneducated platform. MMA is dominating boxing and will catch up in the mainstream. Why? Because it is the closest thing to real you can get to. Why can boxers stand in a ring and through punches in bunches? No takedowns, no fear of being on the ground, and no need to keep posture/balance to avoid any other offense from the opponent. The fact of the matter is that if a boxer entered a cage they would be destroyed and that is all that matters.

If I want "real" I'll go watch 2 drunks roll around on the ground outside a bar. I'm not trying to start a "if a boxer fought an MMA fighter" who would win debate...it's clear, the mma fighter likely would, if there are no rules. But the argument of "the only reason boxers can stand in the ring and throw punches is because there are no takedowns, etc" is kinda like saying "the only reason a golfer can stand there and hit a ball perfectly down the fairway is because he doesn't have a steroid fueled lunatic charging at him trying to crush his nuts". It's 2 completely different things. There are a lot of things you couldn't do if the guy across from you was allowed to "take you down". However to me (and it's just my opinion), I don't see much skill in it. There is, I know that, but to be honest, I have no interest in that "skill". Just like I don't have any interest in the "skill" of making left turns really fast all day.
    Who's watching tonight?
    Knock out
    This ones boring so far
  • PJ88PJ88 Birthplace of the Toll House Cookie Posts: 1,074
    Heisenberg wrote:
    This may be the only post this thread every has, and I know it's nowhere near what it used to be, but are there seriously no boxing fans on here? The sport might be more than half crooked, with a lack of real fighters, but it's still better than watching two frat boys with too much testosterone rolling around in a cage, grabbing each others junk for 3 minutes. Here's to hoping that Miguel Cotto knocks that loudmouthed Mayweather on his ass tonight.
    Anyone?

Big boxing fan here. I go to Foxwoods a lot to see some fights. I also go with a buddy of mine to many amateur fights in and around Mass. I love it!
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Anyone?

I forgot in my last post to say that I would love to see Cotto knock Mayweather out. I am so sick of Mayweather's act. I know that he is good, but he is just too cocky. Someone needs to shut him down.
    Enjoying this one. Awesome compared to the last fight
    This kid is good, very disciplined
    Incredible, dude has heart. Just got his ass kicked for 12 rounds and stood in there fighting as much as he could. Good career, give it up
  • troysp1troysp1 Posts: 412
    Heisenberg wrote:
    troysp1 wrote:

wholeheartedly agree.
    troysp1 wrote:

If I want "real" I'll go watch 2 drunks roll around on the ground outside a bar. I'm not trying to start a "if a boxer fought an MMA fighter" who would win debate...it's clear, the mma fighter likely would, if there are no rules. But the argument of "the only reason boxers can stand in the ring and throw punches is because there are no takedowns, etc" is kinda like saying "the only reason a golfer can stand there and hit a ball perfectly down the fairway is because he doesn't have a steroid fueled lunatic charging at him trying to crush his nuts". It's 2 completely different things. There are a lot of things you couldn't do if the guy across from you was allowed to "take you down". However to me (and it's just my opinion), I don't see much skill in it. There is, I know that, but to be honest, I have no interest in that "skill". Just like I don't have any interest in the "skill" of making left turns really fast all day.

Heisenberg:

I appreciate your sentiment in both the golf analogy and skill statement. I love boxing and love MMA almost the same amount. They are just 2 completely different sports and I hope one day that Georges St. Pierre can make the same money as Mayweather, he deserves it.

My thoughts are if you take Ben Henderson or BJ Penn and you let them take on Mayweather right now, prime vs prime, the would destroy him. Now if they boxed him he would dominate them, but that is just based on the limited tactics allowed.

At the end of the day it is preference - some people hate Pearl Jam, I love them.

I appreciated people who keep it clean, debate, and understand it is just a sport and this is just a forum,

Take Care!
    Turning into a fight
    This is fun
    Floyd has this but this is as much as I remember seeing him challenged.
    Great fucking fight
    Definitely won, but I didn't see a 118 out there
    Larry merchant is an asshole
    I won't shell out $70 for Floyd and no bar in my shithole hometown had the fight so I will wait to watch the replay on HBO next weekend, but from all accounts, I hear Miguel held his own? Sad to hear that Sugar Shane is fading fast though. That guy is a class act and a helluva fighter, but when the time comes, the time comes. Hang 'em up Shane. Canelo is a badass though
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    so last night was the first fight i've watched since mike bit evander...have to say it was a pretty entertaining fight...thought for a while there that cotto might have won it if he had knocked floyd down at least once

but shit sure has changed in boxing...what the fuck is up with this?!? :? :fp:

scaled.php?tn=0&server=640&filename=hbjrvk.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

:nono:
    norm wrote:
    so last night was the first fight i've watched since mike bit evander...have to say it was a pretty entertaining fight...thought for a while there that cotto might have won it if he had knocked floyd down at least once

but shit sure has changed in boxing...what the fuck is up with this?!? :? :fp:

scaled.php?tn=0&server=640&filename=hbjrvk.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

:nono:

Just for this picture Mayweather needs to be stopped! :lol:
    Johnny Tapia. Not even sure what to say...Lived a life none of us will ever see and fought the same way.

RIP. I never say some bullshit that they are at peace or are in a better place because it's complete bullshit and a fairy tale, but in this guys case, perhaps he is.
    Paul Williams paralyzed. What a terrible weekend for boxing.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Paul Williams paralyzed. What a terrible weekend for boxing.

Very sad.
    I have a bad feeling Manny is gonna have major trouble with Bradley tonight.