**Calgary Fanviews Here**

Comments

• hey hey my my,

the show was un.fecking.believable!!!!

the passion from band and fans was intense. fantastic set-list. beautiful performance.

does anyone know a site where i can find a picture of the concert poster, and maybe even some photos of the show itself?????
    ~I am looking for the Vancouver '98 tour poster. Please contact me.~
  • The second page of this thread has a pic of the poster. :-)
  • i just got back from calgary about an hour ago, what a long drive but so worth it! i finally found myself in the front row and it was absolutely fantastic! (i was on stone's side for both calgary and vancouver) i agree with everyone else that the crowd was just crazy, the energy coming from everyone was out of control!! i enjoyed this show much more than vancouver (which was a great show too), great set list at both shows but the band seemed much more into the show in calgary. it's unfortunate that they had so many problems with feedback and it seemed like the band was getting pretty pissed at one point but then things seemed to get worked out during the first encore break.

ed came and stood right in front of me a few times and it was amazing to have him only 2 feet away, there is just so much energy and intensity coming out of him. stone was having fun dancing around on stage and the rest of the band was incredible. hopefully in london and hamilton i will get a chance to be on mike and jeff's side to get a well rounded experience:) (i was in front of mike for both shows i went to in 03 and he has such a presence on stage and is soooooo much fun to watch)

the set list was great, they played some great material. i was really happy to hear alone and LOVED thumbing my way (not my fav version but still great, TO 03 will never be beat for me) and sleight of hand. my fav moment of the show was betterman/i wanna be your boyfriend, not normally a favourite of mine at shows but for personal reasons this time it was the highlight of the show for me. ritfw was out of control and i have never felt so much energy during that song, the band seemed totally blown away too.

all in all it was an amazing experience and was so worth the 12 hour drive there and 12 hours back!

thanks guys for another amazing show and i can't wait for london and hamilton!!!
    Toronto 96 - Barrie 98 - Toronto 00 - Toronto 03 - Montreal 03 - Vancouver 05 - Calgary 05 - London 05 - Hamilton 05 - Gorge I 06 - Gorge II 06 - Seattle I & II 09 - Vancouver 09 - Portland 09 - LA III & IV 09 - San Diego 09 - Kansas City 10 - St Louis 10
  • Hey all. Just spend the last 11 hours in a car driving home from Calgary back to Billings. I'm pretty out of it, but I have to post a quick review...

Okay-- this was my 4th PJ show.

1 - Missoula '98 - had seats as far away as you could get, and it was kind of like listening to the radio w/ a bunch of people. Not great.

2 - Vegas '03 - Amazing show! The crowd had awesome energy, Ed was really wine drunk, and the set list was very cool.

3 - Missoula '05 - Best concert I've ever been to. So awesome I almost can't describe it (see my Missoula review for more details).

4 - Calgary '05 - First let me start by saying that for the Missoula show I had to behave myself, and only drank a little bit before the show but for Calgary I was on vacation, and dammit, I got some drinkin' done! That said, my finer details of the evening are all a blur, but I can guarantee I was one of the happiest people in the whole damn building! So anyways... my review! I'll start it w/ a quick note to the Ten Club -- THANK YOU, HOLY SH*T, THANK YOU! When I went to pick up tickets Sunday and opened the envelope to find 10th row, dead center tickets, I could have shat myself - then when I got to the show and found out just how fantastic 10th row seats are, I was in heaven! Given seats like that, you can't NOT enjoy the show, so my review is a bit biased -- but the show was amazing. As far as the set list goes, let's just say major highlights were Alone, Not for You, Hard to Imagine, and RitFW and YL combo to close it out. This wasn't my favorite set list I've had the pleasure to witness, because for me the Missoula show last week will be insanely hard to top. I would say, though, that this set was PERFECT for a casual fan, as every song was great -- o.k., all but one. Imagine this... you're rocked your heart out for the whole show, you get to the second encore, an amazing version of Better Man leads it off, then you're wondering to yourself what amazing trick they'll pull of out their hats - and it's LAST KISS! Ugh. Sorry, I had to throw in one little gripe, that's it, I promise. Alright, one last thing to mention about this show -- the crowd was insane. really insane. In my Missoula review, I mentioned I thought the crowd was weak, but never would I imagine to ever be a part of a crowd as rabid as the Calgary bunch. I don't know how many people were there, but there were times in the night where I had to turn around and just watch the crowd. When I go to a PJ show, no matter where I sit, I'm singing along and cheering my lungs out after every song, and sometimes during, and I've always thought it would be cool to have a whole building of people that excited to be watching Pearl Jam. Calgary was that crowd. I went w/ 2 non-PJ fans, who ended up sitting behind the stage, and both of them said this was the best concert they'd ever been to. That's saying something!

Anyways, I drove 10 hours to get to Calgary, and this show was worth every second of it! After the Vegas '03 show I made a vow to see PJ twice the next time they toured if there was any way I could pull it off. My dream came true - and in the last week I've seen the 2 best concerts of my entire life. And one from the 10th row! Very cool.

Edit: Looking through the pictures from the show that just finished downloading, I'm (sort of) in one of the pictures! the second one of the fans w/ their arms raised, I'm dead center, all that's visible is the top of my hat, but my buddy's face is clearly visible next to me. Cool, eh?
  • The energy during RITFW was amazing, just listening and reliving through the bootleg now. I can't get over how fast they process and upload the sets. Slick download program. As someone else said, perfect example of a band using the internet properly.
  • zazzaz Posts: 1
    I have been a mild fan of PJ since ten came out - I was in grade 11 at the time. Since No Code came out, I have really loved them more and more with each album. I am really disappointed in myself that the show in Calgary was my first PJ show. It will not be my last.

My brother-in-law is a HUGE HUGE PJ fan. I think he has been to around 50 shows. he got me hooked.

So the show was fantastic. Like everyone else said, the whole place was jumpin' during RITFW. You couldnt hear Eddie above the crowd when he was singing Alive. Betterman was sooooo good. It has been the best concert I've been to in a really long time and I am glad to have been a part of it.
  • umm duuhh huh? that's about as coherant is i was after the show. it still feels kinda like a dream. PJ shows are the sh*t. i saw them when they toured in support of the vs. album, they played max bell arena to about 8000 people and they had serious sound problems (it was probibably Donald Rumsfeld fault) that maybe why they haven't been back in so long.
    anyway its taken a few days and my brain is almost back to normal. I was so high on the energy of the crowd i didn't need any other substance. the best natural high is a great band awsome show and incredible vibe. i felt they could have played forever. can't wait to see them back in calgary again, hopefully in support of their new album.
    unfortunatly being a student i'm on free Uof C dialup and can't download the show I'd be happy to pay some one the 10 bucks plus the cost of the cd so i could relive the show over and over. big thanks to all involved in putting on the best show ever.
    ps rode the train after the show w/ the guy ed gave the bottle to he was totally stoked. he let me have a good look at the bottle. other than that he held it like it was a precious gem
    turn off your mind relax and float down stream. -john lennon
  • ferniegirl wrote:
    i just got back from calgary about an hour ago, what a long drive but so worth it! i finally found myself in the front row and it was absolutely fantastic! (i was on stone's side for both calgary and vancouver) i agree with everyone else that the crowd was just crazy, the energy coming from everyone was out of control!! i enjoyed this show much more than vancouver (which was a great show too), great set list at both shows but the band seemed much more into the show in calgary. it's unfortunate that they had so many problems with feedback and it seemed like the band was getting pretty pissed at one point but then things seemed to get worked out during the first encore break.

