NOT FLIPPING! BUT......White Vinyl BS trade?

Comments

• SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,781
    Been a long time since I have been bashed around here, so I am going to throw in my two cents and then let you all drag me through the coals...

Although I am pretty much out of the collecting game these days for reasons known by most.....

I see it a little bit differently..AS A COLLECTOR...when I was playing the game.....I still dont see a problem with any of what I have read, and while I see both sides of the argument, I still think I side here:

Backpack goes on sale in the middle of the night/day and I miss out on it....sucks for me....I make a couple of inquiries to friends that I think may have got an extra...NO LUCK....I then happen to be on line when the white backspacer goes on sale...I absentmindedly snatch one(more than likely 2) up for the sole purpose of trading it for the backpack....I guess in most peoples eyes, I am now the devil/flipper..But I have achieved my goal, and have filled a hole in my collection....I dont care if it is 2 days or 2 years down the road...If I have something that I WANT....and someone else is willing to trade me for something they WANT, regardless of the time frame or value, and both parties are ok with it....I guess I have no problem with that, and I do not consider it flipping...

To me, it is no different than the people who missed out on it posting a thread that says something like...HAVE LOST DOGS VINYL WILL TRADE FOR BACKPACK....I dont see many people being pissed at those people who are looking for something?? I only see the anger come out when the person who got the backpack, makes a post for the exact opposite...HAVE AN EXTRA BACKPACK...LOOKING FOR LOST DOG VINYL....This person would be dragged behind a truck around here and we all know it...

We are a hypocritical group at best....It just depends on when and where we are at the time as to how severe the beating will be.....While I have the UTMOST respect for the views of folks like dimi, pj-cubs, shep, drsluggo, frank bauer and many many others, and consider them all friends, I would not hesitate to do what I had to do to obtain something I needed for my collection, regardless of what people thought, because as I said, at the end of the day, if a person has something I want...and I have something they want....I dont see an issue...Do I feel bad for the folks who missed out? Certainly do...but I have missed out on my share of things over the years....But if it is something I want, I will figure out a way to get it....

Sorry, just how I feel about it....:-)

Best post Ive seen about the entire situation :clap:.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    copying and pasting my comments from another thread as it fits here. thanks

everyone here on both sides have valid points but from seeing in another thread where people should be reported for selling something that is their's to do with? That's a little rough isn't it? Who are we to report someone for selling something that is their's? I mean if I want to sell mine, raffle it off to charity, or serve my kids breakfast on it, its up to me and no one else. I bought it. If I want to run my car off a cliff, i can because its mine, I bought it.

This is different in my opinion than the backpack. For the white vinyl, it never said "Not for resale" etc. I believe anyway. Anyway, that's my 2 cents and I will sit back and enjoy watching the great points from both sides carry on!
    Yeah I think the reporting stuff is the hope that people who buy just to sell are booted from the TC and thus can't keep up the cycle of sucking up limited items to resell the next day. I know policing the auction sites is a controversial thing around here, but I can understand why people selling 'not for sale' items should have their ability to purchase future not for sale items revoked.

As for the white vinyl... they never had a limit either but went back and changed it as they see fit. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the TC will boot you if they feel they have reason to -- whether it was set in writing or not. For better or worse, they can make those executive decisions and there's nothing you can do about it (no matter how many 'lawyers' are called).

As I type this I guess it feels like the the concept of buying to trade for more expensive items is the same as buying to sell, which would make 'not for resale' items that much more complicated for trading. You buy a B/S white and want to trade for say a Binaural Vinyl which is $100+ these days, right? You could do two things that could be considered 'flipping':

1. Buy an extra B/S white and offer a straight-up trade, essentially valuing your vinyl at $100+ (this of course disregards what the Binaural vinyl was originally bought for)

2. Buy an extra B/S white, sell it for $100+ and use that money to buy a Binaural vinyl

Both accomplish the same thing and have the same intent, but you'd be crucified for doing #2 while #1 sits in a huge grey area.

I don't know the answer and I'd bet there isn't a solid one that could be agreed upon, but I think its safe to say both sides of this argument have a lot of ammo to work with.
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,680
    Absolutely Dave. Whether people agree or disagree on this very boring and overplayed debate..... To report someone is something else entirely.

Everyone knows I'm a collector - I buy things for me only. I have out of a few thousand pj items only a handful of doubles...and that's only because at times I've been a complete idiot and bought something I have without even knowing

You have to wonder what the tenc would think if they get emails reporting members for selling something that was not not for resale and I suppose even if it was stated not for sale. It's like telling tales at school right? They must feel like they are dealing the school yard.

Obviously this isn't going 'to go away. They are releasing limited products for a reason... And naturally limited products are gonna create a huge secondary market. They do every time. I'm
    A sucker for them so on occasion I've been whacked by a flipper.... I wasn't upset - no one made me do it and I got something I really wanted. Sure it would have been nice at cost price... But I missed those sales and I tend to live in the real world. There are only so many nice people out there who are not driven by the $ like 'the rest of the world is

But frankly reporting these things is downright crazy. I simply don't have enough time to get involved and 'police' what others do with their possessions nor the interest/inclination
    copying and pasting my comments from another thread as it fits here. thanks

everyone here on both sides have valid points but from seeing in another thread where people should be reported for selling something that is their's to do with? That's a little rough isn't it? Who are we to report someone for selling something that is their's? I mean if I want to sell mine, raffle it off to charity, or serve my kids breakfast on it, its up to me and no one else. I bought it. If I want to run my car off a cliff, i can because its mine, I bought it.

This is different in my opinion than the backpack. For the white vinyl, it never said "Not for resale" etc. I believe anyway. Anyway, that's my 2 cents and I will sit back and enjoy watching the great points from both sides carry on!
  • hostishostis Posts: 441
    it seems to me that the only major issue about flipping is time.

people seem to object if an item such as a backpack is sold for a 500% profit 3 weeks after it sold out through 10c, yet it seems acceptable for Benny Hall vinyl or Lost Dogs vinyl to be sold for 1000% profit a few years after it sold out from 10c?

I'd love to see what happens when I put my SOLAT promo or Alive 12" promo on ebay. These are stated on the sleeves "NOT FOR RESALE". Is that inferring that if I sell these someone will report me to 10 Club?
  • Been a long time since I have been bashed around here, so I am going to throw in my two cents and then let you all drag me through the coals...

Although I am pretty much out of the collecting game these days for reasons known by most.....

I see it a little bit differently..AS A COLLECTOR...when I was playing the game.....I still dont see a problem with any of what I have read, and while I see both sides of the argument, I still think I side here:

Backpack goes on sale in the middle of the night/day and I miss out on it....sucks for me....I make a couple of inquiries to friends that I think may have got an extra...NO LUCK....I then happen to be on line when the white backspacer goes on sale...I absentmindedly snatch one(more than likely 2) up for the sole purpose of trading it for the backpack....I guess in most peoples eyes, I am now the devil/flipper..But I have achieved my goal, and have filled a hole in my collection....I dont care if it is 2 days or 2 years down the road...If I have something that I WANT....and someone else is willing to trade me for something they WANT, regardless of the time frame or value, and both parties are ok with it....I guess I have no problem with that, and I do not consider it flipping...

To me, it is no different than the people who missed out on it posting a thread that says something like...HAVE LOST DOGS VINYL WILL TRADE FOR BACKPACK....I dont see many people being pissed at those people who are looking for something?? I only see the anger come out when the person who got the backpack, makes a post for the exact opposite...HAVE AN EXTRA BACKPACK...LOOKING FOR LOST DOG VINYL....This person would be dragged behind a truck around here and we all know it...

We are a hypocritical group at best....It just depends on when and where we are at the time as to how severe the beating will be.....While I have the UTMOST respect for the views of folks like dimi, pj-cubs, shep, drsluggo, frank bauer and many many others, and consider them all friends, I would not hesitate to do what I had to do to obtain something I needed for my collection, regardless of what people thought, because as I said, at the end of the day, if a person has something I want...and I have something they want....I dont see an issue...Do I feel bad for the folks who missed out? Certainly do...but I have missed out on my share of things over the years....But if it is something I want, I will figure out a way to get it....

hits the nail on he head..

and also a white backspacer was valued at $800-1000 plus until the day of the sale..trust me i know i paid $800 a year ago

can we just let the mods/tim etc do the policing on here...some of you are taking this all to far.
  • :)
    my friend Scott...flipping isnt i do a trade for have at my collection an item..understand what you say..
    for sure someone needs the time is collector to get the item he wants ..in any way..
    is that ok i want the ethical way between the fans?
    someone looking to trade the white vinyl before 10c ship it for a poster of 96 worth 500???
    he can do it..
    but for sure i dont like his way,i will not do trades with him,i dont think him as a fan but as a flipper..
    thats the way i feel about it..we have so shit in the world..we can fuckin choose to do the good in this community for once....we can do different..we can..and i can proove it to you... ,with things YOU DID for the community...
    maybe its just me..see things this way..but at least at the end of the day
    i can still fuckin look myself at the mirror..

