Options

Seether's unplugged cover of Immortality

nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
edited May 2013 in The Porch
I know this is probably old stuff to many, but I just learned about it after watching
Seether on DirecTV's Guitar Center Sessions and then digging around their wiki discography.
They covered it on their live album.

BTW, they absolutely raved about working with Brendan O'Brien on their latest album.

Good stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huoA2Dskwmo
EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,005
    pretty decent live band too. I've seen them a couple of times and they always play some sort of grunge cover - haven't seen a PJ yet though
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    8bitj8bitj Posts: 98
    I've been in love with (the original) Immortality lately, and every time the Seether version comes up on Pandora or some other radio I just get angry that it's not Pearl Jam and skip it. Boo, other bands, booooo!!!
  • Options
    Deep93Deep93 Posts: 86
    Never liked Seether. There another cheesy rock band like Shinedown and Thornley. Lame lyrics, cheap riffs. Just my opinion. They did a good job with that Immortality cover though. The song is so good and easy to play its hard to fuck up if you remember all of the lyrics.
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Ottawa 9/14/2011
    Amsterdam 6/26/2012!
  • Options
    StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    we do like seether
    i have to go hear the cover :)
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    PRSNT10SPRSNT10S Posts: 206
    Thanks for sharing, they played it with sincerity, I liked it.
    Your words help me heal
    Redigested past regrets
    I see things clearer
  • Options
    Seether is a pretty solid band, I've seen them a couple times. Although their albums just keep getting more and more over produced ever since karma and effect.
  • Options
    Deep93 wrote:
    Never liked Seether. There another cheesy rock band like Shinedown and Thornley. Lame lyrics, cheap riffs. Just my opinion. They did a good job with that Immortality cover though. The song is so good and easy to play its hard to fuck up if you remember all of the lyrics.

don't ever speak ill of the Mightly Ian Thornley! Those crappy post-grunge bands aren't anywhere in his league. He's a totally different animal, very talented song writer. And he's restarted Big Wreck, don'tcha know.

I liked Seether until they started churning out the same forumlaic overproduced nonsense every album (as another poster said). I saw them a few times, once headlining a theatre (and they played Immortality acoustic, which was awesome), and once opening for Audioslave in an arena. If I closed by eyes I could have sworn a Kurt Cobain immitator was on stage. That lead singer is to Nirvana what Scott Stapp is to Pearl Jam. I know that he genuinely idolizes Kurt, but come on, to even copy the logo from In Utero for your stage props? And dye your hair red in the same way the Kurt did? That's a bit much. I mean, there's there's flattery by way of imitation, and then there's downright creepy copying.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Deep93 wrote:

don't ever speak ill of the Mightly Ian Thornley! Those crappy post-grunge bands aren't anywhere in his league. He's a totally different animal, very talented song writer. And he's restarted Big Wreck, don'tcha know.

I liked Seether until they started churning out the same forumlaic overproduced nonsense every album (as another poster said). I saw them a few times, once headlining a theatre (and they played Immortality acoustic, which was awesome), and once opening for Audioslave in an arena. If I closed by eyes I could have sworn a Kurt Cobain immitator was on stage. That lead singer is to Nirvana what Scott Stapp is to Pearl Jam. I know that he genuinely idolizes Kurt, but come on, to even copy the logo from In Utero for your stage props? And dye your hair red in the same way the Kurt did? That's a bit much. I mean, there's there's flattery by way of imitation, and then there's downright creepy copying.

Sorry, i really dug allot of the music on Thronleys first album but his lyrics are extremely cheezy! Dont even get me started on his second album. Talk about over produced and poppy. And i liked allot of big wrecks stuff, but the lyrics again are sooo cheezy.

"How can you walk around, With your feet up off the ground, take a look around, look what i found."

Thats gotta be one of the worst chorus' I've ever heard.

Again this is all just my opinion.
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Ottawa 9/14/2011
    Amsterdam 6/26/2012!
  • Options
    Deep93 wrote:
    Sorry, i really dug allot of the music on Thronleys first album but his lyrics are extremely cheezy! Dont even get me started on his second album. Talk about over produced and poppy. And i liked allot of big wrecks stuff, but the lyrics again are sooo cheezy.

"How can you walk around, With your feet up off the ground, take a look around, look what i found."

weird, I don't really find his lyrics cheesy. and you're right, Tiny Pictures was nothing like the first record, but I think that's why he left 604 records, to get away from Chad Kroeger and his meddling n his songs. I LOVED the first Thornley record, because it was heavy Big Wreck. I look forward to the Big Wreck record coming out.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Deep93 wrote:

weird, I don't really find his lyrics cheesy. and you're right, Tiny Pictures was nothing like the first record, but I think that's why he left 604 records, to get away from Chad Kroeger and his meddling n his songs. I LOVED the first Thornley record, because it was heavy Big Wreck. I look forward to the Big Wreck record coming out.

I did forget to mention that i do think he has a fantastic voice. And ill be checking out that Big Wreck Record when it comes out for sure. Which is when?
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Ottawa 9/14/2011
    Amsterdam 6/26/2012!
  • Options
    Deep93 wrote:
    I did forget to mention that i do think he has a fantastic voice. And ill be checking out that Big Wreck Record when it comes out for sure. Which is when?

yeah, to me he's like the canadian chris cornell.

I don't know. the new single has been available on itunes for a bit, but last time I checked the website there was no release information. just a home page.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    Seether is horrible. Can't tell them from nickelback or shinedown. Same boring formula every song, guy crying about his suck ass life. How can musicians with such good influences create such garbage?
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • Options
    TheGossman wrote:
    Seether is horrible. Can't tell them from nickelback or shinedown. Same boring formula every song, guy crying about his suck ass life. How can musicians with such good influences create such garbage?

