Options

Toadies/Burden Brothers

Comments

• Options
    themessengerthemessenger Dallas Posts: 1,320
    Toqdies rock!! Tyler is definitely my favorite. When it gets to the ending and I'm alone in my car, I sing as loud as I can! Pure awesomeness.

It's impossible not to!

I find a window in the kitchen, and I let myself in
    Rummage through the refrigerator, find myself a beer
    I can't believe I'm really here, and she's lying in that bed
    I can almost feel her touch, and her anxious breath!

I stumble in the hallway, outside the bedroom door
    I hear her call out to me, I hear the fear in her voice
    She pulls the covers tighter, I press against the door

I will be with her tonight!

I know! What a great ending to a song, no matter how bad I butcher it!
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    red mos wrote:
    Hmmm I really have taking a love to each Toadies album. I love each one. One thing I have wondered as of late is why "motovational" has dissapeared from the setlists?

I've probably seen Toadies about 15-20 times. Been to soundcheck a few times too.

Saw Burden Brothers like 10 times I think. Those shows were epic because they played a bar right across from University of North Texas on fry street alot and that place held like maybe 500 people (if that many). They blew the roof off that Dive. Vaden once comented about how he played this bar when it was a different name (Rick's place). Told the crowd he was going to play a new song and didicate it to this bar. The Burden Brothers launch into "I come from the water" (Vaden used to not play Toadies stuff once BB got rolling and had albums out). The place went Apeshit! I was third row and then ended up literally on someone's shoulders and almost on the stage. Didn't wanna get kicked out. Oh man, fun fun fun times in Denton on fry street.

I'm not sure why that is, I LOVE that song! :mrgreen:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Another thing I loved about BB shows: They would often open with "come on down" and that was awesome cause the place would be completely dark except for Vaden Todd Lewis, and then when he would scream "come on down, come on down, I wanna meet you, the crowd would surge forward and Vaden would tower over the crowd reaching out and shaking people's hands. Then the middle section of the song would kick in full band in on the lights just rocking the place. fantastic stuff.

Saw them open with "Daughter of science" once, and the "it's time" recorded intro once too. Awesome shows all the way around.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    red mos wrote:
    Another thing I loved about BB shows: They would often open with "come on down" and that was awesome cause the place would be completely dark except for Vaden Todd Lewis, and then when he would scream "come on down, come on down, I wanna meet you, the crowd would surge forward and Vaden would tower over the crowd reaching out and shaking people's hands. Then the middle section of the song would kick in full band in on the lights just rocking the place. fantastic stuff.

Saw them open with "Daughter of science" once, and the "it's time" recorded intro once too. Awesome shows all the way around.

That would have been amazing!! Come on Down kicks so much butt!!! :D
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    You, Red Mos and capthowdy1027 :D I think we talked about Toadies on Facebook a little while back didn't we Rico?

One of my all time favorite bands. I've seen them live 4 times, once on the Hell Below Stars Above tour, and then they came to town 3 time on No Deliverance. The last time I seen them was by far my favorite. It was in a really small club, with a stage that was only like 3 feet off the ground and me and my friend were front row literally about 3 feet away from Todd the whole night, screaming along to every single damn song. I finally lost my spot when the crowd went APE SHIT as soon as it got to the "I FIND A WINDOW IN THE KITCHEN" part of "Tyler". I'm too damn old for moshing and shit like that but man was that a lot of fun.

I've been lucky enough to meet Todd and the guys after each show I've been too and I think he's by far the nicest "rock star" I've ever met. He has signed each one of my CD covers and they're all in a frame in my basement.

What's your guys favorite album? I guess Rubberneck is obviously everybody's go to, but HBSA is by far my favorite. You'll Come Down, Pressed Against the Sky, HBSA, and Dollskin are just flat out damn amazing songs.

My wife and I had our first kid in 2002 and she had a huge list of names picked out that she wrote down on a piece of paper and I went through saying which ones I liked and didn't and then I got to Tyler on the list and I said "Hey that's an awesome Toadies song, let's go with that". So yeah, my kid is somewhat named after a Toadies song haha.
    yes I believe we did. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Man, it's not looking to good for me to see them... :(
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    MAD love for the Toadies - and I think Hell Below Stars Above is my fave too. Seriously Dollskin is one of the most beautiful songs ever. I've only seen the Toadies live twice, but both shows to me are unforgettable.

