Options

I just shed a tear - proud father

Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
edited July 2015 in All Encompassing Trip
I'm in the basement folding laundry, cleaning up playing some tunes.

My oldest comes downstairs starts playing Mario Kart on the wii. 5:15 from The Who comes on...he says "hey dad, this song rocks"

I had to stop what I was doing and hug him. "Yes son, this does rock". :lol:

He's 6 in a month.
I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
Post edited by Empty Glass on
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    :thumbup:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305

My oldest comes downstairs starts playing Mario Kart on the wii. 5:15 from The Who comes on...he says "hey dad, this song rocks"

He's 6 in a month.
    You are raising your son right.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options

He's 6 in a month.

:lol: we'll see tomorrow when the girl from the Fresh Beats Band comes on the Disney channel. She may still win him over
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,711

He's 6 in a month.
    Here, here! :thumbup:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    And some say pride is a sin.

Sweetness!
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    8-)
  • Options
    CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    Kids are fuckin awesome and full of surprise.. my nephew claims STP is his favorite band, he turned 6 yesterday..

He knows all the words to "the suit that you wear".. I love when he sings it!!
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    Another one for your kid, Empty Glass. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmowtt9vhLY
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Speaking of The Who, I have a Who CD question. I have a decent selection of Who on vinyl but none of CD. I've read various reviews of some classic Who albums- Who Sell out and Live at Leeds in particular- and reading these has made choice difficult. The 1995 remasters are supposed to be good but their earlier CD's thus lower sampling rate thus more harsh/less warm. The 2001 remasters are said to have better sound but poorer remastering.

So I'm wondering what some of you Who fans think and know of these different formats. Recommendations?

Thanks.

• Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,469
    Cool :thumbup:
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    my oldest daughter has just turned 7, i just gave her my wifes old 2gb mp3 player, and put on a few disney princess albums, but she gave it back to me, and asked if i could take it off and put on some of my music.

and back to the OP's post... that is cool when that happens, it makes you feel a little pround,
    I always stated, my girls can grow up to listen to what they want, but you always secretly wish for them to like rock music.
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539

He's 6 in a month.

:lol: we'll see tomorrow when the girl from the Fresh Beats Band comes on the Disney channel. She may still win him over

Fuck Twist. And the new Marina sucks.
  • Options

Fuck Twist. And the new Marina sucks.

:lol::lol:

My boy doesn't know any better
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    brianlux wrote:
    Speaking of The Who, I have a Who CD question. I have a decent selection of Who on vinyl but none of CD. I've read various reviews of some classic Who albums- Who Sell out and Live at Leeds in particular- and reading these has made choice difficult. The 1995 remasters are supposed to be good but their earlier CD's thus lower sampling rate thus more harsh/less warm. The 2001 remasters are said to have better sound but poorer remastering.

So I'm wondering what some of you Who fans think and know of these different formats. Recommendations?

Thanks.
    OK, without hijacking the thread to much . . . :lol:

First as a long time Who fan (since '67!), I will briefly rant. The Who are just terrible about re-releasing their stuff in different formats so that if you keep trying to buy the "definitive" version, you end up with a lot of CDs and vinyl. Take Live at Leeds, undisputedly one of their best. I have the original LP. Then I bought the CD. Then they released an extended version in 1995, with 8 additional songs. Then in 2001 came the Deluxe Edition, with the entire concert albeit slightly out of order (it's 2 discs, with Tommy on the second disc--at the actual concert Tommy was performed after A Quick One and followed by Summertime Blues). Then in 2010 comes the 40th anniversary edition, with the original LP AND the deluxe edition CD, plus another show. Do I have all of the above? Hell yes, but it gets a little odd having 5 or 6 versions of the same album.

Similar with Who's Next. The earliest CD is definitely inferior. The 1995 release is very good and includes bonus tracks that you won't find on the deluxe edition from 2003. But the deluxe edition has a second disc featuring a 1971 show at the Young Vic where songs from the album were first performed. Take your pic, both of these versions of Who's Next are worth having. The Young Vic performance was a much beloved bootleg before being released.

The new version of Quad--I can't help you with that one. I've heard mixed reactions from other Wholies and so I haven't bought it yet.

Rant over--I would generally say that yes, the 95 versions are better but don't completely rule out the later ones, which often contain previously unreleased material. Any time you can get new stuff from the Moon era is a treasure if you're a Who fan.

Don't even ask me about the numerous videos out there, especially bootlegs. That's where the hardcore fans debate endlessly about the best version. Is the DVD of Isle of Wight better than the last VHS version, which was inferior to the early video? The DVD of the Chicago 1979 show is great, but why did they leave off tracks that you can find on the original video? And anyway, the Betamax version is the best! See what I mean?

I don't know if any of this helps. I guess you could say PJ fans buy lots of memorabilia, Who fans buy lots of recordings. :lol:
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    :clap::clap: My dad raised me on The Who, his favorite band from his youth. I've loved them since first listen at 2 years old, and they remain one of my favorite bands of all time! Can't thank my dad enough for introducing me to them. I bet your son will say the same in a few years!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855

He's 6 in a month.
    this is awesome :D

the love of music ... a great gift from parent to child
    lasts a lifetime,
    long after you the parent are gone the child will feel you live on in the music
  • Options
    You're an awesome Dad!!
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    Son had some friends from his kindergarten class spend the day with us today. Needless to say, I need a break now that they left. Head to the basement for a few beers and some Dylan. Dude comes downstairs "this isn't the rockin' song from last night" :lol:

Sorry kid, I need to chill Dylan / The Band tonight.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited February 2012
    I just held Empty Glass on vinyl in my hands but was too rushed to buy it. I'm sure that the place that was selling it was charging 50 cents or a buck or something. Gotta go back tomorrow.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind wrote:
    I just held Empy Glass on vinyl in my hands but was too rushed to buy it. I'm sure that the place that was selling it was charging 50 cents or a buck or something. Gotta go back tomorrow.

