Options

Tom Petty in Dallas last night WOW!!

red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
edited August 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
So, I saw my first Petty show last night, and it was fucking fantastic. Of course one real highlight and big suprise was Stevie Nicks appearing. I knew she was opening for him, but I though Seattle would be her last stop since Trey Anastesio is on board as opening act. Now Granted, Pearl jam is my favorite band EVER and they are still my number 1 live act, but I am just curious, and dumbfounded at how some of the people on this board could rip on Petty so hard, and some even leave without giving him a chance! All I can say is it was a missed opportunity to see two great bands. Petty played it all last night: Listen to her heart, I won't back down, free fallin, running down a dream, Mary janes last dance, dont come around here no more, You don't know how it feels, you wreck me. American girl, I need to know (stevie on lead vocal) Mystic eyes (van Morrison) Oh well (Fleetwood mac) I'm a man (the yardbirds), HANDLE WITH CARE (Traveling Wilburys) and more. The show was amazing. Mike cambell completely shreads on slide guitar. I think it would have been awesome to see pearl jam and Tom petty together, especially now that I know how great Tom is live. I just thought I'd share, and give Mr. Petty some credit where credit is due, and give him a positive review because I simply cannot even think of how those negative reviews can even be looked at on here Pure Blasphemy!!. Wow!! Such an amazing show
Trey was pretty good even though I didn't really get to heavy into that whole college radio jam band scene. It was nice to hear some farmhouse tunes though.
PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    red mos wrote:
    Now Granted, Pearl jam is my favorite band EVER and they are still my number 1 live act, but I am just curious, and dumbfounded at how some of the people on this board could rip on Petty so hard

My guess is that they've never seen a TP&HB concert. That, or they don't like acts (regardless of talent, hits, etc) that play pretty much the same setlist night in and night out. TP&HB do that. But if you're OK with that, they still put on one of the best good ol' American Rock n' Roll concerts out there.

I got some fairly decent vids of TP&HB w/ PJ in Denver. Page 3 has some vids of both bands on stage at the end of the show.

http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g63/PittGuy/Pearl%20Jam%20-%20Denver%202006%20-%20Pepsi%20Center/
  • Options
    drollydrolly Posts: 41
    red mos wrote:
    Petty played it all last night: Listen to her heart, I won't back down, free fallin, running down a dream, Mary janes last dance, dont come around here no more, You don't know how it feels, you wreck me. American girl.

Yeah... they play those EVERY night... :rolleyes:
    I always finish what I sta
  • Options
    krobbinzkrobbinz Posts: 187
    red mos wrote:
    So, I saw my first Petty show last night, and it was fucking fantastic. Of course one real highlight and big suprise was Stevie Nicks appearing. I knew she was opening for him, but I though Seattle would be her last stop since Trey Anastesio is on board as opening act. Now Granted, Pearl jam is my favorite band EVER and they are still my number 1 live act, but I am just curious, and dumbfounded at how some of the people on this board could rip on Petty so hard, and some even leave without giving him a chance! All I can say is it was a missed opportunity to see two great bands. Petty played it all last night: Listen to her heart, I won't back down, free fallin, running down a dream, Mary janes last dance, dont come around here no more, You don't know how it feels, you wreck me. American girl, I need to know (stevie on lead vocal) Mystic eyes (van Morrison) Oh well (Fleetwood mac) I'm a man (the yardbirds), HANDLE WITH CARE (Traveling Wilburys) and more. The show was amazing. Mike cambell completely shreads on slide guitar. I think it would have been awesome to see pearl jam and Tom petty together, especially now that I know how great Tom is live. I just thought I'd share, and give Mr. Petty some credit where credit is due, and give him a positive review because I simply cannot even think of how those negative reviews can even be looked at on here Pure Blasphemy!!. Wow!! Such an amazing show
    Trey was pretty good even though I didn't really get to heavy into that whole college radio jam band scene. It was nice to hear some farmhouse tunes though.

I would have to agree that there is NOTHING worng with seeing Tom Petty, in fact if I were given an oppertunity to see him again I would in a heart beat. But I think that the problem was the fact that Pearl Jam didnt even get to do an encore, and therefore there was no closure sorta speak.

Petty had a good show, the fact Pearl Jam opened was like going from a high energy band to listening to mozart. I am sure that some people could jam to both but thats not going to happen to often.
    East Troy 10/08/00 St. Paul 06/16/03 Chicago 5/17/06 St. Paul 6/26/06 St. Paul 6/27/06 Lollapalooza '07 Bonnaroo '08
    Chicago 8/23/09 Chicago 8/24/09 PJ 20 9/3/11 PJ 20 9/4/11 Milwaukee 10/20/14 Chicago 8/20/16 Chicago 8/22/16 Chicago 8/18/18 Chicago 8/20/18
  • Options
    thesheffthesheff Posts: 59
    I thought Petty was ok when I saw him in Milwaukee. The Heartbreakers I thought sounded great, but I thought Petty's voice was rather weak.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me
  • Options
    mpg82mpg82 Posts: 83
    Petty plays the same show every venue give or take a couple songs. Opens every show with Listen to her heart, goes into the hits, then goes into a bunch of extended jams for songs noone knows, then ends it with American Girl.
    6/26/98, 6/27/98, 06/13/99, 10/08/00, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/29/06, 6/30/06, 5/7/10
  • Options
    IshmaelIshmael Posts: 12
    I agree... Petty puts on an incredible show. His band is so powerful - just a wall of sound. I went to both St. Paul shows, and wisely wore ear plugs on night 2 - just for Petty. They were so loud.

Petty really is impressive.