Charlie Manson still alive....wow

124»

Comments

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    edited November 2017
    Almost everyone has to be brainwashed in order to go kill another person that isn’t presenting an immediate threat. 
    I’d agree with that.  I still maintain only a lunatic does such (doing the brainwashing or issuing the order), no matter his social status or income level.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    unsung said:
    Almost everyone has to be brainwashed in order to go kill another person that isn’t presenting an immediate threat. 
    I’d agree with that.  I still maintain only a lunatic does such (doing the brainwashing or issuing the order), no matter his social status or income level.
    Pretty loose definition of lunatic, but as long as you aren't trying to equate it to actual mental illness, then okay. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    On the contrary, these are actions that are deliberate and well thought out.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    People have the ability to make choices.  Recently, we watched the great film, "Judgment at Nuremberg."  That movie shows that there is a fairly thin line between doing what is right and being coerced to do what is wrong or ignore the wrong doing.  Nevertheless, I personally don't think you can remove all blame for the German people going along with what was happening under Hitler and I say this with do disrespect to the German people today-- it could have been another country as well.  I personally don't cut people any slack for people being "brainwashed" into doing evil.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited November 2017
    I don't think all murderers are lunatics. I think there can be a difference between being evil and being a lunatic.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't think all murders are lunatics. I think there can be a difference between being evil and being a lunatic.
    I guess you could say there are sane murderers but I think it depends on how you define "lunatic" or "sane".  I see "lunatic" as being an extreme form of insanity.  It still seems at least somewhat insane to me to murder someone.  
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

edited November 2017
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't think all murders are lunatics. I think there can be a difference between being evil and being a lunatic.
    I guess you could say there are sane murderers but I think it depends on how you define "lunatic" or "sane".  I see "lunatic" as being an extreme form of insanity.  It still seems at least somewhat insane to me to murder someone.  
    I consider an extreme form of insanity to be the only good excuse for murder. Extreme insanity, to me, is a complete break from reality and a true inability to understand the consequences of one's actions, or to have no real control over one's actions at all.
    I think a LOT of murders are simply committed by sane people who have shitty control of their temper or who are so self-centered they place their own desires and urges and goals above the lives of others. That isn't insanity. That's just being a shitty person.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I consider an extreme form of insanity to be the only good excuse for murder. Extreme insanity, to me, is a complete break from reality and a true inability to understand the consequences of one's actions, or to have no real control over one's actions at all.
    I think a LOT of murders are simply committed by sane people who have shitty control of their temper or who are so self-centered they place their own desires and urges and goals above the lives of others. That isn't insanity. That's just being a shitty person.

brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I guess you could say there are sane murderers but I think it depends on how you define "lunatic" or "sane".  I e see "lunatic" as being an extreme form of insanity.  It still seems at least somewhat insane to me to murder someone.  
    Agreed. The constant comments, in society in general and particularly in the media, suggesting that every violent incident must be due to mental illness just increases the stigma around those with genuine mental illness and provides an easy excuse for those who chose to act out in anger, for revenge, for ideological reasons, and the like. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,588
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I guess you could say there are sane murderers but I think it depends on how you define "lunatic" or "sane".  I e see "lunatic" as being an extreme form of insanity.  It still seems at least somewhat insane to me to murder someone.  
    Agreed. The constant comments, in society in general and particularly in the media, suggesting that every violent incident must be due to mental illness just increases the stigma around those with genuine mental illness and provides an easy excuse for those who chose to act out in anger, for revenge, for ideological reasons, and the like. 
    Murders are planned and others are spontaneous, but the minority are committed by someoned who could be diagnosed paychotic. 
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Murders are planned and others are spontaneous, but the minority are committed by someoned who could be diagnosed paychotic
     LOL.  I know that must have been a typo but surely there must be a clever use for the word "paychotic".

"I've been going to the same expensive counseling service for months now but, honestly, I don't feel any better.  I'm starting to feel more and more paychotic." 