Yes you do and at that price you can't lose - if it's in decent shape
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    brianlux wrote:

Thanks.

The new version of Quad--I can't help you with that one. I've heard mixed reactions from other Wholies and so I haven't bought it yet.

:lol:

Can't really add much because you did a great job... But get the new Quad. Especially if you have the sound system to appreciate the DVD. I think this is where a lot of mixed reviews come in. They only did half the album. I do think they picked the songs that would benefit the most. But I'm sure at some point they'll put out another version with the entire music DVD. :lol: The CDs are also an improvement. Again, stereo makes a difference. Plus, the outtake discs are cool. I had some of it on a boot from back in the day, but still good stuff.

Quad is my uncontested favorite album of all time.

To get back on track, my 12 year old just came up to me the other day and asked if we could load Quad up on his iPod......
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995

He's 6 in a month.

Nice! :D My stepdad introduced me to the Who, Pink Floyd, Zep, and the Stones around the same age as your son...and I loved (still do of course) all of it. :D
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165

He's 6 in a month.
    That's so awesome, Jeremy! Stories like these make having kids sound less daunting. :D Happy Sunday!
  • Options

Can't really add much because you did a great job... But get the new Quad. Especially if you have the sound system to appreciate the DVD. I think this is where a lot of mixed reviews come in. They only did half the album. I do think they picked the songs that would benefit the most. But I'm sure at some point they'll put out another version with the entire music DVD. :lol: The CDs are also an improvement. Again, stereo makes a difference. Plus, the outtake discs are cool. I had some of it on a boot from back in the day, but still good stuff.

To get back on track, my 12 year old just came up to me the other day and asked if we could load Quad up on his iPod......
    Thanks for the suggestion. I really love Quad and have been pretty close to buying the new one so I expect I will. And I agree, they will almost surely put out yet another version and I will buy that one too. :lol:
  • Options

Thanks for the suggestion. I really love Quad and have been pretty close to buying the new one so I expect I will. And I agree, they will almost surely put out yet another version and I will buy that one too. :lol:

I generally do not buy reissues. Don't see the need (and with 500+ CDs and the rate of reissue, it would be quite expensive). This ones worth it. The book is cool, too if you get super deluxe. Theres actually a day by day recording diary among other stuff. Pete really goes into detail on how he developed this. There's also some cool stills from the movie and locations (mics over ocean for sea sound effects) in the book. I would think a Who Princess (or Prince) would need to have it.

And as I said, if you have a DVD audio player, the sound on that disc is ridiculous. Imagine the sea just engulfing you. And the quad parts are all around you. Phenomenal.
  • Options
    I generally do not buy reissues. Don't see the need (and with 500+ CDs and the rate of reissue, it would be quite expensive). This ones worth it. The book is cool, too if you get super deluxe. Theres actually a day by day recording diary among other stuff. Pete really goes into detail on how he developed this. There's also some cool stills from the movie and locations (mics over ocean for sea sound effects) in the book. I would think a Who Princess (or Prince) would need to have it.

And as I said, if you have a DVD audio player, the sound on that disc is ridiculous. Imagine the sea just engulfing you. And the quad parts are all around you. Phenomenal.
    I'll admit it was uncharacteristic of me not to buy it. (But I'd also thought my prince might get it for me for Christmas. :think: ) I should have disregarded the bitchfest around it that you find on Who boards. Wholies can be a surly lot. :lol: Time for me to start shopping.

Quad really is Pete's masterpiece. When I've had a bad day, a sure cure is to crank up Quad. :thumbup:
  • Options
    I should have disregarded the bitchfest around it that you find on Who boards. Wholies can be a surly lot. :lol: Time for me to start shopping.

Quad really is Pete's masterpiece.

Yeah. It's just The Who's fan board where fans can be needlessly overly critical of the band putting stuff out for the fans. That would never happen around these parts. :roll: :mrgreen:
  • Options
    I should have disregarded the bitchfest around it that you find on Who boards. Wholies can be a surly lot. :lol: Time for me to start shopping.

Yeah. It's just The Who's fan board where fans can be needlessly overly critical of the band putting stuff out for the fans. That would never happen around these parts. :roll: :mrgreen:
    Edson, that's why you need to spend more time on AMT where there's never a harsh work or criticism spoken. (I'm practicing irony- next week: hyperbole. :lol: )

Oh, and thanks for the tips re Quad , the album that inspired my to buy a scooter around 1971... only I nearly killed myself on it a few time... :o

• Options
    brianlux wrote:

Edson, that's why you need to spend more time on AMT where there's never a harsh work or criticism spoken. (I'm practicing irony- next week: hyperbole. :lol: )

Oh, and thanks for the tips re Quad , the album that inspired my to buy a scooter around 1971... only I nearly killed myself on it a few time... :o

I know! AMT - Home on the Range - seldom is heard a discouraging word!

Dr Jimmy just came on the rotation!

Scooters can be dangerous if you're not trained properly. :o
  • Options

This made me laugh!

I love this board tho. None of the Who boards are as fun as this one. (Just my opinion, other Wholies! :shifty: :mrgreen:)