Dimi....what is unethical about two people making and agreed upon trade where both parties are getting what they want out of it??. arent we doing good in the community if two parties get something that each of them want? I am not talking about going to ebay and making $ on the item, I am talking about a straight up trade....regardless of perceived value, the two people involved are both getting what they want, right? There will ALWAYS be someone who missed out on something for whatever reason...Money...timing....amount available, etc......that is just the way life is...I guess I just dont see it as unethical to trade something whether new or old....

There are many things that go on here that would constitute good in this community..It happens everyday, and you and many others are a big part of that(hell, I have even done my share of good things, believe it or not)...I just dont see this as wrong...Again, it is about perception...What may be acceptable to me and many others, may not be to you and many others....But as I stated...If the two people involved are ok with it, why shouldnt everyone else be? Because they got left out? Because they didnt happen to be on line when the item was released? Because the site locked up when they hit the submit button? I mean, where is the line drawn and by whom? We are the judge, the jury and the executioners here, but sometimes, we are our own worst enemy in some cases....

I RESPECT you and most everyone here, but at the end of the day, I guess we agree to disagree here(and that is ok, it is what makes the world go round)...I can still look at myself in the mirror at the end of the day too...:-)
    buddy,,i m talking for the one open a thread and ask a poster of 500$ at the market and gives the white backspacer he just bought from 10c....if 2 parties wanna do the trade,is their business,not mine..we agree at this.. :)

was that poster not once $30 as well..what are we pissed at here the time scale of a backpack/vinyl getting to $300 over a poster from 98
    Been a long time since I have been bashed around here, so I am going to throw in my two cents and then let you all drag me through the coals...

hits the nail on he head..

and also a white backspacer was valued at $800-1000 plus until the day of the sale..trust me i know i paid $800 a year ago

can we just let the mods/tim etc do the policing on here...some of you are taking this all to far.

Now thats a very sensible idea Thrilla.....I dont think they need an army of foot soldier tell tales backing them up....
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,141

was that poster not once $30 as well..what are we pissed at here the time scale of a backpack/vinyl getting to $300 over a poster from 98
    the dollar at 96 was different than 2011 Kevin.the market make a rare item is different an item release at 96 than 2011...if dont guys dont wanna see what im taking about its fine.,.,
    but the flippers put the prices up..playing their game and i dont like it..
    you will not pay 800 for that vinyl kevin..now you know there are 5000 of the them and 10c sold them and you can find it here at face value than ebay,or a flipper,right?
    who play that game and you pay 800 cos was 100 pressed only?
    in one word????

bullshit...kevin..big one...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”

the dollar at 96 was different than 2011 Kevin.the market make a rare item is different an item release at 96 than 2011...if dont guys dont wanna see what im taking about its fine.,.,
    you will not pay 800 for that vinyl kevin..now you know there are 5000 of the them and 10c sold them and you can find it here at face value than ebay,or a flipper,right?
    in one word????

the burning question Dimi is how long till the market makes the item rare and worth more than original price?

Is it acceptable to pay $250 for a Klausen DC, or failing that even $350-400 for the Bridge 2010 AP.....or should that be offered at $60?
    pdalowsky wrote:

in one word????

the burning question Dimi is how long till the market makes the item rare and worth more than original price?

Is it acceptable to pay $250 for a Klausen DC, or failing that even $350-400 for the Bridge 2010 AP.....or should that be offered at $60?
    i dont know..im not the market.i dont talk about ebay or other sites,im talking about trades and sales here.
    here need some how to be protected by flippers..thats why Santos did the right thing
    some people lost the chance to help friend,and flippers to do their business
    when someone offers his white backspacer for dublin 96 poster at lost dog forum before 10c even ship the vinyl.in my dictionary called flipper and i dont like it..
    thats all im saying...from there ,everyone can do what he wants..
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Mikee JMikee J Posts: 1,323
    From another thread,....

