Options

*Patagonia/PJ20 backpack review*

Comments

• Options
    Bigda wrote:
    pjradio wrote:
    AND I got mine today in Kentucky.

what?!...thats where I am...however, my town just voted to sell alcohol last year....we're a little behind i guess
    what? no selling alco in Kentucky until a year ago? is that right?

In certain counties that is right, but not in all counties. There has always been a county where one could go to buy alcohol. Of course, even in the dry counties there were places to go......
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    BigdaBigda Posts: 469

In certain counties that is right, but not in all counties. There has always been a county where one could go to buy alcohol. Of course, even in the dry counties there were places to go......

oh my! keeps surprising me there are places like this..
    Prague '95 (w/Neil Young), Warsaw '96, Seattle '98, Katowice x2 '00, Berlin '00, Berlin '06, Katowice '07, Copenhagen '07, Belfast '10, Berlin '10, Amsterdam '12, Prague'12, Berlin x2 '12, Vienna '14, Berlin '14..
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    Bigda wrote:
    pjradio wrote:

what?!...thats where I am...however, my town just voted to sell alcohol last year....we're a little behind i guess
    what? no selling alco in Kentucky until a year ago? is that right?

Spencer County...just last year...(but, to be fair, I could go another mile down the road to get whatever)
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,544
    Got mine yesterday and used it today for the first time. I'd give it a 9 out of 10 only because it would be nice if it was just slightly bigger and this may sound strange but I feel like I have to be a bit gentle with the zippers compared to the other laptop backpack I use (a Targus http://www.amazon.com/Targus-CityGear-Backpack-Notebooks-TCG216/dp/B001BHQSCK). Admittedly, I had a 17" laptop and a small netbook with me today, so I think it wouldn't be as cramped for normal use. Overall though I thought it was comfortable, it looks great, and it's a really good value (well, I guess not now from the flippers on ebay). I'm really happy with it!
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
  • Options
    pjradio wrote:

Spencer County...just last year...(but, to be fair, I could go another mile down the road to get whatever)

but this is not the point to go even a mile, right?
    Prague '95 (w/Neil Young), Warsaw '96, Seattle '98, Katowice x2 '00, Berlin '00, Berlin '06, Katowice '07, Copenhagen '07, Belfast '10, Berlin '10, Amsterdam '12, Prague'12, Berlin x2 '12, Vienna '14, Berlin '14..
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    Bigda wrote:
    pjradio wrote:

but this is not the point to go even a mile, right?

you are correct
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    Got mine today. What a nice surprise after getting home late. It is sweet!! Better than expected.
    Augusta, ME 9/26/96, Mansfield, MA 9/15/98, Mansfield, MA 8/29/00, Mansfield, MA 7/02/03, 7/03/03, 7/11/03, Hershey, PA 7/12/03, Boston, MA 9/28/04, 9/29/04, Montreal 9/15/05, Albany, NY 5/12/06, Hartford, CT 5/13/06, Boston, MA 5/24/06, 5/25/06, Camden, NJ 5/28/06, Las Vegas 7/6/06, MSG, NY 7/24/08, Hartford, CT 6/27/08, Mansfield, MA 6/28/08, 6/30/08, ACL TX 10/4/09, Philly 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Columbus, OH 5/6/10, Hartford, CT 5/15/10, Boston, MA 5/17/10, MSG, NY 5/20/10, 5/21/10, Alpine PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Worcester 8/15/13, 8/16/13, Hartford 8/25/13, ACL Austin TX 8/12/14, New York 9/26/15, New York 5/1/16, Fenway 8/5/16, 8/7/16, Wrigley 8/20/16, 8/22/16, Fenway 9/2/18, 9/4/18
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    4 stars, just because 5 would make it perfect and I don't think it is perfect. But that being said, right before I saw the PJ20 bag I was shopping for a new small day pack to replace my old North Face pack that was stained and wearing out after years of use. I found a Mountain Hardware pack on-line that I liked for $95.00. Luckily I didn't order it immediately. Saw the PJ20 pack and managed to place the order with my phone. Glad I did. Although I haven't seen the Mountain Hardware pack in person I think this pack is just as good AND less expensive.

A couple of things: I wish it had the stretchy straps on the outside to stick a jacket or other stuff in. I like a small zipper pocket on the inside to put small stuff like jewelry, coins, pills, hair bands, etc, and there is none. There is a small zipper pocket on the top outside, but the hydration tube hole comes through it. So if you have a hydration tube you will have to leave the zipper partially unzipped. Or maybe that small zipper pocket is to store the tube.????
    And one final thing: I am going to have a hard time keeping the shiny black exterior looking clean. It will show dust and dirt very easily. The Mountain Hardware I had picked out was a dark red.

