Options

Tool

Comments

• Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    Rosetta Stoned is a damn masterpiece. That was one of the highlights of each of the 3 times I saw them on the last tour. I couldn't sit down for that song even if I wanted to. God damn. Shit the bed.

"Lost Keys (Blame Hoffman)" and into "Rosetta Stoned" is so awesome. I've started listening to 10,000 Days a lot more lately.

I listened to it a ton when it came out. It hasn't aged quite as well, but I still really like about everything on there. I was having a discussion with a buddy saturday night about it. We agreed that it doesn't stand up to their other albums very well. My opinion may be a bit different if I didn't know how to play so many of the tunes off of Aenima and Lateralus. There's several instances of them rehashing riffs and patterns from those 2 albums on 10k Days. Still really good tunes, but it's always bugged me a bit.

Very true. I can lay down bass to a couple of tracks so I totally see what you mean.
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,492
    Rosetta Stoned is a damn masterpiece. That was one of the highlights of each of the 3 times I saw them on the last tour. I couldn't sit down for that song even if I wanted to. God damn. Shit the bed.

I just can't get in to that song for anything. It's probably my least favorite Tool song not counting some of the obvious filler tracks. I skip it when I listen to the CD and I don't even have it on my iPod. The music may be great but I just can't get past the spoken-word, heavy-effects vocals and the, IMO, ridiculous lyrics.

Wings For Marie/10,000 Days -- now thats a masterpiece! :)
  • Options

I just can't get in to that song for anything. It's probably my least favorite Tool song not counting some of the obvious filler tracks. I skip it when I listen to the CD and I don't even have it on my iPod. The music may be great but I just can't get past the spoken-word, heavy-effects vocals and the, IMO, ridiculous lyrics.

If you have ever taken good acid before, you will enjoy Rosetta Stoned more.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412

If you have ever taken good acid before, you will enjoy Rosetta Stoned more.

It's actually about a guy using dmt, which is the same stuff EV is singin about in Severed Hand. Always thought it was kinda funny that there was 2 songs from 2 of my favorite bands about it, released on the same day.

I loved Wing/10k Days at first, but it got kinda boring quick. Hardly sounds like Tool to me.
  • Options
    Nothing that includes Danny Carey could possibly be boring. Ever.
    That guy is a freakin beast!

Sometimes we forget (myself included) that not every band changes their setlist every night. Bands that try to, dont switch it up enough (MMJ) and bands that dont, well, you learn to live with it and enjoy the 90 minutes you get every few years, and hope you can catch them a few times before they call it quits.

Tool is one of my favorite bands, and Aenema is one of the albums that would be coming with me to a deserted island. That considered, I'll be at Mohegan Sun 8-)
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Options
    DewieCox wrote:

It's actually about a guy using dmt, which is the same stuff EV is singin about in Severed Hand. Always thought it was kinda funny that there was 2 songs from 2 of my favorite bands about it, released on the same day.

I loved Wing/10k Days at first, but it got kinda boring quick. Hardly sounds like Tool to me.

Okay. Take Psychedelics than... :lol:

Thanks
  • Options

To each their own, of course. Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned is great story telling in my opinion. Even though I've always thought the story was pretty similar to Comfortably Numb.

But I do agree that Wings 1 and 2 are insanely good as well, same with Right in Two. Those all have just amazing lyrics.

I also agree that 10,000 Days as a whole does have some rehashed riffs to it, I can't deny that, but I still love it. It's very underrated in my opinion. It stayed in my cd player for almost 3 months strait when it came out which meant it took me a while to get to the PJ album that came out the same day.

But I think if people don't like 10,000 Days then chances may be they don't like the next Tool album. I think that style is more suited for Maynard's voice now so I think we should expect more stuff like that I the future.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Options

To each their own, of course. Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned is great story telling in my opinion. Even though I've always thought the story was pretty similar to Comfortably Numb.

But I do agree that Wings 1 and 2 are insanely good as well, same with Right in Two. Those all have just amazing lyrics.

I also agree that 10,000 Days as a whole does have some rehashed riffs to it, I can't deny that, but I still love it. It's very underrated in my opinion. It stayed in my cd player for almost 3 months strait when it came out which meant it took me a while to get to the PJ album that came out the same day.

But I think if people don't like 10,000 Days then chances may be they don't like the next Tool album. I think that style is more suited for Maynard's voice now so I think we should expect more stuff like that I the future.

I just wanted to add that his voice is still phenomenal live. Sounded fantastic over the summer.
  • Options
    I think his voice is that great live because he won't touch certain songs anymore, he will only sing what he is comfortable with.
  • Options
    I think his voice is that great live because he won't touch certain songs anymore, he will only sing what he is comfortable with.

True.

The setlist didn't bother me though

setlist-image-v1?id=3bd360e4
  • Options
    youngster wrote:
    I like Tool. I have liked them since Undertow came out in 93. Have all their albums. But they are one of those bands that I have to be in a certain mood to listen to them. Very talented and Adam is an amazing artist and grapic designer. The 10,000 days artwork still blows my mind to this day. I am fine with not seeing them live. Definately not a band I could listen to everyday.

I totally agree
    2013 : London, Buffalo
    WaveRyderWaveRyder Posts: 1,128

True.

i didnt know A Perfect Circle was a cover band..... ;)
    RC, SoDak 1998 - KC 2000 - Council Bluffs IA 2003 - Fargo ND 2003 - St. Paul MN 2003 - Alpine Valley 2003 - St Louis MO 2004 - Kissimmee FLA 2004 - Winnipeg 2005 - Thunder Bay 2005 - Chicago 2006 - Grand Rapids MI 2006 - Denver CO 2006 - Lollapalooza 2007 - Bonnaroo 2008 - Austin City Limits 2009 - Los Angeles 2009 - KC 2010 - St Louis MO 2010 - PJ20 Night 1 - PJ20 Night 2
  • Options
    WaveRyder wrote:

True.

eMotive was pretty much all cover songs. They never did do a proper tour for that album so when they toured this year they did mostly songs from that song.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    DewieCox wrote:

Severed Hand is about DMT? I mean I knew it was about tripping but I didnt know it was about DMT. How are you so sure?
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    WaveRyder wrote:

True.

I guess you haven't heard eMOTIVe? 8-)
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

Severed Hand is about DMT? I mean I knew it was about tripping but I didnt know it was about DMT. How are you so sure?

EV said it was based on a ayahuasca experience in a radio interview
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

EV said it was based on a ayahuasca experience in a radio interview

DMT is the major component of an Ayahuasca brew. When you're using it with an MAOI, you're tripping on DMT.
  • Options
    WaveRyderWaveRyder Posts: 1,128

sarcasm. I always liked APC better than Tool but was a bit turned off my the cover album. Making money off of other people's shit, i dont like that much. If they donated the proceeds to something, like PJ did with last kiss, I am not aware of it.
    RC, SoDak 1998 - KC 2000 - Council Bluffs IA 2003 - Fargo ND 2003 - St. Paul MN 2003 - Alpine Valley 2003 - St Louis MO 2004 - Kissimmee FLA 2004 - Winnipeg 2005 - Thunder Bay 2005 - Chicago 2006 - Grand Rapids MI 2006 - Denver CO 2006 - Lollapalooza 2007 - Bonnaroo 2008 - Austin City Limits 2009 - Los Angeles 2009 - KC 2010 - St Louis MO 2010 - PJ20 Night 1 - PJ20 Night 2
  • Options
    WaveRyder wrote:

sarcasm. I always liked APC better than Tool but was a bit turned off my the cover album. Making money off of other people's shit, i dont like that much. If they donated the proceeds to something, like PJ did with last kiss, I am not aware of it.

Interesting. I'm sure the artists or their estates were compensated.
  • Options
    zarocatzarocat Posts: 1,901
    1996: Toronto
    1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: Noblesville 
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    zarocat wrote:

"I WILL WIFE THIS BITCH!"

:lol:
  • Options
    zarocatzarocat Posts: 1,901
    1996: Toronto
    1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: Noblesville 
  • Options
    zarocat wrote:

I'm surprised they did Intention but not Right In Two.
  • Options
    zarocat wrote:

I'll 2nd that :shock: :shock: even though Blair had hinted at Ticks a few weeks ago. Surely be one of the every other night tunes, unless Maynard found the fountain of youth. Hooker w/a Penis is so fuckin awesome too and Pushit(studio) may be my absolute favorite of theirs.

sidenote...the new Puscifer album is really great. Had the lowest expectations, but it's really fantastic.
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    90 minute show. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,492
    That setlist is better than I was expecting, still not enough to get me to go to a show this time around. Holding out for new stuff until I go see them again.
  • Options

I dunno if they're still doin all the synth interludes, but if they cut those out I wouldn't complain too hard about 90 minutes. They kinda blow, all sound similar and they don't necessarily better the music. They could play longer for sure, but Danny Carey's got a helluvalot goin on back there. I would think Maynard has somethin to do with it too.
  • Options
    albert83albert83 Saskatoon, SK Posts: 109
    edited January 2012
    This in my opinion is probably the best set since the lateralus tour.
    Post edited by albert83 on
  • Options
    zarocat wrote:

I can get down with that.
    Open with Hooker w/ a Penis - thats a strange song to open with, no??
    but the rest is badass.
    Close w/ Aenema :D

Jan 31 cant come soon enough!
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293

A Perfect Circle....

90 Minute Show. 90 Minutes of greatness in front of my eyes.