2023-2024 NHL Regular Season

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    dignin said:
    Much better game tonight when the refs are letting them play.
    I've always hated that whole "it's the playoffs, let them play" crap. A penalty is a penalty no matter if it's opening night or game 7 of the Final. The rules of the game are there for a reason. You don't just throw the book out the window because it's the playoffs. That goes for any sport. 

That said, go Preds!!
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    dignin said:
    I've always hated that whole "it's the playoffs, let them play" crap. A penalty is a penalty no matter if it's opening night or game 7 of the Final. The rules of the game are there for a reason. You don't just throw the book out the window because it's the playoffs. That goes for any sport. 

That said, go Preds!!
    I don't think you get it, but that doesn't matter. Hate all you want, it was a way better game. The refs were consistent and therefore the players could play good, hard, fast, aggressive hockey.
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

That said, go Preds!!
    I don't think you get it, but that doesn't matter. Hate all you want, it was a way better game. The refs were consistent and therefore the players could play good, hard, fast, aggressive hockey.
    I get it perfectly fine.
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

That said, go Preds!!
    I get it perfectly fine.

dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

That said, go Preds!!
    I get it perfectly fine.

Diane, this place has some damn fine coffee!
    Point being, you want good, hard, fast, aggressive hockey... play by the rules and there won't be stoppages.
    edited June 2017
    Point being, you want good, hard, fast, aggressive hockey... play by the rules and there won't be stoppages.
    But that's not my point. In those first 2 games there were a lot of obvious penalties that weren't called and a lot of calls that shouldn't have been called. The players will then pull up and be apprehensive because they have no idea what will be called and not called. Hockey isn't like a lot of other sports, what the refs call is not black and white. It can be very subjective....and they fuck up all the time, which is understandable, it's a very fast game. I'm sure if we were watching a game together we would disagree sometimes on what is and isn't a penalty given the play and the circumstances, even with slow motion replay. It happens all the time with me and my friends. 

dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

That said, go Preds!!
    I get it perfectly fine.

Diane, this place has some damn fine coffee!
    Haha
    Ah ok, I follow ya.  So consistency is more the issue than anything.  That's completely understandable and I totally agree.  Kinda like when a home plate umpire paints the corners for one pitcher but not the other.  Both teams don't get to play by the same rules.  A pitch that one batter can lay off, another has to take.  I'm all for keeping the bogus calls out and playing fair for both sides.
    edited June 2017
    Ah ok, I follow ya.  So consistency is more the issue than anything.  That's completely understandable and I totally agree.  Kinda like when a home plate umpire paints the corners for one pitcher but not the other.  Both teams don't get to play by the same rules.  A pitch that one batter can lay off, another has to take.  I'm all for keeping the bogus calls out and playing fair for both sides.
    We are on the same page. :)
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    Way to go Preds!
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Nice. We have a best of 3 series to take it all.
    I must say, that Nashville crowd(environment) is electric.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    Nice. We have a best of 3 series to take it all.
    I must say, that Nashville crowd(environment) is electric.
    That was an incredible win last night. The playoff crowd has always been that way, but this year, with this run, it has gone to an entirely new level. There was an estimated 50k people downtown on Broadway and the bars on Saturday night. Last night, I'm guessing it was about 25-30k. And they all do the same cheers outside that we do in the arena lol. If we can manage to win this thing, this town may explode.

• JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Nashville is putting a lot of other towns to shame. Of course the winning does help. Looks like a lot of fun for them.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    8 years ago when the Penguins won their first Cup with Crysby, the local bars were a sea of light blue, black, and gold.  It was asshole-to-elbow everywhere you went.  Now the same 3 fans show up to watch the games and the rest of the bar is empty.

Go Preds!!
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    JK_Livin said:
    Nashville is putting a lot of other towns to shame. Of course the winning does help. Looks like a lot of fun for them.
    Nashville built hockey the right way unlike some other cities.  they have had the same GM since coming to the NHL, they have drafted well and also embraced the culture that Nashville as a city has.  also ticket prices are still reasonable unlike many other cities
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Nashville has done it well... but we will see if/when they miss the playoffs a few seasons, and if that will have a major effect.  I remember Carolina "fans" all tooting their own horns because they stood during the cup finals and make a lot of noise due to the drop ceiling...  the season after they won the cup, they already had half-empty games.

IMO Nashville is different though, as they have 'arrived' some time ago, but it wasn't widely reported.  No NBA team there, not a ton of competition other than a vibrant nightlife which can go hand in hand with hockey.  The worse thing that could happen, honestly is them winning the Cup.  The "chase" breeds enthusiasm and the bond.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    MayDay10 said:
    Nashville has done it well... but we will see if/when they miss the playoffs a few seasons, and if that will have a major effect.  I remember Carolina "fans" all tooting their own horns because they stood during the cup finals and make a lot of noise due to the drop ceiling...  the season after they won the cup, they already had half-empty games.

Yep.  While the fans in Nashville have been awesome this postseason, let's not forget that this is the same organization that just a couple years ago had to have a major marketing campaign to keep Blackhawks fans from going to games there because every time the Hawks played down there, it was 50% Hawks fans at least.  They even went so far as to block people with non-Tennessee zip codes from buying tickets.  Everything is great when your team is playing for the Cup...but let's not act like this is Hockeytown part 2.
    MayDay10 said:

Yep.  While the fans in Nashville have been awesome this postseason, let's not forget that this is the same organization that just a couple years ago had to have a major marketing campaign to keep Blackhawks fans from going to games there because every time the Hawks played down there, it was 50% Hawks fans at least.  They even went so far as to block people with non-Tennessee zip codes from buying tickets.  Everything is great when your team is playing for the Cup...but let's not act like this is Hockeytown part 2.
    Nashville may never be a Detroit, or Chicago or Buffalo or Pittsburgh when it comes to a hockey town. and the fans here are really finicky, but this city stepped up and saved the team when it was just mediocre 10 years ago. There will be drop off when they miss out on the playoffs, but we'll be just fine.
    ponytd said:
    MayDay10 said:

Nashville may never be a Detroit, or Chicago or Buffalo or Pittsburgh when it comes to a hockey town. and the fans here are really finicky, but this city stepped up and saved the team when it was just mediocre 10 years ago. There will be drop off when they miss out on the playoffs, but we'll be just fine.
    The ebbs and flows of success and mediocrity are expected.

As a Blackhawks fan myself, our fan base has certainly endured its share of "bandwagon" calling over the past few years.  What many people don't understand is the absolute horrid way the team was ran under it's previous owner.  Dollar Bill Wirtz didn't give a shit about the fans.  I'd argue he didn't give a shit about the team.  I mean, the guy sold one of our championship banners for $600, that's how much of a fucking tightwad he was.  He refused to put the team on television because "if you can't come to the stadium and buy a ticket, you don't deserve to watch them play."  Thankfully, father time had enough of Dollar Bill and his son took over the team.  And whattya know, marketing, tv contracts, a front office that wants to build a successful team, embracing the city, fan fests & fan interaction, charities, etc, etc.  And he were are doubling our Stanley Cups less than 10 years later.  Sure, people jump on the wagon.  But many of us have always been there.  We just weren't given a product to appreciate.

I know Nashville is in our division but I'm seeing the same kind of drive from ownership there that's happened in Chicago over the last decade.  When things are done the right way, there's absolutely no shame in basking in the glory!  Win or lose the series, enjoy this while you can.  It's great for the fans, it's great for the city.  It's good to see one of the newer teams in the league actually embrace the hockey culture and help it grow.

Go Preds!!
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    ponytd said:
    MayDay10 said:

Didn't Pittsburgh almost go  bankrupt and lose their team in the time between Mario and Sidney?  I think they have been a good hockey town because they have had great teams and two generational players.  I'm not sure how great the support would be if/when they head back to mediocrity or worse.