Fucken eh man, thanks for the backup, there awful.
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Ottawa 9/14/2011
    Amsterdam 6/26/2012!
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I always liked how Seether was influenced by Grunge bands and cover them from time to time. They are a good live band too. The dvd "one cold night" is really good. (It has the immortality cover on it). I've only seen Seether once, and they are good. They covered "heart shaped box" when I saw them.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    I love this place. :lol:

No one can cover a Pearl Jam song because it will suck or the band doing it sucks. But the second Pearl Jam covers another bands song it instantly becomes better than the original.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    B.KutysB.Kutys Posts: 119
    youngster wrote:

No one can cover a Pearl Jam song because it will suck or the band doing it sucks. But the second Pearl Jam covers another bands song it instantly becomes better than the original.

^^^^this is exactly why i HATE pearl jam fans....for that exact reason
  • Options
    B.Kutys wrote:
    youngster wrote:

nice. :roll:

dude, you get that with ANY band that has passionate fans. DMB fans are downright bullish about that band. I don't like that band, but I understand, from feeling the same about PJ, WHY they feel that way.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    B.Kutys wrote:
    youngster wrote:

You hate pearl jam fans eh? That's nice.

Anyway i thought the cover was done really well done, i just REALLY don't like Seether.
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Ottawa 9/14/2011
    Amsterdam 6/26/2012!
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Great cover!!!!
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    papa_pearls_jam.pj20papa_pearls_jam.pj20 Chicago USA Posts: 2,142
    Thanks for posting. :)
    Posimists. Fuck the pessimists...fuck'em.
  • Options
    SxDx1982SxDx1982 Posts: 124
    I love Seether, and they did a really good job with this song. Don't judge a band by their singles, they're nothing like Nickelback. I don't like their new album as much as the previous ones, but maybe it'll grow on me. They've been through a lot too, the singer's brother committed suicide a couple of years ago, one of the songs on the new album is dedicated to him. The video for Rise Above This is also about the same subject.

I don't mind Shinedown either, they used to be REAL, and they've got some great songs ("45" for example). It's just that when I watched some new Youtube clips, I didn't even recognize them as the same guys... They seem to make the same speeches and tell the same stories at every show, which makes me wonder how "real" they are anymore... it all seems so premeditated (is that a word?) now. :(
    I'm still out here waiting
    Watching reruns of my life
  • Options
    SxDx1982 wrote:
    I love Seether, and they did a really good job with this song. Don't judge a band by their singles, they're nothing like Nickelback. I don't like their new album as much as the previous ones, but maybe it'll grow on me. They've been through a lot too, the singer's brother committed suicide a couple of years ago, one of the songs on the new album is dedicated to him. The video for Rise Above This is also about the same subject.

I don't mind Shinedown either, they used to be REAL, and they've got some great songs ("45" for example). It's just that when I watched some new Youtube clips, I didn't even recognize them as the same guys... They seem to make the same speeches and tell the same stories at every show, which makes me wonder how "real" they are anymore... it all seems so premeditated (is that a word?) now. :(

Its a word but i don't know if it works in the negative context in which your using it.
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Ottawa 9/14/2011
    Amsterdam 6/26/2012!
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    Thanks for the link....beautiful.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    Its a word but i don't know if it works in the negative context in which your using it.
    Thanks. I meant that everything that Shinedown does seems so planned these days. Almost like they don't mean what they say anymore. It's a shame, because they were so great in the beginning.
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,245
    So, I'm sick and having trouble sleeping; I have Pandora playing on my Kindle at night, it seems to help me sleep a little better. But yesterday morning at 4:00a.m. I awoke to this song. I was confused and disoriented, mainly because it sounded to me as if the opening to this song had been completely messed up. So my first thought was "Was Mike having a bad night?" Then the vocals began. :x

I don't know anything about Seether. I don't like this cover and, yes, I was annoyed because I thought I was about to hear "Immortality," and what I got was a pale imitation.

No, I don't hate all PJ covers or all bands that cover PJ. Gaslight Anthem (Did I get that right?) do a great job, I think.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    No, I don't hate all PJ covers or all bands that cover PJ. Gaslight Anthem (Did I get that right?) do a great job, I think.

The Gaslight Anthem's version of State Of Love & Trust is pretty good, even though it sounds a bit too much like the original, but that's just my opinion. I love it when bands add something of their own to cover songs. I think they've also covered Last Kiss. Anyway, I really like that band. Their singer Brian Fallon is a huge PJ fan, by the way. 8-)
  • Options
    UKpearljammerUKpearljammer Bath, UK Posts: 910
    youngster wrote:

I personally love it when bands cover PJ, it's shows their influence and respect from upcoming artists and their peers a like. I'm not a fan of Seether, but I really liked this cover, it's got a real heaviness to it and sounds great IMHO. Nice to see a band covering something other than Ten era too.
    My PJ shows:
    London 28/10/96, Las Vegas 11/7/98, London 29/5/00, Nurnburg 11/6/00, Prague 14/6/00, Salzburg 18/6/00, Verona 20/6/00, Milan 22/6/00, Zurich 23/6/00, New York 8-9/7/03, Boston 11/7/03, Reading Festival 27/8/06, Shepards Bush 11/8/09, Berlin 15/8/09, Manchester 17/8/09, London 18/8/09, Dublin 22/6/10, Belfast 23/6/10, London (HRC) 25/6/10, Alpine Valley (PJ20) 3-4/9/11, Manchester 20-21/6/12, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14 To be continued....
  • Options
    RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    How does our version of Immortality stack up?

Just click on all songs. It's the last song listed. Enjoy everyone.

http://www.reverbnation.com/fauxpaul
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,872
    just heard this on the radio, sounded real good
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA