VH-1 Top 100 Songs of the 90's

lance_graylance_gray Posts: 166
edited December 2007 in The Porch
Sure, it's another list of greatness (?). But, PJ made the top 10 with Jeremy. There are a lot of other songs on the list that take me back to the good ol' days when I didn't have a mortgage and bills.

http://www.stereogum.com/archives/shit-list/vh1s-greatest-songs-of-the-90s-not-enough-pavement.html#more
Dallas '98 - Dallas '00 - OKC '03 - Dallas '03

www.myspace.com/lance_gray

www.bonafidedarling.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    I'm not satisfied. Smells Like Teen Spirit on first place? They are joking! Sorry... i forget..."voice of the generation" (Kurt). Backstreet Boys...
    I would rather PJ wasn't be there at all. It's difficult to put all these songs (so many kinds of music) in one place. How can we compare "Vision of Love" with "Enter Sandman"?
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • halszka123 wrote:
    I'm not satisfied. Smells Like Teen Spirit on first place? They are joking! Sorry... i forget..."voice of the generation" (Kurt). Backstreet Boys...
    I would rather PJ wasn't be there at all. It's difficult to put all these songs (so many kinds of music) in one place. How can we compare "Vision of Love" with "Enter Sandman"?

Dammit. That's what I was going to say.

Backstreet Boys came third. THIRD!
  • SBC03SBC03 Posts: 502
    rico fuckin suave????
    See this needle...a see my hand...
    Drop drop dropping it down...oh so gently...
    Well here it comes...I touch the plane...
    Turn me up...won't turn you away...
  • Um, well, these are songs of the 90's. Whether you like it or not Mariah Carey had the same impact as Metallica. "Vision of Love" was her breakout hit as was "Enter Sandman." Yeah, they are two very different styles, but, both were huge hits for those performers. And besides, that is basically a hit list anyway. So, take it for what you will.

I do agree that "Rico Suave" should not be on there and should be replaced by the Proclaimers. I mean, you couldn't get away from that song in the summer of '95.

But, "Teen Spirit" is the song of the 90's. It's definitely not "OPP" or "I Will Always Love You".

www.bonafidedarling.com
  • haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    actually jeremy didnt even make the top 10...
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • worst list ever.
    Shows:
    San Diego 2003
    Grand Rapids 2004
    Grand Rapids 2006
    Detroit 2006
    Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."
  • No, it's not actually that bad.

www.bonafidedarling.com
  • doogdoog Posts: 59
    The fact that 'Sir Mix a lot's' 'baby got back' is Number 6 tells you.... well.... pretty much everything you need to know about this list.

Are they going to have a 5 episode series of shows that count down these 100? Or has it already aired and i missed it? Cause I love when all the D-list 'celebrities' come on to rag on how EVERYONE ELSE sucks in the world of entertainment! :)
  • ViggoViggo Posts: 274
    If you look at popularity than Smells Like Teen Spirit is of course numbero uno.

I guess the list is correct if you look at it that way...
    It's okay, It's okay
    You don't have to run and hide away
    It's okay, it's okay
    I love you anyway
    2007: Pearl Jam concert in Düsseldorf (21. June)
    2007: Chris Cornell concert in Kristiansand (2. July)
    2007: The Who concert in Kristiansand (4. July)
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,139
    SBC03 wrote:
    rico fuckin suave????

I know dude he got robed only 100th! :mad: :p
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    my heart will go on def. should have been higher than 21
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Where the fuck are Take That?!?
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
    Viggo wrote:
    If you look at popularity than Smells Like Teen Spirit is of course numbero uno.

I guess the list is correct if you look at it that way...
    Think, u are right. i should look at it this way

Where the fuck are Take That?!?
    Oh, sure! I forgot! They actualy better than Backstreet Boys.

and this Sir Mix a lot's' and Rico Suave - i don't enen hear about them..
    halszka123@op.pl
    halszka123 wrote:
    and Rico Suave - i don't enen hear about them..

Hey show some respect :mad: .......can you not appreciate the depth and emotion in the lyrics of Rico Sauve? :p
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
    Sorry, but i am serious. I first hear! Really! Ask more peaople in poland, i wonder how many U find , that they would know who are He /they... With all my respect, believe me
    halszka123@op.pl
  • ViggoViggo Posts: 274
    halszka123 wrote:
    Think, u are right. i should look at it this way

Oh, sure! I forgot! They actualy better than Backstreet Boys.

and this Sir Mix a lot's' and Rico Suave - i don't enen hear about them..

If they based the list on guys opinion, would that make you happy? Ignore the fucking list if you don't like it.

