portugal. the man

dpmaydpmay Posts: 643
edited September 2013 in Other Music
loving their newest album, in the mountain in the cloud. i know a lot of people have mentioned it in the best of 2011 thread, but i wanted to give this record some love in it's own thread. i wasn't crazy about it at first, but have dug it more and more with each listen, to the point now i just love it. it's been my go-to record lately when i want something loud and upbeat and fun. i think it's destined to go down in my personal history as the feel-good summer record of 11.

check 'em out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J8d18ZkXE8&noredirect=1

sweet video too.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• POrtugal.the man can do no wrong
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    just got the satanic satanist. cannot stop listening to it. do they have an album that's better than this one???
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • dpmaydpmay Posts: 643
    yeah actually in the mountain in the cloud is my introduction to the band. i have been wondering what other records of theirs i should check out - sounds like all of 'em!
  • Censored Colors is my favorite. can't over look Church Mouth either. Shade on Church Mouth is unreal, so is And I on Censored Colors.
  • i love every album, but I must say that Satanic Satanist is damn near flawless. I think it's their best. Censored Colors, Waiters..., Church Mouth, & American Ghetto is how I'd rate the rest. Need to listen to the new release more to give an official rank
  • gotta respect how quick albums come out and how often they tour.

It's Complicated Being a Wizard EP is outrageous also. sooo good.

i love every album, but I must say that Satanic Satanist is damn near flawless. I think it's their best. Censored Colors, Waiters..., Church Mouth, & American Ghetto is how I'd rate the rest. Need to listen to the new release more to give an official rank
  • samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    They are just one awesome band, I've loved pretty much everything they've released! Love Satanic Satanist and Censored Colors in particular! Saw them live for the first time this past summer and they blew me away!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    ya great band! were doing free shows with Alberta Cross! :-o
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    great band. i was obsessed with satanic when it came out. it is perfection.

as mentioned, i think i have had this discussion on this board before, but they have been putting out an album a year for 6 YEARS. prolific creative outburst or what?

i saw them in seattle for censored colors in 2008
    i saw them in vancouver for satanic satanist in 2009

Great band, with an instantly identifiable sound. i have been liking the new, but havent really cracked it, plus there have been so many other great releases this year, ive had my plate full.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    the latest video for All Your Light (Times Like These) is pretty fuckin distrurbing. Cant find it on a youtube search but it's on their facebook page:
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/port ... 2070466304
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    Yeah, love these guys. You can clearly hear thei infuences in everything they do, but they somehow still manage to sound original.

Not picked up the new album yet, but I've loved evrything they've done so far, so I'm sure it'll be great!

How are they live?! I had tickets to see them in Manchester last year, but was unable to go! Gutted!
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    can't get enough of them. i can literally put every single song of theirs on shuffle and be content with whatever comes on. there's only one other band i can do that with... 8-)
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
  • MissPennyLaneMissPennyLane Redondo Beach, CA Posts: 687
    Oh my god, where have I been with this band! I saw them last night for the first time and WOW, what an incredible, incredible band. My friend thinks they are a mix between Arcade Fire and Brand New....Mmmmm....Anyway, just wanted to say this band is this shit!
  • Oh my god, where have I been with this band! I saw them last night for the first time and WOW, what an incredible, incredible band. My friend thinks they are a mix between Arcade Fire and Brand New....Mmmmm....Anyway, just wanted to say this band is this shit!
    yep!
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    They are playing a small festival with Heartless Bastards and a few others here in Dallas next month..I may have to check them out based on the comments here.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Better Dan wrote:
    They are playing a small festival with Heartless Bastards and a few others here in Dallas next month..I may have to check them out based on the comments here.
    I wouldnt pass this up. Two of my favorite bands right there...sadly I've never seen either in the flesh :(
    Better Dan wrote:

Seriously, do it. I will never, ever miss another Portugal. The Man show....just a really great and refreshing talented unique band. I knew who they were before I saw them but didn't really know any songs but was absolutely blown away and so into it....let us know if you go!
  • just a great fucking band.
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,413

I don't know anything from this band. But, that was pretty good.
  • samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    This is awesome!! P.TM are such a neat band, I'd love to catch them again!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
    bump, love this band so so so much. They are magical live. :)
  • RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    Your dirty little Church Mouth..... 8-)
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

Saw them friday night.....and Just for the record i'm never missing another portugal the man show EVER. Unreal.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,819
    Saw them friday night.....and Just for the record i'm never missing another portugal the man show EVER. Unreal.

so you are gonna follow them around the world? :shock: (or just when they come near you ;) )

ok fine you convinced me to listen to them finally :)
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly

so you are gonna follow them around the world? :shock: (or just when they come near you ;) )

Listening to them is one thing....seeing them live is another :)
  • Dr. JDr. J Posts: 75

Listening to them is one thing....seeing them live is another :)

Sweet! Just bought tickets to see them in October!
  • this band produces the best videos
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8e1sSNsf44
    this band produces the best videos
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8e1sSNsf44

Wow!
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    love the songs evil friends and atomic man! ...so far
    did you see me? i saw you.