*** U2 / Pearl Jam Hawaii Fanviews Here December 9, 2006 ***

Comments

• Just got home from an amazing time in Hawaii.
    Having caught the first show this show was the icing on the cake.

Got a chance to meet some great fans from New Mexico while waiting for the gates to open and got to hear the sound check. Hawaii '78 again!!!

Like I'm sure all of us in our PJ shirts they left me wanting more but they put on a hell of show for us and the U2 fans.

As far as U2 goes and theatrics aside this was a fun concert. At times I questioned the stability of the stadium as the stands were shaking like crazy. Say what you will about U2 but from I was standing it sure looked like Ed and the PJ crew were having a great time. Ed had Olivia on his shoulders and was dancing away.

The end of the show was super emotional for me. "All I want is You" is such a beautiful song. After almost ten years together I married the love of my life in Maui on December 5th. This was a trip of a lifetime.

Mahalo Pearl Jam!
  • Just got back from Hawaii this morning. What an amazing weekend. I don't even know where to start.

Standing in line Saturday was like a visit to the UN. 1Vedhead (aka Lori) and I were in "Holding Pen #3" with people from Germany, England, Slovenia (26 hour flight to Hawaii, in Hawaii for 24 hours, 26 hours home! Yikes!), Spain, Italy... and that was just near us. Fortunately, we were lucky enough to be right next to 5-6 other people who were really there for Pearl Jam. A great couple from Anaheim, the guy with the 10c number in the 30,000's who shared some fun stories, the tall guy with the... eh, other guy. Sorry I don't know your names, but you made the long wait (got there at 7am, gates opened at 4pm) so much easier.

As for the show itself, I agree with most other PJ fans here - the set was far too short for me... but what they did was incendiary!!

Lori and I were on the field in the inner section (near BonoWall for U2), not too far from the stage. As Eddie and the boys ripped into Courdory right off the top, you could easily spot the other PJ peeps going nuts. Many of the U2 fans weren't sure what to think, but it didn't take long for the band to win them over. The boys were clearly having a blast on stage. At one point, Ed lowered his head into Jeff's chest and kind of head-butted him. And they really won over the hometown crowd with Hawaii '78... I could hear the whole stadium singing. After they literally ROCKED the house (the entire stadium came alive) with Baba O'Riley to close, the guy in the U2 t-shirt next to me turned and said "HOLLY F**K THAT WAS SO AMAZING, I JUST FORGOT WHO I CAME HERE TO SEE!" During the break before U2, people were just buzzing. I do believe they won themselves some brand new fans!

The U2 show was great, I have always loved their stuff and enjoyed their shows, but seeing both bands back-to-back really did emphasize their differences. PJ's shows have a raw, organic energy that I simply cannot resist. You never know what is going to happen next. It could be anything! By comparison, U2 is a well oiled machine with a polished show that can, at times, border on performance art. It's not bad, I am definitely NOT a U2 hater... I love their stuff, it just doesn't grab a hold of me the way PJ does. But it was an excellent U2 set.

During their last encore when Bono said "who can we find back there..." the crowd around us started chanting, Eddie, Eddie, Eddie. Clearly high on the night, Ed and Mike joined them on stage for a slammin version of "Rockin' in the Free World" and really brought some great energy out on stage. Ed bounced around and did a little dance with Bono. It was so much fun to see them all just jammin' and having a blast. At the end, Bono said, I don't know how to end this... and Ed said "how about this - "We love The Edge, We love The Edge" so they all chanted that (The Edge looked bemused) for a while before wrapping RITFW up.

The concert was amazing, but what made it even better was Hawaii, all the great PJ fans, the great U2 fans we met, drinks at Duke's and even better, SURFING WITH EDDIE VEDDER AND MIKE McCREADY!

On Thursday, Lori was very patiently teaching me how to surf on Waikiki, when we spotted Ed riding a wave. After some subtle maneuvering, we found ourselves sitting on our boards, waiting for a wave with him. He was very cool and actually struck up a brief conversation with us that went a little something like this: 1Vedhead, "Don't worry we'll get you up on a wave," me "Dude, I have saltwater in EVERY crevice of my head," to which Ed responded laughing "Yeah, just wait until dinner. At about 6 o'clock it will all come out right into your spaghetti, " we laughed and said "sounds delightful." Yep.... stuff to write home about.

It was followed by a little small talk, before he and Lori paddled out to catch a wave coming through. Unbelievable. While catching a wave really wasn't in my repertoire... I did have the pleasure of wiping out on one, only to look over and see Mike McCready taking a dive right next to me. Awesome. I just couldn't believe it. As if the morning hadn't been friggin' amazing already. Ed was teaching Mike to surf and at one point Mike yelled "man, you're such a show off, just riding wave after wave." Then Ed sent his board in, and just stood in the water, helping Mike get his surf on. I still can't really believe it. I was in a bit of a daze the entire time.

Other than that it was just fun in the sun, driving up the coast to check out beautiful Hawaii, sitting with Mai Tai's in hand at Duke's with Chris (who also has some kick ass stories), Monica (so does she!) and so many other great Pearl Jam fans. All you guys are the best!! We will always be able to say "WE WERE THERE!!!"

Please forgive me for rambling, the typos, and the over usage of certain adjectives and adverbs - I've had about 6 hours sleep in 3-days.

