The Official Pink Floyd Thread

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
edited October 2012 in Other Music
my choice for the 3rd best band of all time, with the beatles at number one and led zep at 2.

i remember hearing Another Brick in the Wall part 2 as a kid, but it wasnt until college when i actually heard pink floyd in any capacity. i remember being blown away. a dormmate, had a mac, and was playing Echoes on it, with the computer providing art timed to the music. i remember being in awe that this song kept going on and on and on. I did the whole Dark Side of the rainbow thing, as well as synching it with 2001 and Apocalypse Now.

Such a massive band. its sort of hard to contemplate their impact, but its massive.

I love the lyrics and i love of course the music, so experimental, so psychedelic, so out there.

i think their appeal is how timeless and universal the music is. the lyrics we all can relate to, Time, Money, Wish You Were Here, Shine On You Crazy Diamond. and i think the music is so unbelieveably crafted you cant help but sit in awe like i did, in my dorm, listening to the songs.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Fantastic band.

Shine On You Crazy Diamond is a beautiful piece of music.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    A fantastic band....

You are right - they're music is timeless.... :thumbup:
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    Hello?
    Is there anybody in there?
    Just nod if you can hear me.
    Is there anyone at home?
    Come on, now,
    I hear you're feeling down.
    Well I can ease your pain
    And get you on your feet again.
    Relax.
    I need some information first.
    Just the basic facts
    Can you show me where it hurts?

http://youtu.be/gs3lQVyZPVg
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    I love Zep, but I'd put Floyd ahead of them. I think they are second only to The Beatles in terms of consecutive amazing albums

Beatles: Rubber Soul -> Revolver -> Sgt Peppers -> MMT -> White Album -> Abbey Road -> Let It Be

Floyd: Meddle -> (Obscured By Clouds if you count it) -> Dark Side -> Wish You Were Here -> Animals -> The Wall -> Final Cut

You can make the case for Zep 1 through Physical Graffiti I suppose, too.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    BinFrog wrote:
    I love Zep, but I'd put Floyd ahead of them. I think they are second only to The Beatles in terms of consecutive amazing albums

Beatles: Rubber Soul -> Revolver -> Sgt Peppers -> MMT -> White Album -> Abbey Road -> Let It Be

Floyd: Meddle -> (Obscured By Clouds if you count it) -> Dark Side -> Wish You Were Here -> Animals -> The Wall -> Final Cut

Looks like you made the case. 7 for The Beatles, 6 for Zep, and only 5 for Floyd(you can't include Final Cut.)
    #FHP
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    BinFrog wrote:

I go Beatles, Zep, Floyd for the top 3 with Floyd probably being my personal #2 behind Zep.

I think Presence and ITTOD destroy Final Cut and I'd say Presence is a little better than Obscured(close call) with ITTOD being on pretty even.

Zeppelin had so much more diversity through those album. Though Pink Floyd is more versatile than people often give them credit for. They get pigenholed too often, imo.

To the task at hand.....Pink Floyd is utterly amazing no way you slice. One of the few bands whose influence is pretty well inescapable in the rock world.

Not sure there is a more perfect album than DSOTM
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,026
    ANIMALS!!!!!!!!!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    Pink Floyd is second to none in my opinion. I love Zeppelin insanely, but I'm pretty much obsessed with the Floyd. They have always maintained their signature sound yet I think they're incredibly diverse. Part of my love for them also comes from the fact that I love every single member's solo albums as well. Syd's were simple yet brilliant, Roger's have been epic, David's are beautiful, Nick's got some weird stuff going on, and Rick Wright was so incredibly talented..what a loss.

To me, Pink Floyd is the whole fracken package. The closest I'll ever get to seeing them live are the solo shows I've been to (David's and Roger's), and those shows are all listed in my top 10 of all time hands-down.

