Options

The tape traders of old, lets catch up thread

hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,868
edited January 2012 in The Porch
Was reading through an old address book and saw some real old names I have not seen in years from the tape trading days. Our PJ20 meetup was a huge failure, I met one (Chris Doerr). So in honor of the past post some old buddies and post what the hell you are up to these days. My list
Luke Adolph
Rick Bosso
Jeremy Dummer (UK)
Brad Halvorsen
Mark Senderak (kingsneech)
Rick Posey
Carl Sylvester
Gavin Connaty

I Mike Freitag (h2i, hardtoimagine and hrd2imgn) am a Junior High Art Teacher and live in Illinois. Just married about a year and a half ago, and have a little jammer on the way. I attended Purdue University where the whole obsession began, and moved from town to town in Indiana and Illinois back in the day.

I hope all of you are doing well, as I think the trading community is really one of the main reasons this band has such a fanatical following, and tight easy to get along with fanbase.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I actually came across these about a month ago at my parent's house.

007.jpg
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    I actually came across these about a month ago at my parent's house.

007.jpg

Awesome.
  • Options
    CallawayCallaway Posts: 635
    I use to burn probably 100 dvd's a week for people. I can't remember the last time I did a B&P for someone....makes me feel old. :lol:
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,836
    Callaway wrote:
    I use to burn probably 100 dvd's a week for people. I can't remember the last time I did a B&P for someone....makes me feel old. :lol:

I still keep doing that to this today, and I started offering DVD B+P's since '03. :oops: :mrgreen:
  • Options
    CallawayCallaway Posts: 635
    demetrios wrote:
    Callaway wrote:

I still keep doing that to this today, and I started offering DVD B+P's since '03. :oops: :mrgreen:

I know, I was on redmosquito forum back in the day with you ;)
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,048
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    Was reading through an old address book and saw some real old names I have not seen in years from the tape trading days. Our PJ20 meetup was a huge failure, I met one (Chris Doerr). So in honor of the past post some old buddies and post what the hell you are up to these days. My list
    Luke Adolph
    Rick Bosso
    Jeremy Dummer (UK)
    Brad Halvorsen
    Mark Senderak (kingsneech)
    Rick Posey
    Carl Sylvester
    Gavin Connaty

I Mike Freitag (h2i, hardtoimagine and hrd2imgn) am a Junior High Art Teacher and live in Illinois. Just married about a year and a half ago, and have a little jammer on the way. I attended Purdue University where the whole obsession began, and moved from town to town in Indiana and Illinois back in the day.

I hope all of you are doing well, as I think the trading community is really one of the main reasons this band has such a fanatical following, and tight easy to get along with fanbase.

Carl was my savior back in the mid 90's while I was in college. Before I found him and is site, I used to pay $ thru this ridiculous catalog where the tapes would come with a crappy construction cardboard photo copy insert and a tape. This was before the $25-$50 bootleg imports which I was also buying until I found Carl. I remember sending him blank tapes to his specifics and then pacing back and forth at the mailbox in college every day in hopes of receiving what he was sending me. I have a stack of tapes up to the ceiling thanks to Carl, all PJ!!
  • Options
    JK36392JK36392 Posts: 840
    ds- are those tapes from olivers?
  • Options
    JK36392 wrote:
    ds- are those tapes from olivers?

I believe that was the name. It was in Syracuse on the hill next to 44's. Is this the place you're referring to?
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,836
    Callaway wrote:
    demetrios wrote:
    Callaway wrote:

I know, I was on redmosquito forum back in the day with you ;)

Those were good times. :)
  • Options
    JK36392JK36392 Posts: 840
    ds- yes, thats the place im talking about.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    I used to trade with Luke Adolph all the time. I'm pretty sure he was from Mass. We met up at the msg shows in 98...real nice guy.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    JK36392 wrote:
    ds- yes, thats the place im talking about.