Of course, it was worth it, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. -- Sam

By the way, Random House will be releasing this in paperback soon.
    "Holly f**k, that was so amazing, I just forgot who I came here to see!!" - Courtesy of the guy in the U2 t-shirt standing next to me in Aloha Stadium, Post PJ
  • KaddikatKaddikat Posts: 1,194
    I have to say.... This show was amazing in the fact that ive NEVER seen so many people go apeshit over 2 amazing bands. Good times had by all.

:D:D:D:D:D

Tim - sorry i missed you guys but I know you guys had a Blast! (well shit i know i did...) :p

To the folks that i met today? last nite? in the presidents lounge at Honolulu airport (continental) I just wanna scream HELLO!! I swear I met some of the most random folks that have all said the same thing.....

THE SHOW WAS AMAZING.

I agree - there were a lot of U2 fans that were like :eek: Pearl jam? they are still around before the show and were like Pearl Jam rocks after the short ass set.. Big wave !!! :D:D:D

YAY!
    **Get outa my way, just step aside, or pay the price ~ AC/DC**

You make me feel uncalm and I think I like it - 311

JEFF ROX MY SOX!

"Jeff is just a badass all the way across the board" ~aNiMaL~

"Chill out Kaddikat"
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    LukinTimer wrote:
    Just got back from Hawaii this morning. What an amazing weekend. I don't even know where to start.

Standing in line Saturday was like a visit to the UN. 1Vedhead (aka Lori) and I were in "Holding Pen #3" with people from Germany, England, Slovenia (26 hour flight to Hawaii, in Hawaii for 24 hours, 26 hours home! Yikes!), Spain, Italy... and that was just near us. Fortunately, we were lucky enough to be right next to 5-6 other people who were really there for Pearl JamJ. A great couple from Anaheim, the guy with the 10c number in the 30,000'S's who shared some fun stories, the tall guy with the... eh, other guy. Sorry I don't know your names, but you made the long wait (got there at 7am, gates opened at 4pm) so much easier.

As for as the show itself, I agree with most other PJ fans here - the set was far too short for me... but what they did was incendiary!!

Lori and I were on the field in the inner section (near BonoWall for U2), not too far from the stage. As Eddie and the boys ripped into Courdory right off the top, you could easily spot the other PJ peeps going nuts. Many of the U2 fans weren't sure what to think, but it didn't take long for the band to win them over. The boys were clearly having a blast on stage. At one point, Ed lowered his head into Jeff's chest and kind of head-butted him. And they really won over the hometown crowd with Hawaii '78... I could hear the whole stadium singing. After they literally ROCKED the house (the entire stadium came alive) with Baba O'Riley to close, the guy in the U2 t-shirt next to me turned and said "HOLLY F**K THAT WAS SO AMAZING, I JUST FORGOT WHO I CAME HERE TO SEE!" During the break before U2, people were just buzzing. I do believe they won themselves some brand new fans!

The U2 show was great, I have always loved their stuff and enjoyed their shows, but seeing both bands back-to-back really did emphasize their differences. PJ's shows have a raw, organic energy that I simply cannot resist. You never know what is going to happen next. It could be anything! By comparison, U2 is a well oiled machine with a polished show that can, at times, border on performance art. It's not bad, I am definitely NOT a U2 hater... I love their stuff, it just doesn't grab a hold of me the way PJ does. But it was an excellent U2 set.

During their last encore when Bono said "who can we find back there..." the crowd started chanting, Eddie, Eddie, Eddie. Clearly high on the night, Ed and Mike joined them on stage for a slammin version of "Rockin' in the Free World" and really brought some great energy out on stage. Ed bounced around and did a little dance with Bono. It was so much fun to see them all just jammin' and having a blast.

The concert was amazing, but what made it even better was Hawaii, all the great PJ fans, the great U2 fans we met, drinks at Duke's and even better, SURFING WITH EDDIE VEDDER AND MIKE McCREADY!

On Thursday, Lori was very patiently teaching me how to surf on Waikiki, when we spotted Ed riding a wave. After some subtle maneuvering, we found ourselved sitting on our boards, waiting for a wave with him. He was very cool and actually struck up a brief conversation with us that went a little something like this: 1Vedhead, "Don't worry we'll get you up on a wave," me "Dude, I have saltwater in EVERY crevice of my head," to which Ed reponded laughing "Yeah, just wait until dinner. At about 6 o'clock it will all come out right into your spaghetti, " we laughed and said "sounds delightful." Yep.... stuff to write home about.

It was followed by a little small talk, before he and Lori paddled out to catch a wave coming through. Unbelievable. While catching a wave really wasn't in my repertoire... I did have the pleasure of wiping out on one, only to look over and see Mike McCready taking adive right next to me. Awesome. I just couldn't believe it. As if the morning hadn't been friggin' amazing already. Ed was teaching Mike to surf and at one point Mike yelled "man, you're such a show off, just riding wave after wave." Then Ed sent his board in, and just stood in the water, helping Mike get his surf on. I still can't really believe it. I was in a bit of a daze the entire time.

Other than that it was just fun in the sun, driving up the coast to check out beautiful Hawaii, sitting with Mai Tai's in hand at Duke's with Chris, Monica and so many other great Pearl Jam fans. All you guys are the best!! We will always be able to say "WE WERE THERE!!!"

Please forgive me for rambling, the typos, and the over usage of certain adjectives and adverbs - I've had about 6 hours sleep in 3-days.

Of course, it was worth it, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I LOVED your memoir! It's so detailed I'm going to go slit my wrists for "NOT BEING THERE!!!" (Kidding) seriously, jealous does not even begin to describe my emotions---but happy for you too. Thanks for sharing
  • LukinTimer wrote:
    Just got back from Hawaii this morning. What an amazing weekend. I don't even know where to start... blah, blah, blah...SURFING WITH EDDIE VEDDER AND MIKE McCREADY! ...blah, blah, blah..."Yeah, just wait until dinner. At about 6 o'clock it will all come out right into your spaghetti, "...blah, blah, blah...By the way, Random House will be releasing this in paperback soon.

Ok, so I severly edited the quote. I'm not happy with the Russian Novella-like length, because Sam never once mentioned why she didn't pay for my way out there to hang with Ed and Mike (and the Tsunami midgets). :p:D:D:D
    "Underneath this smile lies everything - all my hopes, anger, pride and shame."
  • Ok, so I severly edited the quote. I'm not happy with the Russian Novella-like length, because Sam never once mentioned why she didn't pay for my way out there to hang with Ed and Mike (and the Tsunami midgets). :p:D:D:D

Let's see.... why didn't I pay your way out there, hmm -- because while I was stuck working at home on 12/2 to pay MY way to the 12/9 show, you were torturing me by texting and sending fun photos of all you guys having a blast before and after the solo show.

So, read it and weep buddy...

(And you know I would have been at 12/2 if I hadn't already arranged everything for 12/9!!)
    "Holly f**k, that was so amazing, I just forgot who I came here to see!!" - Courtesy of the guy in the U2 t-shirt standing next to me in Aloha Stadium, Post PJ
  • FoGFoG Posts: 34
    god i wish i could get my hands on that version of All I Want Is You, it sounds like it was magical...probably my favorite U2 song...
    Of course I value your opinion. It's what makes you wrong and me right.
  • einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    LukinTimer wrote:

On Thursday, Lori was very patiently teaching me how to surf on Waikiki, when we spotted Ed riding a wave. After some subtle maneuvering, we found ourselves sitting on our boards, waiting for a wave with him. He was very cool and actually struck up a brief conversation with us that went a little something like this: 1Vedhead, "Don't worry we'll get you up on a wave," me "Dude, I have saltwater in EVERY crevice of my head," to which Ed responded laughing "Yeah, just wait until dinner. At about 6 o'clock it will all come out right into your spaghetti, " we laughed and said "sounds delightful." Yep.... stuff to write home about.

It was followed by a little small talk, before he and Lori paddled out to catch a wave coming through. Unbelievable. While catching a wave really wasn't in my repertoire... I did have the pleasure of wiping out on one, only to look over and see Mike McCready taking a dive right next to me. Awesome. I just couldn't believe it. As if the morning hadn't been friggin' amazing already. Ed was teaching Mike to surf and at one point Mike yelled "man, you're such a show off, just riding wave after wave." Then Ed sent his board in, and just stood in the water, helping Mike get his surf on. I still can't really believe it. I was in a bit of a daze the entire time.

WWWoWWWW!!! What a fantastic story! Soooo cooool!!! Now that is one to tell all next generations... I am just loving it, imagining how it looks, Eddie teaching Mike to surf, incredible! Best memory I've heard so far, thanks for sharing!
  • Zoso wrote:
    I hate U2.... I expected a longer set by PJ. I would be annoyed if I went all the way and got 45 mins of PJ over seems like 5 hours of U2 tagging everything with that dick from Green Day making an appearance? c'mon please.
    Everyone who went knew it would be short....PJ was the warm up...but it ROCKED...

Mike makes "the Edge" look like a high school garage band member!!!
    Up the West Coast in 2006 and Hawaii++Santa Barbara, San Fran x 3, Portland, Gorge x2
    Chicago and Down the Coast in 2003
    Seattle 2005
    SF 2000, 2001, 2003--- oh or you can come to terms and realize you're the only one who cannot forgive yourself
  • breath_gal wrote:
    Got a chance to meet some great fans from New Mexico while waiting for the gates to open and got to hear the sound check. Hawaii '78 again!!!

Hey breath_gal!!! It was really great hanging out with you and Scott. Wish we could have hung out on Sunday, but Sarah and I were wiped. Perhaps sometime in the near future? Aloha!

Adam
    Baby humpback, baby humpback!
    Down the sewer, down the sewer!
  • The wife and I just got back. Here's my thoughts.

Firstly, I also had heard the full setlist rumor and was counting on it. They started an hour early. That was evidence that the rumor was fact, but it wasn't to be. I timed the PJ show at about 60 minutes myself, but I could have been wrong. They sounded GREAT. Fantastic. Seeing PJ in front of 41,000 people was an incredible sight and I hope I captured it with my camera. But the show was SO short. Sarah and I were bummin big time. And the full hour between PJ and U2 didn't help either.

Second, our seats were right on an aisle, 14 rows from the floor, right beside Mike. Sounds good, yeah? No. Security was non-existant. When PJ started playing, about 1000 people instantly filled the aisle and started actually taking over people's seats. It was even worse for U2's set. I'd say the steps were backed up 25 rows from the bottom. I didn't get to really see/hear everything due to people trying to take over my seat, trying to throw beer, elbows, etc. If only we'd been a few seats inboard, I don't think this would have been a problem.

Then there's the fans. In 12 days in Hawaii, I didn't meet a single Pearl Jam fan that I wouldn't invite into my house to take over my sofa for an extended period of time. MAN! Every PJ fan Sarah and I had the pleasure of spending time with were just great people. I could type pages of stories. I really enjoyed every minute. I look forward to seeing every one of you in the future.

And then there were the U2 fans.

I'm sure in 41,000 people, there were quite a few awesome, nice, decent U2 fans. Unfortunately, I didn't meet a single one. I'll leave it at that. I didn't get along with the inspi(red) crowd.

More thoughts... PJ sounded great. The levels were perfect, everything was clear, it was fucking phenominal. Rocko & the Devils sounded like ass. White noise and bass. U2's soundboard was clearly tweaked by the same person that did Rocko. They sounded good.... sometimes. Sometimes you could seriously not pick out a single note from the Edge's guitar. Lots of noise. It was disappointing.

All in all, I'm SO glad the wife and I went to see both PJ shows. If we'd just seen the U2 show, I for one would be a little unhappy.
    Baby humpback, baby humpback!
    Down the sewer, down the sewer!
  • bonowallbonowall Posts: 116
    And then there were the U2 fans.

I'm sure in 41,000 people, there were quite a few awesome, nice, decent U2 fans. Unfortunately, I didn't meet a single one. I'll leave it at that. I didn't get along with the inspi(red) crowd.

More thoughts... PJ sounded great. The levels were perfect, everything was clear, it was fucking phenominal. Rocko & the Devils sounded like ass. White noise and bass. U2's soundboard was clearly tweaked by the same person that did Rocko. They sounded good.... sometimes. Sometimes you could seriously not pick out a single note from the Edge's guitar. Lots of noise. It was disappointing.

If we'd just seen the U2 show, I for one would be a little unhappy.

Hey all - I will begin my ranting....NOW!

Firstly ASC, right on...well said. I have LOTS to say about Hawaii, PJ, U2, the week overall, and some thanks to cap it off. Let's stick with the topic here...the December 9th show. The HOLY GRAIL of concerts (for me, at least). My dream show, PJ/U2 on the same stage. Well, not so much...

Let's take it from the top...

Thursday night, December 7th....Duke's.

Lori, Sam, Mon, and I sitting and drinking Mai Tais still reeling over having met EDDIE VEDDER (and MIKE for Lori and Sam). I recall sitting there in shock - still holding the pick he gave me in my hand. Wow. I was sporting the army green PJ shirt, everyone else, non-partisan clothing. Why do I say that? Well, to our surprise, it seemed that THIS same night was the night that Zootopia fans had their pre-show party here at Duke's.

U2 shirts WERE EVERYWHERE. Red Gap shirts flooding the bar...

We took it all in and were fine with it. Things seemed OK - in fact, we met up with a table we now affectionately call SWITZERLAND. It was a mixed bag of U2 and PJ fans. on the other side of them was "Mommie". YUP...you heard me..."mommie". UN BEFUCKINGLIEVABLE! it was this troll of a woman who stood on a chair and "rallied" up her kids to speak during their party. As she was gathering those around, I was in the process of talking and she simply said "could you shut up now...I am speaking".

With that comment, things only got worse (for me). Once Der Kommessor was finished, others at the table were commenting about my shirt. "Just remember who is opening for who?!"

I felt like it was a barrage of bullshit. I ended my night there with a bitter taste of U2-pidity and hoped that the next two days wouldn't bring more of it. After meeting Ed though, it put everything else in perspective.
    HAWAII BABY!!!!!!

MySpace:
    www.myspace.com/greendisease06

Web Site:
    www.wallsstreetjournal.net

Proud Volunteer of:
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
    Friday night, December 8th - Duke's

Yup, we all met back at Duke's. Mon and I had decided that we would camp out. Why not? We heard that over 500 people were already there and they were going to be inside the circle because of the camping out. I had to be there too!

Since we were without a car and the venue is a $40 taxiride, we though it made sense to find other interested to split the ride and enhance the fun in doing something crazy. We ended up seeing our Switzerland friends again - love them and, in fact, one of them (Brian) was convinced to join us for the camping out. While we tried to gather others, the clock was ticking. We heard form someone that come 12AM they were locking the doors...if you're in, you're in until the morning crowd lines up behind you.

Time was short. We jumped in a cab and headed out. Provisions? Mon had a shirt, I packed a pair of shorts. That's it.

We got there and it was disorganized to say the least. You filed into these pens and plopped a spot. Security sent us to the first pen to stay there while others were going into the second pen. I didn't know what the difference was until we got settled in. We ended up in the "closer" pen. We're only talking about 50-75 people difference here....REMEMBER THAT!

Everyone else had blankets, floats, mattresses, pillows, food, drink - you name it, these people had it. Us? NOTHING. not even space on the pavement near others. These folks were UBER territorial. We ended up on a steep slant of grass and rock...no sleep. Then to a part of the curb...no sleep. Then paced around to stay warm. The temp dropped BIGTIME - it was about 60 or so with wind. Security was awesome, lent me his chair to sit and relax - even offered to let me sleep in his car for a bit.

Dawn came.

Security enforced one big rule - the 2 hour rule. If you left, you had 2 hours to check in or you were bumped to the back. It worked for the most part but there was a LOT of bumping up into our pen. A lot of U2 fans helping other fans out. We just weren't in a fortunate position to have "those friends' cheat us in. We were put in this pen and then looked at like lunchmeat by the "dedicated" and "numbered" fans.

Yup - numbered. apparrently "mommie" organized the line in a way where everyone was either numbered on the back of their hand or given a bracelet to prevent cutters.

When we got there, there was non marker nor bracelets so we didn't know what the hell was going on. Once daylight came and people grew restless, they were all checking hands. I felt like it was WW2 and I was pegged for NOT having a number....melodramatic I know, but believe me, we got NASTY looks.

We didn't sleep at all - we walked over to KMart at dawn to buy sleep provisions but it was useless because the other assholes who got rest were now up and loud. I was growing to REALLY NOT like these fans. I KNOW they weren't PJ fans because we don't treat our own that way....we BETTER not!

We ended up meeting cool people towards the middle of the day and as we explained our non-numbered situation, they said they'd vouch for us if "mommie" went all "dearest" on us. i still couldn't believe the bullshit that was going on in these pens though. you had people yelling at others to "show me your number" and saying stuff like "you don't belong here...get out" and "you're a cheater and cutter". I mean REALLY stupid shit!!!!!!

Oh, and actually, the total overnight line was MAYBE 400 in total. the circle holds 1500....you do the math!

There was too much drama going on for me to even remember at this point - I know there was a lot. My energy, excitement, and faith was dwindling BIGTIME at this point. I was embarrassed by the other U2 fans - and let me tell you....THIS WAS THE MAJORITY OF FANS. Unlike my previous rants on DMB fans (minority) these were the lot of em. the minority consisted of the group we hung out with...great guys and gals. The rest blew monkey ass in their HAT(RED) shirts.

I had no sleep, no food, no drink, and now no patience.

Until the sound check....PEARL JAM'S soundcheck...
    HAWAII BABY!!!!!!

MySpace:

Web Site:

Proud Volunteer of:
  • einatshaul wrote:
    WWWoWWWW!!! What a fantastic story! Soooo cooool!!! Now that is one to tell all next generations... I am just loving it, imagining how it looks, Eddie teaching Mike to surf, incredible! Best memory I've heard so far, thanks for sharing!

I know. We STILL can't believe it. Did that happen?

It really was amazing how many people had great experiences running into the guys in the band... and they were always so gracious.

Unbelievable.
    SATURDAY PM, DECEMBER 9th - THE SHOW

Pearl Jam woke me up and got me charged. The gang that we were with had PJ in their blood too...I was happy to see that. This one guy Samir and I really clicked about music - he loved both bands, has seen U2 more than PJ but knows how different they are and how big this show could be!!!!

Time to line up - we are moving. Der Kommesar was patrolling the line with he little minions which aggrevated the hell out of me. She never dared say a word to me (good for her) but she harrassed a few folks. People in Pen #2 were accusing us of cheating and saying that we just got there, etc.

Our security friend politely told them to shut the fuck up and stay in line. Don't worry about us. Oh yeah!

As we move around the stadium to the floor, we pass a merch booth. I had a choice. Stay in this line I've waited on for the past 16 hours or get out and see about a PJ poster. Screw it. I was the ONLY person who left the line and I scored the most beautiful poster I have EVR seen! It only cost me about 15 people on line anyways!

Now I was feeling alive again. Bad cough kicking in at the same time. Not feeling well but doing my thing!

We get into the circle and secure ourselves in the company of other great fans and assholes as well (such is any show).

Switzerland gang bought us pizzas and beer in the circle (my lifesavers) and Lori and Sam got me water when I needed it most....THANK YOU!!!

Show starts...

Rocko and the Morons????????????
    Are you fucking kidding me?! We had to sit through a giant jerk off fest. This guy did cove songs and remade the lyrics to Dirty Laundry?!?!?!?! TO DIRTY ROADIE......wasted stage time....totally wasted.

Pearl Jam hits the stage and the venue was about 60% full. They went freaking crazy. I had a few special moments there up front (with Mike) and it was a great set. the hits - but they tore the hell out of them!!!!!

many times during the set, I had u2 fans looking at me vs. the show - I was giving 100% to this...it's going to be the last time I see PJ for a while. Quite emotional for me but worth the money and time.

Bono never came out to join PJ...who cares. Ed passed some wine from the bottle on Bono's catwalk...he looked good out there.....they need to get one. Ed was in his own little world!!!!!!

Set is over, I am spent. BUT WAIT - next comes U2. Should be full of surprises, right?! Spontanious energy abound?! Two mega band, last show, Hawaii....insane, right!?

BUNCH OF BULLSHIT.

It was the SAME.....EXACT.....U2 show that I saw in NJ and OAKLAND. When i say the same.....I MEAN THE SAME. Pulling a little girl up to scream NO WAR during SBS, using the same qoutes on their Chicago DVD for the intro to Where the Streets...I mean it was fucking embarrassing me to have these guys come out and essentially "pop the jazz hands" all night after seeing PJ rip the stiff tendons from our bodies. It was comical at points - Bono wearing the Coexist preachy blindfold over his eyes, fumbling to a flare.....puleese!

It would be fine if this was the 1st time I had seen it. Folks, you just need to buy the DVD to see the hawaii u2 show....no joke.

then there was the impromptu - Bono pulls a "fan" on the stage who whispers that he would like to join U2 in playing a song. Guess what song it was? U2 has over 450 songs in their catalog....450. this guy asked if he could play Who'se Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses. A song they've played on this tour....and the last....and the one before that. I think it was totally staged - just liek the rest of the show.

There was a surprise of Billy Joe of Green Day joining them for Saints....but then they swiftly kicked his ass off stage at the end of the song. What was the fucking point?! Just to show that they are in touch with younger music?!?!?!?! I was confused.

And then I knew that PJ's particiaption was going to be as planned, staged, and disappointing as the rest of the show.