ed came and stood right in front of me a few times and it was amazing to have him only 2 feet away, there is just so much energy and intensity coming out of him. stone was having fun dancing around on stage and the rest of the band was incredible. hopefully in london and hamilton i will get a chance to be on mike and jeff's side to get a well rounded experience:) (i was in front of mike for both shows i went to in 03 and he has such a presence on stage and is soooooo much fun to watch)

the set list was great, they played some great material. i was really happy to hear alone and LOVED thumbing my way (not my fav version but still great, TO 03 will never be beat for me) and sleight of hand. my fav moment of the show was betterman/i wanna be your boyfriend, not normally a favourite of mine at shows but for personal reasons this time it was the highlight of the show for me. ritfw was out of control and i have never felt so much energy during that song, the band seemed totally blown away too.

all in all it was an amazing experience and was so worth the 12 hour drive there and 12 hours back!

thanks guys for another amazing show and i can't wait for london and hamilton!!!

Hey, I was second row right behind you...!! Were you the girl with the long light coloured hair.. jeans and tank top? In Edmonton you were front row also.. centre.. and I was front rown off the the McCready side. PM me.
  • Earthgirl wrote:
    Hey, I was second row right behind you...!! Were you the girl with the long light coloured hair.. jeans and tank top? In Edmonton you were front row also.. centre.. and I was front rown off the the McCready side. PM me.

i have long blonde hair and had on jeans and a purple t-shirt, ed came and sang directly in front of me a couple of times. i was not at the edmonton show so you are probably not thinking of me although we must have been close by...
    Toronto 96 - Barrie 98 - Toronto 00 - Toronto 03 - Montreal 03 - Vancouver 05 - Calgary 05 - London 05 - Hamilton 05 - Gorge I 06 - Gorge II 06 - Seattle I & II 09 - Vancouver 09 - Portland 09 - LA III & IV 09 - San Diego 09 - Kansas City 10 - St Louis 10
  • ferniegirl wrote:
    i have long blonde hair and had on jeans and a purple t-shirt, ed came and sang directly in front of me a couple of times. i was not at the edmonton show so you are probably not thinking of me although we must have been close by...

no no.. I do remember you! you are short girl like me! I had my hair in braids.. jean jacket on. cool...
  • unbelievably flippin' sweet. To all those in the crowd, mostly locals: there was an energy, there was a friendship, there was a unity. I felt like hugging everyone there. Up from Seattle, and it was worth it. Thanks for the experience.
  • LeahLeah Posts: 1
    I saw the show, and it was phenomenal.
    I can't wait to see them in Toronto and Ottawa, they always put on a great show!!
  • I was in the first row, coming all the way from Holland. Wow, I loved the show. Seen a lot of shows already in Europe aswell as in the States. This was my first Canadian show however. I will write an article in a Dutch magazine about the Vancouver and Calgary show.
    You Canadian fans rule!
    "I don't need drugs to make my life tragic..."
    Eddie Vedder
    TenClubmembership 85...
  • Just got back to Vancouver today after seing both Alberta shows. The Calgary show was incredible! I guess the seniority paid off cuz we were in row 2 (stone's side). the calgary audience just rocked all night...Super into anything PJ did, even the rarest of songs. Who are we kidding? My highlight of the night has to be catching a tambourine from Ed during RitFW! It's interesting how he seems to pick out specific people rather than ramdomly throwing stuff to the crowd. He was certainly throwing it straight to me. His hands must get beat up handling so many of those, it cut my hand as i caught it! A fantastic night of great music and great friends, new and old. Thanks PJ and 10C!!!

j
  • Hey Everyone,

New to the PJ message site but, big fan for years!! Glad I got a computer!

Anyway, Calgary's show was CRAZY. This was my first PJ concert and I tell you, HOLY CRAP, I loved every second of it! The best part was when they played Small Town and the entire Saddledome was singing and Eddie handed it over to the crowd! I downloaded the concert the next day and it gave me goosebumps. Just incredible!

