Options

Tool

Comments

• Options
    I loved the new Puscifer album, but not so much the older stuff. There was a few songs here and there that were okay, and I did really like their cover of Rocket Man.

Maynard and Steve Drozd? Yeah it's a great cover.

Yeah I guess it's not exactly a Puscifer song but it streams on their website.

Oh does it? I didn't know that... Well I bought it a while ago anyway....
  • Options
    I saw Tool at the Garden and was blown away. They were absolutely amazing. However, I do agree that they don't really vary their setlists. I was also a little disappointed that Maynard stood behind a movie screen the whole time. But it was a great show.
    Flocstyle
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    monty2009 wrote:
    I saw Tool at the Garden and was blown away. They were absolutely amazing. However, I do agree that they don't really vary their setlists. I was also a little disappointed that Maynard stood behind a movie screen the whole time. But it was a great show.

You're the second person to point this out. Does he stand behind a screen? I think every time I've seen him he's been in front of it.

Another thing I forgot to mention earlier.... It kinda slipped my mind how badass his performances were on the Lateralus tour. He was still in dress up mode. He had on leather jumpsuit for the first half and came back for the encores in a speedo with his spine scorpion tatoo traced in glowing paint. He got alot more into the music then, too. And I don't usually care about this sorta thing, but his "dancing" seemed to be very in tune with the music.
  • Options
    Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    DewieCox wrote:
    monty2009 wrote:

You're the second person to point this out. Does he stand behind a screen? I think every time I've seen him he's been in front of it.

Another thing I forgot to mention earlier.... It kinda slipped my mind how badass his performances were on the Lateralus tour. He was still in dress up mode. He had on leather jumpsuit for the first half and came back for the encores in a speedo with his spine scorpion tatoo traced in glowing paint. He got alot more into the music then, too. And I don't usually care about this sorta thing, but his "dancing" seemed to be very in tune with the music.

In Camden he was in front of the screens beside Danny on the drums... he just seems to blend into what's being shown on the screens since he is never given the spot light.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Options
    I honestly don't think he's ever stood behind the screen. Just the way the shadows and such work out it could seem that way.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Options
    Im pretty sure he's always in front of the screen, but when he's not doing anything - singing or dancing his yoga dance, he'll go chill behind Danny and kinda hide out till he's gotta come back and sing again.

Now, can someone please explain to me what the HELL happened during Sober at the Izod Center? 12 minute Sober and for what?!?!?! So some dude can come out and rap? (is that what that's supposed to be????) Sounded like one of the parents from Charlie Brown! And it was freaking killer up until "Will" came out (3:45 mark) :x :roll:

http://youtu.be/ldcklbX7RqU
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Options
    Im pretty sure he's always in front of the screen, but when he's not doing anything - singing or dancing his yoga dance, he'll go chill behind Danny and kinda hide out till he's gotta come back and sing again.

Now, can someone please explain to me what the HELL happened during Sober at the Izod Center? 12 minute Sober and for what?!?!?! So some dude can come out and rap? (is that what that's supposed to be????) Sounded like one of the parents from Charlie Brown! And it was freaking killer up until "Will" came out (3:45 mark) :x :roll:

I liked it.

:lol:
  • Options

I liked it.

:lol:

Yeah that was... different. It did sound pretty cool though. Interesting.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Options
    THE LOOKTHE LOOK Posts: 324
    I went to Tool this past Saturday here in Charlotte. The show was increadible !!! Thanks Tool for palying Charlotte,NC !!! :D
    Bigfoot is blurry.
    - Mitch Hedberg
  • Options
    stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    WaveRyder wrote:
    I once saw Tool twice on one tour. the shows were identical. sames songs, same order

It is not unusual for a band to do this for an entire tour,the cost and planning to change every gig would not be a viable option.