Don't get me wrong, seeing them together was awesome. But we saw it in Toronto, Melbourne, and now here. Same song, same twisted lyrics, nothing was spontaneous. Nothing. Other than Eddie rocking the shit out of the stage.

My favorite part of the song was Eddie basically pulling Bono around like a ragdoll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The show was over at that moment for me.

yeah, all i want is you....whatever. Beautiful song - weak ending after that powerful tune. U2 almost had to wash away the PJ feeling and bring it back to them....at least that's how I felt.

Next time (and someone has the sign) U2 OPENS FOR PJ........period!

Peace folks - hope you weren't bored by my story of THE BIG SHOW.
    HAWAII BABY!!!!!!

MySpace:

Web Site:

Proud Volunteer of:
    And here are the pictures of that experience....

GREAT SHOTS I think...(if i do say so myself...lol)

http://picasaweb.google.com/cwall2006/U2ShowPt1

http://picasaweb.google.com/cwall2006/U2Pt2
    HAWAII BABY!!!!!!

MySpace:

Web Site:

Proud Volunteer of:
  • Ok, so I have never posted on these forums before but I have read them often. Never posted because I never had anything to say...until now. Someone gave me Ten in 1993 and since my first listen I have been hooked. I have waited 13 years to see them in concert and now I have seen them twice in two weeks. I used to live in the UK and if you ever try to get tickets there they sell out in about 30 mins. I got mine the minute they went on sale here, but unbelievably you could still buy them on the door on the night (both venues)

The first concert was just superb. Everything I expected and wanted. The PJ set in the second concert was still spine shaking but compared to the first.....

I thought I was a U2 fan, have a fair few albums and listen to them regularly, but seeing them both side by side in concert. I think U2 had a hard act to follow by choosing PJ to open for them. They just didn't have the energy of PJ and I think PJ were running on half power compared to the week before. "The Edge" just looked middle of the road in comparison to Mike, there was a point in 'Rockin' the free world where' "The edge" just looked at Mr McCready doing a solo and was watching his hands, and maybe as a PJ fan, I saw envy there, and when his turn came it was just a little same same.

Don't get me wrong the U2 concert was a huge spectacle, lights, sounds, political comment etc. But was just too practiced.

The biggest screams of the night were for PJ's rendition of the Hawai'i '78 song. Rightly so I guess as an act adapting to a local crowd, a true sign of a great performer.

It was a night I will not forget.

Thats it. Until the next time I go to a PJ concert and have my skin feel like it is about to leave my body again.

oh..and never watch Bill Baileys sketch about U2 before going to their concert, it kinda spoils it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EDuK46ZqFM
  • bonowall wrote:
    It was the SAME.....EXACT.....U2 show that I saw in NJ and OAKLAND. When i say the same.....I MEAN THE SAME. Pulling a little girl up to scream NO WAR during SBS, using the same qoutes on their Chicago DVD for the intro to Where the Streets...I mean it was fucking embarrassing me to have these guys come out and essentially "pop the jazz hands" all night after seeing PJ rip the stiff tendons from our bodies. It was comical at points - Bono wearing the Coexist preachy blindfold over his eyes, fumbling to a flare.....puleese!

It would be fine if this was the 1st time I had seen it. Folks, you just need to buy the DVD to see the hawaii u2 show....no joke.

And then I knew that PJ's particiaption was going to be as planned, staged, and disappointing as the rest of the show.

Don't get me wrong, seeing them together was awesome. But we saw it in Toronto, Melbourne, and now here. Same song, same twisted lyrics, nothing was spontaneous. Nothing. Other than Eddie rocking the shit out of the stage.

My favorite part of the song was Eddie basically pulling Bono around like a ragdoll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The show was over at that moment for me.

Next time (and someone has the sign) U2 OPENS FOR PJ........period!

Hey Chris - I agree, it was the same U2 show I saw in Anaheim and LA. And that crawling with the Coexist blindfold, flare thing was a bit much... that's what I found very performance arty. I really did think they would shake things up more. Very staged.

The minute Eddie and Mike came back out you could just feel the energy on stage surge, there was electricity and a fun, loose vibe! Maybe it's just because I am much more of a PJ fan... but that's how it felt to me.

Ditto on "NEXT TIME U2 OPENS FOR PJ!!!!"

By the way, you're very welcome for the water, we were all dying. That no caps on the bottles thing really sucks. Leads to LOTS of dehydrated fans.

Going to check out your pics, I KNOW you got some good ones.
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    DrPots wrote:
    oh..and never watch Bill Baileys sketch about U2 before going to their concert, it kinda spoils it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EDuK46ZqFM
    ROFLMAO..I'd seen it before but I'm still crying watching it! fucking love Bill Bailey!
    At least it seems quite a few U2 fans were impressed by PJ... you'd have to be deaf not to be mind you...and there's enough deaf fans here (I don't know what the PC term is) to show that it's not even an excuse ;)
  • LukinTimer wrote:

Ditto on "NEXT TIME U2 OPENS FOR PJ!!!!"

hey you ,cant believe its over.had so much fun.glad we all hung together in front to show pj support.you and lori are so lucky.i told justin about your surfing day.he wished he was there to say hi to mike.he really likes mike alot.next time, pj plays solo and all night long on the beach.lol
  • FnCircusFnCircus Posts: 439
    bonowall wrote:
    There was too much drama going on for me to even remember at this point - I know there was a lot. My energy, excitement, and faith was dwindling BIGTIME at this point. I was embarrassed by the other U2 fans - and let me tell you....THIS WAS THE MAJORITY OF FANS. Unlike my previous rants on DMB fans (minority) these were the lot of em.
    hahahahahaha

you sure they weren't DMB fans dressed up as U2 fans??????
  • LukinTimer wrote:
    Just got back from Hawaii this morning. What an amazing weekend. I don't even know where to start.

