Options

Tired of texting drivers almost killing us!

F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
edited January 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I have the 'voice activated' stuff programmed into my phone, so that if I am at a standstill I can easily send a text w/o endangering everyone else on the road.
Fully willing to admit I should not even do that.

I almost was aced out on the freeway this AM (for the 300th time) by a lane weaving texter while doing 70 mph. Texting while driving has officially passed 'applying makeup while driving' as the most bothersome item I observe every day.

Unless someone is shit-hammered I suspect that drunk driving is less dangerous than texting while driving.

Cant we wait to text these days?

Anyone else almost get killed recently due to texting fools?

texting-mother.jpg
The love he receives is the love that is saved
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    this is a daily problem for me. I really dislike them. :x :x :x What is so damn important that can't wait until you get to work/home/school/wherever you are going?
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    completely agree....they need stricter laws for this.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,423
    I have the 'voice activated' stuff programmed into my phone, so that if I am at a standstill I can easily send a text w/o endangering everyone else on the road.
    Fully willing to admit I should not even do that.

I almost was aced out on the freeway this AM (for the 300th time) by a lane weaving texter while doing 70 mph. Texting while driving has officially passed 'applying makeup while driving' as the most bothersome item I observe every day.

Unless someone is shit-hammered I suspect that drunk driving is less dangerous than texting while driving.

Cant we wait to text these days?

Anyone else almost get killed recently due to texting fools?

texting-mother.jpg

Congrats on the new baby! :o

I agree....there is no way to mind the road while you are texting. It is impossible!
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    hate em.

that includes people posting on forums.....just wait until you get home....and no, a stop light is not a good time to text either.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    My hubby is guilty of this :( It drives me absolutely bonkers - I can't stand it either...it's insanely dangerous and not worth it at all. I've been harping on him about it forever and finally I told him that I refuse to go in his car if he insists on texting while driving. So he doesn't do it while I'm in the car anymore, but I wouldn't doubt that he does it when he's alone. I seriously hope that he gets pulled over and slammed with some kind of insane fine for it!!!

I miss the days before cell phones sometimes! There's certain people that freak out if I don't respond to them right away, drives me nuts!!!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    hate em.

that includes people posting on forums.....just wait until you get home....and no, a stop light is not a good time to text either.

But the stuff people post here is always so important.....very difficult to wait until you get home!
  • Options
    cbrunelle783cbrunelle783 Posts: 1,025
    mfc2006 wrote:

the laws don't work though
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    EV Solo:Providence 6/15/11 Boston 6/16/11 Hartford 6/18/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

Concert Wishlist: I am Mine, Marker in the Sand, Parachutes, In Hiding, All Those Yesterdays, I Got Shit, Long Road, Light Years
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    the cops need to step up enforcement.

just start pulling people over for it...it's not hard to see them doing it....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:

the laws don't work though

the lawys might work if they were enforced.

:roll:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    im just tired of idiots driving thinking theyre the only ones using the roads.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Monster RainMonster Rain Posts: 1,415
    I hate it. What I hate even more is when people get upset that it took 45 minutes to answer a text because I decided to wait until I stopped driving to read their message and respond. I guess I should apologize for not risking a car wreck just to let you know if I'd rather meet up at Applebee's or Friday's.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    I saw a guy going 10 mph under the limit in the stinkin fast lane on I-95 the other day, weaving between two lanes in a nice Mercedes, texting his merry little head off. pisses me off.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    I hate it. What I hate even more is when people get upset that it took 45 minutes to answer a text because I decided to wait until I stopped driving to read their message and respond. I guess I should apologize for not risking a car wreck just to let you know if I'd rather meet up at Applebee's or Friday's.

well... which was it??? applebees or fridays??? ;) :P
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,284
    I just weave into them to let them know to stop usually just bump their front ends to make them aware of me plus me flipping them the finger gets their attention fucking asshole :)
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Monster RainMonster Rain Posts: 1,415
    Friday's, of course. You can't beat their Jack Daniels burger. Plus, it's closer to my house so I don't have to keep people waiting as long for replies to texts. :)

well... which was it??? applebees or fridays??? ;) :P
  • Options
    Friday's, of course. You can't beat their Jack Daniels burger. Plus, it's closer to my house so I don't have to keep people waiting as long for replies to texts. :)

jack daniels in a burger. now youve lost me.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    I just weave into them to let them know to stop usually just bump their front ends to make them aware of me plus me flipping them the finger gets their attention fucking asshole :)

I would flip the bird but being in LA I half expect the guy to drop his phone and grab his gun.
    Driving on the freeway in 2012 reminds me of driving during a rain or snowstorm years ago. You would have to pay attention SO much because you could barely see anything. (and it was such a relief when you went under an overpass because you could see for a few seconds...course now I dont live around rain/snow) When you drive currently you have to fucking strain to watch a big halo all around you so that jackholes texting/putting on makeup/watching TV, etc dont wreck you.
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497

I would flip the bird but being in LA I half expect the guy to drop his phone and grab his gun.
    Driving on the freeway in 2012 reminds me of driving during a rain or snowstorm years ago. You would have to pay attention SO much because you could barely see anything. (and it was such a relief when you went under an overpass because you could see for a few seconds...course now I dont live around rain/snow) When you drive currently you have to fucking strain to watch a big halo all around you so that jackholes texting/putting on makeup/watching TV, etc dont wreck you.