I have seen Tool and thought they were amazing live,they are what they are for the type of band they are,Maynard is never going to be Dave Grohl in the way he entertains the audience,I can't say anything about if the guy is a dink or not as I don't know him.But I went to see them live and got what I expected,their live show is as visually stunning and as musically atmospheric and claustrophobic as their albums
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Options
    WaveRyderWaveRyder Posts: 1,128
    stargirl69 wrote:
    WaveRyder wrote:
    I once saw Tool twice on one tour. the shows were identical. sames songs, same order

the cost and planning to change every gig would not be a viable option.

what planet are you living on? What band's website are we posting on right now? You mean to tell me it costs money to play different songs?
    RC, SoDak 1998 - KC 2000 - Council Bluffs IA 2003 - Fargo ND 2003 - St. Paul MN 2003 - Alpine Valley 2003 - St Louis MO 2004 - Kissimmee FLA 2004 - Winnipeg 2005 - Thunder Bay 2005 - Chicago 2006 - Grand Rapids MI 2006 - Denver CO 2006 - Lollapalooza 2007 - Bonnaroo 2008 - Austin City Limits 2009 - Los Angeles 2009 - KC 2010 - St Louis MO 2010 - PJ20 Night 1 - PJ20 Night 2
  • Options
    stargirl69 wrote:

It is not unusual for a band to do this for an entire tour,

i realize this.....its also not unusual for people to listen to Brittany Spears...... doesnt make it right.
    RC, SoDak 1998 - KC 2000 - Council Bluffs IA 2003 - Fargo ND 2003 - St. Paul MN 2003 - Alpine Valley 2003 - St Louis MO 2004 - Kissimmee FLA 2004 - Winnipeg 2005 - Thunder Bay 2005 - Chicago 2006 - Grand Rapids MI 2006 - Denver CO 2006 - Lollapalooza 2007 - Bonnaroo 2008 - Austin City Limits 2009 - Los Angeles 2009 - KC 2010 - St Louis MO 2010 - PJ20 Night 1 - PJ20 Night 2
  • Options
    WaveRyder wrote:
    what planet are you living on? What band's website are we posting on right now? You mean to tell me it costs money to play different songs?

Yes that is what I am saying,The entire tour costs money man,and the band will be promoting a certain album most of the time.So by planning they will be playing a large amount of that album.

I have seen many bands often on the same tour and it was identical,including Pearl Jam at Finsbury Park and the Astoria London way back early 90's same set both nights.
    Have also seen Rush,Foo Fighters,Soundgarden,Bob Dylan,Neil Young,Muse,Radiohead,REM,U2,NIN do the same set over various nights.
    WaveRyder wrote:
    i realize this.....its also not unusual for people to listen to Brittany Spears...... doesnt make it right.

Did I say it was right? No! But it happens

How much change per gig do you expect? Most people don't go to multiple gigs per tour so they won't notice.
  • Options
    stargirl69 wrote:
    WaveRyder wrote:

Yes that is what I am saying,The entire tour costs money man,and the band will be promoting a certain album most of the time.So by planning they will be playing a large amount of that album.

I have seen many bands often on the same tour and it was identical,including Pearl Jam at Finsbury Park and the Astoria London way back early 90's same set both nights.
    Have also seen Rush,Foo Fighters,Soundgarden,Bob Dylan,Neil Young,Muse,Radiohead,REM,U2,NIN do the same set over various nights.
    WaveRyder wrote:

How much change per gig do you expect? Most people don't go to multiple gigs per tour so they won't notice.

Pearl Jam plays a different show everynight........ i guess i shouldnt hold bands to PJ standard?
  • Options
    WaveRyder wrote:
    stargirl69 wrote:
    WaveRyder wrote:

WaveRyder wrote:

Pearl Jam plays a different show everynight........ i guess i shouldnt hold bands to PJ standard?

Now maybe but way back in the day they didn't.This was most likely based on not enough material with just the first few albums,I know they change it up now man,it's what makes them great indeed but they are in the minority of bands that do that.
  • Options
    stargirl69 wrote:
    I know they change it up now man,it's what makes them great indeed but they are in the minority of bands that do that.

to me, that's what makes a band great. people go on and on about how fuckin awesome tool is, but imo they're overrated. Over rehearsed, over hyped and overly loved.
  • Options
    WaveRyder wrote:
    stargirl69 wrote:
    I know they change it up now man,it's what makes them great indeed but they are in the minority of bands that do that.

to me, that's what makes a band great. people go on and on about how fuckin awesome tool is, but imo they're overrated. Over rehearsed, over hyped and overly loved.

Each to their own man.
    I like Tool,I have all their albums,I have seen them live and very much enjoyed it.I don't love them and I certainly don't worship them and think they can do no wrong,they are simply a band I enjoy.
    Are they more important to me than Pearl Jam? No way but they are in my music collection for a reason,I believe they are good musicians,I like how their music makes me feel,I don't play them round the clock,I have to be in the mood for them but when I am in the mood for them they hit the spot for me nicely.
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,492
    WaveRyder wrote:
    stargirl69 wrote:
    WaveRyder wrote:

Not sure about cost really being an issue. It's more that the band doesn't want to bother to learn too many songs. They want to play a tight show without mistakes and that means perfecting a small subset of their catalog.

Some also have specific visuals to accompany a particular setlist and completely changing the setlist every night doesn't work with the "show".

I prefer a band that changes up the setlist, but not very many do. But going back to my first point, PJ doesn't seem to really rehearse all the songs they play, thus all the mistakes.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,064
    WaveRyder wrote:
    stargirl69 wrote:
    WaveRyder wrote:

I thought the difference was obvious. Pearl Jam has no production at all, thus giving them the freedom to do what they do. Tool has multiple video screens, lighting rigs, and lasers that are giving a distinct visual element that's unique to each song. The cost and innovation involved in creating enough to enable varied setlists each night would be astronomical. They have vastly different visions of what their live experience is going to be and, in my opinion, both bands pull it off in spades.
  • Options
    pjl44 wrote:

I thought the difference was obvious. Pearl Jam has no production at all, thus giving them the freedom to do what they do. Tool has multiple video screens, lighting rigs, and lasers that are giving a distinct visual element that's unique to each song. The cost and innovation involved in creating enough to enable varied setlists each night would be astronomical. They have vastly different visions of what their live experience is going to be and, in my opinion, both bands pull it off in spades.

Well fucking said.
  • Options
    i get it. but i dont like it. I went and saw tool in Sept 2002 and then again in October 2002..... the exact same show......every song in the same exact order.

not to mention maynard is a dick. standing in the dark the whole time and mocking the crowd almost always.
  • Options
    WaveRyder wrote:
    i get it. but i dont like it. I went and saw tool in Sept 2002 and then again in October 2002..... the exact same show......every song in the same exact order.

not to mention maynard is a dick. standing in the dark the whole time and mocking the crowd almost always.

It's just not your thing. We get it too.
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420

i hope that doesn't happen tonight. that was annoying. and what is everyone chatting about? it sounded like whoever was recording that was on the lawn at a dave matthews show.
  • Options
    megatron wrote:

i hope that doesn't happen tonight. that was annoying. and what is everyone chatting about? it sounded like whoever was recording that was on the lawn at a dave matthews show.

I hope they bring back Ticks & Leeches for you. :) (Seems to have been dropped from the set list since Mohegan Sun)...Sober, while a great song, is definitely not worth the trade out if they're gonna add in that dumb shit.
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,064
    WaveRyder wrote:

No sweat. It's not for everyone. Your time would be better served finding threads about bands you do really enjoy and posting some positive experiences from those shows.
  • Options
    KH71368KH71368 Florida Posts: 65
    Saw Tool yesterday in Sunrise, FL.

Worst concert ever.

1. Can't understand a word Maynard says. The sound of the instruments was good, but it was bouncing of the tin can Bank Atlantic Center walls.
    2. Maynard stands on the drum riser in the dark. WTF? Go see a psychologist and get your stage freight cured.
    3. The guitarist and bassist don't move more than 5 feet from their playing positions.
    4. The visuals don't look like they have been updated since the early 90's.
    5. $80 + $20 parking for that crap?
    6. All t-shirts $40 at concession stand.
    7. They were selling a signed drum cover for $600. What balls.
    8. About 1 second after the last syllable came out of Maynard's mouth he left the stage jumped in an SUV and got a police escort out of the venue.

