Options

G Love & Special Sauce

Citizen ZackCitizen Zack Posts: 1,763
edited November 2012 in Other Music
I saw G Love & Special Sauce at the House of Blues in Houston last night and it was a great show. I've seen him a couple of times before, but this was the first since 2004. That guy has so much energy and is such a dynamic performer. Never seen anyone play the harmonica like he does. If you haven't seen him before, I'd highly recommend it. His concerts are cheap ($20-$25) and you definitely get what you pay for. He's got such a likeable stage presence, so his shows are a ton of fun.

He played a couple of songs off Fixin' To Die, his newest record, but played a ton of his funkier, funny older stuff too. He's touring all over the country right now, so go check him out if he comes your way.
"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." - Thoreau

No time to be void, or save up on life, you've got to spend it all
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Hell yes, couldnt agree more. He usually rolls through town about once or twice a year, and I always make a point to hit up his shows if I can. Seen him about 5 or 6 times now. A guaranteed good time. The dude has a lot of soul. I did miss his show here last week cuz I was sick and pissed that I didnt get a chance to hear some tunes off the newer album.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    Hell yes, couldnt agree more. He usually rolls through town about once or twice a year, and I always make a point to hit up his shows if I can. Seen him about 5 or 6 times now. A guaranteed good time. The dude has a lot of soul. I did miss his show here last week cuz I was sick and pissed that I didnt get a chance to hear some tunes off the newer album.

He only played a couple of songs off the new record, but that was a solo record and he's touring with his band right now. They did Milk & Sugar and closed with a killer, extended version of 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover. Those are the only two I recall from the new record. They did a kick ass version of Cash's Folsom Prison Blues too.
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." - Thoreau

• Options
    I'm going to see G Love in March when they come through Minneapolis. I can't wait. It's been a long time since I've seen him live. So, I am very excited. Glad to hear you enjoyed the show!
    1991-11-30 St. Paul, MN 1992-08-28 St. Paul, MN 1998-06-30 Minneapolis, MN 2000-10-08 East Troy, WI 2003-06-16 St. Paul, MN 2006-06-26 St. Paul, MN 2006-06-27 St. Paul, MN 2006-07-07 San Diego, CA 2007-08-05 Chicago, IL 2008-06-24 New York, NY 2009-08-23 Chicago, IL 2009-08-24 Chicago, IL 2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis, MN 2011-09-03 PJ20 East Troy, WI 2011-09-04 PJ20 East Troy, WI 2013-07-19 Wrigley Chicago, IL 2014-10-19 St. Paul, MN
  • Options
    I'm going to see G Love in March when they come through Minneapolis. I can't wait. It's been a long time since I've seen him live. So, I am very excited. Glad to hear you enjoyed the show!

Awesome, enjoy! He's still playing with that same energy and enthusiasm as his early days. One of the best perfomers around.

• Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    I saw him once or twice up in Gainesville about 10 years ago. Great shows...and I also thought he was cool for stopping in the middle of a song (a festival show), everybody thought something went wrong, and he said something like 'sorry for the interruption, but I have to draw all of your attention to this amazing sunset going on over here!'...then he picked the song up where he left off. :)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
    He's a super nice and very knowledgeable guy too. I was lucky enough to interview him once and the guy couldn't have been more accommodating (so much so that he played "Fatman" per my request later that night). The things that guy knows about the history of the blues blew my mind.
  • Options
    Heisenberg wrote:
    He's a super nice and very knowledgeable guy too. I was lucky enough to interview him once and the guy couldn't have been more accommodating (so much so that he played "Fatman" per my request later that night). The things that guy knows about the history of the blues blew my mind.

That's awesome. What's the story behind this - how/why did you get to interview him? He talked about blues more than once on stage during the show the other night, and even played an extended blues riff at one point.

At his merch table, they said the first 50 purchases would get to meet him. I wanted to do it, but it was a meet and greet with 50+ people after the show (after clean up, etc). It was a Thursday night and the alarm was set for 5 am Friday so we passed on it. Cool to hear he's a nice guy - he comes across as very likable for sure.

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
    Heisenberg wrote:

That's awesome. What's the story behind this - how/why did you get to interview him? He talked about blues more than once on stage during the show the other night, and even played an extended blues riff at one point.

At his merch table, they said the first 50 purchases would get to meet him. I wanted to do it, but it was a meet and greet with 50+ people after the show (after clean up, etc). It was a Thursday night and the alarm was set for 5 am Friday so we passed on it. Cool to hear he's a nice guy - he comes across as very likable for sure.

