Options

The Hartford Crowd

nothingman44nothingman44 Posts: 1,495
edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
I personally thought the crowd sucked in Hartford, and many of my friends who were scattered amongst the venue would agree with me as well. I used a friends extra 10c ticket and we were in the 6th row of section 200. almost everyone within my view around me was just not feelin in. the kids in the row in front of us were so annoying. as soon as a song came on that they didnt know, they lost interest and started talking about what they did last weekend while another one of their friends went to get another round of beers. and these were kids in the fifth row.

i was very disappointed in the hartford crowd.

and also, that venue is a shithole! but i guess that is for another thread.

however, the band was on fire!

edit: i just read somewhere else that alot of the seats in the front section went to the venue's season ticket holders. thus explaining why the people in the front sections basically didnt give a shit.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,796
    i dont give a rats ass about the hartford crowd.....

i bet you still had a kick ass time......
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    Well, um ... Its Hartford.
    :)

Sorry ... It just doesn't conjure up images of the greatest crowd in history. Still got a good set, though.
  • Options
    Well, um ... Its Hartford.
    :)

Sorry ... It just doesn't conjure up images of the greatest crowd in history. Still got a good set, though.

true i think i had high expectations for hartford for some reason. the crowd really let me down.

much thanks to the band for a great show though.
  • Options
    Crowd was definitely not the best. But here is something to put it into perspective.

My buddy who is a big dead head went with me last night. It was his first PJ show ever. He thought the whole experience rocked, including the crowd.

So all things being relative...even a not-so-hot PJ crowd is still better than any other crowd you'll find.

Finally, come to Boston...We'll show you a crowd!!!
    This one goes to 11...
  • Options
    colorsblendcolorsblend Posts: 173
    The Hartford crowd paled in comparison to Albany the night before. In Albany, the entire first 3 rows were going nuts. Hartford seemed a little more subdued from where I was. People in my section (800 DD) were jumping and singing, but the second a slow song hit (like Sleight or Inside Job) a lot of people sat. Personally, dancing kept me warm, so I didn't mind.
  • Options
    smartass1235smartass1235 Posts: 136
    i was surrounded with ten clubbers in sec. 400. we rocked it out the whole show. its like i always say, i dont care where i sit its who i sit with that matters
    4-30-03
    7-06-03
    7-11-03
    9-28-04
    9-29-04
    5-13-06
    6-03-06
    6-27-08
  • Options
    marc34marc34 Boston MA Posts: 221
    I was in the 12th row on Stones side (Thanks 10c) and the people in my area were def diehard fans, but I did see a lot of people in the front who werent. I cannot say for sure, but just by looks alone I dont think they were very low number members (just assuming, I could be wrong)
    Hartford 96
    Mansfield 98 x 2
    Mansfield 00 x2
    Mansfield 03 x 3
    Boston 04 VFC x 2
    Hartford 06
    Boston 06 x 2
    Hartford 08
    Mansfield 08 x 2
    EV Boston 08 x 2
    Hartford 10
    Boston 10
    EV Providence 11
    EV Boston 11
    EV Hartford 11
    Worcester 13 x 2
    Hartford 13
    Buffalo 13
    Baltimore 13
    Fenway 2016 x 2
    Hot Stove 2017
    Fenway 2018 x 2
  • Options
    TheHotRockTheHotRock Posts: 71
    hartford crowd blew. more excitement on the lawn than anywhere else. Albany crowd was great.
    8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, 11/14/02(letterman), 4/30/03, 6/6/03, 7/6/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 3/18/05, 9/2/05, 9/4/05, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/5/06, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/22/06, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 7/6/06
  • Options
    the crowd was fine, the music was great...people around me were pretty into it...I don't care if the guy next to me isn't into the music as much as myself...it's just not important...when I'm at a show, it's just me and the band...I've never let a crowd take me out of a concert.

btw, I will never go to a show there ever again. such a dump that place...
  • Options
    bostonmarc wrote:
    I was in the 12th row on Stones side (Thanks 10c) and the people in my area were def diehard fans, but I did see a lot of people in the front who werent. I cannot say for sure, but just by looks alone I dont think they were very low number members (just assuming, I could be wrong)

there is no way that all of the people in the front were all senior 10c members. i read somewhere else that the season ticket holders scooped up alot of the better seats near the stage.

crowd in front of the stage was weak.
  • Options
    I personally thought the crowd sucked in Hartford, and many of my friends who were scattered amongst the venue would agree with me as well. I used a friends extra 10c ticket and we were in the 6th row of section 200. almost everyone within my view around me was just not feelin in. the kids in the row in front of us were so annoying. as soon as a song came on that they didnt know, they lost interest and started talking about what they did last weekend while another one of their friends went to get another round of beers. and these were kids in the fifth row.

i was very disappointed in the hartford crowd.

and also, that venue is a shithole! but i guess that is for another thread.

however, the band was on fire!

edit: i just read somewhere else that alot of the seats in the front section went to the venue's season ticket holders. thus explaining why the people in the front sections basically didnt give a shit.

I was sitting in section 200, last row before those little box seat thingys with single chairs. The row in front of me suddenly doubled in size about 10 minutes into the show. These frat boy-types called their friends on their phones and told them there was enough room to come sneak down and before I knew it there was like an additional 15 people squeezed into the row. I tapped the kid in front of me and told him to move his friends around because I couldn't see and he told me it wasn't him, that other people snuck into the row. Um, okay. I didn't want an argument to start and just wanted to watch the show so I let it go.

The girls in front of me were taking photos of each other all night and actually asked the next to me to take pictures of them during Garden. Woman seemed a little annoyed but did it anyway and I rolled my eyes when the girls turned around and asked the woman to take another one because the picture didn't come out the way they wanted.

All in all, I didn't particularly like that venue. Many people seemed hostile, especially in the parking lot. My friend and I parked in the free lot way down the road and while the people we met there were cool (shout out to the fellow NYer sitting on his car hood who commented on my Yankee cap! :) ) there were some real assholes there, too.

And the city of Hartford? It felt like the twilight zone, wandering aimlessly around that empty city for hours looking for something to do!
  • Options
    thatgirlthatgirl Posts: 3,671
    The Hartford crowd paled in comparison to Albany the night before. In Albany, the entire first 3 rows were going nuts. Hartford seemed a little more subdued from where I was. People in my section (800 DD) were jumping and singing, but the second a slow song hit (like Sleight or Inside Job) a lot of people sat. Personally, dancing kept me warm, so I didn't mind.
    the guys next to us were havin a good time, in fact after black when i kinda settled down for a bit, he asked me what happened to all my energy!! luckily they played DTE and i was jumpin around again.

i think the people in front of us actually said that they got the tickets from their boss at work, who they were sitting next to, im thinking they were also season ticket holders.

ps-the venue sucks balls. middle of nowhere. it would have sucked even more if we have to walk across that highway in the rain. hartford overall sucks.
    "I hear Fanch has a Pimp Cup and loves Kiss. I think that's all that really matters."
  • Options
    Hands boundHands bound Posts: 534
    thatgirl wrote:
    the guys next to us were havin a good time, in fact after black when i kinda settled down for a bit, he asked me what happened to all my energy!! luckily they played DTE and i was jumpin around again.

i think the people in front of us actually said that they got the tickets from their boss at work, who they were sitting next to, im thinking they were also season ticket holders.

ps-the venue sucks balls. middle of nowhere. it would have sucked even more if we have to walk across that highway in the rain. hartford overall sucks.

Completely agree.

They should have played the Civic Center...right next to our hotel and right across the street from the bar :)
    Underneath this smile lies everything
    all my hopes, anger, pride and shame...
  • Options
    Completely agree.

They should have played the Civic Center...right next to our hotel and right across the street from the bar :)
    i know! would have made sooo much more sense, plus we would have been warm!!!
    "I hear Fanch has a Pimp Cup and loves Kiss. I think that's all that really matters."
  • Options
    i got shiti got shit Posts: 9
    i was in the second row.

from the back.:)

the crowd was great there, and we had an unblocked view of the stage all night.

it was a great venue, i'd go back any time.......
  • Options
    Hands boundHands bound Posts: 534
    thatgirl wrote:

I shivered until 3 am I was so cold.

Too damn cold for me...let's pray Memorial Day weekend is nice and hot.
    Underneath this smile lies everything
    all my hopes, anger, pride and shame...
  • Options
    smartass1235smartass1235 Posts: 136
    thatgirl wrote:

the reason they didnt is because the freaking circus is there, barnum and whatever. which is also part of the traffic problems last night.
    4-30-03
    7-06-03
    7-11-03
    9-28-04
    9-29-04
    5-13-06
    6-03-06
    6-27-08
  • Options
    JAL442JAL442 Posts: 41
    I agree with basically what everybody else has been saying about the crowd last night in Hartford. I was in row R in section 200 and most people around us just werent as into it as I would expect at PJ show. Given this is only my second PJ show (trust me ill be going to many more in the future) but my buddy who has been a fan forever both agreed during the encore breaks that the crowd was not nearly loud enough. Ed did have the crowd sing the beginning of Betterman which was a plus. I'm going to both Boston shows which I'm sure will have better crowds than Hartford did. The first PJ show I want to was Boston 2 in 2004 and the crowd at that show was awesome. Hopefully the same will be true this time around.
    2004: Boston II

2006: Hartford, Boston I, Boston II

2008: Hartford, Mansfield I, Mansfield II
  • Options
    I shivered until 3 am I was so cold.

Too damn cold for me...let's pray Memorial Day weekend is nice and hot.
    i know! i will be soooo bummed if the weather is shitty, but ya know even if it rains i hope its at least warm and not windy. damn new england weather! i was so happy to get home today and find sunshine!
  • Options
    the reason they didnt is because the freaking circus is there, barnum and whatever. which is also part of the traffic problems last night.
    ahhhh, i didnt realize that. yea i saw the parking lots while making our long trek over the highway, a giant cluster fuck. im not looking forward to the parking situation in 2 weeks
  • Options
    HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 4,532
    My section was half dead and half going nuts....I was going nuts...haha....i thought the place was fuckin LOUD for the songs that were not on the new album...Animal was fuckin nuts!!!!! Dissident was a huge sing along...Black was LOUD!! Go got everyone going crazy...RITFW got EVERY SINGLE PERSON JUMPING!!!!!!
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    thatgirl wrote:
    ahhhh, i didnt realize that. yea i saw the parking lots while making our long trek over the highway, a giant cluster fuck. im not looking forward to the parking situation in 2 weeks

hey its thatgirl!

all i all, i dont want it to sound like i thought the show sucked. i thought the band was on fire and sounded great. truthfully, i dont give a shit what other people around thought of the show. i was boucing around like an idiot all night and baiscally, that is all that matter to me.

and i still havent seen the sun in a week and a half.
  • Options
    hey its thatgirl!

all i all, i dont want it to sound like i thought the show sucked. i thought the band was on fire and sounded great. truthfully, i dont give a shit what other people around thought of the show. i was boucing around like an idiot all night and baiscally, that is all that matter to me.

and i still havent seen the sun in a week and a half.
    hahahaha, yes, yes, its me!

i dont want to come across like i thought it sucked too, bc it didnt and i had a great time. i think overall everyone pretty much feels the same way about the shows so at least i dont sound like a total bitch!
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    i guess i didn't notice the overall crowd; i was in section 800 row ee, ten club seats, and ten clubbers all around, and we had our own fun and were into it. i like to jump, the guys next to me were jumping and clapping, 2 guys probably in their late 20's or 30's in front of me were cracking me up cause the one had to yell comments into his friends' ear about and during every song, including gestures at various band members and such - they were like a couple of girlfriends, but kind of cute about it. as long as you have fellow ten club members around its probably going to be fun. once the lights go down we're all into the same thing.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:
    i guess i didn't notice the overall crowd; i was in section 800 row ee, ten club seats, and ten clubbers all around, and we had our own fun and were into it. i like to jump, the guys next to me were jumping and clapping, 2 guys probably in their late 20's or 30's in front of me were cracking me up cause the one had to yell comments into his friends' ear about and during every song, including gestures at various band members and such - they were like a couple of girlfriends, but kind of cute about it. as long as you have fellow ten club members around its probably going to be fun. once the lights go down we're all into the same thing.
    hmmm, this kinda sounds like the guys next to me but they were totally into every song...i was in 800 dd
  • Options
    JenInTheBxJenInTheBx Posts: 293
    The Hartford crowd did suck in comparison to Albany- but better overall than a TM crowd. I was row 15 on Stones side, and people just didn't seem very into the show where I was. I remember looking to the other side of the venue, and the crowd on Mike's side seemed much better. We were talking about it, and we think a lot of it was that it was just so cold. I had a lot of trouble getting into the show because I was freezing. The parking lot situation wasnt too bad, Tanya and I parked at the venue and paid the $20 and we bolted out of there and got out of the lot with no wait at all. The sound in the venue was great though- Albany sounded kinda muffled (I had trouble hearing Mike) but Hartford was much better.
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:

My brother and I were probably one set of guys you're talking about. (I had a Boston hat on.) It was his 14th show and my 13th, and we like to get down, jump around, clap and have a good time. Some people in that section we're pretty lame (like the hefty chick who tried to pull a George Foreman on me cause she thought we stole her seats. One of the funniest moments ever) but overall it was a good time. Looking forward to Boston!!
    Hail, hail the lucky ones, i refer to those in love.

Still Looking for the above

15 shows and counting...
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    agreed! we were sitting in section 700, row GG and the people around us were cool and into the show, but overall, i thought the crowd was lackluster at best. just did not seem amped up enough, not enough energy, etc...don't really know why either. the show was definitely solid, so seemed to me the crowd would've gotten more into it. eh well. i had a great time. :D looking forward to doing that again in jersey, 06/03......hopefully the crowd will be as on fire as the band. :cool:

man, i am fecking exhausted today tho....good to be home. great times! seeya in a couple weeks for another show!

btw - i, for obvious reasons....was so thrilled when ed began playing i'm open....although i wish he would've gone thru the whole spoken word bit...would've given me chills to hear it completely, live. excellent to hear i got id once more....love it always, and live is just priceless.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    More CoffeeMore Coffee Posts: 591
    JenInTheBx wrote:
    I remember looking to the other side of the venue, and the crowd on Mike's side seemed much better. The sound in the venue was great though- Albany sounded kinda muffled (I had trouble hearing Mike) but Hartford was much better.

Yes, you are right. Our side was better. The sound was excellent. The band was excellent. It was very cold.
    support The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
    http://giving.chop.edu/site/PageServer?pagename=give_GiveTheGift
  • Options
    SpotntheskySpotnthesky Posts: 57
    JaneNY wrote:

I think I met you in the elevator at the Hilton... my boyfriend was the guy that couldn't figure out the parking garagae, LOL!! :)

I saw you jumping up and down and having a great time at the show... I was doing the same thing 2 rows behind you! :D Overall, I think our section was rocking out, seemed to me like is was all 10 clubbers around. But the energy of the crowd overall was not like I had seen at other shows, that's for sure. But, I don't let that hinder my experience!! :)