Edmonton's show was also kick ass, loved the completely different play list (with the exception of about 4 or 5 of the same songs). It was a whole different show! I would have to say though, not as electrifying as in Calgary, but close!

Hope all you guys had fun at the Alberta Shows. Too bad I'm broke or I'd hop on a plane to Saskatoon!

TAKE CARE ALL
    "Hard to Imagine a Better Man"
  • Just started listening to it this morning. Probably the best version of Do the Evolution, EVER.
  • Hey - anyone out there at the calgary show hear anything about someone falling off the second level??? I was there and have been troubled by this -- during "Thumbing My Way" about 40 seconds in you could hear this big noise and everyone in the second level behind the stage was freakin...then some people came from behind the curtain and hauled something, or someone away. eddie noticed but only looked to his crewman off to the side. You can even hear the sound on the recording of the show. The show rocked but that has been in the back of mind- anyone have any info???
  • ...the night of the show... word was that it was a guy who fell (or jumped) down the 20 feet or so to the back... not sure if the guy was really hurt bad or not... but the security got him outta there pretty quick.

We heard it to but didn't see anything... only found out later about it being someone falling (or jumping?)

Not much help but that's what I know...

Cheers,

R3
    ...can't touch the bottom....
  • karid wrote:
    Hey - anyone out there at the calgary show hear anything about someone falling off the second level??? I was there and have been troubled by this -- during "Thumbing My Way" about 40 seconds in you could hear this big noise and everyone in the second level behind the stage was freakin...then some people came from behind the curtain and hauled something, or someone away. eddie noticed but only looked to his crewman off to the side. You can even hear the sound on the recording of the show. The show rocked but that has been in the back of mind- anyone have any info???

I didn't hear or see anything personally but I've read online in a review of the show about the incident and I believe the guy actually jumped down onto the steel ramp to try and get on the stage? Apparently he didn't feel too good afterwards and security took him away. Haven't heard anything else on it though. Must not be too bad though or we would've heard something in the local papers.

Listened to the show again last night, fantastic. I still can't believe that crowd!! Unreal!!
  • I felt like jumping too...right onto the stage. Unfortunately, rent-a-cop was directly in front of me (we were sect 108, row 2). So, no jumping on the floor but lots of jumping in general.

Hopefully the bozo jumper didn't hurt himself too bad. Was probably a bit drunk, a bit excited, and trying to get to the floor maybe?
  • BrainofA wrote:
    I felt like jumping too...right onto the stage. Unfortunately, rent-a-cop was directly in front of me (we were sect 108, row 2). So, no jumping on the floor but lots of jumping in general.

Hopefully the bozo jumper didn't hurt himself too bad. Was probably a bit drunk, a bit excited, and trying to get to the floor maybe?
    cool.....i was in row 1 sec. 108..........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • I was in the first row, coming all the way from Holland. Wow, I loved the show. Seen a lot of shows already in Europe aswell as in the States. This was my first Canadian show however. I will write an article in a Dutch magazine about the Vancouver and Calgary show.
    You Canadian fans rule!

who were you in the first row? I was in the second row...infront of Stone.
  • Near the end of the show, a person in the first few rows threw something up to Ed, looked like some rolled up papers or a poster or something. Ed caught it, and tried to throw the guy a bottle cap (I think, may have been a pick) but I think someone else caught it. Ed then sort of motioned for the person to hang on, he would give them something. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed this and what they were exchanging up there.
  • Earthgirl wrote:
    who were you in the first row? I was in the second row...infront of Stone.

I was in seat 28, right in front of Jeff.
    What a great show it was....
    "I don't need drugs to make my life tragic..."
    Eddie Vedder
    TenClubmembership 85...
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    told you guys the fans in Calgary would be amazing
  • I was totally blown away by the show. The last time I saw PJ was in 1993 at SunFest in Gimly MB. I waited 10 hours before they hit the stage, just so I could be front row. This time I flew my sister-in-law in from Winnipeg to babysit my daughter so my husband and I could go. I hope they come back very, very soon. One of my favorite parts of the whole night was when all the stadium lights were on during the last of the many encores.
    ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • The crowd was far and away the best I've been a part of out of the 11 PJ shows I've been lucky enough to attend.