I work in video and did some work for a concert promoter a couple years ago. We shot a 1 on 1 interview with him. I can't remember how it started exactly, but next thing I knew, he was going off about all these old local blues guys from Philly. I just nodded and and smiled. :lol:
    He was a super nice guy though and hung around to chat for like 20 minutes after the cameras stopped rolling.
  • Options
    Heisenberg wrote:
    I work in video and did some work for a concert promoter a couple years ago. We shot a 1 on 1 interview with him. I can't remember how it started exactly, but next thing I knew, he was going off about all these old local blues guys from Philly. I just nodded and and smiled. :lol:
    He was a super nice guy though and hung around to chat for like 20 minutes after the cameras stopped rolling.

Very cool. :thumbup:

• Options
    Heisenberg wrote:

My friends and I did the meet and greet with G. Love the last time he came to Madison and it actually went really well. It was only a few minutes after the show was over and he came out onto the floor while the roadies were tearing down the stage. He talked and took pics with everyone that wanted to. He couldn't have been cooler to the fans. I chatted with him a little bit about John Hammond, jr and when we were done, he shook my hand, gave me a bro-hug and said "thanks for comin'".

I'll be going again in March when he come through Milwaukee. He is a great showman and I like that he always plays shit from his whole catalog, as well as covers from the Beatles, to Freddie King, to the Sanford and Son theme. :lol:

One time when we saw him, Wash from PJ played during his pre-show playlist. I thought that was pretty sweet. :D
    "In certain trying circumstances...profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I think they're coming to SLC. 8-)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    My friends and I did the meet and greet with G. Love the last time he came to Madison and it actually went really well. It was only a few minutes after the show was over and he came out onto the floor while the roadies were tearing down the stage. He talked and took pics with everyone that wanted to. He couldn't have been cooler to the fans. I chatted with him a little bit about John Hammond, jr and when we were done, he shook my hand, gave me a bro-hug and said "thanks for comin'".

I'll be going again in March when he come through Milwaukee. He is a great showman and I like that he always plays shit from his whole catalog, as well as covers from the Beatles, to Freddie King, to the Sanford and Son theme. :lol:

One time when we saw him, Wash from PJ played during his pre-show playlist. I thought that was pretty sweet. :D

Cool story. I really wish we could have done the meet and greet. Would have loved just to shake his hand and tell him the show was great and maybe hear him tell a couple of stories. But unfortuately it was a weeknight show and my wife and I are both teachers who had to be up incredibly early the next day. Hopefully the next time he comes around will be on a weekend.

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,278
    I've only seen G Love once, at Lollapalooza in 2007, a great set in the afternoon sun. I met him after his set, he's such a nice guy! He was in the signing tent but it wasn't like "Hi there", sign the cd and out. He spent a few minutes chatting to everybody and thanking them for taking the time to come to see him.

He asked me what I thought of his set and whether there was anything that I wanted him to play that he didn't - that put me on the spot! It was like "So, you liked the show... how could I have done it better for you?" Definitely one of the most down to earth singers I've ever met
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options

• Options
    They are def one of the better live acts around. When I toured, they were one of the opening bands for us. GREAT guys, and their crew is top notch too. Garret is truly appreciative of his fans and the Sauce is too. I've got to know him and Houseman (drummer) pretty well, and whenever they come close to Columbus or Cleveland, always hook me up for the shows and hang out afterwards. Down to earth guys, love to play their music and are for real....if you have a chance to see them, DO IT!
    "I am myself, like you somehow"
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    I just found out they are playing here in south Florida this saturday. awesome.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    I just found out they are playing here in south Florida this saturday. awesome.

Go if you can! You won't regret it. He puts on a really fun show.

• Options
    Another tidbit that I thought was interesting was that in last months Rolling Stone cover story about the Black Keys, Dan Auerbach actually says that he was a big G. Love fan when he was in high school. He says he liked G's fingerpicking style of guitar playing. I think you can definitely hear some similarities in Garrett and Dan's guitar playing. More so in their earlier albums than now, though.
    "In certain trying circumstances...profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    g is playing a small venue near danbury. wondering if I should go.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    https://youtu.be/pk9-28HgxfE - going tomorrow :)
  • Options
    63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    He's the man.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,005
    I'm going to see them this Saturday for the first time. I've been a fan since his solo album, Fixin' To Die. I'm hoping (but not expecting) him to play some songs off that album. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1