I meant to get into the Burden Brothers but never really got the chance. Is VTL still doing that at all?
    Mamasan 23- Sadly no. All the Guys in Burden Brothers have gone on to play in other bands. Great bands I might add, but probably more locally known. Man, do I miss some of those BB shows. Give therir albums a listen on itunes they are great. I do yearn to hear Some BB songs live again from time to time.
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,493
    Looks like they're playing someplace near San Antonio in march but Social D isn't opening for them. :(
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    red mos wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    MAD love for the Toadies - and I think Hell Below Stars Above is my fave too. Seriously Dollskin is one of the most beautiful songs ever. I've only seen the Toadies live twice, but both shows to me are unforgettable.

I meant to get into the Burden Brothers but never really got the chance. Is VTL still doing that at all?
    Mamasan 23- Sadly no. All the Guys in Burden Brothers have gone on to play in other bands. Great bands I might add, but probably more locally known. Man, do I miss some of those BB shows. Give therir albums a listen on itunes they are great. I do yearn to hear Some BB songs live again from time to time.

Bummer! I'll definitely give them a listen though. This thread has already put me into a high-gear Toadies kick :mrgreen:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    red mos wrote:
    You, Red Mos and capthowdy1027 :D I think we talked about Toadies on Facebook a little while back didn't we Rico?

One of my all time favorite bands. I've seen them live 4 times, once on the Hell Below Stars Above tour, and then they came to town 3 time on No Deliverance. The last time I seen them was by far my favorite. It was in a really small club, with a stage that was only like 3 feet off the ground and me and my friend were front row literally about 3 feet away from Todd the whole night, screaming along to every single damn song. I finally lost my spot when the crowd went APE SHIT as soon as it got to the "I FIND A WINDOW IN THE KITCHEN" part of "Tyler". I'm too damn old for moshing and shit like that but man was that a lot of fun.

I've been lucky enough to meet Todd and the guys after each show I've been too and I think he's by far the nicest "rock star" I've ever met. He has signed each one of my CD covers and they're all in a frame in my basement.

What's your guys favorite album? I guess Rubberneck is obviously everybody's go to, but HBSA is by far my favorite. You'll Come Down, Pressed Against the Sky, HBSA, and Dollskin are just flat out damn amazing songs.

My wife and I had our first kid in 2002 and she had a huge list of names picked out that she wrote down on a piece of paper and I went through saying which ones I liked and didn't and then I got to Tyler on the list and I said "Hey that's an awesome Toadies song, let's go with that". So yeah, my kid is somewhat named after a Toadies song haha.

Hmmmm, now to figure out which one of Rico's friends on Facebook you are haha. Kyle?
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Options
    Looks like they're playing someplace near San Antonio in march but Social D isn't opening for them. :(

Yeah they are. Tx shows for social D are NOT with Toadies except for Corpus Christi. Still thinking about going to see Social D though. It will probably sell out though, and I have to work 8 to 5 and tix on sale on Friday @10am grrrrrr. Toadies are opening for Social D on their dates. Social D is headlining all shows.
  • Options
    red mos wrote:

Hmmmm, now to figure out which one of Rico's friends on Facebook you are haha. Kyle?
    yep
  • Options
    red mos wrote:

I'm bummed I never got the chance to see BB live. I think they only came to Cincinnati once and for some reason I couldn't go. That 'Come on Down' intro just so extremely bad ass.

You know what Toadies song kicks a lot of ass? 'Paper Dress' from the Crow: City of Angels soundtrack. Just throwing that out there.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    red mos wrote:

I'm bummed I never got the chance to see BB live. I think they only came to Cincinnati once and for some reason I couldn't go. That 'Come on Down' intro just so extremely bad ass.