Standing in line Saturday was like a visit to the UN. 1Vedhead (aka Lori) and I were in "Holding Pen #3" with people from Germany, England, Slovenia (26 hour flight to Hawaii, in Hawaii for 24 hours, 26 hours home! Yikes!), Spain, Italy... and that was just near us. Fortunately, we were lucky enough to be right next to 5-6 other people who were really there for Pearl Jam. A great couple from Anaheim, the guy with the 10c number in the 30,000's who shared some fun stories, the tall guy with the... eh, other guy. Sorry I don't know your names, but you made the long wait (got there at 7am, gates opened at 4pm) so much easier.

As for the show itself, I agree with most other PJ fans here - the set was far too short for me... but what they did was incendiary!!

During their last encore when Bono said "who can we find back there..." the crowd around us started chanting, Eddie, Eddie, Eddie. Clearly high on the night, Ed and Mike joined them on stage for a slammin version of "Rockin' in the Free World" and really brought some great energy out on stage. Ed bounced around and did a little dance with Bono. It was so much fun to see them all just jammin' and having a blast. At the end, Bono said, I don't know how to end this... and Ed said "how about this - "We love The Edge, We love The Edge" so they all chanted that (The Edge looked bemused) for a while before wrapping RITFW up.

Other than that it was just fun in the sun, driving up the coast to check out beautiful Hawaii, sitting with Mai Tai's in hand at Duke's with Chris (who also has some kick ass stories), Monica (so does she!) and so many other great Pearl Jam fans. All you guys are the best!! We will always be able to say "WE WERE THERE!!!"

Of course, it was worth it, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. -- Sam

Thank you for sharing these, what a great moment...not able to say anything else as a big thank you....
    Beavis : Is this Pearl Jam?
    Butt-head: This guy makes faces like Eddie Vedder.
    Beavis: No, Eddie Vedder makes faces like this guy.
    Butt-head: I heard these guys, like, came first and Pearl Jam ripped them off.
    Beavis: No, Pearl Jam came first.
    Butt-head: Well, they both suck.
  • J_NPJ_NP Posts: 9
    So I think this may be my 1st post here , I may say I'm like a new fan of PJ , I do enjoy their music a lot , they are an amazing live band , and songs like Black , Alive , I Am Mine , and covers of Soldier of Love are absolutely gems , and guys I just wanted to clear some things :

1- This is not a anti-american post , but One Thing I must say , the great majority of u2 fans around the world are nice nice people , just go anywhere , and the Real Fans will always treat u nicely , I can surely bet on this

2- About these critics of u2 putting the same show .... Just a question , What exactely did you expect ??? U2 had not played in Honolulu before in the Vertigo Tour ??? What's the point because someone had the chance to watch a concert before , and it looked similar ? All Honolulu persons had this chance as well ? So just for the sake of this person who's sayin these things here , U2 should change the whole thing , and Honolulu would lose the chance of experience what the Vertigo show was about ???

3-About "The Edge" , I have to remind you 1st thing , u2 is a band of 1 guitarrist , Pearl Jam 2 , so it's easy for 1 to become the main leader guitarrist and do all the solos new and olds ..... And With u2 , not only Edge has to play for 2 , but it's distinguishes him from most of guitarrists , He doesn't need to be showing around everywhere .... It's like intelligence , If u are u are , u don't need to be saying or proving anywhere ..... But anyway just a small response for ya people who would appreciate seeing the guy workin :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fQRyeFwXP5g Put in 0:38
    And this was in 78

4- And about U2 opening for PJ , Tell U what , if PJ opens for a band liek Franz Ferdinand ....... Then it could happen ;)
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,285
    J_NP wrote:
    2- About these critics of u2 putting the same show .... Just a question , What exactely did you expect ??? U2 had not played in Honolulu before in the Vertigo Tour ??? What's the point because someone had the chance to watch a concert before , and it looked similar ? All Honolulu persons had this chance as well ? So just for the sake of this person who's sayin these things here , U2 should change the whole thing , and Honolulu would lose the chance of experience what the Vertigo show was about ???
    Good point there...

Hawaii (and New Zealand and Australia and Japan) had not had their Vertigo fix because of the tour being postponed. For the masses, that was their first show. And you think they're going to change their program just because you've seen it 3 times already when some haven't even seen it once?

If you make it your business to see the same band that puts on a production the scale and the sheer magnitude of the likes of U2's show, are you really surprised that you saw the same thing? Really? It's a production. It's a production with a message. That's their gig and that was their show.

I imagine that those who were seeing it for the first time (and even those that were seeing it for the fourth) enjoyed themselves enough for those who didn't.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • FnCircusFnCircus Posts: 439
    J_NP wrote:
    About these critics of u2 putting the same show .... Just a question , What exactely did you expect ??? U2 had not played in Honolulu before in the Vertigo Tour ??? What's the point because someone had the chance to watch a concert before , and it looked similar ? All Honolulu persons had this chance as well ? So just for the sake of this person who's sayin these things here , U2 should change the whole thing , and Honolulu would lose the chance of experience what the Vertigo show was about ???

well, with this logic, then I guess once you've seen a u2 show, you've seen them all.....

yes, I guess PJ fans are somewhat spoiled, because we DON'T get the same show all the time, we DON'T get the same songs, in the same order, in back to back shows. Some went to 3 U2 shows, in different parts of the US, and STILL received the same show.

me, I don't have a desire to see U2. not since Joshua Tree anyway........
    dharma69 wrote:
    Good point there...