I think if you listen to the boot, you can kind of hear the boys giving out a little bit of extra energy on every song, just from how crazy the crowd was. Oceans was a first time for me, RVM was unreal (probably the best I've seen/heard), Sleight of Hand sounded great, I could go on and on. They really kept the setlist alive by playing rocker after rocker after rocker until about 8 songs into the set.

Furthermore, I had way to much fun in Canada with some of you folks.

This show and East Troy '03 are at the top of the list for me.

peace,
    Andy
    When one does not see what one does not see, one does not even see that one is blind. -Paul Veyne
  • So I have listened to the Bootleg now that my ears stopped ringing (Who am I kidding I listened to it on the way up to Edmonton) and I have to say that there are two highlights on the Bootleg that people need to check out. The first one was "Alive" When the crowd starts chanting Yeah spontaneously near the end, it gave me goosebumps. The other one is "Betterman" To appreciate this you have to listen to the track right before it. He starts into the track with the opening verse, and pauses before "She lies...." because the crowd is going nuts... he than leans back gives a huge smile like he is proud and goes into the song. Far and away the highlight for me on that night.

Alive and Betterman...... Unbelievable, I would like to hear if anyone has heard a better version of Alive? I haven't heard too many, but this one was far and away the best.
  • kusko_andy wrote:
    The crowd was far and away the best I've been a part of out of the 11 PJ shows I've been lucky enough to attend.

I think if you listen to the boot, you can kind of hear the boys giving out a little bit of extra energy on every song, just from how crazy the crowd was. Oceans was a first time for me, RVM was unreal (probably the best I've seen/heard), Sleight of Hand sounded great, I could go on and on. They really kept the setlist alive by playing rocker after rocker after rocker until about 8 songs into the set.

Furthermore, I had way to much fun in Canada with some of you folks.

This show and East Troy '03 are at the top of the list for me.

peace,
    Andy

Andy?? Andy from Alaska ? is that you? How the hell are you my friend? I just used a lot of question marks. Pm me with your email so we can keep in touch. Hope you had a good time at the Edmonton show .... it was amazing!! I was in awe.. almost frozen to the fence a few times... couldn't move.. unreal. you know who I am..
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    This was my second show, my first being NYC July 9th 2003. I have to say that the Calgary show is now my fave. Sure, the NYC show might pop back to #1 at times, only because it was my first show and first time in NYC. But the ENERGY in Calgary was AMAZING. The look on Ed's face was like..."These Canadians know my words AND they can sing them on key and LOUD." I was the bald guy (white button up shirt with red Mookie T underneath with army green pants) in Row Two of Section 108, I had seats 9 and 10. Besides the moments where we made Ed smile, laugh, look amazed, my favorite moment was when I saw Stone switch a guitar and come back with the semi-acoustic resonator. Having played guitar since I was 9, I was STUNNED when I sat down because I was on Mike's side of the stage. So it was amazing to be that close to one of my biggest influences on the guitar. But when Stone came back with that guitar, I knew that there was only one song that would be played right then...BLACK. I tried to get my zippo to fire up, but alas...I had ran out of fuel. I stopped looking at the stage for awhile and just looked around the Saddledome, seeing it lit up with stars made of flame and hearing everybody singing...words can't express the feeling.

The give and take between a band and an audience can be an amazing thing to witness. They gave us a ton of good songs during our lives and we paid them back by jumping, dancing, swaying and singing and cheering our hearts out that night. We lifted them up and gave them energy to really rock out and take it to the next level, which in turn gave us the energy to sing even louder. I'd like to think that Pearl Jam won't forget that night in Calgary, I know I won't.
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com