The Burden Brothers released a dvd called RYFOLAMF. It was recorded at the Gypsy Tea Room in Dallas on the Buried in Your Black Heart tour. It is well worth having if you are a fan of BB. Looks like they did a repressing of it, just checked and they have physical copies over at http://www.kirtlandrecords.com under store. It is also avail on itunes. This setlist is damn near identical to the Buried and your Black Heart shows right after that album got released. the physical copy is $15 plus shipping. It includes most of (if not all) the Buried in your black heart album live plus a few covers including a cover of Reverend Horton Heats 400 Bucks (Taz Patrick Bentley was Rev's first drummer). There is also an interview with the band members in the extras, as well as the "beautiful night" video and an interview with the LAMF street team. Also includes, an "acoustic version" of She's not home (from their "Mercy" Album). Also includes an acoustic version of "walk all over you" by AC/DC. It does not have any Toadies covers as Todd was trying to steer away from that, and focus mainly on BB at the time.
    Post edited by red mos on
  • Options
    Another interesting BB fact I will go ahead and throw out there:

When the Toadies Broke up in 2001, Taz Bentley of Rev Horton Heat called Vaden and they went to Seattle to jam with some of Taz's friends. Those friends turned out to be members of Soundgarden. The BB had not officially formed, but on one of their eps Matt Cameron is listed as playing drums on a early version of "walk away" then titled "walk very far away" you can preview that ep on Amazon. I think it was their queen of spades ep. Vaden Todd Lewis's fave singer is Chris Cornell. He has quoted him as "best pipes alive." I always thought that was cool. After flying home from Seattle, I think VTL and Taz decided to form the band But keep it low key. They released these eps on line. you would pay way too much for them now, and no, I don't have them. Then "Beautiful night" (the song ) ended up in the hands of a dj and the song just took off (This is where I found out about them). My roomate had asked me who sings this song, and I listened to it, heard Vaden's voice, and was like Yes, he's back (thinking it was Toadies). DJ said it was Burden Brothers, and, it was a new project. Found out on the university bus the next day, they were playing a place called "reign entertainment complex " the following Friday in Denton just down the road. Bought tix that afternoon. We get there for the show on this Friday, this place is packed, so much so, that the fire marshalls show up and start telling people to leave because of crowdedness. That's how many people still wanted in to see Todd's new band. (not the first time that the places they booked were overcrowded). Met them all that night, and I was so blown away, being a big fan of VTL. He was in a bad mood though cause the crowd was rude and wanted Toadies songs at the end. He wouldn't play them. I understood, and respected that. (the manager of the club told me this when I bought our tickets). I've met VTL many times and all the BB and Toadies (minus Lisa). He is a super nice cool, down to earth guy. He totally loves what he does.
  • Options
    red mos wrote:

You know what Toadies song kicks a lot of ass? 'Paper Dress' from the Crow: City of Angels soundtrack. Just throwing that out there.
    indeed it does, one of my faves. They still play it live from time to time.
  • Options
    red mos wrote:
    red mos wrote:

indeed it does, one of my faves. They still play it live from time to time.

Yeah I got to hear it one of the times I saw them on the last tour, it was awesome.

Killer BB story up there though man, that's awesome.
  • Options
    Was going to get some tickets today but just for one ticket it is going to be $40 and then I have to pay half of my dad's ticket which is going to be another $20. And then I'm basically broke...I guess I'll just wait and save up my money for PJ... :roll:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    Bummer Bro! try following Toadies on Twitter. I know they sometimes give away tix on there. (Not Always, but Sometimes). With it being a Social D show, not sure if they will. I hope you can find a way to go. Social D is great live too. However, I do hear ya about wanting to see PJ, especially with that tweet we got yesterday about having updated info on Sunday.

If you don't get to see Toadies with Social D, they will be back though more than likely when the new album drops. They usually tour heavily after an album is released. Usually when they do headline shows in Seattle, they play one of the showbox venues.
  • Options
    red mos wrote:
    Bummer Bro! try following Toadies on Twitter. I know they sometimes give away tix on there. (Not Always, but Sometimes).

They sure do, I won tickets from their Twitter last time they were in town. They usually do it day of show and just say the first person to reply gets the tickets. I hadn't bought tickets yet so it worked out pretty well. So I just took all the money I planned on spending on tickets and bought some merch.
  • Options
    red mos wrote:
    Bummer Bro! try following Toadies on Twitter. I know they sometimes give away tix on there. (Not Always, but Sometimes).

They sure do, I won tickets from their Twitter last time they were in town. They usually do it day of show and just say the first person to reply gets the tickets. I hadn't bought tickets yet so it worked out pretty well. So I just took all the money I planned on spending on tickets and bought some merch.

their merch prices aren't bad either. $20 bucks for shirts $25 for the hoodie and cds were $10 or $15 I think.