Gotta give Nashville a ton of credit for the last 2 games. I thought they were done,  should be a great finish to the series now. with Nashville having only lost 1 home game in the playoffs so far gotta think Pittsburgh is feeling the pressure to win game 5.

not a fan of 2 days off between each game now.
    ponytd said:
    MayDay10 said:

As a Blackhawks fan myself, our fan base has certainly endured its share of "bandwagon" calling over the past few years.  What many people don't understand is the absolute horrid way the team was ran under it's previous owner.  Dollar Bill Wirtz didn't give a shit about the fans.  I'd argue he didn't give a shit about the team.  I mean, the guy sold one of our championship banners for $600, that's how much of a fucking tightwad he was.  He refused to put the team on television because "if you can't come to the stadium and buy a ticket, you don't deserve to watch them play."  Thankfully, father time had enough of Dollar Bill and his son took over the team.  And whattya know, marketing, tv contracts, a front office that wants to build a successful team, embracing the city, fan fests & fan interaction, charities, etc, etc.  And he were are doubling our Stanley Cups less than 10 years later.  Sure, people jump on the wagon.  But many of us have always been there.  We just weren't given a product to appreciate.

I know Nashville is in our division but I'm seeing the same kind of drive from ownership there that's happened in Chicago over the last decade.  When things are done the right way, there's absolutely no shame in basking in the glory!  Win or lose the series, enjoy this while you can.  It's great for the fans, it's great for the city.  It's good to see one of the newer teams in the league actually embrace the hockey culture and help it grow.

Go Preds!!
    Isn't it amazing that 10 years ago Blackhawks home games weren't even on TV???  Crazy.
    ponytd said:
    MayDay10 said:

thats funny cause 2 of the 4 teams you listed I don't consider hockey towns at all.  I don't see Pittsburgh or Buffalo as  hockey town.  Pittsburgh has been very popular since Sid got there but before he got there the team was in deep trouble.  Buffalo is saved alot because of how close they are to Canada. 
    there are not alot of cities where if the teams don't make the playoffs fans don't show up.  infact i think there are only about 9 cities where fans show up no matter what. 
    ponytd said:
    MayDay10 said:

Go Preds!!
    Isn't it amazing that 10 years ago Blackhawks home games weren't even on TV???  Crazy.
    They had really bad ownership.  I remember reports of people like Toews being out on the street giving people free tickets during his rookie season
    fife said:
    ponytd said:
    MayDay10 said:

Go Preds!!
    They had really bad ownership.  I remember reports of people like Toews being out on the street giving people free tickets during his rookie season

It was so bad.....they went from being the worst organization in all of sports to one of the best.  We used to go to games when we were in college and walk up the day of the game and get $8 tickets...now you'd be lucky to get in the building for less than $100.  The price of winning isn't cheap...

ponytd said:
    MayDay10 said:

Go Preds!!
    Totally agree. There's nothing wrong with growing the game. This team has always done a great job of trying to get fans more involved. And since the local ownership(with some outsiders in there as well) took over 10 years ago, they've done an even better job. The benefits package for season ticket holders is great and they do lots for the community. The fanbase has grown tremendously over the last 10 years, and with this unbelievable run they have made, they have grown even more. My 69 year old mom has watched every game. She has no clue what is happening, but she's excited by it. I've also met several people who have said "I don't know much about hockey, but they have me excited and I've bought season tickets now". I know winning helps, but the fanbase has been growing every year and we haven't exactly been setting the world on fire. Hell, we were the 16th ranked team entering the playoffs.

Hopefully other owners will try and copy what we're doing down here and try and grow the brand. I was worried about how the hockey world would react to Nashville in the Cup Final, but so far, viewership is up 24% over last year and game 4 was the 2nd most watched game 4 of the Stanley Cup ever.