Awesome store. Drove there from Utica at least once a week. :thumbup:
  • Options
    Fucking Luke....always used to email him with the Darth Vader intro....Luke...This is your father Luke

always looking for soundboard quality weren't we?
  • Options
    C'mon you guys where are you all hiding
  • Options
    I will bite by saying I owe Carl Sylvester a lot! Anyone know if he's around?
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited August 2014
    Luke was a cool dude.

Maxell XL-II 60s. I'll never forget them. Thats when following PJ was the most fun for me. 96-99
  • Options
    RB90590RB90590 Posts: 227

I will bite by saying I owe Carl Sylvester a lot! Anyone know if he's around?

PM sent
  • Options
    Is the pm from Carl????
  • Options
    hrd2imgn said:

Is the pm from Carl????

Nope
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 3,996
    Op..
    Didn't you meet ME at the ten club tent at PJ20?
    You were wearing the tape trader t- shirt?
    I was a trader ( no where near as famous as these guys) we talked trades for a while and you declared our meeting a success!
    "No J cards please , No Dolby!"
    ;)
    Scotty from Boston
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,076
    Tape trading was fun. It was hit or miss though. Some people had stuff on their lists that were kinda rare and would do nothing if you didn't have anyhting on their want list. So some things escaped my grasp until the downloading era. On the flip side, some people were overly generous. One dude sent me, I dunno, a dozen or so Pink Floyd bootleg CDs, probably worth several hundred dollars, for me to copy on my own time and to send back to him. (Instead of him copying them to tape [this was before CD burning] and sending them as B&P).

I too still have tape trading correspondence.

I guess ticket trading is the new way of connecting, but I've only had to do that a couple times.
  • Options
    Yes Scotty you were it other than Chris Doerr and we met later that day.....sorry I ommitted the meet, so give Scotty some credit!
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    use to use tdk sa's but switched to ux pro 90's. still have a few unopened. taped with a sony walkman pro which i still use from time to time. along with microphones from sonic studios. started taping in 85' . not just pearl jam obviously. but have some great stuff.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    edited September 2014
    Man, I don't remember any names from back in the day. I traded with a lot of people, and also hung out of the EFnet IRC channel #PearlJam in the mid 90's

I still have most of my old tapes:

image.

Link: http://i.imgur.com/4ZxdNGT.jpg
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    my dual deck just shot out on me last week, both decks at once, what the hell did I do.....

I have a mere 3 shows left from well over a hundred in the heyday I do miss the rack of tapes
  • Options
    darthdarth Houston, TX Posts: 139
    I use to trade a lot on the old synergy boards. Still have tons of tapes at my moms house in shoe boxes
    9/16/95; 10/14/00; 10/15/00; 10/17/00; 4/5/03; 4/6/03; 10/04/09; 11/12/12 (Ed); 11/16/13; 10/12/14
  • Options
    have hundreds of XL2 plus tapes. it was seriously out of control...
    live is better
  • Options
    E-G-A-GE-G-A-G Posts: 228
    Doerr is the first person I ever traded tapes with.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    edited April 2021
    Callaway said:
    I burn a lot of blu ray these days.  

B&p was fun, but once you could start sharing on servers, the world got a lot easier.  FTP was a revelation.
  • Options
    alialugailyalialugaily Posts: 1
    edited April 2021
    Oh this is a GREAT thread!  So many memories, so many great names and people I met.  Rick, Luke, Carl, "Pearl Jam" Jess.  Mike, you helped me a lot too back in the days.  For shows I could not afford to go to, or could not make trips for, you guys made it possible to build a great collection and spread the incredible live music this band has put out for decades.  I actually met a lot of the group at the 1995 Washington, DC Constitution Hall show (Voters for Choice).  I will never forget that moment!!  Almost all the live shows were recorded (audio and video).  It was just such a great time to be alive, and I miss that terribly.  I wish we could get together somehow.  A reunion of sorts... 
    Post edited by alialugaily on