Also in case this got missed, for BB fans:

The Burden Brothers released a dvd called RYFOLAMF. It was recorded at the Gypsy Tea Room in Dallas on the Buried in Your Black Heart tour. It is well worth having if you are a fan of BB. Looks like they did a repressing of it, just checked and they have physical copies over at http://www.kirtlandrecords.com under store. It is also avail on itunes. This setlist is damn near identical to the Buried and your Black Heart shows right after that album got released. the physical copy is $15 plus shipping. It includes most of (if not all) the Buried in your black heart album live plus a few covers including a cover of Reverend Horton Heats 400 Bucks (Taz Patrick Bentley was Rev's first drummer). There is also an interview with the band members in the extras, as well as the "beautiful night" video and an interview with the LAMF street team. Also includes, an "acoustic version" of She's not home (from their "Mercy" Album). Also includes an acoustic version of "walk all over you" by AC/DC. It does not have any Toadies covers as Todd was trying to steer away from that, and focus mainly on BB at the time.
  • Options
    Since there is alot of love for Dollskin here I thought I would post this. The Toadies played a 3 song acoustic set at the Hard Rock Cafe' before the actual show next door that night. Here is Dollskin acoustic. I really enjoyed seeing this mini acoustic set as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJQZJnr0jPg
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    So not sure why it took me so long to listen to it but a buddy of mine gave me the Feeler cd...holy shit is it good!! I'm actually pissed that I never picked it up myself, it is quickly becoming my favorite material from the Toadies!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    capthowdy1027capthowdy1027 Posts: 3,270
    red mos wrote:
    Since there is alot of love for Dollskin here I thought I would post this. The Toadies played a 3 song acoustic set at the Hard Rock Cafe' before the actual show next door that night. Here is Dollskin acoustic. I really enjoyed seeing this mini acoustic set as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJQZJnr0jPg

I had never seen that video before but I had seen one from RSD last year when they did Dollskin acoustic. I'm usually all for acoustic versions of songs, and I love the shit out of Dollskin but that version just doesn't do anything for me. I need to hear Todd yell "I HATE THESE WALLS!!!" so there just isn't as much feeling behind the acoustic version. Just my personal opinion though.
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    So not sure why it took me so long to listen to it but a buddy of mine gave me the Feeler cd...holy shit is it good!! I'm actually pissed that I never picked it up myself, it is quickly becoming my favorite material from the Toadies!

It's is a great album for sure. But I'm guilty of not listening to it as much as the other albums as well, so I need to start playing it more often.

I REALLY need the Toadies to come to town again soon. I need a fix badly.
  • Options
    Man, I'm mad I can't see them at the moment. But hopefully they will tour again without Social D and then I can see them!

Oh and by the way...if you look hard enough on Youtube you can hear their new single. ;)
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    the new single is awesome. Saw it on you tube. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjSHQg_DFoE

Also, the band is out touring with Social D (yes we alredy know that). Recieved a email from their record label that the new single (heard above) will be avail on May 8th. The new full length album will be released in July. The Toadies are scheduled to do a co headline tour with Helment starting in July. No Dates have been given for that yet.
  • Options
    capthowdy1027capthowdy1027 Posts: 3,270
    Damn another tour with another co-headline again? As long as they do a full set then I'm cool with it but with Social D they're only playing 45 minutes. I couldn't justify the road trip for a 45 minute show.
  • Options
    curlygirly9curlygirly9 Vancouver, WA Posts: 1,872
    I won tickets to see them and Social D. Show was a few weeks ago, they sounded great.
    Rose Garden Arena - Nov 02, 2000, Key Arena - Oct 22, 2001, Key Arena - Dec 08, 2002, Key Arena - Dec 09, 2002, Clark County Amphitheater - Sep 26, 2009
  • Options
    HoltzmnHoltzmn Posts: 87
    I'm seeing the Toadies/Social D this Thursday at First Ave, first time seeing either band, I'm really looking forward to it.
  • Options
    Holtzmn wrote:
    I'm seeing the Toadies/Social D this Thursday at First Ave, first time seeing either band, I'm really looking forward to it.
    both Bands are great live... you'll have a blast. :D