Qn about shipping poster from US to Canada

SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
edited October 2011 in Lost Dogs
OK, I think this is as good a place as any but let me know if I should post elsewhere. Trying to ship a poster to a fellow 10 clubber in Canada. I'm in NYC. I know I'm not the first to do this but I haven't shipped to Canada before and some of the rates are puzzling me.

USPS: $6.60 - no option for insurance or tracking
FedEx: $18 - this seems the most reasonable
UPS: $120++ :shock: Would only do minimum of 10 pounds in weight?

Granted I'm doing this all online so maybe if I speak to a human some of this might be cleared up but I don't have much free time during the week to go to the post office etc.

Any suggestions on best way to ship? Should I insure (but does that mean recipient will need to pay taxes on value?) Ideally I'd like to be able to track the shipment without paying an arm and a leg.

Much appreciated! :D
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    I just shipped one to Canada and I used the post office. It cost me about 8 and some change. On the customs form I put "print" as the item in the tube. I have never had any problems with them getting to Canada. It took about 7-10 days...maybe a little longer depending on where it was going but they always received them. I did this three times in total.

FedEx/UPS/DHL will always cost more.

Hope this helps. :D
  • ahill721ahill721 Posts: 2,071
    You can get tracking and insurance shipping to Canada but you have to ship Priority International.
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Thank you both, very helpful! :mrgreen:
  • If you use fedex or UPS, the person will be forced to pay a brokerage fee on the other end. It wont be a whole lot - probably depends on the value you declare - but it is absolute b.s. and it drive me nuts on principle alone. But thats how they play it.

Use USPS but like someone said here, go with Priority International. Ask for tracking and the price will go upwards into the $20-somethings. May want to price out delivery confirmation even but this will mean your person on the other end will have to sign for it. But you will know for sure it got there.

You also have other, pricier options through USPS: Global Express Guaranteed and Express Mail International

Hope that helps.

FYI: USPS Link for shipping to Canada ===> http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/ce_003.htm#ep2041503
    ~~~~~~~Vinyl For Sale (shipping costs in North America included)~~~~~~~
    The Who - Phases Box Set. Ltd. Ed. All 9 studio albums w/ Moon (11 discs) $200
    ^discogs entry link^
    Peter Gabriel - Up 200 gram 'Classic Records' audiophile version. Sealed. $225
    ^discogs entry link^
    Van Halen - I 180 gram Remastered 'DCC Compact Classic' version. Ltd. Ed. (#53!). Sealed. $175
    ^discogs entry link^
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you! :mrgreen:
  • One last thing: You have to declare a value on a customs form. If its a lot, like over $60 (I am not sure the exact value at which they start levying the duty charge) your friend will have to pay a duty and a handling charge on that end. You can avoid this by claiming its a gift and-or by lowering its value on your end.
    ~~~~~~~Vinyl For Sale (shipping costs in North America included)~~~~~~~
    The Who - Phases Box Set. Ltd. Ed. All 9 studio albums w/ Moon (11 discs) $200
    ^discogs entry link^
    Peter Gabriel - Up 200 gram 'Classic Records' audiophile version. Sealed. $225
    ^discogs entry link^
    Van Halen - I 180 gram Remastered 'DCC Compact Classic' version. Ltd. Ed. (#53!). Sealed. $175
    ^discogs entry link^
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    D-Dude wrote:
    One last thing: You have to declare a value on a customs form. If its a lot, like over $60 (I am not sure the exact value at which they start levying the duty charge) your friend will have to pay a duty and a handling charge on that end. You can avoid this by claiming its a gift and-or by lowering its value on your end.

Thanks, got it. Seems like chances of it getting lost is quite low so that's probably ok.
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    Suziemay wrote:
    D-Dude wrote:
    One last thing: You have to declare a value on a customs form. If its a lot, like over $60 (I am not sure the exact value at which they start levying the duty charge) your friend will have to pay a duty and a handling charge on that end. You can avoid this by claiming its a gift and-or by lowering its value on your end.

Thanks, got it. Seems like chances of it getting lost is quite low so that's probably ok.

That's what I do. Claim it as a gift on the customs form and put print as description. (they won't let you get away with just gift)
    sheila0225 wrote:
    Suziemay wrote:
    D-Dude wrote:

That's what I do. Claim it as a gift on the customs form and put print as description. (they won't let you get away with just gift)

Thanks Sheila, good to know :mrgreen: