Options

What Song Benefits Most 'Live vs. Studio' Versions?

F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,621
edited December 2011 in The Porch
Drinking, smoking and cranking PJ 20 Soundtrack and Bu$hleaguer came on -- my thought halfway through the song was that this song is so much better in live versions. Made me stop and consider - What Pearl Jam song do I like MOST live vs. the studio version?

This is not to say that the song is not a great song in the studio version....just that listening to a live version is such a huge difference in your preference.

(Years ago I was at a party with my wife w/some of her 'work friends' and we both were blown away by the beauty of this woman who was there - to the point that we told each other about 5x that she was the most stunning person we had seen in memory. None of my wife's friends knew her...turns out a few months later that she is one of the stars of '2 Days In The Valley' but she just didnt look quite as jaw dropping as she did in real life. Yes, Charlize Theron is the anti-Cameron Diaz. Charlize is gorgeous in any light but in person....I have never seen the like and the 'Studio' version paled in comparison. Tough to believe....but very true.)

Tough question and it took my buzzed head a while to come to my conclusion:
Light Years. I don't know that Light Years on Binaural is Chalize...but the difference between how I rock out listening to the studio and live versions reminds me of that.

Listened to the versions I have and I think 6-30-10 Berlin is my favorite version of them.

What about you?
The love he receives is the love that is saved
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801
    In your condition, Im just surprised you had a thought at all :lol::lol::lol:;)

I would say that the Live Corduroy is better than the studio. I think most of early Pre-Binaural is all better live. Its just the kind of band they are :D
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    I prefer MOST of the Songs "Live" over the "Studio" versions!...although I kinda like the STUDIO version of 'Lukin' over the LIVE version... :)
  • Options
    djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    I'd usually say either Yellow Ledbetter, because its such a fucking love fest when they play it live...

Or Elderly Woman behind the Counter in a Small Town... Just around the point in the song, "I just wanna scream HELLOOOOOOOO!"... Every time I hear that live it sends tingles down my spine...
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • Options
    CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    I like the way the changed "in my tree" during the Riot Act tour better than the studio version
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,621
    dwhite76 wrote:

I would say that the Live Corduroy is better than the studio. I think most of early Pre-Binaural is all better live. Its just the kind of band they are :D

:D
    Agree on both of your points -- but if I am driving down the road and Corduroy from Vitalogy come on I belt it out and enjoy just as much as a live version. First time I saw them in 93 through seeing them in Vancouver I have always felt as you do about them live vs. studio overall. Thanks for your selection!
  • Options
    I like the way the changed "in my tree" during the Riot Act tour better than the studio version

Just bought a batch of boots from that Tour and should have on Mon/Tues, I will check it out, thanks! :thumbup:
  • Options

Just bought a batch of boots from that Tour and should have on Mon/Tues, I will check it out, thanks! :thumbup:
    It is the same on the "Live At MSG" dvd.. a must own
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    i_lov_it wrote:
    I prefer MOST of the Songs "Live" over the "Studio" versions!...although I kinda like the STUDIO version of 'Lukin' over the LIVE version... :)

I felt that way until I saw them at Universal Studio w/the string section and was bowled over.
  • Options

It is the same on the "Live At MSG" dvd.. a must own

Ahh, I have that, will watch that song and pay attn to In My Tree vs the album, thanks!
  • Options
    djklambake wrote:
    I'd usually say either Yellow Ledbetter, because its such a fucking love fest when they play it live...

Or Elderly Woman behind the Counter in a Small Town... Just around the point in the song, "I just wanna scream HELLOOOOOOOO!"... Every time I hear that live it sends tingles down my spine...

Yup. I see you also flew up to the Vancouver show this year -- we got to see that open the show. Fantastic!
  • Options
    Grievance
  • Options
    curlygirly9curlygirly9 Vancouver, WA Posts: 1,872
    There are a few songs that I really don't like at all unless they are live, namely Red Mosquito. The LO2L version kills! Also, I got shit and The Long Road (which are probably my favorite PJ songs) but only when they're live. And Do the Evolution! There are a lot. Interesting! This is why they are an awesome live band. :D
    Rose Garden Arena - Nov 02, 2000, Key Arena - Oct 22, 2001, Key Arena - Dec 08, 2002, Key Arena - Dec 09, 2002, Clark County Amphitheater - Sep 26, 2009
  • Options
    To make a blanket statement:

All songs are better live because I am at a Pearl Jam show!!
  • Options
    To make a blanket statement:

All songs are better live because I am at a Pearl Jam show!!

Agree 1000%

This question was to include boots too - I wish I had been to enough shows to hear all of their stuff in person!
  • Options
    I really didn't get "You Are" until I saw it live in Perth in 2003, and even then it took the second time I heard it live at Newark 2009 to really love it. Now i really crank it loud and get into the groove Stone lays down. On the 2009 tour, Stone's guitar tech ripped out that riff when testing Stone's gear on all the Aussie shows I saw - love it now - better than any effect layered riff that the Edge has put down. )

Supersonic (I love the studio version) really comes alive when played live too. It should be played more.
  • Options
    There are a few songs that I really don't like at all unless they are live, namely Red Mosquito. The LO2L version kills! Also, I got shit and The Long Road (which are probably my favorite PJ songs) but only when they're live. And Do the Evolution! There are a lot. Interesting! This is why they are an awesome live band. :D

Ohh, Long Road and RM were ones that I considered as well, I totally get both of those! :clap:
  • Options
    I really didn't get "You Are" until I saw it live in Perth in 2003, and even then it took the second time I heard it live at Newark 2009 to really love it. Now i really crank it loud and get into the groove Stone lays down. On the 2009 tour, Stone's guitar tech ripped out that riff when testing Stone's gear on all the Aussie shows I saw - love it now - better than any effect layered riff that the Edge has put down. )

Supersonic (I love the studio version) really comes alive when played live too. It should be played more.

I love that the Live version turned on the Studio version for you -- very cool, thanks! Supersonic wasnt one that I thought of, good call.
  • Options

Ohh, Long Road and RM were ones that I considered as well, I totally get both of those! :clap:

It's funny isn't it, I remember the moment I heard - or should I say, really listened to - Rearviewmirror. That moment was a life changing - if not saving - moment. It totally kicks arse live!
  • Options

It's funny isn't it, I remember the moment I heard - or should I say, really listened to - Rearviewmirror. That moment was a life changing - if not saving - moment. It totally kicks arse live!

For sure! :D
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,867
    personally Not For You is wayyyy better when you are there. I don't mean hearing it on a bootleg, I mean physically being there.

Best bootleg/live version is SNL 1994
  • Options
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    personally Not For You is wayyyy better when you are there. I don't mean hearing it on a bootleg, I mean physically being there.

Best bootleg/live version is SNL 1994

I believe it was KROQ in LA that I listened to for a live show the band played right before they released that record....and the next day I kept playing Not For You over and over on my old Gibson classical...it stuck with me from that first listen. Thanks!
  • Options
    djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    djklambake wrote:

Yup. I see you also flew up to the Vancouver show this year -- we got to see that open the show. Fantastic!

Yep! It was an OUTSTANDING opener!
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • Options
    dwhite76 wrote:

After reading the wall of text and then reading this, i just had to laugh so hard. +1. If i had to choose it would be Green Disease. I just love the light show that comes with the song!
  • Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011

:shock:

That is blasphemy! ;)

I have to say Light Years, Do The Evolution, and Release are the ones I most prefer live.

Studio wise, there's never been a better performance of Breath than on the Singles soundtrack, in my opinion...
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    I would have to say Porch. Wow.
    Vienna 2006, London 2007, Copenhagen 2007, Manchester 2009, London 2009, Dublin 2010, Belfast 2010, London 2010, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1 2012, Berlin 2 2012, Stockholm 2012, Oslo 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Milano 2014, Trieste 2014, Berlin 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014.
  • Options
    LamentLament Posts: 294
    I can't think of a single Pearl Jam song that I prefer the bootleg/live version to the studio version. In everybody's excitement over the never-ending stream of bootlegs from the last eleven years, it seems like a lot of people have seemed to lose sight of just how incredible a lot of their studio records are. The performances captured by the various producers over the years are nothing short of stunning, especially from 93-98. Talk about making a habit of catching lightning in a bottle over and over and over again...

