*** Mexico City 12/9 Fanviews Here

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
edited December 2005 in Given To Fly (live)
If you were at the show, please share your fanviews here.

Set list: Animal, Last Exit, Go, Do The Evolution, Given To Fly, Cropduster, Even Flow, I Am Mine, Alone, I Got Shit, Lukin, Not For You/(instrumental tag Modern Girl by Sleater Kinney), Daughter/(It's Okay by Dead Moon sung in Spanish by Ed), Save You, Once, Better Man, Rearviewmirror

1st encore: Small Town, Last Kiss, Crazy Mary, Black, Jeremy
2nd encore: Kick Out The Jams (w/Mark Arm and Steve Turner of Mudhoney), Alive, Yellow Ledbetter
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Wow!

<<kicking myself for not going!>>
  • Simply the best night of my life. Thank you Pearl Jam!
  • opening with animal, eh?

i like that idea. i might have to buy this one
  • Amazing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have all the Fu***n bootlegs from SA , and this show was insane.
    The best show of the tour folks.

I was there !!!!!!! incredible.

Tomorrow i will be there again !!!!!!!!!!!

new surprises ?????????? maybe

......I LOVE YOU PJ........
  • Sea wrote:
    If you were at the show, please share your fanviews here.

Set list: Animal, Last Exit, Go, Do The Evolution, Given To Fly, Cropduster, Even Flow, I Am Mine, Alone, I Got Shit, Lukin, Not For You/(instrumental tag Modern Girl by Sleater Kinney), Daughter/(It's Okay by Dead Moon sung in Spanish by Ed), Save You, Once, Better Man, Rearviewmirror

1st encore: Small Town, Last Kiss, Crazy Mary, Black, Jeremy
    2nd encore: Kick Out The Jams (w/Mark Arm and Steve Turner of Mudhoney), Alive, Yellow Ledbetter
    WOW, Alone, fuckin cool!
  • chittychitty Posts: 574
    I know alot of you may not like my judgement, since there is no rarities, but I think that is the BEST 1st encore setlist PJ could play. Especially, if you haven't seen them before like many fans there in Mexico.
  • Last Nigth Pj Played Again In Mexico City To A Roaring Multitude That Sing Along From Start To Finsh, The Last Show They Played In Here 2 Plus Years Ago Was Awesome!, But Last Night!!, Wow, I Think The Best Is Yet To Come!!!!!
  • chinobaezachinobaeza Santiago Posts: 2,489
    Alone!!...one of my favourites songs, an excellent bootleg
  • BlankiBlanki Posts: 315
    I was looking for the latest comments about the Mexico concert in the press and I found this:

"POR ALGUNA EXTRAÑA razón, Pearl Jam , icono del grunge noventero de Seattle, se ha enraizado de manera sobrada en México. No se sabe si a falta de que pudiera venir Nirvana , el público se vuelque sobre la banda que llegó a considerarse como el "segundo lugar". Y es que si bien el grupo comandado por Eddie Vedder ha tenido históricos momentos musicales, su reincidencia en los escenarios tiene ya poco de excitante, pues poco han aportado recientemente. Su fórmula se agotó desde hace quizá un lustro. Es una pena pero de pronto un concierto de este quinteto en México se halla más cercano al sentimiento anquilosado que despiertan los conciertos de Toto , Scorpions o The Eagles , dignos del nostálgico adulto contemporáneo. Pearl Jam se presenta en el Palacio de los Deportes hoy y mañana."

This is written by Patricia Peñaloza... please you mexican guys, could you tell me wtf is wrong with her???

See ya
    23 Nov 05 - Santiago, Chile
    Come back to SA!!!!
  • Blanki wrote:
    I was looking for the latest comments about the Mexico concert in the press and I found this:

Su fórmula se agotó desde hace quizá un lustro. Es una pena pero de pronto un concierto de este quinteto en México se halla más cercano al sentimiento anquilosado que despiertan los conciertos de Toto , Scorpions o The Eagles , dignos del nostálgico adulto contemporáneo.

This is written by Patricia Peñaloza... please you mexican guys, could you tell me wtf is wrong with her???

Which Journal did you find it? May be she likes Simple Plan or Good Charlotte, bands for children.

