Options

Billy Joel

Comments

• Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    I have a love/hate towards Billy

I love Billy cause obviously I'm from the island, so its a birthright to like him and all. I hate him cause he won't tour anymore and I feel he can still do it seeing as how Bruce and many others are still rocking.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506

I love Billy cause obviously I'm from the island, so its a birthright to like him and all. I hate him cause he won't tour anymore and I feel he can still do it seeing as how Bruce and many others are still rocking.

Bruce doesn't tour every year. Billy Joel just did a HUGE tour from the start of 2009 through the 1st quarter of 2010 that would make PJ blush in its hey day. And at the time, he said he'd do another tour, just needed a break.

I'm not sure why this board expects folks to tour constantly. Would you if you were in their position? The guy's 62 years old.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    Billy Joel has been one of my favorite musicians since I was a kid! Glad I'm not the only one! I just wish I could see him live.
  • Options
    Save MeSave Me Posts: 147

Bruce doesn't tour every year. Billy Joel just did a HUGE tour from the start of 2009 through the 1st quarter of 2010 that would make PJ blush in its hey day. And at the time, he said he'd do another tour, just needed a break.

I'm not sure why this board expects folks to tour constantly. Would you if you were in their position? The guy's 62 years old.

Billy toured w/Elton in 09/10, not solo. His last solo concert was the Shea shows after which he basically said I don't know how we can top those and this is probably it for me doing these types of major concerts. Last solo tour started in Jan 2006 and continued straight up to those amazing Shea shows in 08. Many of those Face 2 Face shows w/Elton got cancelled due to an Elton and then a Billy "illness".
    "The Wild is chasing after me. Hot on my trail won't leave me alone. All I can see is your blood right in front of me, and I can't kill The Wild." Me
  • Options
    riotgrl wrote:

I have a bootleg of that Sunrise show and you're right that crowd is stunned. Would have loved to be there because it was an amazing setlist!

riotgrl, I have the same boot. The show was amazing. It was Billy's first solo tour since the Millennium shows in 99/2000 so all us diehards had no idea what to expect. I was 10 rows back center and he blew everyone's mind that night w/the setlist. I know a lot of people who came looking for a hits show were dissapointed but I was on cloud 9. His voice was insane that night.
    "The Wild is chasing after me. Hot on my trail won't leave me alone. All I can see is your blood right in front of me, and I can't kill The Wild." Me
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    Save Me wrote:
    riotgrl wrote:

I have a bootleg of that Sunrise show and you're right that crowd is stunned. Would have loved to be there because it was an amazing setlist!

riotgrl, I have the same boot. The show was amazing. It was Billy's first solo tour since the Millennium shows in 99/2000 so all us diehards had no idea what to expect. I was 10 rows back center and he blew everyone's mind that night w/the setlist. I know a lot of people who came looking for a hits show were dissapointed but I was on cloud 9. His voice was insane that night.

Yes he was voice was just about perfect. I never listen to that boot though - really crappy quality - but I dig it out on occasion! I like the early 70s shows - they are so amazing and I am a superfan of all those early songs of his. You can't beat The Stranger but I've always had a soft spot for Cold Spring Harbor!
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    I'm a huge Billy Joel fan thanks to my dad. We would spend hours on the road heading to my grandmothers listening to "Turnstiles" and "Glass Houses." I would say he's the reason why the piano is my favorite instrument.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    I took piano lessons in high school and I would always ask my teacher to play Billy Joel. It was great.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    Billy Joel has a great back catalog of quality music. I consider him good comfort music, and I listen to him when I need a pick-me-up. That said, We Didn't Start the Fire has got to be my favourite of his.
  • Options
    EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506
    Billy Joel has a great back catalog of quality music. I consider him good comfort music, and I listen to him when I need a pick-me-up. That said, We Didn't Start the Fire has got to be my favourite of his.

I love that song, but if that's your favorite, you haven't dug deep enough. I mean that in the best way possible - there's more to uncover. And as always, I suggest starting at the beginning - Cold Spring Harbor (which was recorded incorrectly, but the distorted sound now somehow adds to the historical perspective). Enjoy!