About time we had an 'official' PF thread!! :mrgreen:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Roger waters on Stern today. Fascinating interview.
  • They are very near the top of my list and I actually didn't really start listening to them until a few years ago. When I was younger I just got tired of hearing the same songs of theirs on the radio so I wrote them off without really giving them a chance. I finally sat down one day and listened through their catalog and then I got it. I've been obsessed ever since.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • GivenToJam88GivenToJam88 NJ Posts: 1,187
    ANIMALS!!!!!!!!!

This post says it all. ANIMALS is the album. Even Mike agreed in one of the more recent issues of DEEP. Cover to cover, that album is amazing in so many ways!!
    2006: 5/28
    2008: 6/19, 6/24, 6/25
    2009: 6/14 (EV), 10/27, 10/28
    2010: 5/17
    2011: 6/21 (EV), 6/22 (EV), 9/11, 9/12
    2012: 9/2
    2013: 10/15, 10/16, 10/19, 10/21, 10/22, 10/27, 11/23, 11/24
    2014: 10/19
    2016: 5/1, 5/2, 5/8
    2018: 8/20, 9/2, 9/4
    ANIMALS!!!!!!!!!

This post says it all. ANIMALS is the album. Even Mike agreed in one of the more recent issues of DEEP. Cover to cover, that album is amazing in so many ways!!

Dogs is my favorite.
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    ANIMALS!!!!!!!!!

Dogs is my favorite.

I gravitate more towards Sheep these days. It changes often.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
    BinFrog wrote:
    Dogs is my favorite.

Dogs is my favorite, but Pigs is amazing...Love the stuff Gilmour does with the talk box.
    Talking about favorite songs...it's impossible to do...but Echoes is consistently in my top 5 favorite PF songs. When I saw David Gilmour a few years ago he played it in its entirety (of course Rick was touring with him) and it was the most incredible experience I've ever had at a live show. There were people in the aisles just screaming 'thank you' over and over again...what a cool memory!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Talking about favorite songs...it's impossible to do...but Echoes is consistently in my top 5 favorite PF songs. When I saw David Gilmour a few years ago he played it in its entirety (of course Rick was touring with him) and it was the most incredible experience I've ever had at a live show. There were people in the aisles just screaming 'thank you' over and over again...what a cool memory!

Greatest show I've ever seen. The 2nd half was closer to Floyd than anything since 1980, imo, beside Live 8 obviously, but I think Gilmour even topped that.
    DewieCox wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Greatest show I've ever seen. The 2nd half was closer to Floyd than anything since 1980, imo, beside Live 8 obviously, but I think Gilmour even topped that.

Agreed. I'm getting the chills just thinking about it...ahh and he played Dominoes too...holy hell was that an incredible show!
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Agreed. I'm getting the chills just thinking about it...ahh and he played Dominoes too...holy hell was that an incredible show!

Yeah, it was pretty incredible all around. Which show did you catch? I was in Chicago for the 2nd night. Wish my dvd copy of the show was better but it's still pretty freakin cool.

I remember at the show when he played Take A Breath from his album I almost had to sit down at the thought of how absurdly good the second half was gonna be. The whole of the show after the intermission was the highlight. I was literally blown away time after time during the Floyd segment.

Shine On....
    Wotsuh the Deal
    Time
    Echoes!!!!!.....just ridiculous
    Comfortably Numb...no better way to end any show.
  • ANIMALS!!!!!!!!!

I've listened to that album 3 times today.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
    DewieCox wrote:
    Yeah, it was pretty incredible all around. Which show did you catch? I was in Chicago for the 2nd night. Wish my dvd copy of the show was better but it's still pretty freakin cool.

I remember at the show when he played Take A Breath from his album I almost had to sit down at the thought of how absurdly good the second half was gonna be. The whole of the show after the intermission was the highlight. I was literally blown away time after time during the Floyd segment.

Shine On....
    Wotsuh the Deal
    Time
    Echoes!!!!!.....just ridiculous
    Comfortably Numb...no better way to end any show.

