Options

2023-2024 NHL Regular Season

Comments

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I’m a Rangers fan and was very happy for Lundqvist to get a gold medal, knowing that he’s sure as shit never going to have his name on the Stanley Cup. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    dankind said:
    I’m a Rangers fan and was very happy for Lundqvist to get a gold medal, knowing that he’s sure as shit never going to have his name on the Stanley Cup. 
    Being happy for a player in the Olympics when it's all said and done is a lot different than actually rooting for him in real time to beat your own country!
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I think you Americans will find that when you score a goal in over-time of the gold medal against the Americans in the Olympics, it’ll be hard pressed to find Canadians who don’t have a soft spot for him...even here, across from Detroit, many wings fans I know couldn’t stand Crosby because of the mix-up after Crosby’s first cup where he messed up and did not shake Lidstrom’s hand...they now like Crosby...I guess Gold Medal for Canada changed their tune.
    I live near Pittsburgh and it absolutely digusted me the number of people cheering when Crosby scored that OT goal in the gold medal game.  I'm like, look, be a Penguins fan, fine.  But right now he isn't playing for your team so he can go fuck himself!  Penguins fans don't care. Crosby can do no wrong, even if it's against their country.

I love the Blackhawks but I couldn't give two turds of a shit what Toews, Keith, or Crawford do in the Olympics.
    It doesn't matter, you guys are clearly overmatched in hockey ... lol ... thay were cheering on a winner.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    We know you don't care about international hockey.  Americans only care when they have a legitimate shot at winning...its been 2 Olympics since you have has a legitimate shot.  Even though I didn't think we had a legit shot I watch all team canada mens hockey.  our d team was better than most countries, and if they didn't play dopie against the germans, i think they we could of beat russia.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    You generate better hockey talent than the USA -- which you certainly should.  it is your game and your best players appear to take it very seriously when they have the chance to represent their country.
    Personally, I love hockey, dislike international rules, still like international games, and do not expect the USA to win @ hockey. 
    I do not think it would be fair to say that fans of hockey in the USA do not care about international hockey.

It would be fair, however, to say that most people in America do not care about hockey.  At all.
    If you look at ESPN.com's home page you can note that it is the 6th sport in, when listing scores/stories and updates.
    Right now it is:
    NFL (not even during season)
    NBA (season ongoing)
    MLB (pre-season)
    NCAAM (almost Tourney time)
    Soccer (who the heck knows)
    NHL (seriously, behind Soccer?  :lol: )

Most people chuckle when I tell them I watch NHL games/highlight shows daily. 
    AND -- I am in the Northeast, and grew up in VT. 
    People from most parts of the country do not even know the rules of the game.

Be proud of beating Russia, Sweden, and other countries where it is so important.  Beating the USA at hockey is beating us at a sport most people ONLY care about every 4 years and as part of international play.
  • Options
    Feel badly for Canadian fans when it comes to Lord Stanley's cup, though.  23 years since the Habs last represented Canada in lifting the cup.  I know there are only 7 teams but odds are that a Canadian team should win one soon.  Has to be frustrating. 
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I think you Americans will find that when you score a goal in over-time of the gold medal against the Americans in the Olympics, it’ll be hard pressed to find Canadians who don’t have a soft spot for him...even here, across from Detroit, many wings fans I know couldn’t stand Crosby because of the mix-up after Crosby’s first cup where he messed up and did not shake Lidstrom’s hand...they now like Crosby...I guess Gold Medal for Canada changed their tune.
    I live near Pittsburgh and it absolutely digusted me the number of people cheering when Crosby scored that OT goal in the gold medal game.  I'm like, look, be a Penguins fan, fine.  But right now he isn't playing for your team so he can go fuck himself!  Penguins fans don't care. Crosby can do no wrong, even if it's against their country.

I love the Blackhawks but I couldn't give two turds of a shit what Toews, Keith, or Crawford do in the Olympics.
    It doesn't matter, you guys are clearly overmatched in hockey ... lol ... thay were cheering on a winner.

Clearly outmatched apparently means overtime in the gold medal game?  Ok.  If we were clearly outmatched, we wouldn't have even been there.
    It wasn't about "cheering on a winner."  They were cheering AGAINST their own country all because one guy played on the pro team they like!!  That's ridiculous.  I can only assume since you live across from Detroit, you're either a Wings or Leafs fan.  Would you have rooted for Phil Kessel to score the GWG in OT for the US?  Or Jimmy Howard to shut out Team Canada? I know he wasn't on the US roster, but that's the equivalent of rooting for Crosby to beat the US.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    I'm actually not a huge fan of Crosby ... I think I'm pretty rational person to begin with and really it was a bit trollish of me to post that link knowing that the haters are gonna hate ...

I just think with so many athletes being entitled and assholes off the ice - here you have a guy who by all accounts is a genuinely good guy and he's clearly the most respected player in the game today as voted by his peers ... like hating a guy because he complains to refs ... that's like all the elite players ... in every sport ... and if you watch hockey and are a fan - you have to know that guy is getting cheap shots all the time ... if the league actually was able to remove that part of the game - you don't think he'd be the first to sign up?
  • Options

Clearly outmatched apparently means overtime in the gold medal game?  Ok.  If we were clearly outmatched, we wouldn't have even been there.
    It wasn't about "cheering on a winner."  They were cheering AGAINST their own country all because one guy played on the pro team they like!!  That's ridiculous.  I can only assume since you live across from Detroit, you're either a Wings or Leafs fan.  Would you have rooted for Phil Kessel to score the GWG in OT for the US?  Or Jimmy Howard to shut out Team Canada? I know he wasn't on the US roster, but that's the equivalent of rooting for Crosby to beat the US.

I said the last 2 ... Sochi and SK...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

I said the last 2 ... Sochi and SK...
    A Montreal fan...Montreal fans are the 3rd most liked team in our region.  I do not have a problem with fans cheering someone on just because it’s there home team...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I care about international hockey because it’s hockey. I will always root for the USA women’s team, but for the most part, I stopped cheering for the USA men’s team during the NHL infiltration, which to me went against “the spirit of the thing.” And this year’s team of has-beens was a joke save for Donato the Younger. I still watch the games, though. It’s hockey. I just root for a good game.

I grew up in Florida and have watched hockey since I was five years old. I loved it when we got the Bolts because it meant that I could finally go to games. They were never really my team—I was already a Rangers fan through and through—but I would go because it was hockey. I like the Bolts this year because they’re basically Rangers 2.0.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    So now it’s trolling if an atticle is posted knowing most disagree.  

You should stand by what you post

And yes, all elite athletes whine for the most part.  And you want elite hockey players to just shut up and play, eliminate the instigator rule...these 3rd and 4th line players know they can be dicks because there are no Bob Proberts, Marrt McSorley or Dave Semenko’s who can jump in ang thump some of these punks.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Feel badly for Canadian fans when it comes to Lord Stanley's cup, though.  23 years since the Habs last represented Canada in lifting the cup.  I know there are only 7 teams but odds are that a Canadian team should win one soon.  Has to be frustrating. 
    Meh, I kind of feel for Vancouver and Toronto fans... but other than that, you have Montreal who have iced the best teams of all-time and also won in the 90s... Calgary who won a cup in the 80s and probably should have won another, and the Edmonton dynasty.  I guess Edmonton has been pretty bad for an extended time, but its hard to feel bad when they land so many lottery picks, including McDavid.  Last time Montreal won, it was 8 Canadian winners in 10 years, and 12 in 16.  There was a period of time that the cup was awarded on Canadian ice for a decade.  Canada has also won a ton of international competition, and can still claim hockey superiority (although the gap has narrowed over the past 12-20 years). 

Oh yeah, Winnipeg too.  They could never get out of the first round, and it continued in Phoenix.  Lost their team, and are now 0-1 in the 1st round.  We will see if they can get out, finally.  

Ottawa has been a very good team other than the first few disaster seasons, and a few other blips.... but often are a contender somehow
  • Options
    yeah, I know it was a huge Canadian run in the 80s into the 90s, just been a while.  I know it is their game and they love it far more than US sports fans in general do.
  • Options
    Either Toronto or Edmonton will end the streak ...

Us not having a championship team is more to do with bad management ... 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    Either Toronto or Edmonton will end the streak ...

Us not having a championship team is more to do with bad management ... 
    They need to get to the finals first.  Since Montreal won it only 5 Canadian teams have even reached the finals.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    I agree.  I think it will be Toronto.  They have like a dream team in management and coach...  if they can weather the upcoming expiring elc's effectively, they can do it.
  • Options
    Leafs have not won since the 60s and pre-expansion, right?  Place would go crazy.
  • Options
    I think 67?

Then comes St Louis - Never, joined in 67.  I guess you can lump Minnesota in as well

Then Vancouver and Buffalo - Never, joined in 70

• Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    Leafs have not won since the 60s and pre-expansion, right?  Place would go crazy.

All hell would break loose coast to coast if that happened.

Crosby is one of the best on/off the ice. 

I blame Bettman for Canada's loss of the Stanley Cup to the US.

Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    Beat those Caps!  Woo-hoo!

• Options

had the caps to win last night on my proline.... damn those kings lol
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Nami said:

I am clearly biased as a Kings fan but I think this is the type of year where we can make a run at the Cup.  (If someone can knock the Preds out, that is)  I know that the worm has turned as far as the NHL getting faster....but I think the Kings can still wear a team down over the course of a series and the D/G is still elite.
  • Options
    Nami said:

I am clearly biased as a Kings fan but I think this is the type of year where we can make a run at the Cup.  (If someone can knock the Preds out, that is)  I know that the worm has turned as far as the NHL getting faster....but I think the Kings can still wear a team down over the course of a series and the D/G is still elite.

watched a bit, damn, they are fast.
  • Options
    Just reached out to my guy....want to get down at 8-1 if he can lock it in on the Preds winning the cup.  Probably would throw a small bet on the Kings as well...

• Options
    Got in at +600, sucks that it is not 800 but i can only play what is on the board there.  Decided not to bet on the Kings as well -- I think Nashtucky is the best team by far. 
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    edited March 2018
    Two big points for my Jackets last night.  Take care of business tonight against Detroit and they'll pass NJ for the first wild card spot.  Officer Bob between the pipes.  Let's make it 4 in a row!!!
    Post edited by KC138045 on
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    Really a great time of the year.  I know most folks are gearing up for the NCAA tourney but the last month of the NHL season is out of control fun.
    The Columbus BJs are +5000 on my guy's board, matching what shows above.  What a ride it would be!
  • Options
    Yes, the Leafs currently have the longest championship drought in the NHL.  Prior to my Hawks finally winning a few, they had the longest drought.  (I really like sports teams that are an exercise in futility, don't I?)