And Eddie could learn something from the man -

"People who pay for your tickets, I don't think they want to hear who you're going to vote for and how you think they should vote."
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959

I love that song, but if that's your favorite, you haven't dug deep enough. I mean that in the best way possible - there's more to uncover. And as always, I suggest starting at the beginning - Cold Spring Harbor (which was recorded incorrectly, but the distorted sound now somehow adds to the historical perspective). Enjoy!

"People who pay for your tickets, I don't think they want to hear who you're going to vote for and how you think they should vote."

My buddy is a big Billy Joel fan and made me promise to listen to more of his stuff. I've got a bunch on my iPod but I don't know most of the non-hits by name.
  • Options
    Miami 2017 has always been one of my favorite Billy songs. His performance of that song at The Concert for New York City was incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThogWesU ... re=related
  • Options
    riotgrl wrote:
    Save Me wrote:
    riotgrl wrote:

Yes he was voice was just about perfect. I never listen to that boot though - really crappy quality - but I dig it out on occasion! I like the early 70s shows - they are so amazing and I am a superfan of all those early songs of his. You can't beat The Stranger but I've always had a soft spot for Cold Spring Harbor!

Not sure if you have the CW Post boot from like 76/77. It was right before The Stranger came out but he debuted a couple songs off it like Scenes and I think Only The Good. His voice was sick at this show. Lot of stuff from Turnstiles which always sounds better live. That's why one of my faves is Songs From The Attic. The best versions of Summer Highland/Miami 2017, I've Loved These Days & Say Goodbye To Hollywood.

Cold Spring Harbor, though sped up, still has great songs. Tomorrow Is Today, Everybody Loves You Now and of course She's Got A Way.
  • Options

Agreed. And then go on through Piano Man, Streetlife Serenade, Turnstiles, etc. That early stuff is so brilliant from a singer/songwriter perspective and then the change from Turnstiles, which he produced by himself, to The Stranger with Phil Ramone producing, is mind blowing. That album stretch from the Stranger through the Nylon Curtain rivals anybody's.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

Very cool. Love how Billy's always so modest.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Miami 2017 has always been one of my favorite Billy songs. His performance of that song at The Concert for New York City was incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThogWesU ... re=related

One of mine too. Took on a whole other meaning after 9/11. I agree that performance of it may be the best one. The fire helmet on the piano gets me every time. And the passion and defiance in his voice.
  • Options
    Save Me wrote:

Agreed. And then go on through Piano Man, Streetlife Serenade, Turnstiles, etc. That early stuff is so brilliant from a singer/songwriter perspective and then the change from Turnstiles, which he produced by himself, to The Stranger with Phil Ramone producing, is mind blowing. That album stretch from the Stranger through the Nylon Curtain rivals anybody's.
    Start that stretch with Turnstiles and I agree with you.
  • Options
    Save Me wrote:
    Save Me wrote:
    riotgrl wrote:

Not sure if you have the CW Post boot from like 76/77. It was right before The Stranger came out but he debuted a couple songs off it like Scenes and I think Only The Good. His voice was sick at this show. Lot of stuff from Turnstiles which always sounds better live. That's why one of my faves is Songs From The Attic. The best versions of Summer Highland/Miami 2017, I've Loved These Days & Say Goodbye To Hollywood.

Cold Spring Harbor, though sped up, still has great songs. Tomorrow Is Today, Everybody Loves You Now and of course She's Got A Way.

Tomorrow is Today is one of my fave songs - BJ or any artist! I love CW Post. I also listen to The Boarding House from '72, Bottom Line '76, and Live from Long Island. I was lucky enough that someone gave me a copy of Long Island on DVD. :D

I AM MINE
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940

Bruce has toured every year since 92 cept 94, 98 and 2006. Yes I would tour if I was 62 and could do it. You do it cause you love it and for the money and so younger generations can say they saw so and so. I love that Bruce is still touring and other bands like him are too. Bruce is what 62 and still kick any younger band ass live. Also DON'T ASSUME I'm being elitist, I'm far from it. I just wanna see the piano man solo once in my life and not with some crybaby bitch aka Elton John. Billy needs a "break" cause he can't handle it anymore. Look at him at the RNR 25th anniversary show and how much he packed it in. He looked way too fat and his voice sounded like shit on piano man and born to run. It was disgraceful considering just a few years back at shea his voice sounded really good.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options

