2017-2018 NHL Regular Season

12357164

Comments

  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,350
    The scary part is how many guys are playing concussed now because they feel they have to.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 16,833
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    The NHL a joke, Crosby is out, Giroux is out, yet the bozos running that league refuse to act in regards to head shots.
    My take is that if they do, then they risk exposure to future lawsuits and claims. The NFL is the same way.

    Who the hell wants to watch a sport when your stars are sidelined...not me. They are already open to lawsuits.

    They don't even want to address the issue. But they probably spent hours upon hours debating realignment.

    No wonder more people watch bowling than the NHL.
    What is the solution?
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo PhillyPosts: 7,327
    lukin2006 wrote:
    The NHL a joke, Crosby is out, Giroux is out, yet the bozos running that league refuse to act in regards to head shots.

    Banning head shots has nothing to do with Giroux's concussion. He was accidentally kneed by his teammate. Not sure what can be done about it - sometimes shit happens. It sure does suck though.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12;
    WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16

    Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11
    EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11
    Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    lukin2006 wrote:
    The NHL a joke, Crosby is out, Giroux is out, yet the bozos running that league refuse to act in regards to head shots.

    Banning head shots has nothing to do with Giroux's concussion. He was accidentally kneed by his teammate. Not sure what can be done about it - sometimes shit happens. It sure does suck though.

    I realize some concussions are accidental...they still have to ban head shots.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

    "Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC2oQ0wxCKE

    No one will ever convince me that this hit on Crosby was accidental.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

    "Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 16,833
    All you can really do is really come down hard on those that deliver hits to the head and maybe start banning repeat offenders ... and it appears that is the avenue the NHL is headed in. The other avenue is putting a ton of research into helmets.

    Other then that, it's a violent game. Last night Johan Franzen, who has a history of concussions, was cross-checked by Matt Cooke a millisecond after he scored and fell backwards hitting his head on the ice. He was OK. Should Cooke, who has a history of violent hit, get a suspension in hindsight? If Franzen was knocked cold, Cooke would probably get a rules committee review. As it was, no harm, no foul.

    So what does the league do? If someone needs to be injured to draw suspension, the harm is already done. If you start issuing fines for every hit that crosses the line, the game is going to be changed completely. If that is what needs to be done, Brendan Shanahan had better start hiring.

    I don't know what the best solution is.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,350
    yeah ... it's up to the players to a) protect themselves (no more turning your back at the last second to draw a boarding penalty) and b) to respect other players ... you can take a guy out of the play without putting his life/livelihood at risk ...

    having said that - there has to be a crackdown ... and every play is open to review by the nhl ...
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    polaris_x wrote:
    yeah ... it's up to the players to a) protect themselves (no more turning your back at the last second to draw a boarding penalty) and b) to respect other players ... you can take a guy out of the play without putting his life/livelihood at risk ...

    having said that - there has to be a crackdown ... and every play is open to review by the nhl ...

    The respect part is really key...I have felt for a long time the nhl players lack respect for one another. That's the big difference between the NHL and NFL, the NFL players for the most seem to respect 1 another, that's why when Suh stomped on that guy there was such a negative reaction.

    Hockey a rough enough sport without the need for head shots and hitting a guy from behind.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

    "Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo PhillyPosts: 7,327
    lukin2006 wrote:


    No one will ever convince me that this hit on Crosby was accidental.

    That was obviously not accidental. The Giroux concussion was completely accidental. The Crosby hit is what the league can work to prevent.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12;
    WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16

    Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11
    EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11
    Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • cdp1223cdp1223 Posts: 1,131
    Jason P wrote:
    All you can really do is really come down hard on those that deliver hits to the head and maybe start banning repeat offenders ... and it appears that is the avenue the NHL is headed in. The other avenue is putting a ton of research into helmets.

    Other then that, it's a violent game. Last night Johan Franzen, who has a history of concussions, was cross-checked by Matt Cooke a millisecond after he scored and fell backwards hitting his head on the ice. He was OK. Should Cooke, who has a history of violent hit, get a suspension in hindsight? If Franzen was knocked cold, Cooke would probably get a rules committee review. As it was, no harm, no foul.

    So what does the league do? If someone needs to be injured to draw suspension, the harm is already done. If you start issuing fines for every hit that crosses the line, the game is going to be changed completely. If that is what needs to be done, Brendan Shanahan had better start hiring.

    I don't know what the best solution is.
    I like this logic.
    Sorry, as mentioned in my other posts, I haven't been around in forever, but I want to talk about sports with someone other than the knuckleheads in my office for once.
    Who's your team? I like you from your NFL logic, but this relationship may go south quickly based on your answer here. :lol:
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool.Posts: 31,124
    cdp1223 wrote:
    but I want to talk about sports with someone other than the knuckleheads in my office for once.

    who's to say who is the knucklehead in your office?
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 16,833
    cdp1223 wrote:
    I like this logic.
    Sorry, as mentioned in my other posts, I haven't been around in forever, but I want to talk about sports with someone other than the knuckleheads in my office for once.
    Who's your team? I like you from your NFL logic, but this relationship may go south quickly based on your answer here. :lol:
    Red Wings for hockey. Colts for football. Needless to say, I've been enjoying the NHL season much more then the NFL. :D

    I'm guessing you're a fan of all things Pittsburgh, PA? If so, it may be a rough road to friendship. Of course, everything can be worked out over some Yuengling and a shared hatred for the Patriots. :mrgreen:
  • cdp1223cdp1223 Posts: 1,131
    norm wrote:
    cdp1223 wrote:
    but I want to talk about sports with someone other than the knuckleheads in my office for once.

    who's to say who is the knucklehead in your office?
    Oh how I've missed you.... :roll: :lol:
  • cdp1223cdp1223 Posts: 1,131
    Jason P wrote:
    Red Wings for hockey. Colts for football. Needless to say, I've been enjoying the NHL season much more then the NFL. :D

    I'm guessing you're a fan of all things Pittsburgh, PA? If so, it may be a rough road to friendship. Of course, everything can be worked out over some Yuengling and a shared hatred for the Patriots. :mrgreen:
    Oof, yeah, this is probably not the best day for us to talk. :lol: I figured it would be like 8-1 wings last night, though, so at least I wasn't totally devastated. Staal played like shit, even though Geno was on PCP all night and was a beast. :lol:
    I actually don't hate Detroit totally, because as a team, I like your system and the players are not dirty fuckwits like the Isles, let's say. Also, you now have my favorite littlest hockey player, Chris Conner! :lol: Seriously that dude looks like he is 12 when he is on the ice.

    But yeah, I am a Pittsburgh lady sports fan. Terrifying breed, I know.
  • cdp1223cdp1223 Posts: 1,131
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Who the hell wants to watch a sport when your stars are sidelined...not me. They are already open to lawsuits.

    They don't even want to address the issue. But they probably spent hours upon hours debating realignment.

    No wonder more people watch bowling than the NHL.
    I just saw this post and I have no idea what your argument is here. If you are a fan of the sport, you'd watch it regardless of who is playing. Christ, as a Pens fan, I have seen the weirdest lineups ever over the last year and a half. But I love hockey and I love my team and their system. So I watch every game. Would I like it if everyone were healthy and the team was able to put together the lines Bylsma has designed? Hell yeah. But I'm not going to turn the channel just because the marquee players are out. Maybe that is just me. Not saying you're wrong if that's what you want to do, I just don't see it that way for any sport.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,758
    lukin2006 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    yeah ... it's up to the players to a) protect themselves (no more turning your back at the last second to draw a boarding penalty) and b) to respect other players ... you can take a guy out of the play without putting his life/livelihood at risk ...

    having said that - there has to be a crackdown ... and every play is open to review by the nhl ...

    The respect part is really key...I have felt for a long time the nhl players lack respect for one another. That's the big difference between the NHL and NFL, the NFL players for the most seem to respect 1 another, that's why when Suh stomped on that guy there was such a negative reaction.

    Hockey a rough enough sport without the need for head shots and hitting a guy from behind.
    players haven't had respect for each other since helments were mandatory and the instigator rule. the refs shouldn't police the players, the players should police themselves.

    i don't wanna see headshots banned and this be like college hockey, but something needs to be done
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,350
    metsfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    The respect part is really key...I have felt for a long time the nhl players lack respect for one another. That's the big difference between the NHL and NFL, the NFL players for the most seem to respect 1 another, that's why when Suh stomped on that guy there was such a negative reaction.