I was at the 2nd night show too. Everything about it was perfect! The set, the lights, the venue, just incredible! I love On An Island, so I really enjoyed the first half too. But you're 100% right, the second half was friggin mindblowing for sure. Seriously when he started in on Echoes I thought it was going to be an abbreviated version...but when he kept on going I was just freaking out!
  • It's my humble opinion that there is no finer piece of musical work than 'The Wall'. Epic beyond belief. Nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

Back in the very early 80s the movie came out and man... it blew people's minds. It's still decent, but back in the day, people couldn't believe the movie complement to the album. * Side note: Heavy Metal was also a great rock movie around the same time with voices of John Candy and a great selection of excellent music (Blue Oyster Cult, Cheap Trick, Sammy Hagar, etc.).

The Wall... an unbelievable concept masterpiece crafted from one of the elite Kings of Rock.

Unfortunately. Roger couldn't hold it together and his bitter, pessimistic, dark and tortured soul made working relations completely unworkable (a low point marked when he even spat on a fan). The Final Cut was painstakingly produced, released, and that was it. A band finished at the height of its career.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    Mamasan23 wrote:

That's fantastic. Echoes is amazing.
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • DewieCox wrote:
    BinFrog wrote:
    Dogs is my favorite.

Dogs is my favorite, but Pigs is amazing...Love the stuff Gilmour does with the talk box.

charade you are...
  • guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    The Wall is headed to Yankee Stadium this summer :mrgreen: .

I was able to see the Roger Waters Wall show at Nassau Coliseum 2 years ago :mrgreen:

Thirty years after seeing the Original Pink Floyd Wall Show there in 1980 ;) .......... :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    you've been in the pipeline, filling the time.
  • luanisluanis Posts: 159
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Pink Floyd is second to none in my opinion. I love Zeppelin insanely, but I'm pretty much obsessed with the Floyd. They have always maintained their signature sound yet I think they're incredibly diverse. Part of my love for them also comes from the fact that I love every single member's solo albums as well. Syd's were simple yet brilliant, Roger's have been epic, David's are beautiful, Nick's got some weird stuff going on, and Rick Wright was so incredibly talented..what a loss.

To me, Pink Floyd is the whole fracken package. The closest I'll ever get to seeing them live are the solo shows I've been to (David's and Roger's), and those shows are all listed in my top 10 of all time hands-down.

About time we had an 'official' PF thread!! :mrgreen:

My thoughts exacly. Definatly second to none. Pink Floyd means more to me than anything else in this world, they have transcended time and place with they masterpieces and I am so glad they exist.
    I believe the world wouldn't be the same without them, at least mine wouldn't.

I love Pink Floyd with all my heart.

Never saw them live though. Breaks my heart.

miss%20you.jpg
    Pearl Jam:
    Restelo Stadium - May 23rd 2000 ; Pavilhao Atlantico - Sep 4th 2006 ; Passeio Maritimo Alges - Jun 8th 2007 ; Optimus Alive! - Jul 10th 2010 ; NOS Alive - Jul 14th 2018

Eddie Vedder Solo:
    Sudoeste Festival, Zambujeira do Mar - Aug 3rd 2012 ; Super Bock Super Rock, Meco - Jul 18th 2014
    _____
    Next?
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,204
    those gilmour chicago shows were great. i was glad he kind of mined the catalog a bit and played some things us die hards would appreciate. who'd have ever thought we'd get to hear wot's uh the deal in 2006? no one. getting wearing the inside out was another highlight for me. and echoes... i never thought i'd get to see a performance of it. of all the shows i've seen, if i had to choose one song performance to relive it would be echoes.
    AndySlash wrote:
    those gilmour chicago shows were great. i was glad he kind of mined the catalog a bit and played some things us die hards would appreciate. who'd have ever thought we'd get to hear wot's uh the deal in 2006? no one. getting wearing the inside out was another highlight for me. and echoes... i never thought i'd get to see a performance of it. of all the shows i've seen, if i had to choose one song performance to relive it would be echoes.

Damn I still get the chills thinking about that show!!! He really did pull out some things I didn't think we'd see. Seeing Echoes was definitely the main highlight, but Dominoes was up there on my list too...gah wish there was a DVD or something to relive it!!