And glad the Hawks are under better ownership now. I grew up a fan of them since they were really the only team that was shown around here back in the day. And as long as we're not playing ya'll, go hawks lol
    fife said:
    ponytd said:
    MayDay10 said:

thats funny cause 2 of the 4 teams you listed I don't consider hockey towns at all.  I don't see Pittsburgh or Buffalo as  hockey town.  Pittsburgh has been very popular since Sid got there but before he got there the team was in deep trouble.  Buffalo is saved alot because of how close they are to Canada. 
    there are not alot of cities where if the teams don't make the playoffs fans don't show up.  infact i think there are only about 9 cities where fans show up no matter what. 
    Well, I know lots of people from the Pittsburgh area that are big Pens fans. I know the Steelers rule that town, but from everything I've heard, they do love their pens too, but totally get that. And Buffalo, they always seem to have high viewership for hockey on tv, like Pittsburgh, so I guess I was really thinking along those lines.

I hate hearing about Anaheim and Ottawa, who were in the conference finals and had trouble selling out those games. that's just absurd
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    edited June 2017
    fife said:
    ponytd said:
    MayDay10 said:

So Buffalo is disqualified because Canada is close, but not Detroit?  Do we disqualify Canadian teams as well because they are in Canada?

The Sabres have been a doormat.
    Buffalo hasn't won a playoff series in a decade, has the 2nd longest playoff-less drought in the NHL, and has been the worst team in the league for a chunk of that, not sniffing a meaningful game.  Season tickets are still capped at about 90% of capacity with a waiting list that has been in place since 2006.  The franchise is nearly 50 years old, and professional hockey has been in Buffalo for nearly 80 years (going on 100 if you include a team if Fort Erie who called themselves "Buffalo").  There wasn't a ticket to be had in the entire decade of the 70s.   There are a shit-ton of hockey rinks in the area and loads of youth and adult participation.  The combine is stationed here on a semi-long term basis, and arguably the NHL's best goal-scorer is from here.  Buffalo remains at or near the top of the US television ratings for every hockey related event, even when the Sabres aren't involved.  People have NHL Draft watch parties.  

http://sportsbusinessnews.com/content/nhl-all-star-game-ratings-numbers
    2017 All Star Game
    Market Rating
    1. Pittsburgh 6.1
    2. Buffalo 5.3
    3. Minneapolis-St. Paul 3.7
    4. St. Louis 3.4
    5. Chicago 3.1
    5. Philadelphia 3.1
    7. Detroit 2.7
    8. Columbus 2.6
    9. Washington, D.C. 2.5
    10. New York 2.3
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
    ponytd said:
    fife said:
    ponytd said:
    MayDay10 said:

Well, I know lots of people from the Pittsburgh area that are big Pens fans. I know the Steelers rule that town, but from everything I've heard, they do love their pens too, but totally get that. And Buffalo, they always seem to have high viewership for hockey on tv, like Pittsburgh, so I guess I was really thinking along those lines.

I hate hearing about Anaheim and Ottawa, who were in the conference finals and had trouble selling out those games. that's just absurd
    I cant speak about Anaheim but the reason for Ottawa not selling out is due to a couple of reason.  number 1 that I heard is where the rink is located makes it hard for people to get there in time for the game and number 2 and i can attest to this one myself is that there are many seats at the rink where the views are very bad and are obstructed. 

I think ottawa is in a tough situation because they are right in the middle of both Montreal and Toronto who do have very rabib fan bases.  there are many fans of both of those teams in Ottawa
    fife said:
    ponytd said:
    fife said:
    ponytd said:
    MayDay10 said:

I cant speak about Anaheim but the reason for Ottawa not selling out is due to a couple of reason.  number 1 that I heard is where the rink is located makes it hard for people to get there in time for the game and number 2 and i can attest to this one myself is that there are many seats at the rink where the views are very bad and are obstructed. 

I think ottawa is in a tough situation because they are right in the middle of both Montreal and Toronto who do have very rabib fan bases.  there are many fans of both of those teams in Ottawa
    So many excuses for Ottawa but the fact remains that they had trouble selling out games in the conference finals....if you can't get fans to come out for that, then I don't know when the hell they'll come.  The league definitely needs to take a look at whether they can sustain a franchise especially when there are other cities like Seattle, Quebec City, KC, etc. that badly want a franchise.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Come the F on Nashville.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.