The mexican press sucks, don't like to investigate. I'm sure she thinks that pearl jam is not notice because they don't have a fight in a bar, or vedder is not someone's famous actress boyfriend.
  • GhostChileGhostChile Posts: 1,106
    Blanki wrote:

"POR ALGUNA EXTRAÑA razón, Pearl Jam , icono del grunge noventero de Seattle, se ha enraizado de manera sobrada en México. No se sabe si a falta de que pudiera venir Nirvana , el público se vuelque sobre la banda que llegó a considerarse como el "segundo lugar". Y es que si bien el grupo comandado por Eddie Vedder ha tenido históricos momentos musicales, su reincidencia en los escenarios tiene ya poco de excitante, pues poco han aportado recientemente. Su fórmula se agotó desde hace quizá un lustro. Es una pena pero de pronto un concierto de este quinteto en México se halla más cercano al sentimiento anquilosado que despiertan los conciertos de Toto , Scorpions o The Eagles , dignos del nostálgico adulto contemporáneo. Pearl Jam se presenta en el Palacio de los Deportes hoy y mañana."

See ya

Ehm... en que diario salio eso?
    Mexico City 17/7/2003
    Mexico City 18/7/2003
    Mexico City 19/7/2003
    Santiago Chile 22/11/2005
    Santiago Chile 23/11/2005
    Buenos Aires Argentina 13/11/2011
    Santiago Chile 16/11/2011
    Lima Perú 18/11/2011
    Sao Paulo Brasil 31/3/2013
    Buenos Aires Argentina 03/4/2013
    Santiago Chile 06/5/2013
    Santiago Chile 4/11/2015
    Buenos Aires Argentina 7/11/2015
    Porto Alegre Brasil 11/11/2015
    Sao Paulo Brasil 14/11/2015
    Brasilia Brasil 17/11/2015
    Belo Horizonte Brasil 20/11/2015
    Rio de Janeiro Brasil 22/11/2015
    Bogota Colombia 25/11/2015
    Mexico City 28/11/2015
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL 8/4/2016
    Miami, FL 9/4/2016
    Tampa, FL 11/4/2016
    Santiago Chile 13/3/2018
    Santiago Chile 16/3/2018
    Rome Italy 26/6/2018
    Prague Czech Republic 1/7/2018
    Krakow Poland 3/7/2018
    Berlin Germany 5/7/2018
    Barcelona Spain 10/7/2018
    Dana Point, CA 1/10/2021
    Dana Point, CA 2/10/2021 
  • chitty wrote:
    I know alot of you may not like my judgement, since there is no rarities, but I think that is the BEST 1st encore setlist PJ could play. Especially, if you haven't seen them before like many fans there in Mexico.

hmm 2 covers in it.. i think they could easily find a better 1st encore
    Nashville '00
    Houston, B'ham, Nashville, Atlanta '03
    Toledo, Grand Rapids '04
    Kitchener, London '05
    Camden x 2, D.C., Cincy, San Fran x 3 '06
    Chicago '07
    Columbia '08
    MSG x 2 '10;
    PJ 20 x 2 '11
    Atlanta '12
    Wrigley '13
    St. Louis, Memphis '14
    Lexington '15
    Wrigley '16
    Wrigley x 2 '18
    Nashville '22
  • GizmoGizmo Posts: 38
    Blanki wrote:

See ya

Can someone translate/summarize please?
    (Arnhem 29/08/2006 - Antwerp 30/08/2006 - Antwerp 31/08/2006 - Dusseldorf 2007 - Werchter 2007 - Berlin 2009)
    - If you're not confused, you're not really paying attention to what's going on -
    - Still so many answers I don't know, realise that to question is how we grow -
  • como estubo its ok en español.....???
    how did its ok en español sounded ...????

can anybody comment ???
  • One of the most beautiful versions of Black ever!!

The sing along in Not for you was amazing also..i think the first set was one of the most rocking kick ass sets ever!!!
    I feel very close to you all now; so close I could almost... loan you money. Really. it goes that deep.
    -Tom Waits-

Everybody should believe in something...I believe i'll have another drink - anonymous -

Ah that's just drunk talk, sweet beautiful drunk talk.
    -Barney Gumble-
  • tht stupid newspaper says something like , pearl jam is a second class act that bores with its adult rock and has links to bands such as toto and eagles...
    im sure the author of that article is a creed fan
    no son personas, son mujeres
  • barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    Blanki wrote:

See ya

With all due respect to this girl... but she's a stupid moron. This girl is just a groupie -and since PJ is not much in the groupie thing- that for some strange reason became journalist, every time she writes she wants to look like a smartass intelectual rock critic, but her articles are boring like shit, you can't believe in anything she writes, she's also a reporter on a TV show for women where she does pointless works about beauty, or ghosts, or the most foolish things you can imagine... so her rock opinion is not worth at all, at least for me, and I also move in the ambient of journalism, and all that and no serious critic has respect for her.

That being said last concert was great, I was just talking with a girl next to me guessing what song would be the opener, none even imagined Animal... wow, wild start, then Last Exit and the crowd was getting even more insane, I don't know what happened but last night's show was so emotional, you could just feel it in the air. I was Mike's side, and man everyone there was getting crazy with him, people almost killing for a pick, but in a good way. Eddie said they were glad to be back and how it was even better than what they remembered. Then he also said how they had a good time in SA and how the inspiration to do that tour came from their previous visit in Mexico and now they came to thank us. In Not For You the crowd really do the song theirs and you could see in the face of every one of the guys how they were being deeply touched for this reaction. Same thing happened in Daughter with the Esta Bien(It's Ok) tag, they really won the crowd with that one. Then came RVM with one of the most awesome jams I ever heard, at the end Eddie said they were saving this one for Mexico.
    The encores were total energy. I think at the end of the first encore someone in the crowd threw Mexico's football jerseys with the second name of every member of the band in the back, Boom included. They put them on immediatly except for Jeff and Eddie, but then the crowd went "put it on, put it on" and they did the rest of the show with them on. Eddie asked to sing Las Mañanitas to a member of the staff... and before YL or Crazy Mary, while Eddie was on the floor, a fat guy with an El Santo mask came and pick Eddie up, Ed thanked El Santo and then commented how in the US they needed El Santo's help to fight Bush.
    Overall an amazingly electric and emotional crowd, we really touched their hearts, they played I don't know, but they played long, more than 2 hours and a half. Mudhoney was great too, had the chance to shake hands with Steve.
    Let's see what happens tonight, I really would like to hear Long Road, Faithfull, Indifference and maybe, why not?, some Crown of Thorns,,,, someone tell 'em!!!
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
    pancho wrote:
    como estubo its ok en español.....???
    how did its ok en español sounded ...????

can anybody comment ???

Fucking awesome!!!

Someone commented the tag had been changed a lot and it was unrecognizable... well, that's not true is the same It's Ok just sang in spanish, and sounded great!!
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

-J. Strummer

• BeerBaron wrote:
    Yeah, enough with all the covers already. Although if I had to hear one cover it would be either Crazy Mary or Baba

nah i disagree-- there are some great covers-- Trouble, Crown of Thorns, TKAA (Not Sure where it went), Miracles (accoustic), The Seeker, Patriot, Won't Back Down

it is just some like CM, BABA, Last Kiss, Free World get played way too much and they lose their appeal

just need a variety which im hoping we will see when they hit the states.. i hope these typical sets are just for SA and Mexico
    Nashville '00
    Houston, B'ham, Nashville, Atlanta '03
    Toledo, Grand Rapids '04
    Kitchener, London '05
    Camden x 2, D.C., Cincy, San Fran x 3 '06
    Chicago '07
    Columbia '08
    MSG x 2 '10;
    PJ 20 x 2 '11
    Atlanta '12
    Wrigley '13
    St. Louis, Memphis '14
    Lexington '15
    Wrigley '16
    Wrigley x 2 '18
    Nashville '22
  • A great moment of the show was when someone after the first encore threw to the band jerseys of the national soccer team with the members last names and number ten on their backs, and the whole band wearing the shirts until the end of the show

Again the part in wich the audience turns on and off their lighters rythmically...ohh just beautiful (and again everyone in the band was delighted to see it again)...the words of Eddie saying that we were the reason why they decided to tour Latin America this year...How they have missed us!!!

Shit...so many things left to say and still one more show tonight.
    I feel very close to you all now; so close I could almost... loan you money. Really. it goes that deep.
    -Tom Waits-

Everybody should believe in something...I believe i'll have another drink - anonymous -

Ah that's just drunk talk, sweet beautiful drunk talk.
    -Barney Gumble-
  • barcoach wrote:
    Fucking awesome!!!

Someone commented the tag had been changed a lot and it was unrecognizable... well, that's not true is the same It's Ok just sang in spanish, and sounded great!!

well .. i´m asking ...because i wrote those lyrics....

my cousin put them on ed hands 3 nigths ago in monoterrey....

estoy feliz !! it was not a translation ...i wrote what i felt...and im still shaking !!

gracias !!
    pancho wrote:
    well .. i´m asking ...because i wrote those lyrics....

my cousin put them on ed hands 3 nigths ago in monoterrey....

estoy feliz !! it was not a translation ...i wrote what i felt...and im still shaking !!

gracias !!

yeah, just saw that in the It's Ok Spanish thered, read what I put there, you should really feel proud, you're guilty of shaking the souls of thousands of people (me included).

Felicidades colega (yo me dedico a escribir... nunca he tenido un exito como el tuyo)
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

-J. Strummer

• barcoach wrote:
    yeah, just saw that in the It's Ok Spanish thered, read what I put there, you should really feel proud, you're guilty of shaking the souls of thousands of people (me included).

Felicidades colega (yo me dedico a escribir... nunca he tenido un exito como el tuyo)

pues era un sueño..lo escribí hace casi 3 años...para darselo a ed en el concert de mexico ...pero mi primo lo guardó....y mas vale tarde...!!

my soul is STILL shaking !
  • I was simply blown away because of the amazing communication the band has with its Mexican fans, it was simply overwhemling,, they know what they want from us: pure energy, and they bloody got it! And they know what we want dammit! Eddie speaking Spanish, and even using some of the Mexican pop culture to let us know they care about us.

For me, the gem out of this was Black, it's the best live version of it ever! You should have seen Eddie's expression of nostalgia/thankfulness, and his voice singing "We belong together", I really thought it was going to break, so touchy,, hopefully we can get this on video of something, but you can get the bootleg, though,, it was beautiful, and Eddie said it actually: "Hermoso!"

Eddie punctualized that the three shows in Mexico City on the summer of 2003 actually inspired this South America Tour. And during the show he said: "This is better than I remembered!"

Can't wait for tonight's concert, I'm sure it's gonna be amazing, we set up the mood last night, they're gonna rock Mexico City again!!!

Ang congrats for the 'It's OK' traslation, great job!
  • Blanki wrote:

Hey guys, I just wrote to the newspaper this note was published in. This is what I wrote, it's in Spanish though:

Más que una opinión es una queja con una nota, la que escribió Patricia Peñaloza en viernes 9 de diciembre.

Patricia:

Antes que nada esta nota no es de enojo, más bien de pena por el poco conocimiento y la falta de solidez y objetividad en tu corto pero penoso comentario acerca de Pearl Jam.

Creo que sin duda alguna antes de emitir juicios tan poco válidos deberías de conocer más del impacto de su última gira en nuestro país y el impacto de la banda en la historia de la música, de la cuál dudo tengas conocimientos.

A más de diez años de su formación Pearl Jam continúa convocando a las nuevas generaciones, no sólo a los fans del grunge de los 90's, esa nostalgia que mencionas me parece ridícula. Si a tu parecer han perdido el sentimiento de rebeldía de hace una década, pues el hueco ha sido llenado con madurez y entrega a su público.

Seguramente tampoco conoces que la banda no es como las otras que hacen música sólo por lucro. Su compromiso con la sociedad y el medio ambiente es total, y lo demuestran con sus muchas acciones de beneficio.

El concierto de ayer impactó a miles de personas, y estuvo lleno de energía. Su música sigue teniendo la misma profundidad que han puesto desde su disco debut y la banda sigue creciendo.

Y respecto a tu comentario del "segundo lugar". Es sentido común de un periodista saber que las comparaciones son peligrosas, pero en el ámbito de la música demuestra muy poco conocimiento comparar a Nirvana y a Pearl Jam, pues ambas son incomparables.

Espero que mi comentario te de mayor madurez en tus próximas notas. La libertad de expresión es un derecho irreputable, es cierto, pero también es cierto que si tu expresión va dirigida a miles de lectores, se convierte en una responsabilidad, y es una irresponsabilidad de tu parte no conocer de lo que hablas.

Mi intención con esta nota no es faltar al respeto a nadie, simplemente saber que con tu nota tú faltas al respeto a miles.

- Luis Flores

I just wrote it and send it through the newspaper site, so you can do the same and maybe we can start a chain of comments against this.

I may send a formal letter as well, let her know she knows no shit!