    Hockey a rough enough sport without the need for head shots and hitting a guy from behind.
    players haven't had respect for each other since helments were mandatory and the instigator rule. the refs shouldn't police the players, the players should police themselves.

    i don't wanna see headshots banned and this be like college hockey, but something needs to be done

    i think most players have that respect ... you see it all the time ... the game moves really fast - there is so many opportunities for guys to take other guys out legally and they don't ... some guys tho play on an edge and those are the guys you have to watch ...

    btw - headshots are already banned and that's a good thing ...
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 16,833
    cdp1223 wrote:
    Oof, yeah, this is probably not the best day for us to talk. :lol: I figured it would be like 8-1 wings last night, though, so at least I wasn't totally devastated. Staal played like shit, even though Geno was on PCP all night and was a beast. :lol:
    I actually don't hate Detroit totally, because as a team, I like your system and the players are not dirty fuckwits like the Isles, let's say. Also, you now have my favorite littlest hockey player, Chris Conner! :lol: Seriously that dude looks like he is 12 when he is on the ice.

    But yeah, I am a Pittsburgh lady sports fan. Terrifying breed, I know.
    I can't believe Malkin didn't score on several of those powerplays! Wings were passing and forechecking, but for some reason decided taking shots wasn't a very high priority. If it wasn't for Datsyuk, that game would have went to O.T. It was a good night to be a Russian, I guess.

    Conner has been playing some good shifts.

    I hope Crosby gets better (even though I will regret saying that once he returns). I like to see top competition squaring off and the wins mean more when both teams are healthy.
  • cdp1223cdp1223 Posts: 1,131
    Jason P wrote:
    I can't believe Malkin didn't score on several of those powerplays! Wings were passing and forechecking, but for some reason decided taking shots wasn't a very high priority. If it wasn't for Datsyuk, that game would have went to O.T. It was a good night to be a Russian, I guess.

    Conner has been playing some good shifts.

    I hope Crosby gets better (even though I will regret saying that once he returns). I like to see top competition squaring off and the wins mean more when both teams are healthy.
    Fun fact about our PP: it sort of sucks! I don't know, Geno has been taking more shots lately, but Sullivan is just shy about shooting the goddamned puck and sometimes it sets up a miscommunication. Also, our PP is basically brand new this year and with injuries, we are still working out all the kinks. But yeah, in general, the PP is better than last year, but still really inconsistent.
    That game could have honestly gone either way and Howard had some fantastic saves. Plus our D is hobbled right now. Letang does so much for us, it has really hurt with him being gone. Fleury can only do so much.
    Whatever, though. We have Ottawa Friday, so we'll see what happens. :?
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    polaris_x wrote:

    btw - headshots are already banned and that's a good thing ...

    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2 ... -tues.html

    Unless something has changed since March and I know Crosby was calling for a ban in September.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

    "Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    edited December 2011
    cdp1223 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Who the hell wants to watch a sport when your stars are sidelined...not me. They are already open to lawsuits.

    They don't even want to address the issue. But they probably spent hours upon hours debating realignment.

    No wonder more people watch bowling than the NHL.
    I just saw this post and I have no idea what your argument is here. If you are a fan of the sport, you'd watch it regardless of who is playing. Christ, as a Pens fan, I have seen the weirdest lineups ever over the last year and a half. But I love hockey and I love my team and their system. So I watch every game. Would I like it if everyone were healthy and the team was able to put together the lines Bylsma has designed? Hell yeah. But I'm not going to turn the channel just because the marquee players are out. Maybe that is just me. Not saying you're wrong if that's what you want to do, I just don't see it that way for any sport.

    The argument is simple I'd rather watch Crosby than Steckle and others that generally are delivering these head shots.

    And one of those is on your team...guaranteed he wouldn't be skating around the ice so big if the instigator rule was gone and someone like probert of kocur were there.
    Post edited by lukin2006 on
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

    "Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    metsfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    yeah ... it's up to the players to a) protect themselves (no more turning your back at the last second to draw a boarding penalty) and b) to respect other players ... you can take a guy out of the play without putting his life/livelihood at risk ...

    having said that - there has to be a crackdown ... and every play is open to review by the nhl ...

    The respect part is really key...I have felt for a long time the nhl players lack respect for one another. That's the big difference between the NHL and NFL, the NFL players for the most seem to respect 1 another, that's why when Suh stomped on that guy there was such a negative reaction.

    Hockey a rough enough sport without the need for head shots and hitting a guy from behind.
    players haven't had respect for each other since helments were mandatory and the instigator rule. the refs shouldn't police the players, the players should police themselves.

    i don't wanna see headshots banned and this be like college hockey, but something needs to be done

    Agree about the instigator rule...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

    "Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,350
    lukin2006 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

    btw - headshots are already banned and that's a good thing ...

    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2 ... -tues.html

    Unless something has changed since March and I know Crosby was calling for a ban in September.

    shit ... my bad ... i could have sworn shanny talking about a suspension where he mentions the player was targeting the head ... ????
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,350
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98mHbrwbLuA

    damm ... backstrom gets undressed on the ice ...
  • Indifference71Indifference71 ChicagoPosts: 12,227
    polaris_x wrote:


    damm ... backstrom gets undressed on the ice ...


    That was a sick SO goal. Kaner's hands are so fast.
    6/18/03, 5/17/06, 6/30/06, 8/5/07, 6/22/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 7/19/13, 11/21/13, 11/23/13, 11/24/13, 10/17/14, 10/20/14, 4/18/16, 4/20/16, 5/2/16, 5/3/16, 8/20/16, 8/22/16
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,350
    polaris_x wrote:


    damm ... backstrom gets undressed on the ice ...


    That was a sick SO goal. Kaner's hands are so fast.

    the slickest part was that you can tell definitively that he was moving forward the entire time ... unlike briere's goal ...
  • kenshuntkenshunt London, Ontario, CanadaPosts: 2,854
    Canadiens fire Jacques Martin

    http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6068 ... L|NHL|home

    They are only 2 points out of 8th lol thats how close the East is.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,350
    how did bourque only get 5 games for that hit?

    that's the shit that really needs to be taken out of the game right now ...
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    NHL delays realignment plan

    ESPN.com news services

    NEW YORK -- The NHL said Friday that it won't go forward with its realignment plan and modified playoff format next season after the players' association refused to agree to the changes.

    The changes were recently approved by the NHL's board of governors. The league said it will maintain its current alignment and playoff format next season.

    "It is unfortunate that the NHLPA has unreasonably refused to approve a plan that an overwhelming majority of our clubs voted to support, and that has received such widespread support from our fans and other members of the hockey community, including players," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said.

    "We have now spent the better part of four weeks attempting to satisfy the NHLPA's purported concerns with the plan with no success. Because we have already been forced to delay and, as a result, are already late in beginning the process of preparing next season's schedule, we have no choice but to abandon our intention to implement the realignment plan and modified playoff format for next season.

    "We believe the union acted unreasonably in violation of the league's rights. We intend to evaluate all of our available legal options and to pursue adequate remedies, as appropriate."

    Daly told ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun the league got the final "thumbs down" from the NHLPA Friday.

    An NHLPA source told ESPN The Magazine's Craig Custance last week that increased travel was a concern for the union.

    "We're gathering travel data," the source said last week. "It's a process. We want to make sure we do our due diligence."
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

    "Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 16,833
    goddamn it. just a bunch of union bullshit.

    I wrote the NHLPA and thanked them for lying to us on why they didn't approve the deal. The players are making thousands of dollars per game and they cite increased travel as why the didn't approve it? Poor babies. I know after watching Rangers / Flyers 24-7 how bad they have it. I mean having your own row on a private luxury jet ... what an injustice! Why can't each player have their own plane? And having your BMW warmed up and waiting for you on the runway at a private airport when you land? Oh, the humanity!

    We might as well get braced for the impending lockout on the horizon if this is the mentality the NHLPA has. :cry:
Sign In or Register to comment.