Reading all the opinions on here I think the main points are this. Flipping sucks, end of. Buying for trade is a little more complicated. I think to trade something that you haven't even got in the post yet suggests you had no intention of doing anything other than that. This I disagree with and see as bad as flipping. Trading something you have had, opened etc etc is OK. This is your right as the owner of the product, fair do's.

There have been some comments about people (like me) being Jealous or throwing the toys out the pram because of the White Vinyl issue. Personally I take it as an insult that someone buys something, then puts it up for trade before its even been shipped. Its basically putting up one finger to me and saying "fuck you". So I for one, will always see that as a bad thing to do to the other members on this board who buy things because they want to own something. There are, believe it or not, people who want to own PJ merch and play it, or read it or even (god forbid!) stick on the wall!

What I will say is this. Next time anyone buys something with the sole purpose of trading it. The item is limited and sells out, there are then people upset as they didn't get one and they see them being traded. Perhaps the right thing to do would be to post it as For Sale.. for face.
    "My body's nobody's body but mine"

• was that poster not once $30 as well..what are we pissed at here the time scale of a backpack/vinyl getting to $300 over a poster from 98
    in one word????

ok so whos fault is it ..

i paid $800 for an item i thought(my fault totally)there were only 100-200 world wide.

now pearl jam or 10c made the white vinyl for what ever season i do not know..but it ended up being a tool to make a shit load of money for charity.$1000's a vinyl..they gave them out to make shit loads of money .And one charity auction online it stated this is one of only 100-200 white vinyls info given from pearl jam..

so are you calling 10c flippers...no way ..they made tons of cash not for their pocket but for good courses.

also im not at all pissed off i spent $800 on it.(ok maybe a little :lol: ).but i love collecting

so should have 10c have told us two years ago..that we have made 500-5000 white vinyls that you will all get for $30 in two years time..hell no..

in one word????

i paid $800 for an item i thought(my fault totally)there were only 100-200 world wide.

now pearl jam or 10c made the white vinyl for what ever season i do not know..but it ended up being a tool to make a shit load of money for charity.$1000's a vinyl..they gave them out to make shit loads of money .And one charity auction online it stated this is one of only 100-200 white vinyls info given from pearl jam..

so are you calling 10c flippers...no way ..they made tons of cash not for their pocket but for good courses.

also im not at all pissed off i spent $800 on it.(ok maybe a little :lol: ).but i love collecting

so should have 10c have told us two years ago..that we have made 500-5000 white vinyls that you will all get for $30 in two years time..hell no..

I think the real issue here was the nonsense of people threatening to report people. That is too much. People are getting carried away, and need to take a step back.
  • the burning question Dimi is how long till the market makes the item rare and worth more than original price?

i dont know..im not the market.i dont talk about ebay or other sites,im talking about trades and sales here.
    here need some how to be protected by flippers..thats why Santos did the right thing
    when someone offers his white backspacer for dublin 96 poster at lost dog forum before 10c even ship the vinyl.in my dictionary called flipper and i dont like it..

so your just forcing everyone on ebay...great move :?

If people bought things they wanted, not just for their own personal gain then less people would need to go on Ebay...
    and lets not forget some people lost the chance to help their friends BECAUSE of Santos reversal....and left friends Vinylless when they could have scored their own in the second sale, and didnt only because they were already taken care of.
    Mikee J wrote:

If people bought things they wanted, not just for their own personal gain then less people would need to go on Ebay...

I think what you are looking for is some sort of Utopian revolution? it certainly helps to stay realistic here....im sure we all enjoy living in a capitalist and free democracy......there is a free market which ultimately is there to serve peoples needs and wants.
    pdalowsky wrote:
    I think what you are looking for is some sort of Utopian revolution? it certainly helps to stay realistic here....im sure we all enjoy living in a capitalist and free democracy......there is a free market which ultimately is there to serve peoples needs and wants.

I agree with this.. however, we can all make decisions ourselves that are for the better for all of us.

Ethical decisions is a personal thing. What goes around comes around.
  • Mikee J wrote:
    pdalowsky wrote:

I agree with this.. however, we can all make decisions ourselves that are for the better for all of us.

Ethical decisions is a personal thing. What goes around comes around.

agree

we all try to help each other out..and not over charge..but no one is going to sell a benny at $40 as no one is really going to sell a backpack at $70

trading in here is done for both parties to get what they want with out the need of going to ebay.and if its possible with out spending any money at all..

i forcing them?.are u kidding me??..im saying dont do ebay prices here,..
    as it seems my english are not good to understand what im saying..
    Mikee J wrote:

seems my english are good for Belgium...

the fault is yours...(if we can talk about fault.you are a colector..)and the ones told u is 100-200..was a mistake?or a fake info for the collectors to pay more?
  • i understand you dimi

just dont agree on all points

i agree wuth you ..it sucks to buy it just to make money

i dont agree with you on the value of a items being worth more just because its older then a backpack..it is what it is..value of backpack will come down even on ebay..its just the earlier birds getting the big $$$$

ok said all im going to on this..
    i understand you dimi

just dont agree on all points

i agree wuth you ..it sucks to buy it just to make money

i dont agree with you on the value of a items being worth more just because its older then a backpack..it is what it is..value of backpack will come down even on ebay..its just the earlier birds getting the big $$$$

ok said all im going to on this..
    seriously..you are are more freak collector than me.pj isnt my number1 collection .i dont want you to pay money cos some people play this game..and they play it Kevin..atleast dont play it here where we are paying fan club members..whatever 10c do to that direction,to protect us from flippers im with them....

• ok so whos fault is it ..

the fault is yours...(if we can talk about fault.you are a colector..)and the ones told u is 100-200..was a mistake?or a fake info for the collectors to pay more?

thats a big statment to make dimi without you knowing where i got mine from

thats a big statment to make dimi without you knowing where i got mine from
    i dont know where..i just ask..my statement as you say has a question mark Kevin..i ask...
    mistake?or a fake info for the collectors to pay more?
    maybe the one gave the info to the guy told you play the game...who knows?...i dont
    but someone make alot of money cos of this info...
    The info was presented by the charity who sold one of the first Backspacers....they said it was donated by Tenclub, along with a blue fixer ...it clearly stated between 150-200 were made, and less than 75 blue fixers (which seems to be incorrect given I heard it was said on the radio show they had a box full at tenclub).

The auction riased $3200 for the whitebackspacer.....and it all went to a great cause....but that info then fuelled a crazy demand for it,.....so in that respect when Kev got the chance he paid $800 for it,m in fact he probably couldnt buy it quick enough for what would be considered on the facts 'a great price'. At the time that was clever reasoned collecting. A great deal.

This is a circular argument however and going nowhere.

I guess its time to agree to disagree, but Please, can we stop it with this reporting business? Thats the only thing that really raised my eyebrow in all this.....

The flipping issue, trading issue, etc is another issue that no one will agree on - as evidenced by the other 38 threads in the last 24 hrs, But we are all grown ups here, and telling tales is really for children.
  • How long will this discussion continue? We know most people hate flippers. But I would sell my backpack and white vinyl for the price they pay on eBay. Every person has a right to do with their own stuff as they please. They paid for the items so they are free to do whatever they want.
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    But Dimi, my question to you(and anyone else for that matter) and my argument here is that if BOTH PARTIES ARE HAPPY with what they have recieved, then doesnt percieved value go out the window? Havent I done a good thing in the community if I have given the backpack or the bs white to someone for a 96 dublin if it has filled a hole in either collection? Maybe you see it as crazy or lopsided, but again, if both parties are content, I dont understand where the issue is???
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
    But Dimi, my question to you(and anyone else for that matter) and my argument here is that if BOTH PARTIES ARE HAPPY with what they have recieved, then doesnt percieved value go out the window? Havent I done a good thing in the community if I have given the backpack or the bs white to someone for a 96 dublin if it has filled a hole in either collection? Maybe you see it as crazy or lopsided, but again, if both parties are content, I dont understand where the issue is???
    if both parties are ok ,how can anyone do something about it?and even isnt anyone bussiness to do
    but we are not talking this here......we are talking about flippers buy multiple for resell for profit..or people want to take advantange of the moment and offer it before even shipping from 10c for something that the market all this years made the price..a price higher of the item they just bought from 10c..
    seriously,what people dont understand of what im saying?
    is it legal to do it?i dont give a shit,,im not a lawyer..ill not search
    in my book,,it unethical...end of story..and i dont like it

thats im posting..i dont like it..everyone do what you like..
    i dont like it..