I understand if you like the music (I do like the music), but anyone who liked this concert is ignorant about live performances.

Your time will be better spent lying in your bed with the lights off listening to AEnima.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    KH71368 wrote:

Worst concert ever.

1. Can't understand a word Maynard says. The sound of the instruments was good, but it was bouncing of the tin can Bank Atlantic Center walls.
    2. Maynard stands on the drum riser in the dark. WTF? Go see a psychologist and get your stage freight cured.
    3. The guitarist and bassist don't move more than 5 feet from their playing positions.
    8. About 1 second after the last syllable came out of Maynard's mouth he left the stage jumped in an SUV and got a police escort out of the venue.

I understand if you like the music (I do like the music), but anyone who liked this concert is ignorant about live performances.

Your time will be better spent lying in your bed with the lights off listening to AEnima.

1. Sound can only be so clear in an arena
    2. Doubt he has stage fright, but someone that hasn't seen them for more than 10 years might be surprised at him hangin towards the back.
    3. Adam Jones is constantly switching effects off and on or adding synth parts to the songs so he can't really stray too far from his rig.
    4. Almost none of the songs they play were even out in the early 90s, most not even in the 90s but I can tell you most, if not all of the videos have been updated a time or 2 since 2006
    5. $80 for a band as in demand Tool and the production overall seems fair. Doubt they set the parking.
    6. The same as every other major touring act.
    7. That seems steep.
    8. Just like every other band. Bands will often leave the lights off a little longer so they can beat the rush to the interstate.

I've been at close to 50 shows from pretty major bands and I could make a pretty convincing argument that all 4 Tool shows were in the top 10.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    KH71368 wrote:

Worst concert ever.

2. Doubt he has stage fright, but someone that hasn't seen them for more than 10 years might be surprised at him hangin towards the back.
    3. Adam Jones is constantly switching effects off and on or adding synth parts to the songs so he can't really stray too far from his rig.
    4. Almost none of the songs they play were even out in the early 90s, most not even in the 90s but I can tell you most, if not all of the videos have been updated a time or 2 since 2006
    5. $80 for a band as in demand Tool and the production overall seems fair. Doubt they set the parking.
    7. That seems steep.
    8. Just like every other band. Bands will often leave the lights off a little longer so they can beat the rush to the interstate.

I've been at close to 50 shows from pretty major bands and I could make a pretty convincing argument that all 4 Tool shows were in the top 10.

I approve the DewieCox message
    :thumbup:

In addition, I would further like to quote myself
    Can I just say, that I have a whole new appreciation for Adam Jones?
    Ive always considered Tool a drum & bass driven band, but man that guy really does bring a lot to the table.
    After standing directly in front of him for 90 mins, I can absolutely say, that guy kicks major ass.
    And he can play a killer talk box!!

In closing:
    Research the venue and dish out cash for a good seat if sound is important to you. Location is everything my friend. If your in the nosebleeds, there is a good chance its gonna sound like trash. If your that far away, your not gonna be able to see what the guys are actually doing on stage. (here I am assuming KH71368 had shitty seats, just as he/she assumed
    KH71368 wrote:
    anyone who liked this concert is ignorant about live performances.

Sorry you had a bad experience. It sux to feel like you've bent over for your had earned cash. Better luck next time, if there is a next time...

• Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    KH71368 wrote:

Worst concert ever.

7. That seems steep.

I wanted to add to #3. Justin Chancellor bass parts are pretty intense and busy. As a bass player I find them hard to play and it's tough to move around and go around the stage with the stuff he is playing. He's also busy with pedals and stuff (though not as much as Adam).

Justin's board, amps, bass if you're interested (circa 2010)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kat6WNU ... _embedded#!
  • Options
    I went to the show here in Atlanta last night and I thought it was fucking great! I dont own any Tool albums and only know what gets played on the radio stations... Its tough to get into other live performances when Ive seen PJ 30+ times. Merch sucked. Except for the Poster and the womens Tees.