But overall I am very happy with it and glad I ordered it. By the way I have a "bigger" day pack that I use for hiking and day trips where I need to take extra clothes and stuff. This one I plan on using as a carry on for travel - as my vacation day pack.

i forgot to add that as well-pricing. i normally pay between $85.-$95. for my quiksilvers. they are HUGE so i guess overall, the pricing is just right for pj20.

that pocket on top is what i am using for keys and cough drops! :lol:

i gotta say, i WORE the bp a little while ago on my way out and i was VERY happy with the comfort of the straps. it didnt even feel like i was carrying a laptop, shoes, drawing supplies, chargers, water, and clothes! :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    STLJOESTLJOE St. Louis, MO Posts: 132
    I love it. 5 stars.
    3/14/94; 4/22/03; 7/9/03; 10/5/04; 5/17/06; 8/2/07; 8/5/07; 8/23/09; 5/4/10; 5/9/10; 5/20/10; 5/21/10; 9/3/11; 9/4/11; 9/2/12; 9/21/12; 7/19/13; 11/15/13; 11/16/13; 12/4/13; 12/6/13
  • Options
    Got it today in San Diego. It looks awesome. Haven't used it yet , but its hard to imagine giving it less than a 4.5 out of 5. Now I just need PJ to tour the west coast in 2012 so I can break it in!
    1995: San Francisco, San Diego
    2000: Phoenix
    2008: Camden 2
    2009: San Diego, Philly 1, Philly 2
    2010: MSG 1, MSG 2
    2011: Alpine 1, Alpine 2
    2012: Missoula
    2013: Wrigley, Phoenix, San Diego, LA1, LA2, Oakland
    2014: Denver
    2016: MSG1, MSG2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
    2018: Fenway 1
  • Options
    Got it today in San Diego. It looks awesome. Haven't used it yet , but its hard to imagine giving it less than a 4.5 out of 5. Now I just need PJ to tour the west coast in 2012 so I can break it in!

YES!!! :D

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

• Options
    one other thing i'd like to mention about the laptop part...
    as i mentioned, i travel with my quiksilver bp ALWAYS. i carry my laptop in there along with other stuff. evvvvverytime i go thru security at the airport, it is a PAIN IN THE BUTT to dig out my laptop and have to rearrange everything ALL over again. just the other day at the airport i was so frustrated and thought, i just need to leave lappy home. :( HOWEVER.......now that i have the PJ20bp???? Lappy is ALWAYS going with me! It is a breeze reaching in the backpack and pulling it out of the sleeve/compartment. All my other stuff stays in place cuz its all seperate! that alone is worth it all to me!!! i've never owned a bp that has a laptop space so.....im ridiculously exxxcited! :lol:
    just thought i'd share that for anyone who travels by plane :D

• Options
    SENROCK wrote:
    as i mentioned, i travel with my quiksilver bp ALWAYS. i carry my laptop in there along with other stuff. evvvvverytime i go thru security at the airport, it is a PAIN IN THE BUTT to dig out my laptop and have to rearrange everything ALL over again. just the other day at the airport i was so frustrated and thought, i just need to leave lappy home. :( HOWEVER.......now that i have the PJ20bp???? Lappy is ALWAYS going with me! It is a breeze reaching in the backpack and pulling it out of the sleeve/compartment. All my other stuff stays in place cuz its all seperate! that alone is worth it all to me!!! i've never owned a bp that has a laptop space so.....im ridiculously exxxcited! :lol:
    i am happy with my timbuk2 bag for that purpose. recommend it.
  • Options
    Bigda wrote:
    SENROCK wrote:
    i am happy with my timbuk2 bag for that purpose. recommend it.

interesting.....

• Options
    go to www.timbuk2.com and see for yourself :)
  • Options
    where is this "hydration reservoir" that the refugio is supposed to have??

oh and 5/5

edit: nvm, found it :)
  • Options
    This is neet!!!!!!!!!!! :):):):)
    6.07.2010 Venice
    4.07.2012 Berlin
    5.07. 2012 Berlin
    7.07.2012 Stockholm

Some words when spoken can't be taken back
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,698
    great pics...

very much lookin forward to the pigeon getting this to the UK.
  • Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    These are great pictures, Sen! I'm drooling here!
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    5/5

Might have a chance to really break it in over Columbus Day weekend. Heading up to Baxter State Park and if all goes well (weather) the pack will travel to the summit of Mt. Katahdin, which is the end of the Appalachian Trail. Last time I hiked the mountain in the fall it snowed above the tree-line, so hopefully mother nature is kind.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    first of all ... that is literally one of the most thorough reviews of an item i've seen ... the pre-picture of the laptop and then a pic of it inside the knapsack is brilliant! ... :lol:

secondly ... my friends call patagonia - patagucci cuz it is high end brand for outdoor clothing ... they don't venture much outside of clothing ... if i had to buy something - i generally pick patagonia because of their environmental and social stance as a corporation ... they are a 1% for the planet company and they will take back your used patagonia clothing and repair it for as long as it's around ... everything i own from them is quality and their customer service is great ...
  • Options
    I'm in Central Illinois and I rec'd mine yesterday. The backpack is great ! I definitely give it 5 Stars ! ! ! :D
    Soldier Field - Jul 11, 1995, Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996,
    Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Stadium - Nov 14, 1997,
    Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Stadium - Nov 15, 1997, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 26, 1998, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 27, 1998, United Center - Jun 29, 1998, Riverport Amphitheatre - Jul 02, 1998, Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000, Assembly Hall - Apr 23, 2003
    United Center - Jun 18, 2003, Fox Theatre - Oct 05, 2004, United Center - May 16, 2006, United Center - May 17, 2006, United Center - Aug 23, 2009, United Center - Aug 24, 2009, Sprint Center - May 03, 2010, Scottrade Center - May 04, 2010, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011
  • Options
    BrandonBrandon Posts: 157
    where's the ukulele holder?
  • Options
    dougfloyd wrote:
    I'd give it a 9 out of 10 only because it would be nice if it was just slightly bigger and this may sound strange but I feel like I have to be a bit gentle with the zippers compared to the other laptop backpack I use (a Targus http://www.amazon.com/Targus-CityGear-Backpack-Notebooks-TCG216/dp/B001BHQSCK).

Yes, I noticed the zippers seemed less sturdy than my other packs too. I am rough on zippers so I hope I don't have a problem. I have a Targus that I use as a work briefcase and it is tough. I've used it for years.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    I'm in Central Illinois and I rec'd mine yesterday. The backpack is great ! I definitely give it 5 Stars ! ! ! :D
    I live in central Il. And received mine yesterday also. My wife won't let me open it until my b-day this weekend. The waiting is driving me mad. But the pics definitely help thanks. Whereabouts are you uncle snuffy?
  • Options
    fionic wrote:
    where is this "hydration reservoir" that the refugio is supposed to have??

oh and 5/5

edit: nvm, found it :)

do share!!

nice review senrock

initially i would have said 2/5 was my rating as i couldn't get over the lack of size

but now i'm thinking i need to look this puppy over
  • Options
    cross7806 wrote:
    I live in central Il. And received mine yesterday also. My wife won't let me open it until my b-day this weekend. The waiting is driving me mad. But the pics definitely help thanks. Whereabouts are you uncle snuffy?

I'm in B'ton.
    Soldier Field - Jul 11, 1995, Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996,
    Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Stadium - Nov 14, 1997,
    Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Stadium - Nov 15, 1997, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 26, 1998, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 27, 1998, United Center - Jun 29, 1998, Riverport Amphitheatre - Jul 02, 1998, Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000, Assembly Hall - Apr 23, 2003
    United Center - Jun 18, 2003, Fox Theatre - Oct 05, 2004, United Center - May 16, 2006, United Center - May 17, 2006, United Center - Aug 23, 2009, United Center - Aug 24, 2009, Sprint Center - May 03, 2010, Scottrade Center - May 04, 2010, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011
  • Options
    Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,977
    Mine is waiting to be slogged into the mountains. Initially I wish it had a waist strap for that purpose, but those straps just get in the way any other time, so maybe I won't even care. I'll just have to see. I do plan to sneak my Nikon 5100 in and see how it likes the ride.

Has NOBODY mentioned the emergency WHISTLE on the chest strap?!?!?! Casn you just hear us at the next show blowing the shit out of those whistles waiting for the band!!!! Encore Break on the next bootleg will be of us tooting our horns!! :lol:

Now, Sen, I have to ask (for my wife) what bad ass pair of shoes are riding in the PJbp? :shock:
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    Wait did you say it came in a plastic mailer from UPS? Not USPS? They're using UPS for this instead of the regular post office? I just need to find out because if it's UPS they don't always leave stuff at my place without a signature...
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    Wait did you say it came in a plastic mailer from UPS? Not USPS? They're using UPS for this instead of the regular post office? I just need to find out because if it's UPS they don't always leave stuff at my place without a signature...

Mine was USPS. Not UPS. I prefer UPS because they leave stuff on the screened in back porch of my office. USPS leaves it on the front porch for the whole world to see (and take). But I got it.