There gonna be a lot of this list my friends..!
    It's okay, It's okay
    You don't have to run and hide away
    It's okay, it's okay
    I love you anyway
    2007: Pearl Jam concert in Düsseldorf (21. June)
    2007: Chris Cornell concert in Kristiansand (2. July)
    2007: The Who concert in Kristiansand (4. July)
  • i like Rico Suave, but Wierd Al's Burrito Grande is overall a more solid song and deserves some love on the list.
  • webberf1webberf1 Posts: 160
    It's kinda dumb how they only allow 1 song per artist
    halszka123 wrote:
    Sorry, but i am serious. I first hear! Really! Ask more peaople in poland, i wonder how many U find , that they would know who are He /they... With all my respect, believe me

Hey no worries I didn't realize English was not your first language. I was just trying to have some fun with perhaps one of the most monotonous / boring songs of all time :)
  • SBC03SBC03 Posts: 502
    Seguro que han oído que yo soy educado
    Soy un caballerito un chico bien portado
    Un joven responsible y siempre bien vestido
    Yo no se quien ha mentido

I don't drink or smoke ain't into dope
    Won't try no coke, ask me how I do it, I cope
    My only addiction has to do with the female species
    I eat 'em raw like sushi

No me gustan ternos, mi estilo es moderno
    Si me enterno, you me enfermo
    Mi apariencia es dura, vivo en la locura
    No me vengan con ternuras

So please don't judge a book by its cover
    There's more to being a latin lover
    You got to know how to deal with a woman
    That won't let go
    The price you pay for being a gigolo

There's not a woman that can handle
    A man like me
    That's why I juggle two or three
    I ain't one to commit, you can omit that bit
    You pop the question that's it
    Haber uno, dos, tres, cuatro mujeres
    Y la situaci?all?no muere
    No es un delito calmo mi apetito
    Con un llanto o un grito

So again don't let my lyrics mislead you
    I don't love you but I need you
    Would you rather have me lie
    Take a piece of your pie and say bye
    Or be honest and rub your thighs

Well, it's ten o'clock and I'm two hours late
    I never said I was a prompt date
    But you kept persisting that I meet your parents
    Huh, they're going to love my appearance

Ding dong el timbre suena
    Tu madre abre, que vieja mas buena
    Le digo ¡Hola! Pero no para bola
    Que se ha creido vieja chola

Go and serve the food mom
    Que tengo ambre
    If you don't hurry, me va a dar un calambre
    Y usted señor? Why's your chin on the floor?
    Sierra la boca por favor

What's this amor, these little huevos?
    Esto s?que yo no pruebo

I'm used to good ol' fashioned
    Homestyle Spanish cooking
    If i try that I'll be puking
    Well it's been a pleasure but we got to go
    Regresaremos temprano
    Cinco, seis, o siete de la mañana
    Su hija esta en buenas manos
    See this needle...a see my hand...
    Drop drop dropping it down...oh so gently...
    Well here it comes...I touch the plane...
    Turn me up...won't turn you away...
  • hahahaha backstreet boys came in third hahahahaha

jeremy should have been at least in the top 5.
  • It's VH1. End of story......................
    when you get confused just listen to the music play........

"You damn well can't lick the system,but you can sure give it a good fondeling."-sleazy estate man(Hugh Laurie on A bit of Fry and Laurie)

"Judas Priest on a two stroke moped!"(Stephen Fry)
  • The list was based on popularity among fake people. Go figure. Vanilla Ice is one of the people saying "this is an awesome song".

It's just a list of 90s pop culture songs, and songs that they actually made videos for.

I can guarantee that if different people voted, like true bands from the era, or previous eras, or anyone but plastic people, the list would have been very different.
    Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
  • I watched some of this today. It was a fun watch, but I thought one thing was screwy. I only saw the top 25 or so, but I don't think there was one band/artist that had two videos in the top 25. You're telling me there wasn't one band that had 2 or more videos that were the best of the decade? That and the Backdoor Boys being #3. I did like when they would do a where are they now type feature on a lot of the boyband types, and their current gig was "started a family".....
  • Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
    Where the fuck were the Smashing Pumpkins and the Foo Fighters?
  • I'm more pissed at Alice being #50...WHAT THE FUCK?!
  • chikevinchikevin Posts: 421
    shell bell wrote:
    It's VH1. End of story......................
    ummmm...while the label may have wanted it, at least they threw PJ a bone and gave them a 'storytellers'.
    any chance VH1 went out searching for a PJ storytellers? me thinks...no.

so...it's a stupid list. at least give them that they showed some respect.
  • i find these lists entertaining though stupid.
    i think they should have either titled it 100 most played songs of the 90s, or broken it down into genres.
    i also wish they only had 10 or so people doing all the commentary. That way you'd get some real opinion, because people would like some songs and dislike others. As it is now, every song is just called great b/c they only interview people willing to say that. But I'm dumb enough to watch it, so i guess i can't really complain.
  • halszka123 wrote:

Ask any professional musician out there and they will flat say 'yea duh, of course Nirvana was the best band of the 90's'. This list includes Paul McCartney, Bruce Springsteen, Bono, Eddie Vedder, even Puff Daddy. I don't have time to find all the quotes for you but they have all been on record saying Kurt was the man and Nirvana are indeed the best of the 90's. For the record I happen to think Nirvana and PJ are 2 of the best 4 bands ever along with Zeppelin and the Beatles.
  • lance_gray wrote:
    Sure, it's another list of greatness (?). But, PJ made the top 10 with Jeremy. There are a lot of other songs on the list that take me back to the good ol' days when I didn't have a mortgage and bills.

http://www.stereogum.com/archives/shit-list/vh1s-greatest-songs-of-the-90s-not-enough-pavement.html#more

Lol A LOT of you will disagree with me on this...

But I'm surprised "Glorified G" didn't make that list (it wasn't even a hit...), because I always thought it was the best damn song of the 90's. Just the way the song is made up and mixed is priceless...