Bruce has toured every year since 92 cept 94, 98 and 2006. Yes I would tour if I was 62 and could do it. You do it cause you love it and for the money and so younger generations can say they saw so and so. I love that Bruce is still touring and other bands like him are too. Bruce is what 62 and still kick any younger band ass live. Also DON'T ASSUME I'm being elitist, I'm far from it. I just wanna see the piano man solo once in my life and not with some crybaby bitch aka Elton John. Billy needs a "break" cause he can't handle it anymore. Look at him at the RNR 25th anniversary show and how much he packed it in. He looked way too fat and his voice sounded like shit on piano man and born to run. It was disgraceful considering just a few years back at shea his voice sounded really good.

Unfortunately, Billy has NOT taken care of himself. Bruce is a pretty healthy guy and it shows in that he still tours and still sounds great. Last time I heard Billy was with Elton and it sounded ok but not nearly as good as he was at the beginning of the '06 tour. But I think he was in pretty decent shape at that time. Quit smoking Bill!

I AM MINE
  • Options
    NarcisoNarciso Posts: 194
    Slipped on a curb in the road.
  • Options
    Billy's been doing his small "master classes" at various colleges this year where he takes questions from students and plays some stuff on the piano to illustrate how certain songs came about, etc. I've seen some clips from youtube and his voice sounds as good if not better than in 2006 and he's actually playing the songs in their original keys. I just think he doesn't have the desire anymore which is a huge shame for us fans. He's into his boats and his cycle shop in Oyster Bay.

Riotgrl, the Live from Long Island concert is one of, if not the best. I have it as well. Billy in his crazy prime, running all around the stage, etc. Love that show. That version of Pressure is my favorite. So good. That was right when the Nylon Curtain came out.
  • Options
    Save Me wrote:
    Billy's been doing his small "master classes" at various colleges this year where he takes questions from students and plays some stuff on the piano to illustrate how certain songs came about, etc. I've seen some clips from youtube and his voice sounds as good if not better than in 2006 and he's actually playing the songs in their original keys. I just think he doesn't have the desire anymore which is a huge shame for us fans. He's into his boats and his cycle shop in Oyster Bay.

Riotgrl, the Live from Long Island concert is one of, if not the best. I have it as well. Billy in his crazy prime, running all around the stage, etc. Love that show. That version of Pressure is my favorite. So good. That was right when the Nylon Curtain came out.

When was the last time he didn't need to transpose some of his catalog? Been quite a while on some things for certain. I guess I am hoping this plus the return of master class might mean a short tour this year :D A girl can hope!

I AM MINE
  • Options
    riotgrl wrote:
    Save Me wrote:
    When was the last time he didn't need to transpose some of his catalog? Been quite a while on some things for certain. I guess I am hoping this plus the return of master class might mean a short tour this year :D A girl can hope!

I'm hoping the same thing. I have a feeling he will at some point but it may be limited to the northeast area. I know he's going to do something at some point in NY but just don't know when. Luckily I'm in NY. :)
  • Options
    Save Me wrote:
    riotgrl wrote:
    Save Me wrote:

I'm hoping the same thing. I have a feeling he will at some point but it may be limited to the northeast area. I know he's going to do something at some point in NY but just don't know when. Luckily I'm in NY. :)
    If he does a small tour and does the northeast, I sure hope he comes to CT because he does have 22 sold out shows at the Civic Center (XL Center now).
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    If he does a small tour and does the northeast, I sure hope he comes to CT because he does have 22 sold out shows at the Civic Center (XL Center now).

He puts on great shows in Hartford. I've seen him there 3 times. The 2006 show I saw there was unbelievable. It was one of the shows where he had one of his roadies do Highway To Hell with Billy circling the stage on guitar, and the dude really nailed it.
  • Options
    Happy Birthday Billy!
  • Options
    Please tour! He is killing it right now.
  • Options
    djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    The man is an institution. I've seen him twice in my life. My first concert ever as well.

Wouldn't mind catching him again.

He's definitely rockin it tonight.
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)