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,588
    Ha! My bad - psychotic!
    Ha! My bad - psychotic!
    :smiley:

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    edited November 2017
    I didn't know the story around his murders until last night when I watched a documentary they screened on television here.
    Gee, didn't know about his music, the Beach Boys, and about Sharon Tate. Also, the White Album's influence.
    The guy was so aggressive in interviews.
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I didn't know the story around his murders until last night when I watched a documentary they screened on television here.
    Gee, didn't know about his music, the Beach Boys, and about Sharon Tate. Also, the White Album's influence.
    Helter skelter!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • I can 'kind of' understand some sap's vulnerability and falling under the control of some cult leader, but I cannot understand how idiots fell under the control of Rat Boy Charlie Manson to the point where they could mutilate people they didn't even know to incite a race war... that the blacks would win... but then not know what do after they won... and then seek the Manson family (who'd be hiding in the desert) for leadership.

Could you be any stupider?

Sadistic, moronic murdering bastards Atkins, Krenwinkle, Watson and Van Houten can rot in hell along with Charlie.

F**king stupid idiots. Savages.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    so I recall this being a big deal in the 80's when he was interviewed by Geraldo, but this tidbit I didn't know: @brianlux

In 2010, Manson recorded an album of acoustic pop songs with additional production by Henry Rollins, titled Completion. Only five copies were pressed; two belong to Rollins, while the other three are presumed to have been with Manson. The album remains unreleased.[69]
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

so I recall this being a big deal in the 80's when he was interviewed by Geraldo, but this tidbit I didn't know: @brianlux

In 2010, Manson recorded an album of acoustic pop songs with additional production by Henry Rollins, titled Completion. Only five copies were pressed; two belong to Rollins, while the other three are presumed to have been with Manson. The album remains unreleased.[69]
    Yes, I noticed that and I thought of Brian right away too! I'm thinking you know about this though Brian, being the fan that you are? Interesting... My instinct is to say that Rollins is being fucking creepy doing that, validating that fucker Manson. It doesn't seem acceptable somehow. I don't know what his motivations were though, or his artistic mindset in such a project, so I'll suspend judgment. 

OMG, I never knew this!  HENRY!!! What were you thinking????

I'm, guessing playing it backwards would be scary, haha! 

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,422
    brianlux said:

I recall him writing about in LA Weekly a while ago.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mcgruff10 said:
    Helter skelter!!
    lol @ him interpreting Blackbird as a race war song
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    I can 'kind of' understand some sap's vulnerability and falling under the control of some cult leader, but I cannot understand how idiots fell under the control of Rat Boy Charlie Manson to the point where they could mutilate people they didn't even know to incite a race war... that the blacks would win... but then not know what do after they won... and then seek the Manson family (who'd be hiding in the desert) for leadership.

Could you be any stupider?

Sadistic, moronic murdering bastards Atkins, Krenwinkle, Watson and Van Houten can rot in hell along with Charlie.

F**king stupid idiots. Savages.
    Yeah, I don't understand how someone can be so weak minded to murder on the request of a psychopath. 
    These women can suffer.
    brianlux said:

Wow wtf
    I've always respected Rollins, wtf was he thinking?
    I also never knew the Beach Boys recorded a Manson song without crediting him.
    In this documentary Mike Love says that he didn't want to take part in a group sex session with Dennis Wilson and the Manson family and he instead chose to have a shower. Whilst in the shower Manson walked in and aggressively confronted him saying that he "must not leave the party". Scary fucker.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    Well, OK, I can see a young Rollins doing this and liking the "intense and heavy" feeling of being involved with Manson.  I kind of doubt he would do the same today but who knows.

What I want to know is, how is it that a person shows concern for the environment (a subject of some of Manson's songs), yet orchestrated incredibly barbaric murders and put swastikas on his head and his letters?

brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Well, OK, I can see a young Rollins doing this and liking the "intense and heavy" feeling of being involved with Manson.  I kind of doubt he would do the same today but who knows.

What I want to know is, how is it that a person shows concern for the environment (a subject of some of Manson's songs), yet orchestrated incredibly barbaric murders and put swastikas on his head and his letters?
    people are weird like that.