LA was the absolute wosrt place I have ever driven a car. It was seriously like a video game.
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:

LA was the absolute wosrt place I have ever driven a car. It was seriously like a video game.
    Exactly.
    So try playing GTA while smoking, texting and drinking a fucking 75 oz. big gulp at the same time. I am moving soon. Love so much about this place....but the shit-tards that occupy the majority of Southern CA are just not worth it.
  • Options

I used to be very vocal when it came to voicing my displeasure with other drivers' actions. My wife then started reminding me that 1 out of 10 cars in L.A. are packing heat! I learned my lesson when I was followed by a thuggish-looking driver who took exception after I honked at him and gave him the "what's up with that" motion with my hands. I was able to evade him, luckily.
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I don't really understand Texting period, much less texting while driving. I can understand if you're in a Dr's office waiting room or something, or some situation where you can't really talk, but texting when you can just as easily call somebody (MORE easily I would think) I just don't get. People that know me are aware of the fact that if they text me I won't read it and just call them to ask what the hell they want. But to each their own, however texting while driving is so fucking stupid that I can't even begin to wrap my mind around why somebody would do it.

I recently had a near-accident with a texting driver, and if their had been a car coming the opposite way on this highway it would have likely been fatal for somebody. I was going 65mph down a two lane highway, and up ahead there was a street on the right where a lady was waiting to pull out. She pulled out when I was almost right on top of the intersection and slammed on the breaks (seeing her mistake I suppose) and blocked the lane I was in, I had to swerve into the oncoming lane, narrowly missing her. As I passed I saw she had her cell phone up above the steering wheel in both hands, which is how I figured she was texting as opposed to just playing with her phone. Had there been a car coming down the oncoming lane I would have had to choose between swerving and hitting head on (two cars going 65 in opposite directions hitting head on, likely fatal to both) or just t-boning her on the drivers side at 65 (probably fatal or at least serious to her, and probably not too good for me either even with airbags) neither of which would have been good. All because somebody can't stop fucking around with their phone long enough to pay attention to what they're doing.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380

Yes!!! This!!! I hate that I'm expected to respond to people instantaneously. Chill the frak out!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Yes!!! This!!! I hate that I'm expected to respond to people instantaneously. Chill the frak out!

I'm going to be sending you a twitt in seven minutes. Why haven't you responded yet? :P
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    To the OP,

Yes! My family was almost hit head-on by a texting driver one Sunday morning.

The foolish person was texting as she got OUT of the car after it had crashed into a tree in the center of the road. Thank heaven for that tree. It saved us. She was heading in OUR direction when it stopped her. Idiot. What could have been that important that she needed to text while driving?! :shock:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Distracted Driving Laws

texting was made illegal here in Georgia last summer
    also no cell phone use while driving for those under 18
    even with hands free device

People still text though... $150 fine is the punishment
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    Distracted Driving Laws

texting was made illegal here in Georgia last summer
    also no cell phone use while driving for those under 18
    even with hands free device

People still text though... $150 fine is the punishment

It's illegal in RI too, it's just they're finding it hard to enforce.
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

Concert Wishlist: I am Mine, Marker in the Sand, Parachutes, In Hiding, All Those Yesterdays, I Got Shit, Long Road, Light Years
  • Options
    it's just they're finding it hard to enforce.

they aren't trying very hard. i see it all the time....i also see expired tags all the time...
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    81 wrote:

they aren't trying very hard. i see it all the time....i also see expired tags all the time...

I actually got a ticket for that on the way back from Alpine Valley. I completely forgot and he only knew because I was going 75 in a 65 trying to pass a semi. Not a cheap ticket. Completely a dumb ass moment.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    81 wrote:

I don't understand texting anyway, I'd rather talk to someone. Maybe I'm old but it's easier to talk than text. Is 28 old?
    Post edited by cbrunelle783 on
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

• Options
    81 wrote:

makes you wanna be a cop doesnt it.. so you can nail theyre lawbreaking arses. :lol: i see stupid shit all the time.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say