(For the record, I'm not talking about being in the venue and listening to the song being performed right in front of you, I'm talking about listening back to live recordings. All of the various other, non-performance factors that come into play when you're present at a show make it too hard for me to genuinely compare studio vs. live in that case...)
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    I'm listening much more to live PJ than studio PJ and there are lots of songs that I prefer in the live versions. For example some stuff on Lost Dogs. I love each and every song of that album, but some of the studio versions sound kind of odd to me when compared to the live versions. Footsteps would be an example (sorry, thrilla :P ). Footsteps definitely benefits from being played live. And I loved In the moonlight in Alpine, that is also one song that I never really got into before I heard it live.
    But maybe I feel like this cause I heard most of these songs in live versions before I listened to the album versions :shifty:
    There are some songs where I prefer the studio versions, though. In my opinion, Indifference has never sounded better than on the album. There are great live versions of it, but to me, the studio version is perfect. (Although I must say, I'm spinning the PJ20 vinyl right now and Indifference is on and it's wonderful) The same goes for I got shit. This is one of my absolute faves and I went on a long search to find the perfect live version of it, but somehow never really found it. I prefer the early recordings of it, cause they used to play this song in a much slower pace. Loved to hear it in Toronto, though :) Corduroy or Nothingman are fantastic live, and I found a new love for Given to fly by listening to boots. And I equally love the studio and live versions of Release and Long Road.

In the end it's a matter of personal taste. I'd rather be at a PJ gig :D

PS: Please, PJ, re-issue Benny Hall on vinyl!
  • Options
    myramyra Posts: 1,257
    Leeze wrote:
    I'm listening much more to live PJ than studio PJ and there are lots of songs that I prefer in the live versions. For example some stuff on the second disc of Lost Dogs. I love each and every song of that album, but some of the studio versions sound kind of odd to me when compared to the live versions. Footsteps would be an example (sorry, thrilla :P ). Footsteps definitely benefits from being played live. But maybe I feel like this cause I got to listen to the live versions before I actually listened to the studio ones :shifty: And I love Benny Hall.
    There are some songs where I prefer the studio versions, though. In my opinion, Indifference has never sounded better than on the album. There are great live versions of it, but to me, the studio version is perfect. The same goes for I got shit. This is one of my absolute faves and I went on a long search to find the perfect live version of it, but somehow never really found it. I prefer the early recordings of it, cause they used to play this song in a much slower pace. Nowadays it's one of the songs that is just played too fast, in my opinion. (I went crazy with joy, though, when they played it in Toronto, cause I was there.) Corduroy or Nothingman are fantastic live, and I found a new love for Given to fly by listening to boots. And I equally love the studio and live versions of Release and Long Road.

In the end it's a matter of personal taste. I'd rather be at a PJ gig :D

PS: Please, PJ, re-issue Benny Hall on vinyl!

Definitely agree with you there, Leeze !

I prefer most songs in their live renditions. This is especially true for Footsteps, probably for the same reason as you. My favorite rendition I guess will remain the first time I've heard this song, ie the 1993/11/17 New- Orleans version.
    And Given to fly has reached anthem status live now - the build up is increased so much so that sometimes you even wonder if Ed will manage to 'bring it back home' and the studio version lacks the crowd input to me :lol:

Of the top of my head right now, the only songs I prefer the studio versions of are I got Id and Gone.
    I disagree on Indifference though. I think I'd take the Bologna 2006 rendition over the studio version.
  • Options
    Vytis33Vytis33 Posts: 184
    Do the Evolution gets my vote. Live dominates the studio version.
  • Options
    Honestly, I find most PJ songs infinitely better live. If I had to choose though, Severed Hand, Not For You, Porch, NAIS, Long Road and Animal are songs I absolutely love live.