See ya
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blanki

See ya

I DO NOT KNOW WHO PATRICIA PEÑALOZA IS OR WHO SHE´S WORKING FOR, BUT, MOST FEMALES REPORTERS IN THIS COUNTRY WILL ONLY SAY SOMETHING "GOOD" ABOUT POP PERFORMERS SUCH AS TALIA, LUIS MIGUEL OR ELFANTE, PERFORMERS THAT I AM QUITE SURE WILL WET MISS PEÑALOZA PANTIES ANY TIME THEY PERFORM AT THE AUDITORIO NACIONAL, DON´T GET ME WRONG I DON´T HAVE ANY KIND OF FEUD AGAINTS SUCH POP ACTS, BUT, I DO HAVE A CERTAIN KIND OF HATE AGAINTS "SHOWS JOURNALIST", THAT IN THIS COUNTRY WILL ONLY WRITE ABOUT THE LATEST NIURKA SCANDAL OR THE RECENT STAR FALLEN FROM GRACE!,C´MON!, I´M SURE MISS PEÑALOZA HAD NEVER ATTENT A CONCERT SUCH AS THIS, SO SHE CAN NOT GIVE US AN OBJECTIVE COMENTARIE ABOUT PEARL JAM´S SHOWS, LAST TIME PJ PLAYEN IN MEXICO CITY MOST "SHOWS JOURNALITS" WRITE AMAZIN REVIEWS ´BOTU PJ IN EL PALACIO DE LOS DEPORTES, SO PLEASE MY CHILEAN FRIEND DO NOT TAKE THIS KIND OF NOTES AS THE REAL THING, I´M QUITE SURE YOU BEEN ALSO A LATIN AMERICAN WILL BE FAMILIAR WHIT THIS KIND OF JOURNALISM, I CAN TELL YOU THAT THA LAST 3 SHOWS BY PJ 2 YEARS AGO WHERE AMAZING , I WAS THERE AND I JUST ATTENDES THIS TOUR PREVIOUS SHOWS IN MONTERREY AND LAST NIGHT IN MEXICO CITY, IAND , I AM SURE PJ WILL NOT DISSAPOINT US TONIGHT!!!

LATER!!
  • Nice setlist
    12/07/2005 Monterrey, MX
  • To all the people outside Mexico that are reading this thread, please do not rush into any judgements about Mexican audience and journalism because of Patricia Peñaloza's note....... as in US and probably Europe we also have bad or biased journalists, I´m personally embarrased for this kind of comments. I was trying to look for the review in Monterrey's papers ( which is by far more objective and elocuent) and post it here but I think my maid already threw it away yikes!!!!!!

I thank the guy who wrote to the newspaper, and totally agree with him. If you are ignorant of a subject or theme please do not talk about it........do your homework and no cookies................ Animal great opener by the way....... and I also think that all 3 nights in Mexico have a very special emotion and connection between audience and band........
  • First of all let me catch my breath....

Now lets start, Mudhoney fucking amazing, cant remember setlist but i remember they played Touch me Im sick and i cant really remember which others.

Now Pearl Jam came out when the Spanish theme for "Last Kiss" was being played and Eddie sang the last part of the song, then they opened with Animal a wild start as someone said, I was almost at 30 ft form them and i could see tem enjoying the show, all of them, i cant really remember the exact emotions but taht was amazing.

In Crazy Mary Eddie lost his voice for a moment and yeah a memorable moment was when they wore the Mexico shirts and Eddie and Jeff didnt wear them at the beginning but then they conceded yeah.

I think Eddie was a little bit drunk or really drunk i dont know, and i dont care i was almost the same, we were jumpong and yelling all the songs, Black was amazing, when he sang "We belong together" everything was special.

Then they turned the lights on and started playing "ALIVE" fucking amazing, almost at the end of the show Eddie started waving towards the crowd and everyone was like "NO DONT, DONT LEAVE" and he pointed at his wrist like saying "Its time dudes no more were tired", then YLB started and it was amazing, really amazing.

I dont know if it was the best show of all the Tour and i dont care im happy for Brazil, Chile, Argentina Canada and everyone who saw them but i left a part of my soul in there, im hoping to go tonite too, but ill have to ask for money to my parents and friends, maybe sell my internal organs or something but ill be there i promise.

its been 1238 days since you left... Now were back to day 0 Thank You Pearl Jam
  • CiNJaMCiNJaM Posts: 53
    I had never been in a PJ concert before...I know the had a great performance in Mexico city 2 years ago, but this last one was just something else!

U should have seen Eddie´s face when singing BLaCK! and the look in his eyes when the audience turned on the lighters and started singing: "...we belong together..." just! out of this world!

All I can say is that I´ll never get over it, haha... THaNK U EDDIE, THANK U PEARL JAM!!!!

"...We belong together... together..."