Hawaii (and New Zealand and Australia and Japan) had not had their Vertigo fix because of the tour being postponed. For the masses, that was their first show. And you think they're going to change their program just because you've seen it 3 times already when some haven't even seen it once?

If you make it your business to see the same band that puts on a production the scale and the sheer magnitude of the likes of U2's show, are you really surprised that you saw the same thing? Really? It's a production. It's a production with a message. That's their gig and that was their show.

I imagine that those who were seeing it for the first time (and even those that were seeing it for the fourth) enjoyed themselves enough for those who didn't.

Didn't say I didn't enjoy it - and I am NOT going to get on a U2 vs. Pearl Jam thing here. I posted MY review. That's all. I had higher aspirations of this show per U2's website...."the final party...lots of surprises". Don't advertise it as such when it's not.

I love both bands - I am just beginning to see the big split for me though...U2 is a visual spectacle (which is amazing) but it's a one shot pony per tour. That's what i find truly disappointing. there are SOOOO many amazing U2 songs that never see the light of day - they set has become their burdon. The "message" has overpowered the MUSIC. (again, in my opinion). I guess the "fan" in me wanted to see these two together more on stage together.

Valid point about U2 being in HI for the first time and all but even Rocko polled the audience...."how many hawaiians here" Not so loud. "how many flew here" huge screams. I don't think i am alone in feeling "slightly" disappointed in the final product. WELL WORTH IT THOUGH...
    HAWAII BABY!!!!!!

MySpace:

Web Site:

Proud Volunteer of:
  • All I have to say is that this was one hell of a show! Hawaii 78 made me cry...
    I love PJ & U2 for totally different reasons and found this show to be unreal!! It was worth waiting all day to get in the inner circle =)
    I loved the fact that so many of us flew to the Islands just for this show!!!
    7/92 Shoreline (SF); 10/93 San Jose; 10/94 Shoreline Bridge School Benefit; 6/94 Sacramento; 6/94 SF Polo Fields; 11/95 San Jose; 10/96 Bridge; 11/97 Oakland (Stones); 7/98 Sac; 10/99 Bridge; 10/00 Sac; 10/01 Bridge School; 6/03 Shoreline; 10/03 Bridge x 2; 10/04 Bridge; 7/18/06 SF
    &
    HONOLULU!
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,285
    bonowall wrote:
    Didn't say I didn't enjoy it - and I am NOT going to get on a U2 vs. Pearl Jam thing here. I posted MY review. That's all. I had higher aspirations of this show per U2's website...."the final party...lots of surprises". Don't advertise it as such when it's not.

I love both bands - I am just beginning to see the big split for me though...U2 is a visual spectacle (which is amazing) but it's a one shot pony per tour. That's what i find truly disappointing. there are SOOOO many amazing U2 songs that never see the light of day - they set has become their burdon. The "message" has overpowered the MUSIC. (again, in my opinion). I guess the "fan" in me wanted to see these two together more on stage together.

Valid point about U2 being in HI for the first time and all but even Rocko polled the audience...."how many hawaiians here" Not so loud. "how many flew here" huge screams. I don't think i am alone in feeling "slightly" disappointed in the final product. WELL WORTH IT THOUGH...
    Too bad the tour is over and you've missed the past 6 months or so of haranging on the U2.com site....

This discussion has been had many times....some of us believe that Bono doesn't even remember the lyrics to "A Sort Of Homecoming" since it's been so long since it's made a live appearance.

We were kind of hoping Vedder would teach him...since he seems to know them just fine ;)!
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • 1Vedhead1Vedhead Posts: 147
    bonowall wrote:

I totally agree with this...
    And yes, I realize that U2 had never played Hawaii on this tour, but neither had PJ before the show on the 2nd, and it was still a very different show from the 7 others I'd seen this year!!!
    LA 7/9/06 & 7/10/06
    The Gorge 7/22/06 & 7/23/06
    Antwerp 8/30/06
    Bridge 2 10/22/06
    Honolulu 12/2/06 & 12/9/06
    Munich 6/12/07
    Katowice 6/13/07, London 6/18/07, Lollapalooza 8/07, LA (EV) 4/12/08 & 4/13/08, Ouside Lands 09
    dharma69 wrote:
    Too bad the tour is over and you've missed the past 6 months or so of haranging on the U2.com site....

This discussion has been had many times....some of us believe that Bono doesn't even remember the lyrics to "A Sort Of Homecoming" since it's been so long since it's made a live appearance.

We were kind of hoping Vedder would teach him...since he seems to know them just fine ;)!

CHEERS TO THAT. In fact, you hit on the ONLY U2 song i was dying to hear...really aching for it. Wild horses....good song but yawn...

I think you are right about them not remembering the words. Honestly, i suspect that's what happens when you don't play 'em. I used to be on the U2 boards but it became weird....lol.

BAJAMAMA - or whatever der Kommaser calls herself scares me!

Cheers to the experience - jeers to the end...
    HAWAII BABY!!!!!!

MySpace:

Web Site:

Proud Volunteer of: